2014-2015 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MD Essays (Statement of Intent)
If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. 500 words

MD+JMP
UC Berkeley-UCSF Joint Medical Program (MS/MD) combines the resources of two major campuses to allow more extended, individualized pre-clerkship studies with the completion of the Master's thesis involving an in-depth research project, in addition to the medical degree. The JMP core medical curriculum makes full use of case-based problem oriented learning in small groups. Please prepare a two-part essay describing the following:
Please describe the basis for your interest in and your preparations for the MS with research thesis. Given the opportunity to pursue such a degree, what topics, questions or areas of research might you be interested in addressing? 500 words

Please describe the basis of your interest and experience with small group, case based problem oriented learning. 500 words

MD+PRIME
Please describe your experiences with underserved communities, community-based work, leadership roles, and commitment to working with the urban underserved. 500 words

PRIME-US requires a commitment above and beyond the regular medical school curriculum. You will be expected to spend time participating in small group activities and engaging with underserved communities in the Bay Area. Please answer the following questions:

How will you balance PRIME-US with your academic responsibilities and personal life? 250 words

MSTP Essays
Please describe in detail your most recent research project. 500 words
Please list publications, honors, and presentations resulting from your research experience. 500 words
Please describe briefly your reasons for applying to MSTP. 250 words

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just some helpful bits of info from last year's thread:

~7,000 applicants (split pretty evenly IS vs OOS)
~1,500 secondaries
~500 interviews (342/154 IS vs OOS)
~275 accepted (179/94 IS vs OOS)
Last year's first secondary application invitation: July 11th
Last year's first interview invitation: August 30th
Last year's first wave of acceptances: January 29th
Last year's first wave of wait-lists: January 30th
Last year's first wave of wait-list acceptances: May 16th

Note that UCSF is unique in how highly selective it is in handing out secondary applications. As such, your odds of getting an interview invitation are much better if you've received your secondary, compared to submitting secondaries at other schools. Also, UCSF has a very high acceptance rate for those who are interviewed, and tends to pull more off the waiting list than the average school. Overall, this admissions philosophy is highly considerate to applicants, because it spares most applicants the onerous $100+ secondary fee and leaves fewer applicants spending a lot to fly to the interview only to be rejected later. This admissions philosophy is a small window into how UCSF, at large, is very kind, egalitarian, and humble as an institution as a whole.

Most of all, good luck to those applying this cycle. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 users
Does anyone know if the screen involves a cut-off MCAT/GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if the screen involves a cut-off MCAT/GPA?
I'm not sure what the criteria is, it seems a little confusing. Last year I received a secondary here but not UCLA and I know of a few people who got a UCLA secondary and not a UCSF one.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, it's a long shot considering I'm OOS, but I'll try. Good luck to everyone applying!

Applying OOS here too!

Reactions: 1 users
Those numbers worry me. This is the only school which I am applying to that prescreens and seeing as I am OOS, I'm quite worried...but I still have to wait for my AMCAS to be reviewed.

Those numbers worry me. This is the only school which I am applying to that prescreens and seeing as I am OOS, I'm quite worried...but I still have to wait for my AMCAS to be reviewed.
Well, I figure either I get very lucky, or I don't have to pay $400 to fly across the country ^_^ (It's the farthest school to which I'm applying.)

In all seriousness, I would LOVE to be seriously considered. It looks like an awesome school. And all things considered, I'm rather glad they pre-screen so I don't have to waste another 80 bucks or so on a secondary at a school where I don't have a chance anyway. I appreciate that a lot. Really wish more schools did that.

Should I seriously apply here as an OOS student? I'm very interested in the research oriented schools, but I don't know if the combo of applying for a low shot at actually being accepted plus the cost of attendance is worth it as a Texas resident over Baylor or UTSW. I would definitely attend if it made sense economically, this is just one of my borderline schools.

Should I seriously apply here as an OOS student? I'm very interested in the research oriented schools, but I don't know if the combo of applying for a low shot at actually being accepted plus the cost of attendance is worth it as a Texas resident over Baylor or UTSW. I would definitely attend if it made sense economically, this is just one of my borderline schools.
Your question sounds like something to consider once you're already accepted into schools not when you're just applying. If you're interested in UCSF go for it. They screen heavily for the secondary (only ~1500 given out) and then interview 500 people for ~150 spots. Yeah it's harder for OOS, but if you get a secondary your shot of acceptance isn't actually all that low. If you don't get a secondary you're out $36

Your question sounds like something to consider once you're already accepted into schools not when you're just applying. If you're interested in UCSF go for it. They screen heavily for the secondary (only ~1500 given out) and then interview 500 people for ~150 spots. Yeah it's harder for OOS, but if you get a secondary your shot of acceptance isn't actually all that low. If you don't get a secondary you're out $36

Good point. Didn't realize they screened. I just don't want to apply to schools that don't make sense to attend. Seems irresponsible.

Does anyone know when secondary invites come out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just some helpful bits of info from last year's thread:

~7,000 applicants (split pretty evenly IS vs OOS)
~1,500 secondaries
~500 interviews (342/154 IS vs OOS)
~275 accepted (179/94 IS vs OOS)​

Prompts for secondary application last year (may be different this year)
MD only:
Additional Information
If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. 500 Word Limit

Any idea how necessary the "additional information" section is?​

How does the pre-screening process work? (I apologize for my ignorance). Does it principally revolve around GPA and MCAT?

How does the pre-screening process work? (I apologize for my ignorance). Does it principally revolve around GPA and MCAT?

Very good question and I searched for this thread to ask that question. I'm really wondering bc I got a secondary from UC Davis really quickly and based off of other screening procedures (look at the vanderbelt thread for this year) it'd seem like that those who have higher stats receive secondaries sooner, but everyone else is screened holistically. at UCSF and UCLA though I'm guessing something like they go through every application before releasing screening results, hence why they send secondaries in like august. IDK though.

Very good question and I searched for this thread to ask that question. I'm really wondering bc I got a secondary from UC Davis really quickly and based off of other screening procedures (look at the vanderbelt thread for this year) it'd seem like that those who have higher stats receive secondaries sooner, but everyone else is screened holistically. at UCSF and UCLA though I'm guessing something like they go through every application before releasing screening results, hence why they send secondaries in like august. IDK though.
So holistic screening involves GPA, MCAT, EC's, LOR's, PS? I'm not applying this cycle so I have no idea. But obviously, I'm curious about the California schools.

anyone have an idea about how sf treats reapplicants or know of anyone who has had success as one?

So holistic screening involves GPA, MCAT, EC's, LOR's, PS? I'm not applying this cycle so I have no idea. But obviously, I'm curious about the California schools.

Yea that's what I'm thinking. Tho it could be a gpa and mcat and the stats aren't high enough then "chuck it". Ideally it's what you said/I mentioned earlier. Ucsf and ucla are actually pretty holistic from what I've read in old school threads here :)

From what I understand from the UCSF thread for the last cycle (2013-2014), it's a screening that involves everything you said except the LORs. Those are used for secondary screenings.

If only working here meant I could get in here! Argh

from what I've heard, it's a point system for the mcat, gpa, ps, ec's...and if a person reached the baseline score, they will receive a secondary. and it's also nice that if your application doesn't earn you a secondary, it doesn't get thrown away. A second pair of eyes looks over it and decides if you deserve a secondary.

my dream school... I've got 0.000001% chance of getting in. But hey, you only live once, might as well give it a shot.

Reactions: 3 users
So does anyone know when we'll start receiving secondaries? do you think it'll happen this week?

anyone have an idea about how sf treats reapplicants or know of anyone who has had success as one?

Hello,

I am a current student at UCSF who was a reapplicant. If you can show that your application profile is different, and it now makes you standout / more ready for med school / a better fit for UCSF, you'll be looked upon favorably. Good luck.

Any idea how necessary the "additional information" section is?​

Not at all. Mine was blank. The ONLY thing you should put in there should be BRAND NEW information about you that CANNOT be found anywhere else in your primary application.

Yes. Just tried the link.

are you sure it's ucsf and not ucsd? ucsd came in for most ppl today and i havent heard anyone else getting ucsf. what are the prompts?

Um, yes, because I got a different email from ucsd today.

Prompts:
Please let us know if you will be out of the country during the interview season.

If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below.

Prompts:
Please let us know if you will be out of the country during the interview season.

If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below.

nice thanks! what are you stats btw and are you applying for MD or md/phd at ucsf?

Prompts:

Congrats! Hope UCSF sends me some love soon.

Wow, that's nice of them to screen for such a simple secondary!

Fingers crossed as well (though not too hopeful since I'm OOS)

Hello,

I am a current student at UCSF who was a reapplicant. If you can show that your application profile is different, and it now makes you standout / more ready for med school / a better fit for UCSF, you'll be looked upon favorably. Good luck.

Were you a reapplicant to UCSF specifically? If so, did you get an interview the first time? I'm reapplying to UCSF, with an interview there the first time around.

Do people who got the secondary mind posting all the questions (including the MD/PhD) ones?
Also...do you folks think the rest of them will come out this week???

Has anyone else received secondaries yet?

lol that dude is from scrubs? he looked like charlie sheen to me.

scrubs-janitor.gif

(PS: not at all directed at you)