2014-2015 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So... no secondary by now is probably a bad sign for mid-June verification, yes? It seems like most folks waiting a long time, but 12 weeks seems a bit much. Sigh.

I don't know , I was an early June verification and got mine last weekish

Like Wilson Philips says:
de30cff7e79cd2b832cdb3a046a706a30da156f43f325bbe541c059be7271426.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Same! Secondary request on Friday! Verified early June. I like to think they actually review the entire primary instead of nickel and dime for application fees.
Now I am just hoping the turn around on secondaries, especially because the request cannot exceed 500 words, is a lot quicker!!! But if nothing else, I am more convinced than ever that no news isn't necessarily bad news … at least until October. :)

Secondary this morning, complete 7/17. I am OOS and non-trad, so not sure how my dates relate to IS applicants or those of you who worked for and delivered a 40 MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
My application was verified last month, and my MCAT score was released on the 9th. I received secondaries from UCI, UCD, and UCLA but nothing from UCSD and UCSF. I didn't even receive a receipt e-mail from UCSF so I don't even have an account.... Any thoughts? Did everyone receive a receipt e-mail from UCSF?

Reactions: 1 user
My application was verified last month, and my MCAT score was released on the 9th. I received secondaries from UCI, UCD, and UCLA but nothing from UCSD and UCSF. I didn't even receive a receipt e-mail from UCSF so I don't even have an account.... Any thoughts? Did everyone receive a receipt e-mail from UCSF?

I did not receive an email until the II. I would tend to believe the secondary's you have received to date were automated (I did not apply to any of those schools so uncertain of this). UCSD may have a person in the loop and therefore if by 9th, you men 9/9, it may take some days. As to UCSF, the secondary is not automatic and you may be waiting for some time even if you get an II. Good luck!

Congrats to all the people who got II's! If you have the time, make sure to stop by the Mission Bay campus (can get there via free UCSF shuttle), which is the future of UCSF (including a massive, new hospital opening in Feb 2015)! Most of you will be spending your interview day at the more classic, central campus, Parnassus. Good luck to those still waiting.

Thanks for the advice! I'm still awaiting an II but had an amazing time at the Lights On festival celebrating/fundraising for opening that new hospital in Mission Bay.

I did not receive an email until the II. I would tend to believe the secondary's you have received to date were automated (I did not apply to any of those schools so uncertain of this). UCSD may have a person in the loop and therefore if by 9th, you men 9/9, it may take some days. As to UCSF, the secondary is not automatic and you may be waiting for some time even if you get an II. Good luck!
Okay. I will wait patiently. Thank you!

I was in SF today for a work thing and as I was driving through the city I kept picturing myself being a UCSF student. A girl can dream, right?

Reactions: 6 users
Hi @bluemachine, I'm wondering the same thing! Can't find the info anywhere. @pyrrion89, do you have any input on this? Thanks in advance!

I'm in no way affiliated with the admissions committee, but, like with most schools, I'd make a (hopefully educated) guess that a substantial update letter can't hurt and could help. An additional guess is that a pub would count as significant. Try to throw in a sentence or two about how the research connects to your interest/passion in XYZ which you hope to further using XYZ programs at UCSF, you get the idea.

I'm in no way affiliated with the admissions committee, but, like with most schools, I'd make a (hopefully educated) guess that a substantial update letter can't hurt and could help. An additional guess is that a pub would count as significant. Try to throw in a sentence or two about how the research connects to your interest/passion in XYZ which you hope to further using XYZ programs at UCSF, you get the idea.
Thank you @pyrrion89 !

Seems like another no secondary request for me this year. Guess I can try appealing this year.

II earlier today! Complete since mid-July, so I didn't think I would get one...maybe this penguin magic has something to it? ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
FYI: "Applicants may provide an update in the Additional Information section of the secondary application. If you have already submitted the secondary application, we ask that you not provide an update until we have reached a decision regarding an interview."

FYI: "Applicants may provide an update in the Additional Information section of the secondary application. If you have already submitted the secondary application, we ask that you not provide an update until we have reached a decision regarding an interview."
Duh! The secondary is to expand on an activity or otherwise update it.... talk about redundancy - "updates" on top of updates? That they have to explain it is equally funny, but then again... people ask if you can update. I just can't imagine what anyone has of significant value to update in little more than a month. And if you've cured cancer, they'd likely recognize the name without you having to say a word! (And if you've published, haven't you already mentioned you were close to publishing elsewhere in what's been submitted so far?)

Duh! The secondary is to expand on an activity or otherwise update it.... talk about redundancy - "updates" on top of updates? That they have to explain it is equally funny, but then again... people ask if you can update. I just can't imagine what anyone has of significant value to update in little more than a month. And if you've cured cancer, they'd likely recognize the name without you having to say a word! (And if you've published, haven't you already mentioned you were close to publishing elsewhere in what's been submitted so far?)

The update was pretty significant so I thought it was worth mentioning. To each their own! Best of luck this cycle

Well I submitted the secondary over a month ago and in the mean time, a paper I wrote on research I conducted at UCSF was accepted for publication. It's hard to know what is worth sending in or not but I thought it was worth mentioning. To each their own! Best of luck this cycle
Right.. but wasn't what you were working on and prospect of its being published in the secondary you submitted or elsewhere in the primary under activities? All I am saying is that the trajectory is at least on the radar and since they don't accept updates to the updates, it would stand to reason that there are others who have been and currently are in the same position, i.e., they're used to it being something to consider. Look at it this way, when you get an interview, you'll have something truly congratulatory to talk about!!

Right.. but wasn't what you were working on and prospect of its being published in the secondary you submitted or elsewhere in the primary under activities? All I am saying is that the trajectory is at least on the radar and since they don't accept updates to the updates, it would stand to reason that there are others who have been and currently are in the same position, i.e., they're used to it being something to consider. Look at it this way, when you get an interview, you'll have something truly congratulatory to talk about!!
Fair enough!

Secondary invite received on 9/15!!! Primary verified/transmitted late July. OOS, <70 LizzyM score- this has basically made my week. Keep faith yall.

Reactions: 4 users
early June primary submission....and secondary request today (9/18)!! Stoked.

UCSF, I LOVE you. Please please please love me back with an interview.....

:)

Reactions: 5 users
For the people who have IIs and don't have a place to crash in SF, what hotels are you looking into?

ugh, dream school here. Applied UCSF/UCSF PRIME-US. Complete 8/12, LizzyM < 68. IS. Nothing yet - secondary gave me hope, but I do feel like the stats will preclude me from an II...

Interview invite a few minutes ago! Out of state. I can't believe it. I am not able to think straight right now.

Reactions: 9 users
Is anyone else here a re-applicant to UCSF who has NOT received a secondary both cycles? IS or OOS, doesn't matter.

Also, if you do receive a secondary, are you allowed to apply to other programs even if you indicated MD-only on AMCAS?

Received a secondary about an hour ago. Reapplicant to UCSF, didn't receive a secondary last year (must have done something right this time? lol). Submitted AMCAS on the first day possible, so it's been a long wait for this last one! :) Not super hopeful considering super average stats but still kinda excited!!

After submitting the secondary application UCSF sent the confirmation email which says it will take "4-6 weeks" for them to review. It has now been almost 7 weeks, is/was anybody else in this situation? (I applied MSTP if thats any different.)

Also, best of luck to everyone still waiting on a secondary! :)

I am in the same spot, and I imagine many people are. Our applications might have been reviewed and put in the reject pile, they might not have been seen yet, or they might still need further review. We don't really have any way of knowing from the outside looking in, and worrying about how long its taking is just going to freak you out more. If you're confident enough to apply MSTP I'm sure you'll find a home (or multiple homes) somewhere.

After submitting the secondary application UCSF sent the confirmation email which says it will take "4-6 weeks" for them to review. It has now been almost 7 weeks, is/was anybody else in this situation? (I applied MSTP if thats any different.)

Also, best of luck to everyone still waiting on a secondary! :)
According to the md phd II page, I don't think anyone has heard from ucsf. Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 users
I think yesterday marked 8 weeks for me. This is my dream school and I'm really hoping for an interview here, but I'm not too surprised at the silence so far. I'm currently sitting on 2 II, 2 rejections, and 24 nothings.

If this makes anyone feel any better, here's a "was" tale - I got an II after over 8 weeks of post-secondary waiting, so just because it's taking a long time doesn't mean there's no hope! UCSF might just be a little slow this year. :)

Reactions: 2 users
On the bottom of the actual secondary app, it says we should expect to wait up to 12 weeks...this contrasts with the complete email (4-6) but makes me feel a loooot better and i hope it does the same to you all! :)

Reactions: 2 users
hey guys just wondering-does applying to prime and jmp in any way affect your chance in the regular md admissions? i know that prime interviews are conduct post acceptance, but i was wondering if applying to prime can impact your application to the regular md program. i was considering doing so because i believe my interests and experiences fit with all programs, but i didn't want to minimize my chances at any program. thanks for the help!

Last edited:
About how long is everyone waiting between submitting secondary and getting an interview? :)

8 weeks. Even though they said 4-6 in that damn email.

Reactions: 1 users
What % of applicants are sent a secondary?
someone in this thread said they are supposedly sending more secondaries this year than the previous year. could be true, could be misinformation, but i think the traditional stats are somewhere on the first page.

I'm intrigued by the idea of a longitudinal clerkship experience. I didn't know this when I first applied, but it looks like UCSF has several of these, including PISCES (at Parnassus) and KLIC (at Kaiser in Oakland). The student portal lists three other "structured and longitudinal programs."

Any current UCSF students have any perspective on these programs?

Two questions:

I sent in three rec letters (all professors, one stellar, one great, one decent) through AMCAS but can get two others (PI and volunteer coordinator). They each need about a week to write the letters, and this Monday will be 2 weeks since I get the secondary. Should I wait for the new letters to be sent through Interfolio before hitting submit?

Also, for the update/expand prompt, I know it's optional and that a lot of people are interpreting it as "update" only, but we can expand on our activities right? I wrote a short essay about why I chose the specific ECs I have (since they're ~atypical), had a few people critique it (they say it's stronger than my PS), but I'm not sure if I should send it in because it's not exactly an "update" essay. Thoughts?

Thanks ya'll!!

I don't believe that any of the UCs have automated secondaries. I thought that they all screened the primary application before sending out their secondaries.

What % of applicants are sent a secondary?
I think approximately 25% of the applicant pool is sent a secondary app. They usually send out secondaries to 1,500 students and the number of students applying can range from 5,000-7,000 per year. :oops:

ugh, dream school here. Applied UCSF/UCSF PRIME-US. Complete 8/12, LizzyM < 68. IS. Nothing yet - secondary gave me hope, but I do feel like the stats will preclude me from an II...
You're not alone! Hang in there!!

so I just got a secondary here about 30 minutes ago.

It's pretty (well extremely)late in the cycle... but I've heard that they are very selective with their secondary invites. I should fill it out, right?

Edit: My AMCAS was verified in mid June... and I'm a re-applicant who got a secondary way, way earlier (back when I had a lower MCAT and not as strong experiences)

Last edited:
so I just got a secondary here about 30 minutes ago.

It's pretty (well extremely)late in the cycle... but I've heard that they are very selective with their secondary invites. I should fill it out, right?

Edit: My AMCAS was verified in mid June... and I'm a re-applicant who got a secondary way, way earlier (back when I had a lower MCAT and not as strong experiences)

Yes, you should fill it out. It's not late.