2015-2016 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck on your interview! I'm really rooting for you!

Well, not interviewing tomorrow! But I'll be with the interviewing group! Thought I'd make some friends before hand :p haha. Interviewing follow Thurs in Athens.

Well, not interviewing tomorrow! But I'll be with the interviewing group! Thought I'd make some friends before hand :p haha. Interviewing follow Thurs in Athens.

Oh okay! I thought earlier you had said you were interviewing in Athens so I was kind of confused when you asked about Augusta. But now it makes sense! Well good luck next Thursday then! Haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh okay! I thought earlier you had said you were interviewing in Athens so I was kind of confused when you asked about Augusta. But now it makes sense! Well good luck next Thursday then! Haha.

Is it me, or is this year's MCG SDN group more quiet compared to last year's thread? haha

Also, how did your interview go?!

Is it me, or is this year's MCG SDN group more quiet compared to last year's thread? haha

Also, how did your interview go?!

I think it might be quieter. Haha. I think that'll change when October 15th comes though and everyone starts speculating about committee meeting dates!
I hope it went well! I feel like you never truly know though because you never know what interviewers are looking for. I hope we'll find out soon enough!

can anyone offer insight about the percent/number of interviewed applicants that get acceptances? Sorry if it's already been mentioned before. thanks!

can anyone offer insight about the percent/number of interviewed applicants that get acceptances? Sorry if it's already been mentioned before. thanks!

Supposedly 1216 apps in state. 550 interviewed. 220 matriculated. 1346 apps out of state. 84 interviewed. 9 matriculated.

Supposedly 1216 apps in state. 550 interviewed. 220 matriculated. 1346 apps out of state. 84 interviewed. 9 matriculated.
thanks so much! so if you're in state looks like once you have an interview you have a pretty good chance right? I'm just assuming this but they probably accept significantly more than 220.

thanks so much! so if you're in state looks like once you have an interview you have a pretty good chance right? I'm just assuming this but they probably accept significantly more than 220.

No problem! I'd like to think its a good chance! I've heard something like 60ish come off the wait list so add about that to that number. But you also have to take into account how many ED spots are gone now (I don't know how many they accept). So it probably pretty much evens out to be around this number again for RD. All in all, I'd assume/hope it's like a 50% chance.

Hi! Do you guys know whether MCG is considered a better school than Morehouse?
Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone applying here!!!

Medical school is medical school, and most physicians will tell you that nobody cares where you went to medical school. It's the residency that matters because that's where you get your training. So you should go to the school with which you feel you fit better. That being said, I don't want to put words into anybody's mouth, but I do feel that a lot of Georgia premeds probably think that MCG is a better school. I know it's generally regarded that way by the premeds I know. Don't get me wrong, I know people who go to Morehouse and love it. It's a great school. But I know many people would choose MCG over Morehouse if they had the choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Depends on how you define better. Higher avg gpa and mcat? Sure. Better residency placement? Maybe? All in all...medical school is what you make of it. Both are more than adequate in preparing its medical students, which is all one should care about. Would I personally choose MCG over Morehouse? Yes. But that's because I believe MCG is a better fit for me, not necessarily because I believe it's a better school. Find your fit and the rest will fall into place.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Still hoping for an II! Lizzy M 66, completed 8/8. Hope everyone else is hanging in there okay!

Reactions: 1 user
II this morning!!!! Completed 8/19 but my LORs were "red" until 9/8. Lizzy M around a 68 (took the new MCAT so idk for sure). Interviewing in Augusta on 11/11!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, congrats on everyone who has interview invites already. I wish you all the best of luck! I'm a 4th year at MCG, and yes, we still call it that despite all the name changes in the last couple of years.

It sounds like they have been trying new things this year with regional interviews, and I'm glad it looks like some of my more junior peers are on here giving you guys feedback since I've been out of the loop while on clinical rotations.

MCG is a great school, it's been wonderful to me and all of my classmates. Even though med school is tough, I don't know anyone who is disappointed with the overall experience or how MCG has set us up for getting into our specialties of choice. I check this forum semi-regularly to see if anybody has questions that I can answer. I wish you applicants the best of luck in the coming year--I know it's a grueling experience, but it's also an exciting step in life. Try to stay at least a little excited about beginning your journey into medicine!

Reactions: 4 users
I am probably just being super dumb but I can't find a typical interview day schedule anywhere, nor did I receive the itinerary from the school. I don't even know at what time the interview starts. Any info on this please?

I am probably just being super dumb but I can't find a typical interview day schedule anywhere, nor did I receive the itinerary from the school. I don't even know at what time the interview starts. Any info on this please?
I can help! You'll need to be at the admissions office (in the Kelly administration building) at 8:30 AM for a presentation and coffee. After that you'll have your first interview, which they'll give you directions to find. Then is lunch with some M2s and a tour. Finally you'll have your last interview, and you're free to go after that. I think I was done around 3, but not everyone has interviews at the exact same time. If you have any specific q's feel free to PM me.

If you're interviewing in Athens...log into the portal and go to the interview tab. There should be a document that describes the interview day. Otherwise, I believe the Augusta itinerary is in the email.

I can help! You'll need to be at the admissions office (in the Kelly administration building) at 8:30 AM for a presentation and coffee. After that you'll have your first interview, which they'll give you directions to find. Then is lunch with some M2s and a tour. Finally you'll have your last interview, and you're free to go after that. I think I was done around 3, but not everyone has interviews at the exact same time. If you have any specific q's feel free to PM me.

If you're interviewing in Athens...log into the portal and go to the interview tab. There should be a document that describes the interview day. Otherwise, I believe the Augusta itinerary is in the email.

Thank you guys. I found the itinerary in the confirmation e-mail haha.

Anyone know the timeline for OOS regular MD applicants? I know its probably a long shot as an OOS applicant but I have relatively strong ties there through my SO who is from/living in ATL.

Anyone know the timeline for OOS regular MD applicants? I know its probably a long shot as an OOS applicant but I have relatively strong ties there through my SO who is from/living in ATL.
I would love to know this info too. My fiance is living in Augusta and working at the school so I hope that counts for something.

Does anyone know the post-interview process? At what point do we indicate our preference?

Does anyone know the post-interview process? At what point do we indicate our preference?

When you log in, do you not see a "campus" tab? You should be able to indicate there and give a reason for why you want to attend the campus you choose (assuming you mean campus preference).

When you log in, do you not see a "campus" tab? You should be able to indicate there and give a reason for why you want to attend the campus you choose (assuming you mean campus preference).

Not yet! Maybe they'll add it later?!

Not yet! Maybe they'll add it later?!

That's weird! They emailed me immediately after my interview (I hadn't even left the campus yet) asking me to select a campus, and the tab was there when I got home. Maybe it's different if you interview at the Athens campus.

Medical school is medical school, and most physicians will tell you that nobody cares where you went to medical school. It's the residency that matters because that's where you get your training. So you should go to the school with which you feel you fit better. That being said, I don't want to put words into anybody's mouth, but I do feel that a lot of Georgia premeds probably think that MCG is a better school. I know it's generally regarded that way by the premeds I know. Don't get me wrong, I know people who go to Morehouse and love it. It's a great school. But I know many people would choose MCG over Morehouse if they had the choice.
Thank you for your insight!!!

Depends on how you define better. Higher avg gpa and mcat? Sure. Better residency placement? Maybe? All in all...medical school is what you make of it. Both are more than adequate in preparing its medical students, which is all one should care about. Would I personally choose MCG over Morehouse? Yes. But that's because I believe MCG is a better fit for me, not necessarily because I believe it's a better school. Find your fit and the rest will fall into place.
I meant in terms of overall preparation (like the quality of academic preparations that they give) and student experience (outside the classroom) I tried to research about Morehouse but there wasn't much.. Anyways MCG is my top choice so I'm hoping for the best! lol!

They'll send you an email shortly after your interview day. It's all on the secondary application where you'll get to choose one or the other or No Preference. Then a text box where you can put explanations. Those decisions aren't made until next year, so more than likely once you're accepted you'll have to wait to know where you're placed.

I called this morning because I could not hold myself anymore haha They said that they do not give any type of timeline because they have to go through screening process? (again??) and review the applications again :dead:

I called this morning because I could not hold myself anymore haha They said that they do not give any type of timeline because they have to go through screening process? (again??) and review the applications again :dead:
Could you please provide a little more detail about your call this morning?
I don't understand what they told you.
What do you mean by "go through screening process? (again??) and
Was this call specifically addressing OOS applications?
Thank you!

Last edited:
Could you please provide a little more detail about your call this morning?
I don't understand what they told you.
What do you mean by "go through screening process? (again??) and
Was this call specifically addressing OOS applications?
Thank you!
Hi, I did not go into any specifics. I asked when could we expect to hear back after interviews. She replied that they do not provide a timeline given that they have to review and screen the applications. It did not make much sense to me either given that in my understanding they screen before interviews.

They are probably referring to screening more applicants, then basing their assessment of your application in the context of the applicant pool. Sometimes after an interview, you may be in the "borderline" section, so they want to see more applicants before making a decision is my best guess of what that might mean.

II received my interview invite today. Does anyone want to describe what I should expect on the day of ?
Format, types of questions, etc.

Thanks

As far as the interview goes, don't stress. It's very conversational, just know your application and strengths/weaknesses.

Anyone who interviewed in Athens been able to indicate preference yet?

II Yesterday! Is anyone else having trouble with the online calendar to pick an interview date?
I'll call them Monday, but I was wondering if anyone else was also facing a similar issue.

II Yesterday! Is anyone else having trouble with the online calendar to pick an interview date?
I'll call them Monday, but I was wondering if anyone else was also facing a similar issue.
I too received an II and wasn't able to reserve a spot until this morning on the calendar (very strange.) I was wondering if you only had the option to interview in Dec, too? If this thread is correct and II invites just started going out to RD applicants I am confused why there is not availability in Nov or Dec.

Does anyone know why there is no availability for interviews until Dec for RD applicants? It seems a bit far in advance. Received an II 10/9

Did any of you that received interview invites get those funky spam 'disregard the previous email' from MCG after they sent an email saying your secondary wasn't complete? Trying to figure out the significance of those emails...

Did any of you that received interview invites get those funky spam 'disregard the previous email' from MCG after they sent an email saying your secondary wasn't complete? Trying to figure out the significance of those emails...
Yep, on 9/14. Assuming it was a mass email that was sent accidentally.

Just a word of advice, you might want to change your ID so it doesn't have your last name in it.

I literally got 5 of those emails one morning, but I got an interview invite. I really think it was just an error in the system!

I too received an II and wasn't able to reserve a spot until this morning on the calendar (very strange.) I was wondering if you only had the option to interview in Dec, too? If this thread is correct and II invites just started going out to RD applicants I am confused why there is not availability in Nov or Dec.

I don't know when the first invites went out but I was complete 8/9 and got my II on 9/16. I interviewed there on 10/8! I think they only do interviews on Thursdays so there just aren't tons of interview days during the season and my guess is that people who got invited in late September or early October probably took the November dates.

Has anyone who already interviewed received a response yet?