2015-2016 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Called the office today to see if I could get more info on waitlist movement and here's what I was told:

-Most movement is from the top third, but they can pull people from the other tiers; it's rare but has happened before in the past, and the lady kindly told me not to get my hopes up as someone who is in the middle third.
-They look at demographics (male/female, IS/OOS) but also at exposure and experiences when looking for someone to replace the declined acceptance because they want to maintain the diversity--of course, only the adcoms know the specifics but this was the most that the lady could tell me since she didn't know all the details.
-The do not work strictly from the top of the waitlist to the bottom, but of course, you are more likely to be pulled off if you're in the top third. And again, this is because of demographics.
-If you send in updates/letters of interest, they are not guaranteed to be read UNLESS you are being considered from the waitlist ie. if there is a pool of candidates that are likely to be pulled from the waitlist, they might look at the updates/letters of interest and take that into consideration. This is due to the fact that there are just so many people on the waitlist that it would be impossible for the adcoms to try to read through every single update/LoI that is received.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Was hoping we would see SOME movement this week since they are done interviewing. Last year there was movement on 4/9 then not until 4/23, only going by last years thread. Not that I'm obsessively checking or anything. :whistle:
 
After reading several threads and being in the top one third myself, I just want to see the god damn paper with my point ranking and name on it 🙁 They are such a tease
 
Can anyone tell me the exact date that students with multiple acceptances have to make a decision? I'm assuming that is when we will start to see some movement for those of us on the waitlist.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Waitlist decision today, middle 1/3. All hope has been lost. FML, won't be checking this thread anymore, goodluck to all those that continue to wait.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Why is it if you're out of state?

Sorry I realized that wasn't very clear. It's definitely NOT a death sentence if you're out of state. OOS gives you better chances. There's usually way more OOS movement from the waitlist becuase it's so expensive for OOS students. A lot of people who are out of state and have been accepted somewhere cheaper would probably ha e a hard time rationalizing the price tag of EVMS, I would assume
 
Sorry I realized that wasn't very clear. It's definitely NOT a death sentence if you're out of state. OOS gives you better chances. There's usually way more OOS movement from the waitlist becuase it's so expensive for OOS students. A lot of people who are out of state and have been accepted somewhere cheaper would probably ha e a hard time rationalizing the price tag of EVMS, I would assume

I understood that you meant the waitlist is better for OOS. I was just wondering why, but you answered that too so thanks. I'm in-state, but on the top 1/3 of the waitlist, so I'm just sort of in that desperate, fingers-crossed stage of the cycle.
 
Sorry I realized that wasn't very clear. It's definitely NOT a death sentence if you're out of state. OOS gives you better chances. There's usually way more OOS movement from the waitlist becuase it's so expensive for OOS students. A lot of people who are out of state and have been accepted somewhere cheaper would probably ha e a hard time rationalizing the price tag of EVMS, I would assume
(This is pretty much the exact dilemma I'm grappling with right now)
 
Do they give people a specific rank on the waitlist? If you were in the top 1/3 months ago, is it possible that you've been bumped down into the lower 2/3 over time as higher ranked people get added?
 
Do they give people a specific rank on the waitlist? If you were in the top 1/3 months ago, is it possible that you've been bumped down into the lower 2/3 over time as higher ranked people get added?

Based on past threads, yes to both. You can also move up as people withdraw from the WL or are accepted off of it

Again, based only on past threads. Have no idea if this is fact or just speculation
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do they give people a specific rank on the waitlist? If you were in the top 1/3 months ago, is it possible that you've been bumped down into the lower 2/3 over time as higher ranked people get added?
You can always call them again to check what position you're currently in. Interviews are over so it's safe to say you can't be bumped down anymore.
 
Do they give people a specific rank on the waitlist? If you were in the top 1/3 months ago, is it possible that you've been bumped down into the lower 2/3 over time as higher ranked people get added?

I think that's how it works, but only until interviews finish. After that I think it's set, and when people withdraw, the group they're in gets smaller, but that they don't move you on the list. I honestly kind of get the feeling the thirds are almost kind of only there for organizational purposes, since if they don't find what they're looking for in the top third they just look for it in the other thirds.
 
Based on past threads, yes to both. You can also move up as people withdraw from the WL or are accepted off of it

Again, based only on past threads. Have no idea if this is fact or just speculation

So do you think it would be really obnoxious of me to call them and ask if I am still in the top 1/3?

Edit: ^^Thanks everybody. I guess I'm going to call them.
 
56 members on the 2020 facebook page and a few are current students.

Yeah since I'm in grad school here, I can tell you actually at least 25 of the people in the group are current students. Makes me wonder if they didn't publicize the Facebook page or if they have very few people considering taking the acceptances they were offered, because that number seems super freaking low
 
Yeah since I'm in grad school here, I can tell you actually at least 25 of the people in the group are current students. Makes me wonder if they didn't publicize the Facebook page or if they have very few people considering taking the acceptances they were offered, because that number seems super freaking low
But I would think if you are committed to a school you would be chatting away about housing ect.
 
i called about that already and they said you dont move from thirds when you are placed there unless you get accepted
That has been the common understanding here until rukia013 apparently experienced otherwise...
Called admissions today and they're now telling me that I am in the middle third 🙁 I was told I was in the top third earlier this year but the lady said that your position on the waitlist is fixed so now I'm confused.
Really bummed considering this was probably the waitlist that I had the likeliest chance of getting off of...
 
I would love to be taken off the WL here. Loved this school. Just saying.

Write a letter! I know someone who got off the WL after sending a letter of intent. You could probably get the same point across without it being a true letter of intent if you're careful with your wording
 
That has been the common understanding here until rukia013 apparently experienced otherwise...
I called the office a total of three times to check my position and apparently the first person I talked to waaay back in January told me the wrong information; the last two people pulled up my file and confirmed that I was (and always had been) placed in the middle third.

From what I understand, once you are placed in one of the thirds, you don't move out of that third because there are just way too many people on the waitlist to be able to rank and move people around.

Hope this clears up any confusion! I think I made a clarification post shortly after that one that you quoted but it must have been buried under all the other posts.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I called the office a total of three times to check my position and apparently the first person I talked to waaay back in January told me the wrong information; the last two people pulled up my file and confirmed that I was (and always had been) placed in the middle third.

From what I understand, once you are placed in one of the thirds, you don't move out of that third because there are just way too many people on the waitlist to be able to rank and move people around.

Hope this clears up any confusion! I think I made a clarification post shortly after that one that you quoted but it must have been buried under all the other posts.
didnt know that there is no ranking within the thirds. thats interesting
 
didnt know that there is no ranking within the thirds. thats interesting
I'm thinking that you might be placed in a general area of the third since some people have reported that the office will tell them where in the third they are but in terms of an actual numerical rank, that'd be impossible with the number of people on the waitlist (can you imagine having to re-rank people every time someone sent an update or letter of intent/interest?)
 
I'm thinking that you might be placed in a general area of the third since some people have reported that the office will tell them where in the third they are but in terms of an actual numerical rank, that'd be impossible with the number of people on the waitlist (can you imagine having to re-rank people every time someone sent an update or letter of intent/interest?)

Can you clarify how you know that the admissions office will let candidates know where in each third of the WL they are?
 
Can you clarify how you know that the admissions office will let candidates know where in each third of the WL they are?
I don't think admissions is allowed to tell you (I've tried and they just say they can only tell me which third I'm in) but there have been a few people who have posted on this thread and have somehow gotten an answer to where in the third they are, so maybe it depends who you speak with?