2015-2016 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I called a few weeks ago and they said I was right smack in the middle of the top 1/3. It's just logic I'm using. A Waitlist can't truly be fixed until everyone is done interviewing. A person who interviews on the last day could have just barely not reached an acceptance, therefore being right on the top of the list, which would push the rest of us further down


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I hope it starts moving soon. Are you IS?
 
Great news that there is at least a little movement! Kind of bummed though since I don't really have anything to update my schools on.
 
I hope it starts moving soon. Are you IS?
I'm OOS, but it's the ideal situation for me. Focus on primary care (peds), furthest south of my choices, in a city without the big city intimidation effect. I got told to F*** off 3 times while walking to one of my interviews in a big city. The students told me that it's a common colloquial greeting lol


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interviewed the last day available here...I forgot to ask them during the interview day how long it would take to find out if/where I am on the waitlist.
 
Got an email yesterday saying the interview process at EVMS is over lol. Hadn't heard back post-secondary until now.
 
That's what I initially thought, that maybe I was bumped down, but the lady said that the previous person who told me of my position was "probably misinformed" and that my position was always in the middle third. //shrugs
I just called them and they said the thirds never shift, just some people can be pulled off before may
 
Waitlisted just now Upper 1/3 (feels like most people get the upper 1/3)

Interviewed the week of 3/20

How many people come off the upper 1/3?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The consensus number is ~80. But EVMS likes to have a 50/50 split of IS/OOS, so that will play into it.
80 people of the class come from the waitlist or only 80 acceptances from the waitlist? i also have a feeling that they interviewed more people this year
 
Just wanted to make sure, when they say they can pull people from the middle and bottom third, that's usually only if they couldn't find a suitable "replacement" in the upper third ie. the went through the 100+ people in the upper third first?
 
Waitlisted today, upper 1/3 club as well. This was my best interview by far so for my self-esteem's sake I'm really hoping that they weren't giving any more acceptance by the time my file got its review
 
Waitlist email today. Middle third. 500 total on waitlist that was notified. I talked with a previous alumnus and he said they consider people from all over the waitlist and try to accept people most similar to the people who passed up in order to keep diversity. So here's hoping my doppelganger rejects EVMS.
 
Waitlisted today, upper 1/3 club as well. This was my best interview by far so for my self-esteem's sake I'm really hoping that they weren't giving any more acceptance by the time my file got its review
I haven't seen any recent acceptances. Welcome to the club.
 
we should try and find out how specific the demographics are that they pull off from the waitlist. i assume its more specific than OOS male getting replaced by an OOS male. also 500 people on the waitlist is huge
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats!!! Would you please be able to share generally what advice the student gave on how to move forward? I'd love to get off the WL here!
I've been told that the school will consider letters of intent and updates, and that keeping in contact every few weeks helps as well.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
I know for a fact they accept letters of interest and intent. I know a current M1 who got in off the waitlist here after sending a letter of intent.
 
we should try and find out how specific the demographics are that they pull off from the waitlist. i assume its more specific than OOS male getting replaced by an OOS male. also 500 people on the waitlist is huge

Some information I got from calling the Office today, probably mentioned before but restating: they said they do select off WL based off demographics like OOS vs IS, M vs F. I also interpreted that it seems they do not necessarily pick off the top 1/3rd of the WL and may instead choose from other tiers, based on factors I don't know; but I may have understood this wrong.
 
Some information I got from calling the Office today, probably mentioned before but restating: they said they do select off WL based off demographics like OOS vs IS, M vs F. I also interpreted that it seems they do not necessarily pick off the top 1/3rd of the WL and may instead choose from other tiers, based on factors I don't know; but I may have understood this wrong.
ya i know people who were on the top 1/3 last year and didnt come off but people from middle third did. thats why i think the selection demographics are more specific than just OOS or IS M or F
 
I know for a fact they accept letters of interest and intent. I know a current M1 who got in off the waitlist here after sending a letter of intent.
Do you know if they prefer letters to be sent to the admissions office (like when sending in updates) or did the M1 send it straight to the dean?
 
Do you know if they prefer letters to be sent to the admissions office (like when sending in updates) or did the M1 send it straight to the dean?

I honestly have no idea. The person told me about sending the letter like back in September, but the admissions office is super friendly, if you call and ask they could probably tell you who the best person to send it to is
 
So this is what I gathered from my phone call with them. There's 490 people on the waitlist, most of which will be selected from the top 1/3. However for diversity they will select from all over.

And the website says ~300 acceptances overall. If we conservatively assume only 150 sent by March 30, that means 150/490 will be accepted. If there are ~163 per third and nearly all WL applicants come from the top 1/3 (have seen figures such as 80-90 and even 99% in past threads) then at least 130 of the top third should be safe, maybe even 146 if you use 90%.

That leaves the top 1/3 people with pretty good odds.... Of course these numbers are extremely speculative and should not be trusted. Still encouraging though
 
And the website says ~300 acceptances overall. If we conservatively assume only 150 sent by March 30, that means 150/490 will be accepted. If there are ~163 per third and nearly all WL applicants come from the top 1/3 (have seen figures such as 80-90 and even 99% in past threads) then at least 130 of the top third should be safe, maybe even 146 if you use 90%.

That leaves the top 1/3 people with pretty good odds.... Of course these numbers are extremely speculative and should not be trusted. Still encouraging though
I wonder how many on the top 1/3 have multiple acceptance as well.
 
And the website says ~300 acceptances overall. If we conservatively assume only 150 sent by March 30, that means 150/490 will be accepted. If there are ~163 per third and nearly all WL applicants come from the top 1/3 (have seen figures such as 80-90 and even 99% in past threads) then at least 130 of the top third should be safe, maybe even 146 if you use 90%.

That leaves the top 1/3 people with pretty good odds.... Of course these numbers are extremely speculative and should not be trusted. Still encouraging though
Where did you get the 80% of people in top 1/3 got in?
 
And the website says ~300 acceptances overall. If we conservatively assume only 150 sent by March 30, that means 150/490 will be accepted. If there are ~163 per third and nearly all WL applicants come from the top 1/3 (have seen figures such as 80-90 and even 99% in past threads) then at least 130 of the top third should be safe, maybe even 146 if you use 90%.

That leaves the top 1/3 people with pretty good odds.... Of course these numbers are extremely speculative and should not be trusted. Still encouraging though

I would assume they send more than 150 acceptances though so your numbers may be too high.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
And the website says ~300 acceptances overall. If we conservatively assume only 150 sent by March 30, that means 150/490 will be accepted. If there are ~163 per third and nearly all WL applicants come from the top 1/3 (have seen figures such as 80-90 and even 99% in past threads) then at least 130 of the top third should be safe, maybe even 146 if you use 90%.

That leaves the top 1/3 people with pretty good odds.... Of course these numbers are extremely speculative and should not be trusted. Still encouraging though
I believe that they would have already offered at least 200+ acceptances for yield protection.
 
Have there been any straight out acceptances recently?
I think when someone called with one of the last interview invites, the lady on the phone told her that they were pretty much interviewing for a waitlist spot. Plus at the beginning of march when I got my position, I was told there were about 360 on the waitlist, now there's 490, so I would think not that many people were given acceptances recently.
 
I think when someone called with one of the last interview invites, the lady on the phone told her that they were pretty much interviewing for a waitlist spot. Plus at the beginning of march when I got my position, I was told there were about 360 on the waitlist, now there's 490, so I would think not that many people were given acceptances recently.

I can confirm, openly admitted there were no open acceptances left to give at my interview (the last one).
 
The 80% came from the quick math in my post. Numbers used were extremely conservative though. Recalc based on 200ish acceptances instead of the 150 I used would mean 100 taken overall with maybe 80 taken from top 1/3 so that's still a decent 50% chance for top third people

It's all meaningless speculation though as I said