2015-2016 Saint Louis University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got marked complete. Had to check status manually, as I didn't receive any email notification.
Thanks for the heads-up. Complete as well.

Members don't see this ad.

What is the max letters to send to SLU? It seems like they only say we should ask 3 college/university teachers.

What is the max letters to send to SLU? It seems like they only say we should ask 3 college/university teachers.
Check their website to make sure, but I think they require 3 teachers but allow additional letters from non-teachers.

Members don't see this ad :)
My current activities are already listed in my work/activities section of my AMCAS app, would it be alright if I just copied/pasted this into the secondary?

Did anyone else get an e-mail from SLU about 11 minutes ago? It is discussing their mission statement what does it mean!

Haha just got that, too. Although it addressed me as "Prospective Applicant" even though I submitted a while ago

I didn't even apply and got the same email.

Reactions: 1 user
Dear Prospective Applicant,

Saint Louis University School of Medicine encourages applications from students who have achieved a high level of academic performance and who manifest in their personal lives those human qualities compatible with a career of service to society. The University’s mission statement affirms the value of a diverse educational environment to prepare students for life and work in a global society. Beyond the important objective of training competent physicians who are scholars of human biology, the School strives to graduate physicians who manifest in their personal and professional lives an appreciation for ethical and professional attitudes that reflect the Jesuit spirit and values, and affect the physician’s interactions with patients and colleagues, and with society.

For more information about the school, please visit our web site: http://medschool.slu.edu/admissions.

I submitted my secondary on the 7th... how long did it take you guys to get "complete" status?

I submitted my secondary on the 7th... how long did it take you guys to get "complete" status?
A few days. Make sure you're checking your status online to see if you're complete. They don't email you when you're complete.

A few days. Make sure you're checking your status online to see if you're complete. They don't email you when you're complete.

Oh... yea I checked their portal and apparently I've been complete. Man they need to send emails about being complete though. Thats kind of important.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh... yea I checked their portal and apparently I've been complete. Man they need to send emails about being complete though. Thats kind of important.
Over the last week, I've discovered that a lot of schools don't send emails about being complete.

Dear Prospective Applicant,

Saint Louis University School of Medicine encourages applications from students who have achieved a high level of academic performance and who manifest in their personal lives those human qualities compatible with a career of service to society. The University’s mission statement affirms the value of a diverse educational environment to prepare students for life and work in a global society. Beyond the important objective of training competent physicians who are scholars of human biology, the School strives to graduate physicians who manifest in their personal and professional lives an appreciation for ethical and professional attitudes that reflect the Jesuit spirit and values, and affect the physician’s interactions with patients and colleagues, and with society.

For more information about the school, please visit our web site: http://medschool.slu.edu/admissions.
I got this too, I think this might be a recruitment sort of email.

I got this too, I think this might be a recruitment sort of email.
I also had emailed them earlier this school year about some of their course prereqs, so maybe they sent out this email to people who had previously been in contact with them this year?

I also had emailed them earlier this school year about some of their course prereqs, so maybe they sent out this email to people who had previously been in contact with them this year?
I was never in contact with this program. So I do not think that is it.

For these additional comments and current activities essays, do you all think around 2000 characters is adequate for each? Im really not about this 10,000 characters life..

ALSO: For the photo, is a plain white Tshirt against a white background fine or is the consensus to be more professional with a dress up shirt and tie?

For these additional comments and current activities essays, do you all think around 2000 characters is adequate for each? Im really not about this 10,000 characters life..

ALSO: For the photo, is a plain white Tshirt against a white background fine or is the consensus to be more professional with a dress up shirt and tie?
They only give you 10,000 characters in case you have some really long set of circumstances to explain. The character limit is by no means an indication that they expect over 1,000 words of additional comments.

For the photo, dress professionally.

Just submitted my secondary.. my first one!

Just to be sure about this..... I submitted my secondary with a committee letter in and one individual letter of rec in. I have one more letter being submitted in the next few days.. SLU will still accept and get this letter that is on the way even though I submitted my secondary already, correct?

Just completed the secondary, first one done. Good luck to all!

Does anyone know if this school is LGBTQ friendly? They have diversity statements and quote offices, but do they look poorly upon that?

I can't access the webpage for the secondary. It says 404 not found. Is anyone else having this issue?

do you guys know if the ad committee is pretty quick at reviewing applications and sending out II? Thank you !

do you guys know if the ad committee is pretty quick at reviewing applications and sending out II? Thank you !
Last year, they didn't start sending out interview invitations until August. Also, that's just when they start sending them out. It is possible that they could read your application in August, set it to the side until later, and then offer you an interview in November.

Does anyone know if this school is LGBTQ friendly? They have diversity statements and quote offices, but do they look poorly upon that?
Wouldn't the contrary be considered illegal discrimination and put them at risk for litigation?

Wouldn't the contrary be considered illegal discrimination and put them at risk for litigation?
They're private, so I'm not sure. A lot of Catholic/Jesuit schools, primarily high schools, have been gathering attention on pro-opinion/belief. Anti-discrimination laws are only in place in 18 states (ones with transsexual rights, as well), with MI not being one of them.

I see very limited data, and anything about LGBT rights is from practicing professors of the SOM.

Not necessarily. It really depends upon how exactly a school expresses its unfriendliness toward LGBTQ individuals. For example, it would constitute illegal discrimination (in some states) to announce that your school does not accept any students who identify as LGBTQ. However, it would not be illegal discrimination for a school to make rules that forbid sexual relationships between persons of the same sex. Many colleges have rules like this.

They are Catholic, so yes, their official stance would be pro-life. I don't know how prominent this is in their school though. It very well could be a thing that never comes up.
Current SLUSOM student; it almost never comes up. They're not going to let you start a pro-choice group on campus or anything, but it really doesn't affect the education in any way. The only thing it really affects is your ob/gyn rotation, which is at St.Mary's hospital. They don't do abortions (obviously), but also no IVF or tubal ligations. So really you're not missing much. I'm not religious at all, and I have no problem attending a Catholic school.

They're private, so I'm not sure. A lot of Catholic/Jesuit schools, primarily high schools, have been gathering attention on pro-opinion/belief. Anti-discrimination laws are only in place in 18 states (ones with transsexual rights, as well), with MI not being one of them.

I see very limited data, and anything about LGBT rights is from practicing professors of the SOM.

I've seen nothing but positive attitudes toward LGBT rights from the students, faculty, and administration. Being Catholic, I'm sure the university itself is not going to openly advocate for it, but in general the attitudes are very liberal. There are many med students and doctors that are very open about supporting LGBT rights, and even lead groups that do so.

Buttermellow, thank you very much for your candid response. This makes me feel much better about my application having some portions of my status on there.
I've seen nothing but positive attitudes toward LGBT rights from the students, faculty, and administration. Being Catholic, I'm sure the university itself is not going to openly advocate for it, but in general the attitudes are very liberal. There are many med students and doctors that are very open about supporting LGBT rights, and even lead groups that do so.

Is anyone else unable to access the secondary portal?

HELP! I paid the fee but it keeps saying I haven't. Did you get a confirmation email after paying the fee? I do not want to pay it twice by accident.

HELP! I paid the fee but it keeps saying I haven't. Did you get a confirmation email after paying the fee? I do not want to pay it twice by accident.

Sure.

Step 1. Take out your phone.

Step 2. Dial: 314-977-9870

Step 3. Politely introduce yourself and state your question.

Reactions: 1 users
@HarryH00d I actually already did that, went on voicemail and i left an email. I wanted to get an answer today so I can submit the application. Thanks for the extremely helpful answer :)

10,000 is a ton of space... How long of essays are y'all writing on average?

10,000 is a ton of space... How long of essays are y'all writing on average?
I think the only reason they give so much space is in case there is some really complicated situation that somebody needs to explain.

mind posting the prompt(s)?
  1. Is any member of your family a student or graduate of Saint Louis University School of Medicine?
  2. Will you be a full-time student for the 2015 - 2016 academic year?
  3. Do you wish to include any comments, other than your AMCAS personal statement, to the Admissions Committee?
  4. Were you ever the recipient of any action (e.g. dismissal, disqualification, suspension, etc.) by any college for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violations?

If you aren't going to be a full-time student, do they want an explanation of past/future gap year activities or should that go under #3 and #2 is just yes/no?

You get 10,000ch to explain if you answer no for the FT status and yes for other comments

Hey everyone! So I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I took my MCAT in January just before they changed the exam which caused me to make some VERY bad decisions. I took it twice because after the first time I took it I felt like I did absolutely horrible and panicked! I didn't want prepare for an entirely new exam if I actually did horrible so I registered for another exam...BEFORE GETTING MY FIRST SCORE BACK.

First score: 29 (9-VR, 10-BS, 10-PS)
Second score: 27 (7-VR, 11-BS, 9-PS)

27!!!! :( :( :( with a 7 in verbal!!!! :'(

I was averaging 31s on my practice exams :(.

Anyway. Do you guys think it's better to address this in the additional comments section in this secondary? I want to explain this whole situation but I don't want it to seem like an excuse for getting a bad score.

For perspective, I have a 4.00 gpa in a molecular and microbiology major. Also, I think I have significant clinical experience ( ER scribe, volunteering, shadowing) and volunteer experience.

What should I do?! :(

Hey everyone! So I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I took my MCAT in January just before they changed the exam which caused me to make some VERY bad decisions. I took it twice because after the first time I took it I felt like I did absolutely horrible and panicked! I didn't want prepare for an entirely new exam if I actually did horrible so I registered for another exam...BEFORE GETTING MY FIRST SCORE BACK.

Anyway. Do you guys think it's better to address this in the additional comments section in this secondary? I want to explain this whole situation but I don't want it to seem like an excuse for getting a bad score.

For perspective, I have a 4.00 gpa in a molecular and microbiology major. Also, I think I have significant clinical experience ( ER scribe, volunteering, shadowing) and volunteer experience.

Personally, I wouldn't have applied this cycle (Just due to downward MCAT) and really cracked down hard for the new exam; especially if I was gap year'ing.
If you discuss your MCAT situation, it has to be nuanced well. I don't think saying I poorly prepared or was super anxious will be very helpful, if anything it'd be a detriment (unfortunately).
Maybe take the secondary an entirely different route about how you're bettering yourself to become a more comprehensive, compassionate future-physician beyond numbers?
I'd ask this in a "What are my chances" and get the adcom's to give you their opinions :)

Good luck to you!

I wouldn't. let the 10, 10, 11 and 9 do the talking. some websites for med schools used to only show average MCAT science scores instead of the whole composite. they might not care much about the entire score. If anything, write a very good essay. Do not write about how you panicked, how you didn't prepare, and how you registered for a new test based on a whim.

Reactions: 1 users
@khendzel

Thanks for the advise! In my essay I basically explained my situation and stated that if the MCAT were not changing I would have waited to receive my score back and allotted sufficient time to prepare and retake the exam. I didn't go into talking about anxiety on test day or explaining that I didn't prepare sufficiently because those both sound like excuses. But I did explain that I had good average on my practice exams and felt prepared. I also said explained that I plan to prepare and retake the new exam if I'm not granted admission this cycle.

@khendzel

Thanks for the advise! In my essay I basically explained my situation and stated that if the MCAT were not changing I would have waited to receive my score back and allotted sufficient time to prepare and retake the exam. I didn't go into talking about anxiety on test day or explaining that I didn't prepare sufficiently because those both sound like excuses. But I did explain that I had good average on my practice exams and felt prepared. I also said explained that I plan to prepare and retake the new exam if I'm not granted admission this cycle.
I'm sorry but because the same mistake's on two threads now....... The grammar freak in me just cannot be held back :p adviCe not adviSe

again, sorry.... Can't resist