You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Wayne State University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Christmas is postponed again, kids.Just got off the phone with Wayne. They said that the first round of acceptances will go out sometime next week. Apparently the director of admissions is gone until Friday, and she will still need some time to review everything after she gets back.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah I called early this afternoon and they said, "Ummm they met yesterday, it's going to be at least until next week before they start making offers."
this is a really bad question to ask now, i know
but if i had only been accepted to one school - wsu (and had sent my decision to attend there), did i need to do anything before the apr 30th to let admissions know that i'm continuing on attending there?
how would amcas/med schools even know if you've been accepted to 2+ schools and haven't selected one past apr 30th?
but if i had only been accepted to one school - wsu (and had sent my decision to attend there), did i need to do anything before the apr 30th to let admissions know that i'm continuing on attending there?
how would amcas/med schools even know if you've been accepted to 2+ schools and haven't selected one past apr 30th?
Thank you for checking!Just got off the phone with Wayne. They said that the first round of acceptances will go out sometime next week. Apparently the director of admissions is gone until Friday, and she will still need some time to review everything after she gets back.
Hey guys,
So, I recently received a letter in the mail about a medical post bacc program for Wayne State and was wondering if anyone knew the statistics and GPA/MCAT averages that were accepted in the past.
So, I recently received a letter in the mail about a medical post bacc program for Wayne State and was wondering if anyone knew the statistics and GPA/MCAT averages that were accepted in the past.
Hey guys,
So, I recently received a letter in the mail about a medical post bacc program for Wayne State and was wondering if anyone knew the statistics and GPA/MCAT averages that were accepted in the past.
Are you asking about GPA/MCAT avgs of those accepted from undergrad into the post-bacc program or those accepted from the post-bacc into the med school?
I don't know the numbers, but I know current med student classmates who said it wasn't too hard to get into the post-bacc program, which they felt gave them an advantage getting into the wayne med school (in addition to the in-state resident advantage).
Schools that accept you can see if you have other offers (not which schools they're from, though). Yes, you should have notified them. Reach out to them immediately and tell them you accept their offer if you haven't already. You should have sent that in writing long ago. It's required but non-binding so there's no reason not to have sent it in.this is a really bad question to ask now, i know
but if i had only been accepted to one school - wsu (and had sent my decision to attend there), did i need to do anything before the apr 30th to let admissions know that i'm continuing on attending there?
how would amcas/med schools even know if you've been accepted to 2+ schools and haven't selected one past apr 30th?
Schools that accept you can see if you have other offers (not which schools they're from, though). Yes, you should have notified them. Reach out to them immediately and tell them you accept their offer if you haven't already. You should have sent that in writing long ago. It's required but non-binding so there's no reason not to have sent it in.
apologies, i miscommunicated. do i need to do anything else besides having sent my acceptance of their offer to let them know, with respect to the apr 30th date, that i still plan on going to that school?
Didn't withdraw on 4/30, but I plan on withdrawing soon after accepting an offer elsewhere from a WL on deadline day. So I would guess there will be a little bit of attrition after 4/30 as well. Hope one of you gets my seat!
Given the slowness of Wayne, it shouldn't make much difference. Good luck at Pittsburgh!
Ah, not to my knowledge, nope.apologies, i miscommunicated. do i need to do anything else besides having sent my acceptance of their offer to let them know, with respect to the apr 30th date, that i still plan on going to that school?
Not trying to upset anyone, but I was informed that they will probably not be accepting a lot of students from the waitlist this year, compared to previous years. I am also waitlisted here, but have been sent the post-bacc information.
Not trying to upset anyone, but I was informed that they will probably not be accepting a lot of students from the waitlist this year, compared to previous years. I am also waitlisted here, but have been sent the post-bacc information.
Where did you hear that from?
Where did you hear that from?
My pre-med advisor. Yesterday, they had meetings with some advisors across the state and when she asked that's what she was told. She was in a lot of meetings all day.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not trying to upset anyone, but I was informed that they will probably not be accepting a lot of students from the waitlist this year, compared to previous years. I am also waitlisted here, but have been sent the post-bacc information.
When did you guys get post bac information?
Does everyone get information on the post bac? Or did we have to sign up for it?
Does everyone get information on the post bac? Or did we have to sign up for it?
I haven't received anything about it either.
The post-bacc program will only be offered to students that meet the criterion found on the WSUSOM's webpage for the Office of Diversity & Inclusion. Not everyone will be offered it and it is directed to applicants who were considered to be disadvantaged during their academic careers.
So uhhh...how much do lectures vary from year to year? =)
Anatomy/Histology block = Get 2-3 Histo lectures for most days and 1-2 anatomy for most days (because there are labs too)
Physio/Biochem block = Here's where you see the change in number of lectures. 3-4 lectures for both Physio and Biochem most days (Avg. 6 hours of lectures most days)
Neuro/Nutrition/Genetics = Similar pattern (avg. 6 lectures on lecture days) but with Neuro labs, Genetics labs, and patient panels, slightly less lectures than Physio/Biochem block overall.
you mean per week right?Anatomy/Histology block = Get 2-3 Histo lectures for most days and 1-2 anatomy for most days (because there are labs too)
Physio/Biochem block = Here's where you see the change in number of lectures. 3-4 lectures for both Physio and Biochem most days (Avg. 6 hours of lectures most days)
Neuro/Nutrition/Genetics = Similar pattern (avg. 6 lectures on lecture days) but with Neuro labs, Genetics labs, and patient panels, slightly less lectures than Physio/Biochem block overall.
Received a letter on Saturday dated May 6th indicating I was no longer on the alternate list and my application could "no longer be considered for review."
However, the letter had typos and bore no official signature or formal signature at the bottom. I'm not sure what to think of it as it seems to run contrary to the previous letters issued by the school. Especially as I have not received either a telephone call or email.
However, the letter had typos and bore no official signature or formal signature at the bottom. I'm not sure what to think of it as it seems to run contrary to the previous letters issued by the school. Especially as I have not received either a telephone call or email.
Last edited:
Received a letter on Saturday dated May 6th indicating I was no longer on the alternate list and my application could "no longer be considered for review."
However, the letter had typos and bore no official signature or formal signature at the bottom. I'm not sure what to think of it as it seems to run contrary to the previous letters issued by the school. Especially as I have not received either a telephone call or email.
Weird it wasn't signed! I called Wayne last week and they said they were going to send out waitlist acceptances the beginning of this week, so you'll know soon. Do you have jerk friends who would prank you? Is it on official letterhead?
Weird it wasn't signed! I called Wayne last week and they said they were going to send out waitlist acceptances the beginning of this week, so you'll know soon. Do you have jerk friends who would prank you? Is it on official letterhead?
It is on official letterhead and realistically it is likely an official letter, but it seems to run counter to their communication in December about my addition to the alternate list, as well as being just a little "off" in other ways. I plan on calling today to figure it out.
It is on official letterhead and realistically it is likely an official letter, but it seems to run counter to their communication in December about my addition to the alternate list, as well as being just a little "off" in other ways. I plan on calling today to figure it out.
Best of luck!
Maybe today they'll stop playing with our hearts! Good luck, everyone!
I just called. I was told that they won't be admitting anyone today, and they do not know what day this week they will be sending out acceptances.
AGHHHHHHHHHH!
Lol what? No, I mean per day.you mean per week right?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My buddy got the same letter. I can't imagine a medical school would send an unsigned letter with typos in it. If they really did, I don't know if I'd want to attend a school with that little attention to detail. Can you imagine if our personal statements had typos in them?Received a letter on Saturday dated May 6th indicating I was no longer on the alternate list and my application could "no longer be considered for review."
However, the letter had typos and bore no official signature or formal signature at the bottom. I'm not sure what to think of it as it seems to run contrary to the previous letters issued by the school. Especially as I have not received either a telephone call or email.
Well, after calling, it is--unfortunately--a legitimate letter.My buddy got the same letter. I can't imagine a medical school would send an unsigned letter with typos in it. If they really did, I don't know if I'd want to attend a school with that little attention to detail. Can you imagine if our personal statements had typos in them?
Well, after calling, it is--unfortunately--a legitimate letter.
This is rather disconcerting for me. I didn't know Wayne rejected people at this point in the cycle.
Apparently they weren't planning on it, but they are indeed taking fewer people from the waitlist this year so the back two third of the list they just cut off early.This is rather disconcerting for me. I didn't know Wayne rejected people at this point in the cycle.
Apparently they weren't planning on it, but they are indeed taking fewer people from the waitlist this year so the back two third of the list they just cut off early.
So sorry to hear that, CDWelsh! I'm sure you are an exceptional applicant!!
It's all good. Maybe third time's the charm! I'm hoping the best for all of you guys (and gals?) this week!So sorry to hear that, CDWelsh! I'm sure you are an exceptional applicant!!
How do you know this?Apparently they weren't planning on it, but they are indeed taking fewer people from the waitlist this year so the back two third of the list they just cut off early.
Just what the secretary of admissions said upon my calling her.How do you know this?
Are we ever going to find out?
I think all the acceptances were on a Wednesday so maybe tomorrow!Are we ever going to find out?
When did you guys get post bac information?
I got mine by e-mail a week before the due date. I was shi**ing bricks! There were four essays, transcripts, letters of rec, etc. the due date was Monday; however, like other students stated, it is only for students considered disadvantaged. They only accept around 7 students every year.
Did anyone have any luck in hearing today?
I got mine by e-mail a week before the due date. I was shi**ing bricks! There were four essays, transcripts, letters of rec, etc. the due date was Monday; however, like other students stated, it is only for students considered disadvantaged. They only accept around 7 students every year.
Did anyone have any luck in hearing today?
Oh! The best part? We have to interview for that program! I was under the impression I was out of that part for a while now, at least until residency applications start. Afraid not, time to get back into beast mode
.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So should we expect to hear updates tomorrow? I feel like they wouldn't send out acceptances on the weekend.
Hopefully. I find it strange that we haven't seen any positive waitlist movement on this thread even after 04/30. There have clearly been more than a few withdrawals. Could really use that "wave of waitlist admissions" right about now...So should we expect to hear updates tomorrow? I feel like they wouldn't send out acceptances on the weekend.
I'm thinking whoever guessed the acceptances would come out after the Canadian acceptance date was right, so probably Monday? Does anyone want to call? I would, but I have called twice in the past two weeks...
I'm thinking whoever guessed the acceptances would come out after the Canadian acceptance date was right, so probably Monday? Does anyone want to call? I would, but I have called twice in the past two weeks...
I called and they said next week.