You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2021-2022 UC Davis
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Let's go jackieeeeeeeII today lol I literally forgot about this school. I figured I was gonna get ghosted.
Primary 8/30. Was complete 10/9 though because of LORs.
Looks like there is only ONE interview date left in March.
Based on last year's thread it looks like next week would be the last round of II's sent out for the cycle. Really stings not to get any love from alma mater with lots of ties to the school and service in the area 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
send an update letter maybe? I think that could help!Based on last year's thread it looks like next week would be the last round of II's sent out for the cycle. Really stings not to get any love from alma mater with lots of ties to the school and service in the area 🙁
they dont accept I thinksend an update letter maybe? I think that could help!
What day?II today lol I literally forgot about this school. I figured I was gonna get ghosted.
Primary 8/30. Was complete 10/9 though because of LORs.
Looks like there is only ONE interview date left in March.
11th. But there are AM and PM groups.What day?
Got an email on 3/3 to interview on 3/4Anyone on interview wait list heard back?
sendhelpandtea
Full Member
I received an II today (woo!) and was not previously on the interview waitlist. Had given up hope on this one, but I'm so excited!
Complete 7/28, in-state & norcal resident. Interview is in a couple weeks
Complete 7/28, in-state & norcal resident. Interview is in a couple weeks
inoffensivepersona
Full Member
+1I received an II today (woo!) and was not previously on the interview waitlist. Had given up hope on this one, but I'm so excited!
Complete 7/28, in-state & norcal resident. Interview is in a couple weeks
I hope this isn’t an interview for the waitlist.
Same boat as you. I believe they interview through April. Going through the thread from last year, it appears the last ii's are being sent out around this week.Do you happen to know when the last interview date is? Wondering as I'm a NorCal native but haven't heard anything since submitting secondary in July. Davis is one of the last schools I have yet to hear from. Thank you 🙂
do they interview for the waitlist whenever their admitting class is already full?+1
I hope this isn’t an interview for the waitlist.
Best of luck!! This gave me hope today!! Thank you for sharing 😊I received an II today (woo!) and was not previously on the interview waitlist. Had given up hope on this one, but I'm so excited!
Complete 7/28, in-state & norcal resident. Interview is in a couple weeks
pi_grl
Full Member
Does anyone know if Davis accepts updates? I feel like I remember they said they don't but just wanted to make sure
No they don’t unfortunately 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Received an A a few minutes ago. Interviewed on 2/18/22 (URM and in-state)
medstudentorder66
New Member
Ahhh congrats!!! Same here!! Have you received an email about it yet? The voicemail I received said they would send an email but I haven’t received anything… my imposter syndrome is making me paranoid about it LOLReceived an A a few minutes ago. Interviewed on 2/18/22 (URM and in-state)
Lol not yet. Honestly I was getting kinda worried too. Congrats on your acceptance.Ahhh congrats!!! Same here!! Have you received an email about it yet? The voicemail I received said they would send an email but I haven’t received anything… my imposter syndrome is making me paranoid about it LOL
medstudentorder66
New Member
I was wondering if there was any action we had to take to accept the offer of admission, but I’m sure they’ll send out that email soon.Lol not yet. Honestly I was getting kinda worried too. Congrats on your acceptance.
Darin William
New Member
I just got the cal!! Also interviewed 2/18!
idiotjessica
New Member
Waitlisted post II 🙁
Congrats to everyone who received an A!😊Anyone know if they’re still sending out more II’s? Haven’t heard a word since submitting early Aug and freaking out lol
mangosports
Full Member
I just got an II! 😁 it says the last interview date is April 8!
waitingnhoping
New Member
Congrats! Would you mind sharing when you submitted?I just got an II! 😁 it says the last interview date is April 8!
mangosports
Full Member
Submitted 7/20Congrats! Would you mind sharing when you submitted?
Dreamerforeverr
New Member
I got an II a few weeks ago. Interview date is April 1st!!! I'm super excited and kinda nervous. Any tips for the MMIs? If it's not too much to ask, considering the NDA and all, did anyone have to do role-play scenarios?
Last edited:
Congrats on your interview!I got an II a few weeks ago. Interview date is April 1st!!! I'm super excited and kinda nervous. Any tips for the MMIs? If it's not too much to ask, considering the NDA and all, did anyone have to do role-play scenarios?
So there are several tips I can provide:
1.) Think of each station as an independent interview. If you struggle with one station, don't let it get to your head. Instead, go into the next station with a clear mind. The next station is an additional opportunity for you to shine. I did really poorly in one station but was still admitted largely due to setting that one station aside in my mind and focusing on the next one.
2.) Make sure you talk through your thought process. Don't assume that the interviewer will connect the dots. If there's something that you think is obvious, it may still be worth stating. Each station is a chance to interact and discuss with your interviewer. Don't feel like you have to talk for the entire time, and make sure you give your interviewer some time to speak as well.
3.) Consider multiple viewpoints. Don't just go with one extreme but discuss the various viewpoints.
___________________
While I won't discuss the format or content of the different stations, I would encourage you to watch the " UC Davis School of Medicine MMI Process" and the "UCD SOM MMI AMP (Applicant Version)" videos that should have been sent in your "Applicant Interview Reminder" email. These videos will tell you the format of the MMI, how many stations there are, and how to prepare for the MMI.
Just received a pre-II R😢 Good luck to everyone else, I hope one of you get an II!
Also received pre-II R 🙁 so sad since this was a top choice for me + native to the area. Best of luck all!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
drakes_feet_pics
Full Member
+1Also received pre-II R 🙁 so sad since this was a top choice for me + native to the area. Best of luck all!
+1Just received a pre-II R😢 Good luck to everyone else, I hope one of you get an II!
sameee 🙁Also received pre-II R 🙁 so sad since this was a top choice for me + native to the area. Best of luck all!
D
deleted1101558
Hey y’all, can anyone answer any of these questions regarding curriculum?
if any current students are here and are down to PM me I have some more specific questions
- systems-based or traditional?
- are preclinical years true p/f? any internal ranking?
- how are ms3 and ms4 years graded?
- are lectures mandatory? are they recorded?
if any current students are here and are down to PM me I have some more specific questions
mangosports
Full Member
Does anyone know if their classes is basically full and they are just adding to the waitlist?
Current MS1 here. As I am sure you know, our curriculum is new this year.Hey y’all, can anyone answer any of these questions regarding curriculum?
thank you!
- systems-based or traditional?
- are preclinical years true p/f? any internal ranking?
- how are ms3 and ms4 years graded?
- are lectures mandatory? are they recorded?
if any current students are here and are down to PM me I have some more specific questions
1. Systems-based
2. True P/F. No internal rank. Need a 60% on final and 70% in overall class (except in Anatomy / Histology, you need a 70% for both).
3. Currently Honors/P/F, but school is discussing changing grading to P/F and are hoping to put it to a vote soon.
4. Lectures are recorded and optional. There is no in person or live lecture. Active learning sessions M/W/F 8-12 are in person and mandatory. There's additional sessions too (clinical skills, longitudinal clinical experience, etc.) but they aren't necessarily each week.
Feel free to post additional questions here or PM me.
Our full financial aid packages came out pretty late. I think late June / July? They typically inform students of scholarships in May, however.Anyone received financial aid yet? Do you know if the UC Davis scholarship is merit based or need based? ($30,000 every year for 4 years)
As far as your other question, the official statement is "All students are considered for these funds. Information collected through the admissions application, and from the FAFSA and UC Davis' financial aid supplemental application is used to award grant and scholarship funds. Some awards are based solely on academic criteria; others are based on academic and financial-need criteria. NOTE: An applicant's scholarship offers from other institutions will not influence our merit or need-based scholarship decisions. We will not attempt to match scholarship offers from other institutions."
I am not sure about specific scholarships. I don't think they really say.
is it manageable to do our own studying during the 8-12 mandatory M/W/F in person? Or are those something that needs 100% of our focus? That definitely seems like a lot of in person mandatory time required when you compare it to other schools. I'm the type of student that really learns best on my own time and am A LOT more efficient when I'm doing my own stuff.Current MS1 here. As I am sure you know, our curriculum is new this year.
1. Systems-based
2. True P/F. No internal rank. Need a 60% on final and 70% in overall class (except in Anatomy / Histology, you need a 70% for both).
3. Currently Honors/P/F, but school is discussing changing grading to P/F and are hoping to put it to a vote soon.
4. Lectures are recorded and optional. There is no in person or live lecture. Active learning sessions M/W/F 8-12 are in person and mandatory. There's additional sessions too (clinical skills, longitudinal clinical experience, etc.) but they aren't necessarily each week.
Feel free to post additional questions here or PM me.
Sometimes. Each day starts with PBL (problem based learning), which has us split into groups of 8. Each group has their own classroom and facilitator assigned. You'll either be working through a case together, teaching the group an assigned topic, or listening to your other group members. Individual studying during this time would be obvious and likely called out. We receive evaluations based on our performance in PBL which eventually helps determine our grade for this portion. The other part of the day is either TBL (team based learning), peer teaching (practice clicker questions graded on number correct not participation), or patient panels. For these, we are all in a big classroom, but we do have assigned tables for TBL. A lot of people work on random stuff during TBL (or outright skip the class), but some focus is usually necessary. We work through cases and have table discussions, and random tables get called on to answer. Because peer teaching is graded on accuracy, electronics and notes are not allowed out so it is not really possible to study during this time. For patient panels, we're just listening to the patients, so you don't necessarily need to focus 100%, but it's rude to be on computers during this time. As of now, we use clickers for attendance before each session (so in theory you could skip certain sessions), but I wouldn't doubt it if they change how attendance is taken (they already have once this year), so I can't say for certain.is it manageable to do our own studying during the 8-12 mandatory M/W/F in person? Or are those something that needs 100% of our focus? That definitely seems like a lot of in person mandatory time required when you compare it to other schools. I'm the type of student that really learns best on my own time and am A LOT more efficient when I'm doing my own stuff.
Would you say that you and the majority of your classmates find these 8-12 M/W/F portions of the curriculum helpful? Or is it mostly just a time sink?Sometimes. Each day starts with PBL (problem based learning), which has us split into groups of 8. Each group has their own classroom and facilitator assigned. You'll either be working through a case together, teaching the group an assigned topic, or listening to your other group members. Individual studying during this time would be obvious and likely called out. We receive evaluations based on our performance in PBL which eventually helps determine our grade for this portion. The other part of the day is either TBL (team based learning), peer teaching (practice clicker questions graded on number correct not participation), or patient panels. For these, we are all in a big classroom, but we do have assigned tables for TBL. A lot of people work on random stuff during TBL (or outright skip the class), but some focus is usually necessary. We work through cases and have table discussions, and random tables get called on to answer. Because peer teaching is graded on accuracy, electronics and notes are not allowed out so it is not really possible to study during this time. For patient panels, we're just listening to the patients, so you don't necessarily need to focus 100%, but it's rude to be on computers during this time. As of now, we use clickers for attendance before each session (so in theory you could skip certain sessions), but I wouldn't doubt it if they change how attendance is taken (they already have once this year), so I can't say for certain.
D
deleted1101558
Thanks! This was very helpful.Current MS1 here. As I am sure you know, our curriculum is new this year.
1. Systems-based
2. True P/F. No internal rank. Need a 60% on final and 70% in overall class (except in Anatomy / Histology, you need a 70% for both).
3. Currently Honors/P/F, but school is discussing changing grading to P/F and are hoping to put it to a vote soon.
4. Lectures are recorded and optional. There is no in person or live lecture. Active learning sessions M/W/F 8-12 are in person and mandatory. There's additional sessions too (clinical skills, longitudinal clinical experience, etc.) but they aren't necessarily each week.
Feel free to post additional questions here or PM me.
A few more questions if you don't mind: Are there exam weeks or are they scheduled periodically throughout each block? How's the academic advising? How easy/hard is it for students to get research opportunities?
Honestly, these exercises are not done to just kill time. It’s part of learning to become a good doctor. Learning to become a doctor requires interactions with others, interactions with patients and learning from each other. If you learn in a siloed fashion I think your clerkship attending a will realize you just didn’t put the time to really clear. To think in a clinical fashionWould you say that you and the majority of your classmates find these 8-12 M/W/F portions of the curriculum helpful? Or is it mostly just a time sink?
Sorry. Typo. Last sentence should be:Honestly, these exercises are not done to just kill time. It’s part of learning to become a good doctor. Learning to become a doctor requires interactions with others, interactions with patients and learning from each other. If you learn in a siloed fashion I think your clerkship attending a will realize you just didn’t put the time to really clear. To think in a clinical fashion
If you learn in a siloed fashion I think your clerkship attending a will realize you just didn’t put the time to really learn to think in a clinical fashion. Clinical thinking = interactional/transactional learning.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
*cries in early march interview that got rescheduled to April because the Zoom system crashed*A from 3/21. Late stage interviews do pan out!
Congrats!!!!!!!! 🙂🙂🙂🙂
sendhelpandtea
Full Member
Same!!! Couldn’t believe it 😍😭😭 First A of the cycle! Now I can breathe.A from 3/21. Late stage interviews do pan out!
congrats to the future doctors!!!Same!!! Couldn’t believe it 😍😭😭 First A of the cycle! Now I can breathe.