2015-2016 Saint Louis University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone get in today? What time do they usually send out the emails?

Members don't see this ad.

Just got in today. And cause I know when I was waiting I was always stupidly curious.

Interview Data: 2/9
GPA: 3.77 Overall.
3.77 science
Mcat 515.

Reactions: 1 users
I think there was a pretty good discussion about this topic in the thread from the last application cycle. The city gets a bad rap, but it's a cheap place to live and is relatively safe and up and coming, especially where all the students will live. It is no big city, ofc, but I feel like it's really easy for me to catch a good concert, Blues (LGB!) or Cardinals game, or go to one of the many random events around the city when I'm not studying. I chose SLU over a middle of nowhere state school as well and it was the prospect of being in a city and closer to my family (on top of the what I liked from the curriculum and resources) that helped make my decision for me. If you are already in and in that admitted student facebook page, definitely message one of the current M1s who lead the group. I feel like most will be biased in their opinions, but might give you more insight into how they like living in St. Louis as a med student.

Hey it was posted earlier in the thread but I can't find it at the moment (or maybe it was at my interview day can't remember). Someone mentioned that a lot of students live in an apartment complex (a lot of students from SLU as well as from Wash U) do you know the name of the apartment building.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey it was posted earlier in the thread but I can't find it at the moment (or maybe it was at my interview day can't remember). Someone mentioned that a lot of students live in an apartment complex (a lot of students from SLU as well as from Wash U) do you know the name of the apartment building.

I, too, would like to know this. I heard that most students just live around campus with mostly undergrads in the nearby apartment towers. I've been looking at apartments mostly around in Shaw and Tiffany because I want to be able to walk/bike to campus and clinic with relative ease.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure of an apartment complex name but most WUMS students live in the Central West End area and slusom students do as well.

accepted off waitlist today! declining my offer and hope it goes to one of you. Good luck.

Reactions: 3 users
accepted off waitlist today! declining my offer and hope it goes to one of you. Good luck.
Congratulations! if you don't mind, when did you interview? and what were your stats?

My boyfriend was just accepted off of the wait list yesterday! He interviewed sometime in February (I want to say around the middle?), his GPA is 3.9, and his MCAT is 33.

This weekend, he's looking for apartments, so if anyone has any suggestions of where to look for one person, close to campus, it would be much appreciated so I can pass it on to him! :)

First time poster on this thread. Thanks for all the information/support everyone! I was accepted off the waitlist today via email.

Interviewed: 2/1
GPA 3.75/3.76
MCAT 34

My boyfriend was just accepted off of the wait list yesterday! He interviewed sometime in February (I want to say around the middle?), his GPA is 3.9, and his MCAT is 33.

This weekend, he's looking for apartments, so if anyone has any suggestions of where to look for one person, close to campus, it would be much appreciated so I can pass it on to him! :)

https://sites.google.com/a/slu.edu/slusom-housing/
They have the facebook page but this one gives you a little information on some of the areas. I'm probably going to end up in central west end but Shaw and botanical heights (I don't think they're written about) are within walking distance of the medical school campus and have some studio/1bd1br apartments for $500-800/mo.

is it just me or is the ranked list seemed to be somewhat chronological everyone getting off wait list interviewed in February and January.

https://sites.google.com/a/slu.edu/slusom-housing/
They have the facebook page but this one gives you a little information on some of the areas. I'm probably going to end up in central west end but Shaw and botanical heights (I don't think they're written about) are within walking distance of the medical school campus and have some studio/1bd1br apartments for $500-800/mo.

There's a Facebook page for this class, you're saying? If so, could you link to it for me? :) and thank you for this!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are living further West than Central West end, be aware that traffic may pick up. It is very common for people to commute from West County -> STL in the morning and back in the evening, so traffic on 64 and 44 picks up around those times.

Most people live in CWE, tower grove/Shaw, benton park/soulard, the hill, south grand or apartments right near the medical school. West county is less common- it's a very nice area, but can be a longer commute.

The google docs for finding an M1 roommate (or current student that already has a place) are very useful.

Does anyone know if there are any research opportunities for pre-m1 students?

Admitted students.
I think you would just need to ask around (I hear that most labs at SLU love to take on MS students) but unless you have a compelling reason to want to be working I'd assume most labs would just tell you to enjoy your last few months of freedom.

Does anyone know if there are any research opportunities for pre-m1 students?

I agree with Justtheworst

I think you would just need to ask around (I hear that most labs at SLU love to take on MS students) but unless you have a compelling reason to want to be working I'd assume most labs would just tell you to enjoy your last few months of freedom.

Most of the "good" spots will be taken by M1s doing summer research who set up projects early in the year or applied for paid fellowships. You would almost certainly be getting an unpaid spot which could be taken by an undergrad, and may not be in a project you enjoy, if you even find a spot.

If you are really set on doing research right off the bat after you have started school, contact the interest group in the field you want to do research in, they can recommend the best way to get ahold of the right people in that dept or maybe even get in on their project.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I just moved to stl for an opportunity that my partner has, and I'm on the hunt for a summer job. I figured research may be a good option but it sounds like it that may not be the case.

Just got accepted off the alternate list today! (Interviewed 2/29)

Reactions: 7 users
I haven't heard anything

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

nothing...called yesterday and the lady sounded optimistic about wait list movement. still trying to stay positive. what are y'all doing to keep your minds busy?

nothing...called yesterday and the lady sounded optimistic about wait list movement. still trying to stay positive. what are y'all doing to keep your minds busy?

Reapplication has become my greatest distraction.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Im retaking the mcat in two weeks this wait list is my last hope of not needing to retake I cant focus lol Q_Q

Any movement recently? This waiting is just torture.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone that has been accepted off the waitlist, how long did they give you to accept/decline?

Reactions: 1 users
to the international students that got in earlier. anyone know what will happen to international students that get in any day starting from now till July. just read on the site that most documents for visa and the escrow account are due today.

Any news from anybody? Still waiting on radio silence.

Also, anything is a possibility but it looks like this is the last week anything significant usually happens based on previous years.

Do we have to resubmit letters of recommendations on the secondary application, or will they receive the ones submitted to amcas? There's a tab to upload recommendations on the sec app so I'm not sure.