You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Rush Medical College Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hey guys M2 Rush student here. Congrats to those who got accepted, good luck to those who are waiting.
I wanted to chime in, in regards to some comments about the school. Overall the experience for me has been good but there is definitely some room for improvement in regards to the administration listening to its students. For example:
-This year, during our fall finals week we got an email that Rush will be closing down all on-campus apartments. We were never informed of this beforehand, and the email was not clear about possible alternative housing options. It would have definitely been nice of the administration to let us know this before the start of the school year. Many of us now have to balance finding a new apartment while studying. Presently, the administration is looking into possible alternative housing. This is something you should inquire about as you get closer to making a decision.
-The school is thinking of changing the curriculum again to make physiology and pathology all together as one block for each organ system. The school is also thinking of adding mandatory work study hours. FYI= these changes probably will probably NOT effect you but the 2017 entering class. In my experience, the administration has not been very open to hearing the student opinion about these changes. While there was a meeting, it seemed like some decisions had already been reached. Some meetings at Rush do seem more like formalities than genuine interest in our opinion.
These are the two examples that have made me upset with the administration at our school. I want to bring it to your attention because many of you will be deciding on which school to attend next year and its important that you are given all of the information. That being said, I don't want these concerns to overshadow the other positive aspects of our school. Rush is great in many ways. We have a great class who is involved, unique volunteer opportunities at clinics, and clinical rotations have positive reviews from upperclassmen. We have some great professors and a supportive staff. Overall medical school is what you individually make of it. No medical school is perfect but the concerns mentioned above are something you should inquire about as you make your decision.
I wanted to chime in, in regards to some comments about the school. Overall the experience for me has been good but there is definitely some room for improvement in regards to the administration listening to its students. For example:
-This year, during our fall finals week we got an email that Rush will be closing down all on-campus apartments. We were never informed of this beforehand, and the email was not clear about possible alternative housing options. It would have definitely been nice of the administration to let us know this before the start of the school year. Many of us now have to balance finding a new apartment while studying. Presently, the administration is looking into possible alternative housing. This is something you should inquire about as you get closer to making a decision.
-The school is thinking of changing the curriculum again to make physiology and pathology all together as one block for each organ system. The school is also thinking of adding mandatory work study hours. FYI= these changes probably will probably NOT effect you but the 2017 entering class. In my experience, the administration has not been very open to hearing the student opinion about these changes. While there was a meeting, it seemed like some decisions had already been reached. Some meetings at Rush do seem more like formalities than genuine interest in our opinion.
These are the two examples that have made me upset with the administration at our school. I want to bring it to your attention because many of you will be deciding on which school to attend next year and its important that you are given all of the information. That being said, I don't want these concerns to overshadow the other positive aspects of our school. Rush is great in many ways. We have a great class who is involved, unique volunteer opportunities at clinics, and clinical rotations have positive reviews from upperclassmen. We have some great professors and a supportive staff. Overall medical school is what you individually make of it. No medical school is perfect but the concerns mentioned above are something you should inquire about as you make your decision.
Last edited:
The school is also thinking of adding mandatory work study hours.
Wait what? Like you *have* to get a job?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
.
II last week OOS
I interviewed here this week and there are no words in the English language that adequately describe how badly I want to go to this school. At none of the other places that I interviewed did I feel such an instant connection with a school. The next two weeks will be the worst form of torture.
II IS! Good start to the weekend 🙂
I interviewed here this week and there are no words in the English language that adequately describe how badly I want to go to this school. At none of the other places that I interviewed did I feel such an instant connection with a school. The next two weeks will be the worst form of torture.
What did you like about it? I am excited to interview here
First of all, it's right in the heart of Chicago which is where I want to work. And the focus is completely on being a clinician in the Chicago community. It's not research-heavy and you get tons of patient contact from day one. Students can rotate at two hospitals--Rush Medical Center, which is a beautiful, state-of-the-art hospital, and Cook County, where you see an extremely diverse community of patients. There are all kinds of community outreach programs and the school is really receptive to student opinion. It's great, you'll have a wonderful time.What did you like about it? I am excited to interview here
Just a quick question if anyone knows: is Rush P/F the first two years? From my interview day, my impression was that it was P/F, but from the website it looks like it is H/P/F (top 15% get Honors). Thanks in advance for the clarification!
Just a quick question if anyone knows: is Rush P/F the first two years? From my interview day, my impression was that it was P/F, but from the website it looks like it is H/P/F (top 15% get Honors). Thanks in advance for the clarification!
I believe it's H/P/F
Anybody got a bead on what time decisions come down tomorrow?
Anybody got a bead on what time decisions come down tomorrow?
FWIW my acceptance email came at 10:46am EST. Don't know if that's been consistent across all batches.
Mine came around noon. I would imagine some time before the end of office hours.Anybody got a bead on what time decisions come down tomorrow?
That face when you get accepted to Rush.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I accepted my offer at Rush through the portal, but it immediately booted me out after sending in my deposit. Now I can't access the portal, it says my log-in is not valid. Anybody else have this happen?
Edit: Credit card issue on my side, not Rush's.
Edit: Credit card issue on my side, not Rush's.
Last edited:
So I accepted my offer at Rush through the portal, but it immediately booted me out after sending in my deposit. Now I can't access the portal, it says my log-in is not valid. Anybody else have this happen?
I had a different technical issue with their site while trying to accept. Just email admissions and detail the problem, they'll help you.
+1 on II. Interview for 2/3!
+1 on II. Interview for 2/3!
Congrats! Do you mind sharing when you were complete?
Congrats! Do you mind sharing when you were complete?
Sure! I was complete 9/3. 🙂 Good luck to everyone else still in the running.
Hey just making sure.... We can accept the offer of admission here and still get accepted to other schools right?
Yes, as long as you have a deposit in, your spot is yours. Other schools can't access acceptance data until late March or early April – I can't remember the exact date, but I know it's around then.Hey just making sure.... We can accept the offer of admission here and still get accepted to other schools right?
Did anybody get a follow up email from Rush after accepting, apart from the deposit receipt? Do they send an official acceptance package via snail mail? Next steps? Any information is appreciated, thanks SDN!
A week or so later (I think) they sent me an email saying they were mailing me a letter with details on how to set-up my email account!Did anybody get a follow up email from Rush after accepting, apart from the deposit receipt? Do they send an official acceptance package via snail mail? Next steps? Any information is appreciated, thanks SDN!
Congratulations!II this morning for 2/10. Completed late July. ~70-73 LizzyM. Don't give up hope!
Does anyone have any recommendation for hotel? Should I take the train from the airport (ORD) to a hotel instead of renting a car? It's kinda hard to find parking in Chicago. Thanks, fam!
Last edited:
I'd recommend a student host, you'll save money plus you'll be right down the street from where you have to be for interview day. I utilized it and had a great experience, even though I got waitlisted 🙁Does anyone have any recommendation for hotel? Should I take the train from the airport (ORD) to a hotel instead of renting a car? It's kinda to find parking in Chicago. Thanks, fam!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone have any recommendation for hotel? Should I take the train from the airport (ORD) to a hotel instead of renting a car? It's kinda hard to find parking in Chicago. Thanks, fam!
Uber in Chicago is fairly cheap. Check it out!!
Does anyone have any recommendation for hotel? Should I take the train from the airport (ORD) to a hotel instead of renting a car? It's kinda hard to find parking in Chicago. Thanks, fam!
If you're staying right next to the school, you can take the blue line train from the ORD stop to UIC/Medical District station (itll run you like $5) and you'll be within walking distance of everything you need. Hotels can be spendy though if thats an issue. I'm a local and planning on going to Rush next year, so feel free to PM if you need anything.
I stayed at Congress Plaza in Grant Park ($72 on expedia) and took the blue line train straight to the Medical District. I had never stayed in Chicago or taken the train; it was super convenient and easy, would definitely recommend it. My hotel was in a great spot right off the lake and was just a short walk from the train station.Does anyone have any recommendation for hotel? Should I take the train from the airport (ORD) to a hotel instead of renting a car? It's kinda hard to find parking in Chicago. Thanks, fam!
Guys...I have to know. I'm about to go into cardiac arrest thinking about how badly I want to go to Rush. And the day is still so young. The past week has been like a month. I can't wait any longer!
Guys...I have to know. I'm about to go into cardiac arrest thinking about how badly I want to go to Rush. And the day is still so young. The past week has been like a month. I can't wait any longer!
Haha do you find out today? Im up next week!!!!
Same for next week, let's hope for the bestHaha do you find out today? Im up next week!!!!
I'm dying. I gots to know.
Congrats!! Do you mind saying IS or OOS?II this morning for 2/10. Completed late July. ~70-73 LizzyM. Don't give up hope!
Waitlisted. Oh my god, this hurts. I wanted this so badly. I really fell in love with Rush. I was going to immediately withdraw from all my other interviews if I had gotten in.
Aw man I'm sorry to hear that. Are you IS or OOS?Waitlisted. Oh my god, this hurts. I wanted this so badly. I really fell in love with Rush. I was going to immediately withdraw from all my other interviews if I had gotten in.
Last edited:
ISAw man I'm sorry to hear that man. Are you IS or OOS?
Dang dude, my heart sank a little bit for ya even though I don't know you. Did you feel like you interviewed well?
I thought it went great. I don't know what happened.Dang dude, my heart sank a little bit for ya even though I don't know you. Did you feel like you interviewed well?
I thought it went great. I don't know what happened.
Dang... Now I feel even more nervous. Hope you get off the waitlist buddy.
I'm with you here. Same boatI thought it went great. I don't know what happened.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anybody get accepted yesterday?
+1What's the word on second look?
I sent them an email like a couple of weeks ago because they called me and mentioned it and I was told it was going to be April 15th. The times aren't set yet but usually like 9:30-4.What's the word on second look?
Hi Everyone - Rush M2 here. Congrats to all those who've been accepted, and best of luck to everyone still in the process!
For those of you who've been accepted, feel free to join the official class of 2020 Facebook page which I'll link below. This page becomes the go to communication means for your class throughout your experience at Rush, make it your own! It's a great way to start getting to know your potential classmates and chat about all things that are on your mind; there are also current Rush students that can answer any questions you might have. Link to the Class of 2020 Facebook Page
(Just FYI, you request to join, and then send an email to [email protected] just stating that you've asked to join. The admin office will then approve to the students running the page and you'll get in.)
On that same note, if there's anyone on here that has questions about Rush, I'm happy to answer. Rush is a seriously amazing place to learn medicine!
For those of you who've been accepted, feel free to join the official class of 2020 Facebook page which I'll link below. This page becomes the go to communication means for your class throughout your experience at Rush, make it your own! It's a great way to start getting to know your potential classmates and chat about all things that are on your mind; there are also current Rush students that can answer any questions you might have. Link to the Class of 2020 Facebook Page
(Just FYI, you request to join, and then send an email to [email protected] just stating that you've asked to join. The admin office will then approve to the students running the page and you'll get in.)
On that same note, if there's anyone on here that has questions about Rush, I'm happy to answer. Rush is a seriously amazing place to learn medicine!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K