You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Texas Tech University - Lubbock Application Thread
Started by sector9
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I thought the Mayo Clinic rad onc match was the most impressive, personally.
Hi guys. I submitted TMDSAS mid-May, and completed the secondary for Texas Tech Lubbock on June 24. I'm a bit worried that I haven't heard from this school yet (aside from the confirmation of receipt of my application). I've heard from most other schools in my range (3.9 GPA, 30 MCAT, disadvantaged status, received II at Galveston, El Paso, Houston, and San Antonio). Should I be concerned? I hope I didn't bugger up the secondary :/
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys. I submitted TMDSAS mid-May, and completed the secondary for Texas Tech Lubbock on June 24. I'm a bit worried that I haven't heard from this school yet (aside from the confirmation of receipt of my application). I've heard from most other schools in my range (3.9 GPA, 30 MCAT, disadvantaged status, received II at Galveston, El Paso, Houston, and San Antonio). Should I be concerned? I hope I didn't bugger up the secondary :/
I haven't heard yet either and I've been complete since the first week of June. I think it's just a waiting game.
Hi guys. I submitted TMDSAS mid-May, and completed the secondary for Texas Tech Lubbock on June 24. I'm a bit worried that I haven't heard from this school yet (aside from the confirmation of receipt of my application). I've heard from most other schools in my range (3.9 GPA, 30 MCAT, disadvantaged status, received II at Galveston, El Paso, Houston, and San Antonio). Should I be concerned? I hope I didn't bugger up the secondary :/
I don't think anyone should be worrying if they have received four interview invites, unless of course this was your dream score beforehand. But Lubbock typically is not a dream school; it is more a diamond in the rough that is immeasurable in value to those who stumble upon it. You may not be in one of the target groups that the Lubbock adcom committees seek. West Texas ties, I suspect, are of critical importance to being interviewed at this school. It is in their mission statement to recruit applicants who possess such backgrounds.
I don't think anyone should be worrying if they have received four interview invites, unless of course this was your dream score beforehand. But Lubbock typically is not a dream school; it is more a diamond in the rough that is immeasurable in value to those who stumble upon it. You may not be in one of the target groups that the Lubbock adcom committees seek. West Texas ties, I suspect, are of critical importance to being interviewed at this school. It is in their mission statement to recruit applicants who possess such backgrounds.
East Texans are at a disadvantage? Inter-state favoritism? I have no II's, but I was hoping for a Lubbock II. My LizzyM is 67.4, do i have a shot being from Southeast Texas?
East Texans are at a disadvantage? Inter-state favoritism? I have no II's, but I was hoping for a Lubbock II. My LizzyM is 67.4, do i have a shot being from Southeast Texas?
Any current students correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you're at a disadvantage at all regardless of where you are from (unless you are OOS). They just seem to give a slight advantage to those from underserved communities or from West Texas, etc. just because they may better serve the school's mission. I know people from some of the most urban places in Texas interview at TTUHSC.
Last edited:
I don't think that being from SE Texas will significantly disadvantage you. Sure, those from West TX will have at a slight advantage because part of the mission of the school is to train physicians who will serve the surrounding population. However, that's not the only thing that fulfills the mission of the school and I'd say that the majority of my class is from the more "urban" regions of TX like Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, etc.East Texans are at a disadvantage? Inter-state favoritism? I have no II's, but I was hoping for a Lubbock II. My LizzyM is 67.4, do i have a shot being from Southeast Texas?
Ummmm guys you might wanna check your portals because I just randomly did and I had an interview invite for friday the 5th! I never got an email invite lol!
Ummmm guys you might wanna check your portals because I just randomly did and I had an interview invite for friday the 5th! I never got an email invite lol!
Those snakes!
I'm like stressed tf out right now lol what if I had never randomly checked? Woowwwww thank god. Currently adding all medical school admissions email addresses to my contacts so no other interview invites get sent to spam!
So did they not email you at all or did it just get sent to spam?
Just got sent to my spam. After doing some further digging I did get an email, just in my spam folder.
Does anyone who has interviewed here/somewhere else already see the "[Click To Go to School Ranking] button" on your TMDSAS app yet?
Does anyone who has interviewed here/somewhere else already see the "[Click To Go to School Ranking] button" on your TMDSAS app yet?
I don't see that button on my TMDSAS app yet. Where exactly was it located in relation to the other sections?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't see that button on my TMDSAS app yet. Where exactly was it located in relation to the other sections?
Well I was asking bc the button hasn't showed up for me either, in years past I heard it would take ~10 days after your interview date but who knows.
from TMDSAS:
"The ability to enter your match preferences will be available on August 1 at 8:00 AM (CT). This applies only to medical applicants who are Texas residents. To enter your match preferences, you must log in to the application. Once you are logged in, click on the [Click To Go to School Ranking] button."
Last edited:
Well I was asking bc the button hasn't showed up for me either, in years past I heard it would take ~10 days after your interview date but who knows.
from TMDSAS:
"The ability to enter your match preferences will be available on August 1 at 8:00 AM (CT). This applies only to medical applicants who are Texas residents. To enter your match preferences, you must log in to the application. Once you are logged in, click on the [Click To Go to School Ranking] button."
I personally do not see it when I log in, but my residency claimed is Texas...weird...
I personally do not see it when I log in, but my residency claimed is Texas...weird...
According to TMDSAS:
"You will only see this button once a school has updated your status to "Interviewed"."
http://www.tmdsas.com/medical/enter_Match_Preference.html
Now, I just need an interview offer :/
It takes a bit of time for each school to appropriately update your status. I want to say that it took UTMB about two weeks to show up on my ranking page last year.
I interviewed here yesterday, and it was really cool! I went there thinking I would never go to school out in the middle of nowhere but the facilities are actually really nice and they have this cool thing called the "simlab" which has like mannequin patients to "simulate" an actual patient and you can do surgeries and incisions and hear heartbeats and respiration and everything on them. The interviewers were super chill, I had one pediatric endocrinologist and we went 20 minutes over on our interview! Also had an MS-4 and he was really chill too. Hit me up if you have any questions!
Thank you for your kind words! The funny thing is that I currently live in El Paso, the western-most city in Texas, and I also want to work in underserved communitiesI don't think anyone should be worrying if they have received four interview invites, unless of course this was your dream score beforehand. But Lubbock typically is not a dream school; it is more a diamond in the rough that is immeasurable in value to those who stumble upon it. You may not be in one of the target groups that the Lubbock adcom committees seek. West Texas ties, I suspect, are of critical importance to being interviewed at this school. It is in their mission statement to recruit applicants who possess such backgrounds.
But, no reason to stress over something outside of my control. Hopefully, I'll hear something soon 🙂 Thanks again!Well I was asking bc the button hasn't showed up for me either, in years past I heard it would take ~10 days after your interview date but who knows.
from TMDSAS:
"The ability to enter your match preferences will be available on August 1 at 8:00 AM (CT). This applies only to medical applicants who are Texas residents. To enter your match preferences, you must log in to the application. Once you are logged in, click on the [Click To Go to School Ranking] button."
School Ranking button is currently showing on my TMDSAS app, however TTUHSC is the only school that isn't showing up yet ( I interviewed almost a month ago). To anybody who has already interviewed here, do yall see this school on your TMDSAS ranking list yet?
Received II! Will be excited to venture outside of the big few cities in Texas and check out TTU - Lubbock!
Received II! Will be excited to venture outside of the big few cities in Texas and check out TTU - Lubbock!
Do you mind sharing stats/when you submitted? Congrats!
Do you mind sharing stats/when you submitted? Congrats!
Thanks! PM me for stats. I was totally complete on June 8th (including secondary).
Allow me to pose a question to those who are currently enrolled at TTUHSC-Lubbock. What are the best housing options in the area? Before I submitted my deferral paperwork, I had decided that the Savoy Condominiums would be my humble abode. I still entertain the notion of living there, but are there any specific locations a hardened Red Raider would suggest?
It really depends on what you want. I haven't heard anyone say they live in a terrible place, so you just need to find the right combination of features that suits you.Allow me to pose a question to those who are currently enrolled at TTUHSC-Lubbock. What are the best housing options in the area? Before I submitted my deferral paperwork, I had decided that the Savoy Condominiums would be my humble abode. I still entertain the notion of living there, but are there any specific locations a hardened Red Raider would suggest?
During my interview (8-13) there were a few medical students who mentioned that if we were interviewing this early that we stood a great chance at pre-matching November 15th. How true is this?
During my interview (8-13) there were a few medical students who mentioned that if we were interviewing this early that we stood a great chance at pre-matching November 15th. How true is this?
Well I interviewed 08/09 of last year. We heard the adcoms say something along those lines. I did eventually pre-match, but it was December 13th. For your own mental sanity, I would strongly recommend you don't inflate your hopes for a pre-match, regardless of what some individual tells you. If you have high hopes and you don't receive an offer on November 15th, it can be quite devastating as it was to me. Eventually I did get the offer but it was a pretty dark two weeks for me until I slithered out of the depression.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the advice! I don't want to be down in the dumps if it doesn't work out! I'm glad you had a Happy Friday the 13th last December!!!Well I interviewed 08/09 of last year. We heard the adcoms say something along those lines. I did eventually pre-match, but it was December 13th. For your own mental sanity, I would strongly recommend you don't inflate your hopes for a pre-match, regardless of what some individual tells you. If you have high hopes and you don't receive an offer on November 15th, it can be quite devastating as it was to me. Eventually I did get the offer but it was a pretty dark two weeks for me until I slithered out of the depression.
Thanks for the advice! I don't want to be down in the dumps if it doesn't work out! I'm glad you had a Happy Friday the 13th last December!!!
Oh yes. I also happened to procure another pistol that day as well so it was doubly special.
Try not to place too much stock in it; hope for the best, but expect the the worst (waiting for Match Day 😛).During my interview (8-13) there were a few medical students who mentioned that if we were interviewing this early that we stood a great chance at pre-matching November 15th. How true is this?
Last year I interviewed on Tech's second interview day (as well as very early interviews at other Texas schools) and didn't pre-match anywhere. And that was with very good stats, so it's really unpredictable.
Try not to place too much stock in it; hope for the best, but expect the the worst (waiting for Match Day 😛).
Last year I interviewed on Tech's second interview day (as well as very early interviews at other Texas schools) and didn't pre-match anywhere. And that was with very good stats, so it's really unpredictable.
Chillbo, what day was that? Were you and I at the same interview day, the August 9th one?
I believe so!Chillbo, what day was that? Were you and I at the same interview day, the August 9th one?
I was the blond guy in the military green suit.
To be perfectly honest, I can't remember anyone from that day except two people that are in the class now. 😛I was the blond guy in the military green suit.
I got an II on 9/8 and the dates I was offered were 9/12 and 9/19 😵 I mean I was seriously grateful for the invitation, but 4 days notice if I would have selected the first date?!They told you 2 days before your interview date?? Woah...I guess I have to be mentally prepared for that in case it happens to me too!
I haven't interviewed here yet, but only one of the four schools at which I've interviewed are showing on my TMDSAS if that helps.School Ranking button is currently showing on my TMDSAS app, however TTUHSC is the only school that isn't showing up yet ( I interviewed almost a month ago). To anybody who has already interviewed here, do yall see this school on your TMDSAS ranking list yet?
avoid the north and east sides if town and anything else is good. If you can afford it the renaissance apartments are amazing. I am not a TTUHSC but I do attend TTU currently and have lived in Lubbock just over a year now.Allow me to pose a question to those who are currently enrolled at TTUHSC-Lubbock. What are the best housing options in the area? Before I submitted my deferral paperwork, I had decided that the Savoy Condominiums would be my humble abode. I still entertain the notion of living there, but are there any specific locations a hardened Red Raider would suggest?
Not enrolled at TTUHS just TTU and I have lived in Lubbock about a year nowavoid the north and east sides if town and anything else is good. If you can afford it the renaissance apartments are amazing.
I guess it depends on what's "northside," but a lot of people live at the Edge, which is across the street from campus.avoid the north and east sides if town and anything else is good. If you can afford it the renaissance apartments are amazing. I am not a TTUHSC but I do attend TTU currently and have lived in Lubbock just over a year now.
Avoiding the east side is a wise move though; I don't know of anyone living over there, because it's sketch.
Not enrolled at TTUHS just TTU and I have lived in Lubbock about a year now
In the past, I have been warned to forsake the east side of town but I have never been told to also avoid the north side. Anything particularly egregious about the north side? And is LP&L truly a detestable provider?
Yes, they are total dooschbags. For example you can be set up on automatic payments and still get charged late fee's... They are so mother effing dumb it is ridiculous. North side is just ghetto inside the loop and has some weirdos roaming the street. If your into bumming cigs off strangers then it is the place for you, otherwise stick to the south and west sides.In the past, I have been warned to forsake the east side of town but I have never been told to also avoid the north side. Anything particularly egregious about the north side? And is LP&L truly a detestable provider?
School Ranking button is currently showing on my TMDSAS app, however TTUHSC is the only school that isn't showing up yet ( I interviewed almost a month ago). To anybody who has already interviewed here, do yall see this school on your TMDSAS ranking list yet?
I interviewed about a month ago at TTUHSC as well but this school as well as one other school hasn't shown up yet. The other schools that I have interviewed at have though.
Any luck for you 2 or any others having TTUHSC show up yet on their school ranking page on the TMDSAS app? Similarly, this is the only school that ISN'T currently showing up on my school rank page yet, interviewed early August.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any luck for you 2 or any others having TTUHSC show up yet on their school ranking page on the TMDSAS app? Similarly, this is the only school that ISN'T currently showing up on my school rank page yet, interviewed early August.
No, it still hasn't shown up yet for me.
What are the interviews like here?
You have some early morning info sessions, a tour of the HSC and sim center, lunch, interviews, and a student panel, then you're free to go.What are the interviews like here?
The interviews themselves are very laid back and casual (like most of the Texas schools).
I live in Lubbock as an undergrad, so I can answer any questions about the area!
I am from Lubbock and go to UT Austin. I have received 6 interview invites—including UTSW and Baylor—yet Tech is the only school I haven't heard back from. They received my secondary app on 7/18. I don't understand their selection process because I do have West Texas ties, strong ones. My mother was a nurse at Tech for many years. Oh well, it just sucks because it would be nice to have going home for medical school as an option.