2015-2016 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

If any accepted OOS Asian males wants 10 reasons that they shouldn't go to Eastern Virginia, pm me. Cmon guys, you guys are smart enough to go to Harvard or Stanford, no reason to pick this school... 😛
I chuckled, but it's been rough. None of my IS MD schools interviewed me this cycle. 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I chuckled, but it's been rough. None of my IS MD schools interviewed me this cycle. 🙁

Haha I was just kidding. Congrats brotha, you deserved it.

On a side note, I woke up at 9AM, didn't see an email from EVMS, and got depressed, so instead of going to work, decided to go back to sleep and during my 1 hour nap, I had a dream that the doctor I scribed for said he could get me into EVMS by "pulling strings". I then woke up at 10, checked my email, realized I still didn't have an acceptance email from EVMS. Promptly cried myself back to sleep. Ended up leaving for work at 11.
 
There is bound to be, there was considerable movement even in June going off past threads. However, as a OOS Asian male, regardless of being in the top third, my chances are slim if they truly go demographically. Statistically, my kind doesn't have much going for us. But still, don't lose hope! But in the same vein, don't get your hopes crushed if you don't get in. It's all a crapshoot.
 
For anyone accepted off the WL today, do you know what portion of the top third you were in?
When I called about my status, they told me I was in the bottom of the upper 1/3. So I'm wondering how far down they went today 🙂
 
First post on sdn. Accepted today at 4pm!! WL upper 1/3. Oos from GA. Interviewed in December. Is there a Facebook group for the class of 2020?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone get an AAMC Background Check Consent Request this morning? Just curious as to which school is requesting it. Maybe it means good things.
 
Anyone get an AAMC Background Check Consent Request this morning? Just curious as to which school is requesting it. Maybe it means good things.
Did you get one? Yesterday someone got one and was accepted later in the day not sure what school though.
Edit..was from Miami
 
Last edited:
Did you get one? Yesterday someone got one and was accepted later in the day not sure what school though.
Yeah I got one, but I don't know which school sent it. I was accepted to an OOS school yesterday, so maybe it is from them??? No clue. Really hope it means something promising from an IS school, but who knows!

Pretty sure it was from the school I was accepted to. Someone else accepted just said that they received the background check thing this morning too.
 
Accepted this morning from upper 1/3!! First acceptance! got the email around 10:37am. OOS, Asian female from PA.
I was starting to lose hope, seeing the WL move without me, but now I'm so relieved.
Advice for other on the WL: I sent in updates once a month until March, when I sent them in about once every 2 weeks. I also emailed updates to my interviewer. I talked about why I was a good fit for the school and what I was doing for volunteering and research. Send in those updates!
 
Accepted this morning from upper 1/3!! First acceptance! got the email around 10:37am. OOS, Asian female from PA.
I was starting to lose hope, seeing the WL move without me, but now I'm so relieved.
Advice for other on the WL: I sent in updates once a month until March, when I sent them in about once every 2 weeks. I also emailed updates to my interviewer. I talked about why I was a good fit for the school and what I was doing for volunteering and research. Send in those updates!

I'd trade my first born child for the free time to do this much. I struggle to get an update in every month for my waitlist schools.
 
Accepted this morning from upper 1/3!! First acceptance! got the email around 10:37am. OOS, Asian female from PA.
I was starting to lose hope, seeing the WL move without me, but now I'm so relieved.
Advice for other on the WL: I sent in updates once a month until March, when I sent them in about once every 2 weeks. I also emailed updates to my interviewer. I talked about why I was a good fit for the school and what I was doing for volunteering and research. Send in those updates!
Great News! When did you interview?
 
Can any current Med students or even Med Masters shed light on research opportunities at EVMS? I looked on their website and it was a bit vague


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
Can any current Med students or even Med Masters shed light on research opportunities at EVMS? I looked on their website and it was a bit vague


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Med Master here. A lot of people do research during the summer. I think there are definitely some M1s currently doing research with professors (not sure how many or what kind of research), and then there are a fair number of M1s doing research because they were Med Master's last year and placed out of a bunch of courses. However, the admissions office is extremely nice and if you called them up I guarentee they could put you in touch with someone who's much more knowledgable on the subject than I am. Also, there are a TON of current M1's in the Facebook group for accepted students, so I bet you could get a lot of questions answered there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
wait why not?
Because after downloading all of your supplementary information from the portal, it'd be a pain if they had to keep checking every applicant's portal to see if they updated anything. It's much easier for the admissions staff to just add new files if they're sent directly via email.

And if you need more "hard" evidence, I called about this months ago and they told me to just email them any new information. But of course, you are free to call them to double check.
 
Because after downloading all of your supplementary information from the portal, it'd be a pain if they had to keep checking every applicant's portal to see if they updated anything. It's much easier for the admissions staff to just add new files if they're sent directly via email.

And if you need more "hard" evidence, I called about this months ago and they told me to just email them any new information. But of course, you are free to call them to double check.

That makes sense, thanks!
 
so what i guess that means is they didnt find someone in the top third similar enough to the person who dropped out
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so what i guess that means is they didnt find someone in the top third similar enough to the person who dropped out

That's what we're led to believe, but who knows, the whole process is a crapshoot. I can easily see them pulling from the middle third because there was a quality or trait they really liked about a waitlisted person.
 
Withdrew my acceptance today.. felt very at home, but accepted to a school only 1.5 hour flight from home instead of a whole 13 hr travel day..

Hope one of you gets it!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile
 
ACCEPTED!! Talked to the Director this morning and am so excited! Good luck to everyone still waiting!

For those of you who are curious, I'm female, IS, and was on the bottom portion of the top 1/3 of the waitlist.
Wow! Congrats!!!! Did you call them for a status update or did they email you first?
 
Hard to explain. It was a mixture of email and phone call, but they initiated it. They wanted me to call them, but the time I could call didn't work for them, so they emailed me an acceptance and we talked on the phone later. Basically, if the director of admissions emails you that she'd like you to call her, it's a good sign! 🙂