2014 - 2015 University at Buffalo (SUNY) Wait List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaxDoc4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd start one. Is april the earliest we can start hearing back?

II september, WL 10/15

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should be in school specific anyway

don't make a new one.

just wait for a mod to move this one.

I dont think we have our rankings yet for the WL

Waitlisted back in October, interviewed in October.

Interviewed 9/3, waitlisted 10/14... Been waiting a long time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The last scheduled interview date is coming up (April 22, 2015), so we should see movement on the waitlist before too much longer.

Based on last year's thread, it looks like the waitlist started moving on May 5th, 2014 (Monday). If they follow the same general schedule, we should expect movement on:

Monday, May 4th, 2015

Get pumped.

Here are some past years' thread, for your reference

Last year they did not release waitlist rankings to applicants -- are we expecting the same this year?

I think the email they sent us said they will not tell us our rank.

The last scheduled interview date is coming up (April 22, 2015), so we should see movement on the waitlist before too much longer.

Based on last year's thread, it looks like the waitlist started moving on May 5th, 2014 (Monday). If they follow the same general schedule, we should expect movement on:

Monday, May 4th, 2015

Get pumped.

Here are some past years' thread, for your reference

Wouldn't wait list movement start earlier because of the new 4/30 deadline? Even more of a reason to get pumped!

Well, 4/30 is a Thursday, so I would think they would wait until the following Monday to start movement.

I hope we all hear some good news....

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Here's where we stand for the moment... (ugly, fixed-width font to keep things tidy)

User.....Interview | Waitlisted | WL->Accept
LaxDoc4........09/??......10/15
demystifie.....10/??......10/??
Dr.Law13.......04/01......04/09
WaitingGame14..03/04......03/12
amandamegan21..04/01......04/09
KR24...........09/03......10/14
justwhy........02/11......02/25
schroedinger...03/25......04/09
Snivellus......??/??......??/??

User........Interview | Waitlisted | WL->Accept.
Halgene........10/01......10/14
ChELover.......03/04......03/12

Hi guys,

MS1 at UB here. I was waitlisted in Jan last year, and accepted in mid June. The waitlist does move a lot. Also, the admission from different schools also definitely talk to each other, so if you have many WLs, it might take longer for them to decide. For now, interview season is coming to an end. So there is not much you can do. However, I do believe that y'all did your absolute best. Get out there and enjoy the nice weather. Do something fun and wild, because once you get into med school, it is LOCKDOWN time lol. Don't stress. Don't hesitate to ask me any questions about UB.

Reactions: 5 users
Any ideas on when we will hear back?

Theoretically, we could hear back any time.
Realistically, there are so few direct-admit slots left at this point that no one should expect to get off the waitlist until after the last interview date (Wednesday, April 22nd). Remember, UB refuses to fill the class until the last interview.

If this year is anything like last year, we should expect waitlist movement around Monday, May 4th.

So have fun for the next 2 weeks. Watch the new Star Wars trailer. And May the Fourth be with you all.

Hi guys,

MS1 at UB here. I was waitlisted in Jan last year, and accepted in mid June. The waitlist does move a lot. Also, the admission from different schools also definitely talk to each other, so if you have many WLs, it might take longer for them to decide. For now, interview season is coming to an end. So there is not much you can do. However, I do believe that y'all did your absolute best. Get out there and enjoy the nice weather. Do something fun and wild, because once you get into med school, it is LOCKDOWN time lol. Don't stress. Don't hesitate to ask me any questions about UB.
Hello, I am currently waitlisted for UB med school, and I have submitted two letters of updates (one last year December and one early this year). Do you think it is good idea to send another one (which will be last letter I will submit) as an update/intent to attend? Just wondering since I have heard that letters following waitlist decision do not affect the final decision. But still I want to keep them updated.

Hello, I am currently waitlisted for UB med school, and I have submitted two letters of updates (one last year December and one early this year). Do you think it is good idea to send another one (which will be last letter I will submit) as an update/intent to attend? Just wondering since I have heard that letters following waitlist decision do not affect the final decision. But still I want to keep them updated.

I would send an update if you in fact DO have significant stuff to update on. I would also send an intent to attend if you INDEED intent to attend. Like I said, you wanna be ethical about letter of intent because admissions do talk to one another. Sending multiple letters of updates that actually have legitimate updates definitely wouldn't hurt. However, it doesn't push you candidacy from a 1/10 to a 9/10 if you catch my drift. Nevertheless, if you and another candidate have similar credential, a school would take you if you are actively updating and showing interest compared to the other one who is idle. GL!

I remember reading mutiple times that UB doesnt take updates or that that updates won't affect your rank post-interview. Has this changed?

Update tomorrow for recent interviewees. More additions to the WL I expect.

Well, the last batch of interviews should be over now. Best of luck, everyone!

last week was the last week of interviews. My fate is being decided tomorrow D:

I am really really really praying for this one.....

I was waitlisted. Interviewed 4/8 and waitlisted today.

Last edited:
last week was the last week of interviews. My fate is being decided tomorrow D:

So the 15th was the last day of interviews (congratulations Sarah, btw!!), and the decisions were rendered today...I'm guessing we can expect to see the same email last year's wait list received, about the class being filled, soon. And the list will start moving after that? I'd think that a few people might be pulled off of the top of the wait list before, if they need to fill a few spots to get to 144, but all the movement last year happened after that email went out on April 30th.

Maybe it will go out sooner this year, if the last interview date was moved up by a week...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Does this mean at an alternate time they'd give us more information?

"We will NOT be able to give you any further information regarding your ranking at this time."

According to SDN, UB did not release rank information last year. However, I wonder, if one were to call, post-April (mid-May) if they'd at least give you a range for which your rank falls.

I do love UB so I am obsessing about this.

So the last interview was last week? I guess things have changed since the summer 2014 email I was basing my assumptions on.

Congrats to Sarah! For the rest of us, this is where we stand.

User........Interview | Waitlisted | WL->Accept.
Halgene........10/01......10/14
ChELover.......03/04......03/12

Desperation....09/17......10/15
PDoc387........04/08......04/23

It would be *wonderful* if they'd let us know our rank this year.

I was waitlisted in October (interviewed in October as well). I know updates won't affect your position on the WL but where would we send letters?

I assume that most people are checking the other thread as well, but one person says that he was offered admission from the waitlist on Friday (April 24).

Here's hoping there are more offers soon!

Was accepted from the WL on Friday (4/24). Interviewed on 12/10 and waitlisted on 12/18. I won't be accepting the offer of admission, so good luck to those hoping for good news from UB!

Perhaps this means the expected timetable is pushed forward a week b.c. they finished interviews a week earlier than last year?

Of course, we still haven't received this email (quoted from last year's thread), so maybe we shouldn't expect too much yet?

"Dear UB Medical Candidate,

The Admissions Committee has finished its interviewing, and we have filled our 2014 Freshman Medical Class.

Our Wait List is a ranked list, and as an opening occurs during the Spring and Summer, we will immediately accept the next highest ranked candidate off the Wait List. This "Rolling" process will continue until Monday, August 11th - which is our first day of Freshman orientation.

At this time, Dr. Severin has decided not to break the Wait List into "thirds". If he changes his mind in the weeks ahead, the "applicant status check" on our internet site would automatically reflect this change.

If you are accepted to another Medical School and no longer wish to remain on our Wait List, it would be courteous to advise us as soon as possible.

I appreciate your patience and understanding in this matter"

[From April 30, 2014]

I interviewed the last day and Dr. Severin said that there were an equal number of empty seats to the amount of applicants at the last interview (approximately 13) so assuming that not every person who interviewed was accepted right away, that means that at the committee meeting on the 22nd, they probably would have chosen people to call from the waitlist to fill those remaining seats right away. And as April 30th approaches and some people drop out of holding their spots, more waitlist movement can be anticipated.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Accepted off the waitlist today around 2:45 via email. I interviewed 4/1, waitlisted 4/9. I will be accepting the spot. Best of luck to everyone still on the waitlist it looks like its starting to move.

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted off the waitlist today around 2:45 via email. I interviewed 4/1, waitlisted 4/9. I will be accepting the spot. Best of luck to everyone still on the waitlist it looks like its starting to move.

Thanks for the specifics! Knowing the time the email went out - even though it likely has no bearing on when future emails will go out - makes my OCD a little less intense. LOL