2015-2016 Saint Louis University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Applying here- looking at the Urban/Underserved MD/MPH Program. Can any current students speak to the level of community involvement?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Applying here- looking at the Urban/Underserved MD/MPH Program. Can any current students speak to the level of community involvement?
Would love to hear more about this program too!

FYI @Kfranko889, SLU does not make it easy to apply to the joint program (unlike most schools). You have to apply separately through SOPHAS. :/ such a bummer! As if these applications aren't hard enough.

The website says about the Underserved/MD/MPH program that "If you are interested in being considered for this combined degree program and you have already completed your application to the MD program then please let us know by email at: [email protected]"

Does this mean we email after submitting the primary or email after we've submitted the secondary (provided we get one)? Sounds like an amazing program!

Reactions: 1 users
Just received the secondary.

Please describe your current activities... (max 10,000 characters)

Do you wish to include any comments, other than your AMCAS personal statement, to the Admissions Committee? (10,000 characters)

Were you ever the recipient of any action (e.g. dismissal, disqualification, suspension, etc.) by any college for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violations? Please explain fully... (max 10,000 characters)

What are you guys writing about from additional comments?! I know it's optional but 10,000 characters is a lot!

Please describe your current activities... (max 10,000 characters)

Do you wish to include any comments, other than your AMCAS personal statement, to the Admissions Committee? (10,000 characters)

Were you ever the recipient of any action (e.g. dismissal, disqualification, suspension, etc.) by any college for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violations? Please explain fully... (max 10,000 characters)
Are you a non-trad? I don't see the "describe activities" question, and I'm wondering if it only appears if you answer no to the full-time student question.

As far as the additional comments question, yes 10,00o characters is a lot, but I feel that you absolutely should not use even close to that many characters unless you actually have some big elaborate thing to say/explain. DO NOT just fill space. They will probably get annoyed with you.

I also did not get any short answer questions/essays...I'm a full time student so maybe this is why...

10,000 characters? If you can write 10,000 characters of your present activities without any fluff you must never have to sleep

Are you a non-trad? I don't see the "describe activities" question, and I'm wondering if it only appears if you answer no to the full-time student question.

As far as the additional comments question, yes 10,00o characters is a lot, but I feel that you absolutely should not use even close to that many characters unless you actually have some big elaborate thing to say/explain. DO NOT just fill space. They will probably get annoyed with you.
Yes it only applies if you answer "no". I'm not non-trad, but I already graduated.

Yeah, but what if I left it blank?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm using the "additional comments" prompt to describe my reasons for applying to SLU SOM. I figured it can't hurt and will at least show that I've researched the school and demonstrate how SLU SOM will help me be a professional practitioner consistent with its mission statement. It's only like 2000 characters or so.

Yaaaay

I'm using that space to sort of give a diversity statement, about my experiences and hobbies. I thought about doing "Why SLU" but I honestly find those questions to be painful and if it's not a requirement I don't want to try to cobble some random stuff together.

Secondary just submitted; waiting on letters to be complete :)
OOS but half my family lives in St. Louis.

Does anyone know if the "sanctity of life" bit in their mission statement means they are anti-choice?

Did anyone submit without writing anything in the additional comments section?

"Do you wish to include any comments, other than your AMCAS personal statement, to the Admissions Committee?"

It seems like one could write a "why SLU" essay or a "diversity" essay or use it to explain poor grades or gap in education, but if one doesn't really have much else to add, is it worth it to just stick in a forced diversity essay or why SLU essay? Would it be harmful to submit without any additional comments? Does anyone had luck submitting without any additional comments?

Also, for the photo, do admissions committees prefer a professional photo that you would use for your passport?

"Do you wish to include any comments, other than your AMCAS personal statement, to the Admissions Committee?"

It seems like one could write a "why SLU" essay or a "diversity" essay or use it to explain poor grades or gap in education, but if one doesn't really have much else to add, is it worth it to just stick in a forced diversity essay or why SLU essay? Would it be harmful to submit without any additional comments? Does anyone had luck submitting without any additional comments?
I feel like only on SDN would people really consider writing in this box if it's not necessary. It's day 1 and I'm already lazy :(

I feel like only on SDN would people really consider writing in this box if it's not necessary. It's day 1 and I'm already lazy :(

I feel like if SLU wanted a diversity essay, or why SLU essay, or explanation for bad grades/gap in education, then they would have directly asked for it. The question is so vague, though, so it's difficult to tell. I mean, with 10,000 characters, I might as well write a 2,000 character diversity essay, a 2,000 character Why SLU essay, and a 2,000 character essay explaining why I did poorly my first two years of college, but I feel like that would be excessive!

I feel like if SLU wanted a diversity essay, or why SLU essay, or explanation for bad grades/gap in education, then they would have directly asked for it. The question is so vague, though, so it's difficult to tell. I mean, with 10,000 characters, I might as well write a 2,000 character diversity essay, a 2,000 character Why SLU essay, and a 2,000 character essay explaining why I did poorly my first two years of college, but I feel like that would be excessive!
are you doing it or no? I might throw in some points about the school and it's location I find neat but not too much. then again...if I write too little it might have been better to just not write at all.

Does anyone know if the "sanctity of life" bit in their mission statement means they are anti-choice?
They are Catholic, so yes, their official stance would be pro-life. I don't know how prominent this is in their school though. It very well could be a thing that never comes up.

are you doing it or no? I might throw in some points about the school and it's location I find neat but not too much. then again...if I write too little it might have been better to just not write at all.

I don't know yet. I think I'll let it sit for a day or two before deciding. I don't know how much of a difference writing something will make, because I honestly can't think of anything compelling to put in that box!

They are Catholic, so yes, their official stance would be pro-life. I don't know how prominent this is in their school though. It very well could be a thing that never comes up.

Yeah, I knew they were catholic but that particular phrase has some scary political heft.

I would be really interested to hear from current students!

submitted secondary. didn't write that essay. Figured if they wanted a "why" or "diversity" they would've asked. Hopefully they appreciate brevity.

Does it show your LORs have been received? I don't know if they're maybe uploading them at a later time off AMCAS

I was going to do that. But funny enough could not find that much good information on their website.. Anyone know about better resources to learn more about SLU?

Yeah, I knew they were catholic but that particular phrase has some scary political heft.

I would be really interested to hear from current students!
I can't attest to SLU in particular since I have never gone there, but I thought I'd speak up since I've attended Catholic school since pre-school, and I'm currently attending a Catholic undergrad. How strongly they identify with their Catholic identity varies by school, but the fact that a school is Catholic shouldn't be 100% discounted by prospective students. At my undergrad, there are some students who complain endlessly about a few policies in the student code of conduct that are based on Catholic values (although these policies really don't affect student life) and get really upset every year when the school gives a University-excused absence to people who miss class to attend March for Life. That's just the way things work at a Catholic school, though, so people just have to know that going in. These things that people complain about really don't affect life at all (Who cares if attending March for Life is an excused absence? If you're pro-choice, just don't attend and don't worry about it), but people still get very upset. So if you're a person who will be extremely bothered by seeing the Catholic faith in a school setting, know that it probably won't be wildly in your face or forced upon you, but it will probably be there.

As far as letters of recommendation go, does anyone know if we need to have more letters or if the letters on the primary are what they are asking for?

Thanks

Anyone else having technical difficulties paying for the secondary right now? It keeps saying "We're sorry, your request could not be fulfilled. For security reasons, your session has been closed due to inactivity. Do not use your browser's Back button. Please close this window." when I click 'Proceed to Payment'......I don't know what I'm doing wrong :-(

Submitted my secondary on July 1, letters are also showing up as not received.

Submitted my secondary on July 1, letters are also showing up as not received.
This is because schools have to get letters off of the AMCAS separately from receiving the primaries. They're probably so swamped with trying to get secondaries out to all the people they have primaries from that they haven't had time yet to pull letters from the AMCAS and update our applicant portals. Don't be concerned this early in the game; they won't be reviewing anybody's files for another few weeks.

How should I address my current activities, if all of them are already in the Works & Activities section???
These questions are beyond frustrating.

Added SLU friday, received secondary today. OOS.

Just figured I'd throw my hat in the "didn't write anything extra in that optional box" ring. Submitted on Saturday.

Would it be acceptable to put an activity I started after I submitted my primary in the optional box? Or, should I add it as an application update under the document upload tab?

For my secondary photo, I took a picture in a suit against a white wall, but there is shadow to the right of my head. Is it OK if I use this photo, or does it have to comply with passport specifications? Is someone here good with photoshop that could help crop me onto a blank white wall? :(

For my secondary photo, I took a picture in a suit against a white wall, but there is shadow to the right of my head. Is it OK if I use this photo, or does it have to comply with passport specifications? Is someone here good with photoshop that could help crop me onto a blank white wall? :(
It doesn't have to comply with passport specifications, otherwise you wouldn't be able to smile, and that would be bad. It really should be fine. As long as it's professional, it will be acceptable.

Submitted my secondary! I, too, decided not to write the optional essay.

My letter of recommendations are still not received yet, though. Anyone else have the same problem? When will the system pull the letters from AMCAS?

Submitted my secondary! I, too, decided not to write the optional essay.

My letter of recommendations are still not received yet, though. Anyone else have the same problem? When will the system pull the letters from AMCAS?
Most schools have yet to pull the letters and update portals. We can't say exactly when those schools (including SLU) will do it, but it should be within the next few weeks.

Most schools have yet to pull the letters and update portals. We can't say exactly when those schools (including SLU) will do it, but it should be within the next few weeks.

What's the point of submitting our secondaries early if our application will remain incomplete due to the letters not being pulled? Do admissions committees start reviewing applications before the status is changed to complete/letters are pulled for your file?

What's the point of submitting our secondaries early if our application will remain incomplete due to the letters not being pulled? Do admissions committees start reviewing applications before the status is changed to complete/letters are pulled for your file?
No, they don't read it until it is marked complete. The point to submitting secondaries early is so that your application is read early. However, "early" is often blown out of proportion on SDN. There really is no difference between getting your secondary in 8 hours after you received it and getting your secondary in 4 days after you received it.

The issue of getting secondaries turned around is somewhat similar to getting your primary in. With primaries, we on SDN tend to obsess over turning it in at 9:30 am on the day the AMCAS opens. However, in reality, that doesn't matter so much because everybody whose application was verified by July 1st had their application sent out at the same time. A similar thing happens with secondaries. A lot of us get neurotic about turning secondaries around in hours even though medical schools won't start reading anybody's applications for a few weeks. However, you still want to get your secondary turned in fairly quickly because when they do start pulling letters and reading applications, you want your secondary to be already turned in.

Just got marked complete. Had to check status manually, as I didn't receive any email notification.

Anyone know if the specific academic requirements they list are needed before this app cycle or before matriculation? And is there any way to designate the classes you will take to fill these requirements this coming year?

Just got marked complete. Had to check status manually, as I didn't receive any email notification.
Thanks for letting us know to check manually! I wouldn't have checked if you hadn't said anything.