2014-2015 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received an interview at Stanford slated for mid-November. Since I live in the east coast, I've sent an in-the-area email to the California schools that I've been complete at since August. However, I've been complete at UCSF only since September, so I'm wondering whether it'd be presumptuous of me to send an ITA email to UCSF. Thoughts?
I don't think it could hurt. They should understand the financial burden of interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to those who have just been invited to interview for all the questions, but what are the first available interview dates now? Thanks! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I received an interview at Stanford slated for mid-November. Since I live in the east coast, I've sent an in-the-area email to the California schools that I've been complete at since August. However, I've been complete at UCSF only since September, so I'm wondering whether it'd be presumptuous of me to send an ITA email to UCSF. Thoughts?
I sent them one and the response was..."thank you for your email, but just wait for your turn".

I just got a secondary today (10/8) around 6pm. I'm kind of in disbelief. I was verified early July! What does it even mean at this point?

Sorry to those who have just been invited to interview for all the questions, but what are the first available interview dates now? Thanks! :)
There was one spot in late October and 6-7 days in November.

Reactions: 2 users
There was one spot in late October and 6-7 days in November.

This makes me wonder if different dates are available for different people. I had to wait about two weeks to schedule my interview while I made travel arrangements, and there were always exactly five interview dates open. When I scheduled mine earlier this week they were all in mid-November to early December. I'm out of state, did not apply to JMP or PRIME.

It's been around 6 weeks since I sent in my secondary now, hopefully this silence breaks soon. OOS-ers with II's, how long did it take between being complete and receiving the II?

So this interview is closed file, and I have a bunch of things I can talk about in my interview. I am sure many of you are in the same boat. How are you choosing what to talk about? Are you trying to guess what they want to hear? And if so, how are you guessing what they want to hear?

Thanks!

So this interview is closed file, and I have a bunch of things I can talk about in my interview. I am sure many of you are in the same boat. How are you choosing what to talk about? Are you trying to guess what they want to hear? And if so, how are you guessing what they want to hear?

Thanks!

Almost all closed file interviews begin with "Tell me about yourself."

This is your opportunity to bring certain aspects of your application to the forefront of their attention. Personally, I try to combine a truncated version of my "why medicine" story with the highlights (and some fun info) from my resume. For example, I lead something like: "So I'm Hella Nutella and I recently graduated from the Universitá di Ferrero Rocher with a degree in chocolate studies and am currently working at a local Nutella factory, doing quality control. Growing up, I always imagined that I would be a personal trainer, but after tasting chocolate for the first time I knew I was destined for this career. In college I conducted research on sustainable cocoa production and received a grant to work with Lindt in truffle development. In my spare time I enjoy sleeping, marathoning Netflix shows, and eating copious amounts of chocolate."

From there, your interviewer will usually go back and pick out little things they want to discuss further. "Oh wow, Hella! I love Lindt truffles, do tell me more about what flavours you worked with!"

My interviewers also ended by asking "Is there anything else you'd like us to know?" Of course, in the heat of the moment, I totally forgot all the important things I meant to bring up. :( Good luck! You are going to have a brilliant time. I think everyone left the day wowed over by UCSF and glowing from Dean Wofsy's introductory speech.

Reactions: 10 users
I just got a secondary today (10/8) around 6pm. I'm kind of in disbelief. I was verified early July! What does it even mean at this point?
It means you're still in the running!!! :) congrats! Especially because it doesn't seem like anyone's gotten a UCSF II for mstp (according to the II thread and talking with some beastly app people at my last interview, of those groups I'm sure someone would have gotten an II if they had sent them yet...)

Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh, shot through the heart UCSF:( First rejection that really stung... Complete 7/20, Post secondary. Note, this was for MD only (I applied both MD and MSTP, but if not already rejected from MSTP... I don't believe this bodes well.)+pity+

ouch, are these the first rejections from UCSF?

Ugh, shot through the heart UCSF:( First rejection that really stung... Complete 7/20, Post secondary. Note, this was for MD only (I applied both MD and MSTP, but if not already rejected from MSTP... I don't believe this bodes well.)+pity+

Post secondary rejection today :(:(:(:( Complete late Aug, IS, LizzyM ~77. Good bye UCSF and good luck to everyone!

I'm sorry guys :(
Those are some powerful stats too..

Reactions: 1 users
Post secondary rejection today as well. Really stings! Good luck to everyone else who is still in the run.

Might be a dumb question but I received an email from UCSF last night inviting me to complete a secondary, which I did. My question is does everyone get this email or do they review the applicant before sending him/her an invitation to fill out a secondary?

Might be a dumb question but I received an email from UCSF last night inviting me to complete a secondary, which I did. My question is does everyone get this email or do they review the applicant before sending him/her an invitation to fill out a secondary?

They review. Congrats on getting the secondary!

Post secondary rejection today as well. Really stings! Good luck to everyone else who is still in the run.
I'm so sorry :(. I'm sure plenty of other schools will love you! Mind sharing when you were complete? I just want to know when I should expect the rejection they're going to send me as well.

Post sec rejection. Heart = shattered. Soul = hopeless. Motivation to work = 0. Was hoping theyd show this boi some love. Guess not. Ugh i just wish i hadnt spent the last four years of my life working so hard for ucsf specifically. I wish i had lived a little.

I'm so sorry :(. I'm sure plenty of other schools will love you! Mind sharing when you were complete? I just want to know when I should expect the rejection they're going to send me as well.

Sure. I was complete on 7/22.

Post sec rejection. Heart = shattered. Soul = hopeless. Motivation to work = 0. Was hoping theyd show this boi some love. Guess not. Ugh i just wish i hadnt spent the last four years of my life working so hard for ucsf specifically. I wish i had lived a little.

Truly understand how you feel. I am probably a couple of weeks behind you!

Ugh, shot through the heart UCSF:(

Oy, friend. I'm sorry to hear that. I was rejected from one of my very top choices not too long ago, so I feel like I can relate a lot. But you're obviously totally awesome judging from all the places that want you, and when it comes to folks at your caliber, it's more apparent than ever that the process is a bit of a crapshoot. There's got to be a lot of good news waiting for you yet this cycle -- I'm sure of it!

Hey, man, I'm really sorry. I'll bet, though, that every bit of those four years will pay off one way or another. You won't regret it for long. And it's not too late to live a little more. If you're really straight out of undergrad -- I mean, your best years are just starting. :)

Got a surprise secondary 10/10, so there is still hope for anyone else who is waiting. Was verified way back in the beginning of July, LizzyM<72, OOS, laughably low MCAT compared to UCSF's average.

Reactions: 8 users
Hi all. Sorry if this question has already been answered, but I couldn't seem to find info on this. I just got a secondary from UCSF. I am a non-traditional applicant with an mcat and gpa decently lower than their median scores. I was wondering what the next stage of the process involves since they don't really request any additional info on the secondary. So what helps an applicant move from the round of 1500 to interview invites. Do they now evaluate some additional aspect of your application? Thanks for all your help!

UCSF MD rejection last Friday...

BUT in the same email was a Joint Medical Program interview invite! My 1st choice program, so I'm ecstatic, though a little sad about the other door closing. LizzyM ~70, complete 8/13

Last edited:
Oy, friend. I'm sorry to hear that. I was rejected from one of my very top choices not too long ago, so I feel like I can relate a lot. But you're obviously totally awesome judging from all the places that want you, and when it comes to folks at your caliber, it's more apparent than ever that the process is a bit of a crapshoot. There's got to be a lot of good news waiting for you yet this cycle -- I'm sure of it!

Hey, man, I'm really sorry. I'll bet, though, that every bit of those four years will pay off one way or another. You won't regret it for long. And it's not too late to live a little more. If you're really straight out of undergrad -- I mean, your best years are just starting. :)
@noolsy you are too kind! :) and best wishes for you too. @pinkPEACE, really feeling you there buddy. For all others interested, I verified with admissions that an MD rejection=mstp rejection too (which of course makes sense, but I did have a glimmer of fake hope before confirming, lol)

Got a secondary today, thought it might have been a prank or a mistake tbh. Same (exact) tale as TheHikingLife and whitesox2005, so... Yay dark horses/underdogs...?

Reactions: 3 users
Nice to still see the request for secondaries... now Im back to curious when the last time II's were sent out, esp when "ask adcom" threads seem to say California schools pretty much booked till the new year already.

Does anyone remember what Dr. Wofsy said about when we should hear back on decisions?

Does anyone remember what Dr. Wofsy said about when we should hear back on decisions?

Decisions are officially supposed to go out January 2015, according to the packets given out. I don't think I remember hearing otherwise.

Decisions are officially supposed to go out January 2015, according to the packets given out. I don't think I remember hearing otherwise.

N = 1 anecdotal evidence, but at my interview session (early Oct), they speculated that our date could hear anywhere between late November and January. So possibly sooner.... but most likely later.

However, now that the 15th hit, my heart is going to skip a beat every time I see this thread with unread posts. :nailbiting:

N = 1 anecdotal evidence, but at my interview session (early Oct), they speculated that our date could hear anywhere between late November and January. So possibly sooner.... but most likely later.

Late November would be nice! Crossing my fingers now and hoping they manage to make it on the earlier side...

However, now that the 15th hit, my heart is going to skip a beat every time I see this thread with unread posts. :nailbiting:
That's what I thought but I wanted to make sure I wasn't just being overly hopeful.... Hopefully, it will be earlier I don't think I can wait til January!!! I gots to knowww

That's what I thought but I wanted to make sure I wasn't just being overly hopeful.... Hopefully, it will be earlier I don't think I can wait til January!!! I gots to knowww

I feel your pain! This school was an absolute dream and I am crossing my fingers that our love will be reciprocated...

Everyone on my interview day was confused about the dates too. I think some admissions member said January, while Dean Wofsy mentioned November. :shrug:

Too bad about the UCSD decision deferral y'all got, too! Good luck! (And hopefully my late date can sneak me into the 10/30 decision batch. ;)).

I completed my secondary at the beginning of August. Have not heard anything yet. Anyone on the same boat? Any advice or insight? Thank you so much!!!

I feel your pain! This school was an absolute dream and I am crossing my fingers that our love will be reciprocated...

Everyone on my interview day was confused about the dates too. I think some admissions member said January, while Dean Wofsy mentioned November. :shrug:

Too bad about the UCSD decision deferral y'all got, too! Good luck! (And hopefully my late date can sneak me into the 10/30 decision batch. ;)).
Yeah, Michael from the Admissions Office said January so I'm a tad confused. I'll give the office a call sometime in December if we don't hear back and try to get some inside info to report on here.

I'm sure you'll do amazing and our UCSF dreams will come true!!! And hopefully in two weeks we can celebrate some good news from SD :highfive:

Nice to still see the request for secondaries... now Im back to curious when the last time II's were sent out, esp when "ask adcom" threads seem to say California schools pretty much booked till the new year already.
I received an invite a few days ago :) Wish you the best of luck!!!

I will run this race... And prepare myself for life ahead. ☺️

Same! Beginning of August for me. Hopefully we'll hear some good news soon :)

Same for me too and fingers crossed for all of us! I have been fortunate enough to be admitted to some wonderful schools this week and I feel somewhat ashamed for complaining, but my heart is still in the Bay Area. I don't even know if I'd pick UCSF over the other schools I've been accepted to, but I just want to have the chance to interview, check it out, and decide for myself. Good luck, everybody!

Last edited:
Complete 7/22 heard nth yet too :(

Edit: Opps nvm just got the rejection email

Last edited:
Rejected post-secondary. My activities and goals likely did not match very well with UCSF; I still got II from other schools more aligned to my interests. Will still root for the SF Giants in the World Series next week despite this, however. 2010 champs, 2012 champs, 2014? Even years=playoff victories