2015-2016 Saint Louis University Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My boyfriend was just accepted off of the wait list yesterday! He interviewed sometime in February (I want to say around the middle?), his GPA is 3.9, and his MCAT is 33.

This weekend, he's looking for apartments, so if anyone has any suggestions of where to look for one person, close to campus, it would be much appreciated so I can pass it on to him! 🙂

https://sites.google.com/a/slu.edu/slusom-housing/
They have the facebook page but this one gives you a little information on some of the areas. I'm probably going to end up in central west end but Shaw and botanical heights (I don't think they're written about) are within walking distance of the medical school campus and have some studio/1bd1br apartments for $500-800/mo.
 
is it just me or is the ranked list seemed to be somewhat chronological everyone getting off wait list interviewed in February and January.
 
https://sites.google.com/a/slu.edu/slusom-housing/
They have the facebook page but this one gives you a little information on some of the areas. I'm probably going to end up in central west end but Shaw and botanical heights (I don't think they're written about) are within walking distance of the medical school campus and have some studio/1bd1br apartments for $500-800/mo.

There's a Facebook page for this class, you're saying? If so, could you link to it for me? 🙂 and thank you for this!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you are living further West than Central West end, be aware that traffic may pick up. It is very common for people to commute from West County -> STL in the morning and back in the evening, so traffic on 64 and 44 picks up around those times.

Most people live in CWE, tower grove/Shaw, benton park/soulard, the hill, south grand or apartments right near the medical school. West county is less common- it's a very nice area, but can be a longer commute.

The google docs for finding an M1 roommate (or current student that already has a place) are very useful.
 
Admitted students.
I think you would just need to ask around (I hear that most labs at SLU love to take on MS students) but unless you have a compelling reason to want to be working I'd assume most labs would just tell you to enjoy your last few months of freedom.
 
Does anyone know if there are any research opportunities for pre-m1 students?

I agree with Justtheworst

I think you would just need to ask around (I hear that most labs at SLU love to take on MS students) but unless you have a compelling reason to want to be working I'd assume most labs would just tell you to enjoy your last few months of freedom.


Most of the "good" spots will be taken by M1s doing summer research who set up projects early in the year or applied for paid fellowships. You would almost certainly be getting an unpaid spot which could be taken by an undergrad, and may not be in a project you enjoy, if you even find a spot.

If you are really set on doing research right off the bat after you have started school, contact the interest group in the field you want to do research in, they can recommend the best way to get ahold of the right people in that dept or maybe even get in on their project.
 
Thanks for the advice everyone. I just moved to stl for an opportunity that my partner has, and I'm on the hunt for a summer job. I figured research may be a good option but it sounds like it that may not be the case.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
nothing...called yesterday and the lady sounded optimistic about wait list movement. still trying to stay positive. what are y'all doing to keep your minds busy?
 
nothing...called yesterday and the lady sounded optimistic about wait list movement. still trying to stay positive. what are y'all doing to keep your minds busy?

Reapplication has become my greatest distraction.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
to the international students that got in earlier. anyone know what will happen to international students that get in any day starting from now till July. just read on the site that most documents for visa and the escrow account are due today.
 
Any news from anybody? Still waiting on radio silence.

Also, anything is a possibility but it looks like this is the last week anything significant usually happens based on previous years.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do we have to resubmit letters of recommendations on the secondary application, or will they receive the ones submitted to amcas? There's a tab to upload recommendations on the sec app so I'm not sure.