You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Dartmouth College (Geisel) Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hey I'm thinking of applying to Dartmouth in the next app cycle. If I took a leave of absence for a year after completing two years of university am I considered a non-traditional student?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wrong thread - this is for current app cycle onlyHey I'm thinking of applying to Dartmouth in the next app cycle. If I took a leave of absence for a year after completing two years of university am I considered a non-traditional student?
Wrong thread - this is for current app cycle only
My question isn't year dependent though
It's still probably more likely to get a good answer on the general Dartmouth thread. Also go on the school's website - it's clearly outlined 🙂My question isn't year dependent though
Secondary SUBMITTED
. Although this school is def a SUPER REACH for me.!!! o
. Although this school is def a SUPER REACH for me.!!! oAnyone know how to pronounce Geisel?
@CaliforniaDreamer , after watching some Youtube videos, I believe it's Guy-sull. Not a phonetics expert so I hope you know what I mean.
It's a German origin name
It's a German origin name
It's the name of the man behind Dr. Seuss! When he studied at Dartmouth: Theodor Geisel. I love the school for doing this 🙂
Submitted Secondary. Letters of recommendation still not in
I look SO red in my picture, it's embarrassing. Technically, uploading a picture shouldn't change any of the colour parameters, yet there's a stark contrast to what's appearing on my secondary vs what I have saved on my laptop. jhsjksfjkhskjd 😡
I look SO red in my picture, it's embarrassing. Technically, uploading a picture shouldn't change any of the colour parameters, yet there's a stark contrast to what's appearing on my secondary vs what I have saved on my laptop. jhsjksfjkhskjd 😡

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Submitted Secondary. Letters of recommendation still not in
I look SO red in my picture, it's embarrassing. Technically, uploading a picture shouldn't change any of the colour parameters, yet there's a stark contrast to what's appearing on my secondary vs what I have saved on my laptop. jhsjksfjkhskjd 😡![]()
The colors swapped when you uploaded or just what it printed out as?
The colors swapped when you uploaded or just what it printed out as?
The colours swapped I would say. In my PDF file my face looks extremely red, as If I had a 3rd degree burn or something. I don't understand because the picture I thought I uploaded did not have this "colour palette". I wish we could see our uploaded pictures before actually sending the application in. I would've played with the lighting and colour settings to give a better visual representation of how I actually look. Oh well - it's too late now.
I decided not to include a picture because it said optional and the dimension requirements were weird. Why would they want a picture wider than it is tall?
I thought this too!! I decided to include my picture because in my case I think it helps 🙄 but yea the dimensions made it look a bit strange....
I thought this too!! I decided to include my picture because in my case I think it helps 🙄 but yea the dimensions made it look a bit strange....
Haha I legitimately didn't have a professional picture that fit the dimensions! Would probably have been nice to include but if THAT'S the thing that makes or breaks me--well I would have reservations about Dartmouth in that case.
Oh wow, I didn't even read the dimension requirement haha. They accepted the submission, so I guess my dimensions were okay.
for the what are u taking for 15-16 academic year question, im taking classes oonly in fall but they arnt set in stone I might add/drop some courses do I have to let them know? also im not taking lasses In spring, and I also don't know what ill be doing then wht should I write here... I just want to travel honestly...
Ummmm crap. For the "share something about yourself" question, I copied and pasted an answer I used for George Washington and forgot to change the name of the med school at the end.
Am I completely screwed for Dartmouth? 🙁
Am I completely screwed for Dartmouth? 🙁
Ummmm crap. For the "share something about yourself" question, I copied and pasted an answer I used for George Washington and forgot to change the name of the med school at the end.
Am I completely screwed for Dartmouth? 🙁
According to Catalystik and RogueUnicorn, the answer is yes.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-with-wrong-school-name.947206/#post-13016776
According to Catalystik and RogueUnicorn, the answer is yes.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-with-wrong-school-name.947206/#post-13016776
Ouch yeah, I have separate word docs for each school's secondary. I sit on them for 24 hours after being comfortable with a draft, final set of edits and then copy and paste. Layers of redundancy like that prevents simple mistakes.
I do the same 🙂Ouch yeah, I have separate word docs for each school's secondary. I sit on them for 24 hours after being comfortable with a draft, final set of edits and then copy and paste. Layers of redundancy like that prevents simple mistakes.
Ummmm crap. For the "share something about yourself" question, I copied and pasted an answer I used for George Washington and forgot to change the name of the med school at the end.
Am I completely screwed for Dartmouth? 🙁
You should email them and tell them you noticed a mistake in your essay (don't have to specify it was THIS mistake) and ask if they can reopen your application. Dartmouth was very responsive when I emailed them. Einstein reopened my application due to some web formatting issues I notified them about. This is not a good look, but it's not entirely over!
What if I made a typo? It's actually more like grammatical error due to copy/paste mistake (redundant words). I noticed two mistakes...Also, I didn't realize I could put one page length of information, so I would like to add more info on my additional info essay. Is this a good reason to ask for reopening my application? Or should I just forget it.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks so much! Exactly the advice I needed. Glad to hear they're super responsive too. 🙂You should email them and tell them you noticed a mistake in your essay (don't have to specify it was THIS mistake) and ask if they can reopen your application. Dartmouth was very responsive when I emailed them. Einstein reopened my application due to some web formatting issues I notified them about. This is not a good look, but it's not entirely over!
I know I've actually been sitting on my Dartmouth secondary for a while, wondering if I should reuse GW's essay or come up with a new one. In the end I decided to reuse because I'm running out of time and energy. And I reread the essay twice on two separate occasions, but the school name was literally the very last two words and I guess I somehow managed to miss it. ;_;Ouch yeah, I have separate word docs for each school's secondary. I sit on them for 24 hours after being comfortable with a draft, final set of edits and then copy and paste. Layers of redundancy like that prevents simple mistakes.
You sure? I feel like at least one person on SDN would have gotten one if they did.Interviews came out today, my friend recieved one
You sure? I feel like at least one person on SDN would have gotten one if they did.
Maybe they're really on their A-game this time around? Earliest I'm seeing ever for them was on 8/9 but that was in 2011-12
Your friend liesNot sure which day as it doesn't say on the portal but the same day the secondary was received it was submitted
Do they send complete emails?
Not sure which day as it doesn't say on the portal but the same day the secondary was received it was submitted
Do they send complete emails?
Yup. They do send complete emails.
You should email them and tell them you noticed a mistake in your essay (don't have to specify it was THIS mistake) and ask if they can reopen your application. Dartmouth was very responsive when I emailed them. Einstein reopened my application due to some web formatting issues I notified them about. This is not a good look, but it's not entirely over!
So their response is that they can't reopen it but if I send the correction to her, she can do it for me. I guess I'm telling her I wrote the school name wrong then... ;_;
So their response is that they can't reopen it but if I send the correction to her, she can do it for me. I guess I'm telling her I wrote the school name wrong then... ;_;
That's a shame, I know Dartmouth has a soft spot for us Canadians too.
Is it honestly that bad? I answered their prompt with a diversity essay I wrote for GW. I didn't write about how much I wanted to attend the school and then accidentally put the wrong school name. Surely they must understand that students might want to share similar info about themselves to multiple schools and mistakes happen? Why is withdrawing my best option? What are the repercussions if I don't withdraw? I mean they can't blacklist me and prevent me from matriculating to all other US med schools for something like this if I don't withdraw, right?In all honesty, I would politely withdraw my application if I was in your shoes.
Dartmouth is actually one of my top choices and best fits so I reaaaally want a chance. *sigh*
highly doubt there any repercussions besides a rejection. these people are busy with their own admissions process, and I highly doubt they take time out of their day to blacklist you. aint no body got time for that.Is it honestly that bad? I answered their prompt with a diversity essay I wrote for GW. I didn't write about how much I wanted to attend the school and then accidentally put the wrong school name. Surely they must understand that students might want to share similar info about themselves to multiple schools and mistakes happen? Why is withdrawing my best option? What are the repercussions if I don't withdraw? I mean they can't blacklist me and prevent me from matriculating to all other US med schools for something like this if I don't withdraw, right?
If I were in your shoes, I would not withdraw since you already paid a hefty fee. Just email the lady back about the mistake, and take a deep breath and forget about it.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks guys for your input. I'm going to email her back asking her to change "George Washington" to "Geisel School of Medicine". Oh god this should be interesting...
Is it honestly that bad? I answered their prompt with a diversity essay I wrote for GW. I didn't write about how much I wanted to attend the school and then accidentally put the wrong school name. Surely they must understand that students might want to share similar info about themselves to multiple schools and mistakes happen? Why is withdrawing my best option? What are the repercussions if I don't withdraw? I mean they can't blacklist me and prevent me from matriculating to all other US med schools for something like this if I don't withdraw, right?
Dartmouth is actually one of my top choices and best fits so I reaaaally want a chance. *sigh*
I'd also refrain from having my SDN username and FB username from matching... hopefully it's not your surname.
Last edited:
Yeah there's honestly no point in withdrawing. That's completely getting rid of any chance for an II. There's even been people on SDN who have said they wrote the wrong school name by accident and were still accepted to the school they messed up the secondary for. Stay in the running and good luck!
Thanks guys for your input. I'm going to email her back asking her to change "George Washington" to "Geisel School of Medicine". Oh god this should be interesting...
Let us know how it goes! Again, you've paid your fee, the mistake has been made, and the woman has actually extended a nice offer to correct your mistake--not all schools would do this. Best to go for it and see what happens. I'm sure adcoms see much more egregious errors and in worse contexts.
Thanks guys for your input. I'm going to email her back asking her to change "George Washington" to "Geisel School of Medicine". Oh god this should be interesting...
My suggestion:
Write an email with the entire body of the essay included -- it can be the same essay, with just the name changed -- and ask her to replace the current with the one you sent. This way you don't draw attention to what you needed changed specifically.
Also, for all the concern about whether or not this will disqualify you, let me suggest that it seems unlikely that the woman who answered the phone is actually going to end up being one of the members of the ADCOM who actually makes the decision. I am doubting reviewers often answer phones, but I could be wrong. Don't sweat it too much, regardless.