2015-2016 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone who already interviewed received a response yet?

And I heard they probably won't let us know anything until the first or second week in November. And the last two years of applicants really didn't hear much until Thanksgiving. So sit tight! We're in it for the long haul.

Reactions: 1 user
And I heard they probably won't let us know anything until the first or second week in November. And the last two years of applicants really didn't hear much until Thanksgiving. So sit tight! We're in it for the long haul.
Ok... thx... so much waiting...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a word of advice, you might want to change your ID so it doesn't have your last name in it.
Probably good advice, but seeing that it's already pretty late in the game and SDN doesn't delete old comments etc... I think it should be alright. Don't think I've posted anything that I wouldn't want adcoms to see.

Any advice for the last essay? "If applicable, indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you have not already addressed that you feel the Admissions Committee should consider when evaluating your application. If you have had any academic problems or unevenness in your academic performance, please address that here as well:"

I had a lower science gpa freshman and sophomore year (3.0) but did much better junior year. Should I address this? or just leave the prompt blank. I'm a student athlete, so I had a hard time adjusting to college courses the first two years, and it didn't help that my coaches never helped or required study-hall like every other sport/school, but I also do not want to sound like I'm making excuses.

Any advice for the last essay? "If applicable, indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you have not already addressed that you feel the Admissions Committee should consider when evaluating your application. If you have had any academic problems or unevenness in your academic performance, please address that here as well:"

I had a lower science gpa freshman and sophomore year (3.0) but did much better junior year. Should I address this? or just leave the prompt blank. I'm a student athlete, so I had a hard time adjusting to college courses the first two years, and it didn't help that my coaches never helped or required study-hall like every other sport/school, but I also do not want to sound like I'm making excuses.

I wouldn't leave anything blank. Use it as an opportunity to explain your situation and how it helped you grow as a person. Don't use it as a place to make excuses really, but try to explain what happened and how you are certain that it won't happen again in medical school. Definitely don't blame your coaches for not requiring study hall! The adcom would rather see you take responsibility and learn from it. Hope this helped!

I would suggest articulating what contributed to your early struggles, but more importantly, what steps you took in improving your academic performance.

So for my fellow Athenian interviewers, I never received an email about campus preference, but the tab showed up nonetheless. :shrug: Definitely check your portals.

I'll be interviewing in Augusta soon! :) Can anyone recommend where to stay near MCG? Places to eat? My parents will be coming along as they'd like to explore the area with me.

I'll be interviewing in Augusta soon! :) Can anyone recommend where to stay near MCG? Places to eat? My parents will be coming along as they'd like to explore the area with me.
YES! Stay at the home2suites by the interstate! It's amazing!

YES! Stay at the home2suites by the interstate! It's amazing!
thank you!! is there any discounted rate for MCG interviewees? A lot of schools seem to have some kind of connection like that but didn't read anything about that here

I don't think there was a discount but it was totally worth the price! Huge room, super clean and comfortable. Very close to campus. Also, there's a lot of construction going on on campus near the admissions building so make sure to find the interview building the night before!

I don't think there was a discount but it was totally worth the price! Huge room, super clean and comfortable. Very close to campus. Also, there's a lot of construction going on on campus near the admissions building so make sure to find the interview building the night before!
wow good to know! I appreciate the advice so much!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't know about this before, but MCG officially does not send acceptances until Nov 1, per the US Compass report. Though I would bet Nov 15th as being the first acceptance!

Hey everyone!!

I know this might be too last minute, but there is an open house tomorrow at the Athens campus. If anyone is interested in seeing the campus, but isn't interviewing there, the open houses are great opportunities to come visit!

See the attached flyer for other dates. If you aren't able to attend, you can always schedule a tour another time.

Attachments

• Medical Partnership Open House- Fall 2015.pdf
    512.8 KB · Views: 51
Does anyone have any idea when we might hear back post-interview? I interviewed mid-September and I'm starting to get pretty antsy over here.

Well MCG doesn't offer acceptances until Nov 1..but I anticipate hearing back by Nov 15th-ish? Completely guessing based on prev years... I interviewed in early Oct.

Well MCG doesn't offer acceptances until Nov 1..but I anticipate hearing back by Nov 15th-ish? Completely guessing based on prev years... I interviewed in early Oct.
Yeah I saw something about that on the MSAR, but apparently people from the 2013-2014 thread started hearing back as early as 10/16 (OOPS I'M BEING A LITTLE NEUROTIC). Maybe they changed their system or something.

MCG's interview has been unthreatening/user friendly...maybe just 1 faculty member one on one for 30 minutes or so. They just want to assure that you have a decent demeanor/personality to go with your Lizzy M score.

You Mutts might like staying on in Athens where a minority of the class is now (45 or so?).

Just an update

As of last year, MCG requires two interviews One closed and one open. I had three last year from them. Only had one each year the two years prior. A lot of the class does not have decent LizzyM scores.

Athens has 40 students.

Yeah I saw something about that on the MSAR, but apparently people from the 2013-2014 thread started hearing back as early as 10/16 (OOPS I'M BEING A LITTLE NEUROTIC). Maybe they changed their system or something.

Yeah, I'm assuming they pushed back notices for RD. I wouldn't worry about it until everyone besides us starts getting accepted lol.

I'm not entirely sure how they decide who to interview at Athens, but I do know it is a "small pool" of applicants. This is what came in my email:

"You have also been selected to participate in a pilot program which allows a small group of applicants to interview at either the Athens Campus or the Augusta Campus."

My best guess, maybe they invite students who have close ties with small, rural communities?

You can ask to interview at Athens.

The Quality Inn is nice, I would avoid the Econolodge although I've stayed there several times. There are a lot of good places to eat in Evans. One is a small Italian place called Garlic Clove, it's off Washington Road.

thank you!! is there any discounted rate for MCG interviewees? A lot of schools seem to have some kind of connection like that but didn't read anything about that here

Not as far as I can tell and I've been in Augusta several times and now live here since I was accepted last year.

I'd recommend either Frog Hollow Tavern if you want someplace nice, or Whiskey Bar if you want an awesome burger. Both are downtown on Broad Street, only about a mile from the hospital.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd recommend either Frog Hollow Tavern if you want someplace nice, or Whiskey Bar if you want an awesome burger. Both are downtown on Broad Street, only about a mile from the hospital.
1000X yes on Whiskey Bar burgers! Btw, has there been any new II lately? Or do they wait until the first round of acceptances go out?

Also for Whiskey Bar, they have some very good alcoholic root beer.
1000X yes on Whiskey Bar burgers! Btw, has there been any new II lately? Or do they wait until the first round of acceptances go out?

They only meet every so often. I think every 2 or so weeks. I assume that is why one of the attendings who I am supposed to meet for coffee isn't available this week.

any idea when we might hear back? starting to lose my mind here :bang:

I believe last year, MCG started releasing acceptances to regular decisions on November 25th (around Thanksgiving)

They didn't say this at my interview date, but a friend of mine was told at his interview that they plan to let us know by this week or next week. However, as others have said, last year they didn't hear back until nearly Thanksgiving. So I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high.

any idea when we might hear back? starting to lose my mind here :bang:

Reactions: 2 users
I believe in the past, the committee has met once per month on Thursdays. Anyone know if this trend will continue this cycle?!

God I hope so, still looking for an II here

Well on the bright side, at least you have an acceptance! :claps:

Meanwhile, the rest of us have to neurotically wonder what we're going to be doing for the next year or so.

Well on the bright side, at least you have an acceptance! :claps:

Meanwhile, the rest of us have to neurotically wonder what we're going to be doing for the next year or so.
I would say I'm blessed in that regard. But also concerned that none of my state schools love me, I don't bite I swear! :nod:

I have a good feeling about tomorrow. I have no logical reason to think so, but I had this same feeling the day before I got my II here, so....

...wishful thinking

If not..I'll call tmrw and see what's up. :banana:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
if you call please post about what did they say!
This "checking my email every 5 min" situation is killing me :(

I was too impatient so I called. Haha. She basically said she doesn't know when the committee is meeting, and it's completely up to them when they meet. So she doesn't know when we can expect to hear back.

I was too impatient so I called. Haha. She basically said she doesn't know when the committee is meeting, and it's completely up to them when they meet. So she doesn't know when we can expect to hear back.
Oh man, that is the vaguest thing I've ever heard. Does that mean they haven't already met?

Basically the same response I got. Safe to say, it isn't happening this week folks..onto the next week!

Oh man, that is the vaguest thing I've ever heard. Does that mean they haven't already met?

I know. I thought it was strange that she had no idea. But I assume they haven't met if she doesn't know when they're meeting. So yay for more waiting. :(

so much for that then..
@ugagrad1116 when did you interview?

I interviewed September 23rd!

I'm still sticking with my gut...next week is the week!!! I hope...lol

Sometimes people take several months to hear back. While MCG does usually send out acceptances year round, there have been many people in the past who interview relatively early and don't hear back until February/March. Try to relax! Enjoy your (hopefully) last year before med school starts and don't waste it freaking out every time you get a new email.

hopefully this week might bring some news (wishful thinking)!!