You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Dartmouth College (Geisel) Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I would say that you should at least make note of something they would raise an eyebrow to when looking at your primary. This gives you the opportunity to tie together any loose ends that you have.Wondering if the second essay can be used to explain my lackluster undergrad GPA and sell my MCAT and 4.0 SMP
For the open-ended essay question, do you guys think it would be OK to submit a diversity essay that I wrote about being a first-generation, low-income student? I have a 600-word essay about how being low-income and first generation affected my motivations and perspective, but not sure if I should use it here.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the open-ended essay question, do you guys think it would be OK to submit a diversity essay that I wrote about being a first-generation, low-income student? I have a 600-word essay about how being low-income and first generation affected my motivations and perspective, but not sure if I should use it here.
Seems fine to me!
What is everyone's opinion on using the second essay to discuss helping a family member manage a chronic illness over the last two years and reflecting on what I learned? I've used versions of this as a "challenge essay" but I am not quite sure what they are looking for. This information is not mentioned anywhere else in my application.
What is everyone's opinion on using the second essay to discuss helping a family member manage a chronic illness over the last two years and reflecting on what I learned? I've used versions of this as a "challenge essay" but I am not quite sure what they are looking for. This information is not mentioned anywhere else in my application.
That's along the lines of what I did for this essay. I talked about what I learned from this experience and how it made me the person I am
D
deleted674723
Should I submit a secondary without being verified?
Should I submit a secondary without being verified?
Yesss. Within 2 weeks! It won't be reviewed until verification but I'm sure they still note timeliness, so I'd say go for it!
I had a very vivid dream last night about opening my inbox and reading a rejection email from Geisel...the stress begins..
Strange...I had the same dream for Case...So much so that I can visualize the e-mail notification on my phone still.
I had a very vivid dream last night about opening my inbox and reading a rejection email from Geisel...the stress begins..
Strange...I had the same dream for Case...So much so that I can visualize the e-mail notification on my phone still.
Well then it's a good thing we're all going to school for medicine and not fortune telling! We got this, guys, no worries!
Amen to that!Well then it's a good thing we're all going to school for medicine and not fortune telling! We got this, guys, no worries!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you guys think that 2100 characters (350) words is long enough for a Why Dartmouth essay? Or should I aim for longer?
2 weeks?Yesss. Within 2 weeks! It won't be reviewed until verification but I'm sure they still note timeliness, so I'd say go for it!
First time poster!
For question 1, I'm working as a researcher. I gave a brief overview of what the lab that I'm working in is interested in, but do you think that I should explain my specific project? It might confuse some admissions people if they aren't familiar with the work.
For question, 2, do you think that this is a good spot to talk about a low verbal MCAT score?
Thanks!
For question 1, I'm working as a researcher. I gave a brief overview of what the lab that I'm working in is interested in, but do you think that I should explain my specific project? It might confuse some admissions people if they aren't familiar with the work.
For question, 2, do you think that this is a good spot to talk about a low verbal MCAT score?
Thanks!
Last edited:
Does anybody have a sense of how LGBT friendly the adcom at Dartmouth is?
I would be surprised if there was any admissions committee that was not LGBT friendly.Does anybody have a sense of how LGBT friendly the adcom at Dartmouth is?
I am old enough to actually remember a time at which I suspect very few adcoms were LGBT friendly, so I am a little wary. I'd love to hear from someone who has some experience with this issue--do you?I would be surprised if there was any admissions committee that was not LGBT friendly.
The MSAR states that they do not discriminate on sexual orientation or gender. And medicine is a very progressive field, I honestly do not think you will have difficulties. Maybe in the bible belt, but still doubtful. Plus, schools are always looking for more ways to add diversity.I am old enough to actually remember a time at which I suspect very few adcoms were LGBT friendly, so I am a little wary. I'd love to hear from someone who has some experience with this issue--do you?
First time poster!
For question 1, I'm working as a lab tech. I gave a brief overview of what the lab that I'm working in is interested in, but do you think that I should explain my specific project? It might confuse some admissions people if they aren't familiar with the work.
For question, 2, do you think that this is a good spot to talk about a low verbal MCAT score (6)?
Thanks!
I wouldn't get into details, there is no real need and it doesn't say anything about you as an applicant.
And yes, I would. That's going to be something troubling for adcoms, verbal is often the most important section.
Does anyone know when Geisel starts sending IIs?
Last year they started sending out IIs 8/18.
Cool, thank you!Last year they started sending out IIs 8/18.
Submitted tonight! Right on the 2 week mark. One of my top choices.
The status page shows green for all aspects, including LORs received. Does this mean I am complete? I haven't gotten any email saying so.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
calm downThe status page shows green for all aspects, including LORs received. Does this mean I am complete? I haven't gotten any email saying so.
This school is pretty meh but I have heard a few good things.
Excellent contribution. A+.
The status page shows green for all aspects, including LORs received. Does this mean I am complete? I haven't gotten any email saying so.
I received an e-mail when I was complete, which wasn't immediately after I submitted. I'd look out for the e-mail on Monday.
Thanks, I am very calm. Does anyone else know the answer to my question? This is my first submitted secondary I would like to understand the process.calm down
Thanks amigo/aI received an e-mail when I was complete, which wasn't immediately after I submitted. I'd look out for the e-mail on Monday.
Not all med schools send emails to let you know that your application is complete so be sure to regularly check the app portals for each school if they're available 🙂 Good luck with the rest of your secondaries!Thanks, I am very calm. Does anyone else know the answer to my question? This is my first submitted secondary I would like to understand the process.
Hi everyone,
Do you know if there will be any formatting issues if I directly paste my secondary essays from Pages into the application? I remember the nuisance of having to retype my entire PS into AMCAS the first time and would like to avoid any similar experiences going forward in the process. 😛
Do you know if there will be any formatting issues if I directly paste my secondary essays from Pages into the application? I remember the nuisance of having to retype my entire PS into AMCAS the first time and would like to avoid any similar experiences going forward in the process. 😛
Added Dartmouth late and submitted today!
Same. Submitting tomorrow!
Has anybody figured out what the word or character limits on the secondary essays/statements are?
Has anybody figured out what the word or character limits on the secondary essays/statements are?
From last years thread, I think the consensus was no more than one page for question 2.
Does anyone have anything other than the green dots and "Your secondary application has been received and is in process."
Does anyone have anything other than the green dots and "Your secondary application has been received and is in process."
Nope!
Mine is exactly the same.
I did receive a complete email. It will most likely only come in on a business day though. And earlier on this thread someone concluded that the limit was around 10,000 characters (see top post on Page 2). So, I think you can be as descriptive as you like lol.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Received a complete email today!
When did you submit the secondary?Received a complete email today!
When did you submit the secondary?
About a week ago, but my reference letters were submitted yesterday!
+1Complete email today as well, submitted 7/27.