2021-2022 UC San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @mangowolf for sharing this year's questions!

2021-2022 UC San Francisco Secondary Essay Prompts:
1. Provide additional info below (dates, best way to contact) if you will be out of the country during interview season (Late Sept to February, interviews conducted remotely). (300 characters)
2. If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. (500 words)
3. If you are 2021 or earlier college graduate, please use the space below to tell us what you have done since completing your undergraduate degree. (350 words)
4. Do you identify as being part of a marginalized group socioeconomically or in terms of access to quality education or healthcare? Please describe how this inequity has impacted you and your community. (350 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For everyone considering applying, here's last cycle's secondary questions:
  • If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. (500 words).
  • If you are 2020 or earlier college graduate, please use the space below to tell us what you have done since completing your undergraduate degree. (350 words).

Reactions: 1 user
These are additional prompts I saw from last year:

• Applicants are interviewed by invitation only. Please note that we do not conduct regional interviews. Interviews are scheduled from September to February (days vary). Please let us know if you will be out of the country during the interview season. (300 characters)
For MSTP:
  • Please describe your most recent research project, its importance and how it captured your interest. (500 words)
  • Please list publications, honors and presentations resulting from your research experiences. (500 words)
  • Please briefly describe your reasons for applying to the UCSF MSTP. (250 words)
  • Please check the program(s) you are interested in: (checklist)
  • Please select 6 faculty with whom you would like to meet if selected for an interview (dropdown list, you can pick up to 10)
  • Form to add research experiences; at least one experience needs to be entered in order for the page to be completed

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Prospective UCSF applicants I thought it would be right to start this off by checking in with everybody about how far along they are in the verification proccess and how excited are yall to embark on this UCSF med school journey?

Hey all can people who applied to UCSF comment if they have been verified or not?

Ok nice I submitted about early June and have not heard back yet.

Ok nice I submitted about early June and have not heard back yet.
Apps are not transmitted to individual medical schools until 06/25. UCSF seems to screen applicants before sending out secondary apps, so might be a week or two before they send out secondaries after that (not sure if someone else can confirm this).

Apps are not transmitted to individual medical schools until 06/25. UCSF seems to screen applicants before sending out secondary apps, so might be a week or two before they send out secondaries after that (not sure if someone else can confirm this).
Can confirm! Last cycle it took about a month from when my app was sent out to receiving the UCSF secondary.

Reactions: 1 users
If you are 2020 or earlier college graduate, please use the space below to tell us what you have done since completing your undergraduate degree. (350 words).

Any non-trads far out from graduation know if we should mention every single activity we have done ever since, or just the most important stuff?

I read on UCSF's admissions website to "Please be aware that UCSF is participating in the AMCAS letter service, and as such applicants are required to submit their letters of recommendation via AMCAS."

Does that mean UCSF will not accept letters collected through Interfolio?

I read on UCSF's admissions website to "Please be aware that UCSF is participating in the AMCAS letter service, and as such applicants are required to submit their letters of recommendation via AMCAS."

Well letters form Interfolio are delivered to AMCAS first and then to the school through AMCAS, so I would assume that they would accept that

They mean that you can't send them directly from Interfolio to the school. You have to send them to AAMC as the middle man, like @Shazthepaws said.

• Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
Prompts:

- Provide additional info below (dates, best way to contact) if you will be out of the country during interview season (Late Sept to February, interviews conducted remotely). 300 char
- If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. 500 words
- If you are 2021 or earlier college graduate, please use the space below to tell us what you have done since completing your undergraduate degree. 350 words
-Do you identify as being part of a marginalized group socioeconomically or in terms of access to quality education or healthcare? Please describe how this inequity has impacted you and your community. 350 words

@wysdoc

Does UCSF screen applications before giving out secondaries?

Wow yall already getting secondarys already they are doing it very early. May I ask when yall were verified?

Wasn’t expecting these notifications these early dang. OOS hopeful.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Hey yall for those who recieved secondary can you say when you were verified? So we can see a timeline of when you were verified to when you got your secondary. Was it right away after you submitted or after some time

Hey yall for those who recieved secondary can you say when you were verified? So we can see a timeline of when you were verified to when you got your secondary. Was it right away after you submitted or after some time
I have been verified since 6/4 and have not received. It is not based on verification timeline.

Verified on 06/22

Verified on 5/30

Do you identify as being part of a marginalized group socioeconomically or in terms of access to quality education or healthcare? Please describe how this inequity has impacted you and your community. Is this prompt optional or required?

Do you identify as being part of a marginalized group socioeconomically or in terms of access to quality education or healthcare? Please describe how this inequity has impacted you and your community. Is this prompt optional or required?
Optional. Well, at least I really hope it is because I didn't put anything in the text box.

Have you received a secondary yet?

OOS w/o one still (app transmitted to UCSF 7/3)
No, not worried about it yet. Very few people OOS have reported getting one and UCSF has a robust screening process. If you got UCLA or UCSD, you will probably get UCSF

Reactions: 2 users
No, not worried about it yet. Very few people OOS have reported getting one and UCSF has a robust screening process. If you got UCLA or UCSD, you will probably get UCSF
Just to add a data point, received UCSD, UCD, and UCLA so far, no word yet from UCSF or UCI (did not apply to Riverside)

Edit: IS

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
I have gotten UCSD, not UCLA, UCI, or UCSF yet. Hoping they come soon! LM 76 IS no IAs

Are letters of recommendation required to receive a secondary? Wondering if they're used to decide whether to send a secondary or not...

No it is not required they only use it when evaluating secondary to determine if you get an interview or not.

I have gotten UCSD but haven't gotten UCLA or UCSF yet.

I have gotten UCSD but haven't gotten UCLA or UCSF yet.
I'm the opposite haha -- have UCLA but no UCSD or UCSF

Just received UCSD "we have received your verified app" email today, but silence from UCSF. I'm sure we'll be fine... right...?

LM 85??!! You are a beast
Any LM >78 is more-or-less equivalent on a stats basis (ie a 4.0/521 vs a 3.7/523). >LM 78, it’s the WARS that matters.

edit: But either way, can we leave the stats stuff out of the school specifics and just talk about the schools/build camaraderie in a non-marginalizing manner?

• Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
Any LM >78 is more-or-less equivalent on a stats basis (ie a 4.0/521 vs a 3.7/523). >LM 78, it’s the WARS that matters.

edit: But either way, can we leave the stats stuff out of the school specifics and just talk about the schools/build camaraderie in a non-marginalizing manner?
Agreed, but I think we can make an exception for recognition of a 4.0/528 :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users