2021-2022 UC Davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A from 3/21. Late stage interviews do pan out!
*cries in early march interview that got rescheduled to April because the Zoom system crashed*

Congrats!!!!!!!! :):):):)

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Same!!! Couldn’t believe it 😍😭😭 First A of the cycle! Now I can breathe.
Congratulations! You will totally love UCD. Excellent peer-colleagues and excellent faculty and program.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
I can’t decide between UC Davis and UCSF! I wish I could go to both 😭

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
I can’t decide between UC Davis and UCSF! I wish I could go to both 😭
Isint UCSF the better choice? Heard they’re hella chill and they’re obv also higher ranked

Isint UCSF the better choice? Heard they’re hella chill and they’re obv also higher ranked
Ranking isn't everything, especially if you're not into research. They are both excellent schools with exceptional medical education so it's just a matter of personal preference at that point and probably financial aid package :)

• Care
Ranking isn't everything, especially if you're not into research. They are both excellent schools with exceptional medical education so it's just a matter of personal preference at that point and probably financial aid package :)
Shawn Wayans Message GIF

I hope there is good news today in time for the second look tomorrow

WL from 4/1! Was supposed to be 3/11 but Zoom crashedManifesting the A for May 1st

Last edited:
  • Care
Just got accepted 1 hr ago

Interviewed early march but Zoom Crashed, Re-interviewed 4/1

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations. You will love it at UC Davis. Hopefully you accept.
Thank you! Where can I find my UCD Student ID? Im trying to fill out the Supplemental financial aid form and its asking for an ID #

Thank you! Where can I find my UCD Student ID? Im trying to fill out the Supplemental financial aid form and its asking for an ID #
It should be in one of the emails they send after the acceptance, at the very end

Just got a scholarship. Does this exist independent of Financial Aid? I submitted the FAFSA this morning, and my mom submitted her W2 45 min ago so I'm a bit confused about the turnaround time.

Just got a scholarship. Does this exist independent of Financial Aid? I submitted the FAFSA this morning, and my mom submitted her W2 45 min ago so I'm a bit confused about the turnaround time.
It does but you still needed to fill out the financial aid packet and also need to fill out the FAFSA. Hope you got a decent amount for the scholarship. Anything helps now a days in med school and UCD really tries hard to help students out. Good luck.

• Care
Thanks! This was very helpful.

A few more questions if you don't mind: Are there exam weeks or are they scheduled periodically throughout each block? How's the academic advising? How easy/hard is it for students to get research opportunities?
Exam weeks:
Not totally sure what you mean by "exam weeks" – do you mean a week where you take exams for multiple blocks? We only take one block at a time, and exams are built into the block: one midterm and a final for shorter blocks, a few midterms and a final for longer blocks. During midterm weeks, they typically hold review sessions instead of PBL/TBL, and cut the pre-recorded lecture load down by about 50%. During finals week, it's typically all review sessions and no new material. Some blocks have OSCEs built in, too, which are worth as much or more than a midterm.

Academic advising:
We are all assigned an academic coach in groups of 8ish students. We have the same coach/coaching group all 4 years, and your coach is never in a position to grade you on anything – they're solely there to help you navigate med school. You learn clinical skills with your coaching group in M1/M2. There are also career and specialty advisors you can meet with, and the deans I've interacted with have all been super accessible and open to talking about academics and career choices.

Research:
I'm not super involved in research, but it seems like most people who want to do research have a fairly easy time arranging opportunities. Some people are on multiple projects with multiple PIs.

is it manageable to do our own studying during the 8-12 mandatory M/W/F in person? Or are those something that needs 100% of our focus? That definitely seems like a lot of in person mandatory time required when you compare it to other schools. I'm the type of student that really learns best on my own time and am A LOT more efficient when I'm doing my own stuff.

People do their own studying to varying degrees during TBL, which is usually 2 of the 4 hours MWF. In general, though, I'd say try to use TBLs as they're intended at first, and see how it goes for you. The more invested you are in TBL, the more you'll learn from them, and they've been increasingly useful as built-in reviews as the year has progressed and faculty have learned how to structure them more effectively. I was pretty checked out during TBLs early on, and hated them. Now I try to prepare for them when I can find time, and when I do, I get a lot out of them.

Would you say that you and the majority of your classmates find these 8-12 M/W/F portions of the curriculum helpful? Or is it mostly just a time sink?

There are as many opinions on this as there are classmates, with differences based on group placements and personal preferences. We have 4 types of activities during the MWF 8-12 hours:
(1) Problem-based Learning (PBL). You get out what you and your group put in. Group dynamics, faculty facilitator styles, and overall approaches vary dramatically from group to group. I get very little out of PBL, but it's also super low stress. Other people are in more stressful groups, but learn a lot more.
(2) Team-based Learning (TBL). This is typically 2 hours of working through a case scenario as an entire class, broken into groups of 8 that get called on at random by the faculty leading the session. My feeling is that most of us found these to be time sinks early on, but are finding them increasingly useful these days. Lots of people skip these, but the administration is working on a few ways to track attendance, and it is technically required...so if you skip it, you could get in actual trouble.
(3) Peer Teaching (PT). These are one-hour sessions of faculty-written board-style practice questions that we answer in real time with clickers. You choose your group for this. We do a first round on each question where everyone (supposedly) answers individually. If less than 80% of people get the correct answer, then we have a few minutes to discuss as a group and "peer teach", then resubmit our answers. If a significant number of people still miss the question (I forget what %), they throw the question out. If you show up prepared, this is actually a great use of time – it's hard to beat practice questions as a means of review. Everybody freaked out at the beginning of the year because we're graded on the number of correct answers each session, but it turns out that it's worth such a small portion of your overall grade that very, very few people have to worry about their scores in PT. People still do, because we're neurotic med students who've been trained to be grade-obsessed... but take a breath, relax, and PT ends up being pretty good.
(4) Patient Panels (PP). These don't happen nearly as often as the above 3 activities, but from time to time, faculty bring in patients who have diseases relevant to the current block and lead Q&A discussions about their experiences. You can learn a lot about the human side of medicine by hearing patients' stories, as well as systemic issues and how they negatively impact patients. Seems like most classmates pay attention during these and enjoy them. Some people are extremely disrespectful and clearly are banging through anki cards the whole time. (I'm 100% comfortable passing that judgment. Future physicians shouldn't rudely ignore patients who've been through hell and back and are taking time out of their lives to help us learn how to make healthcare a little less hellish of an experience for our future patients.)

Also, how long did it take for you guys to get financial aid? Hopefully i can get a package before the 2nd

Has anyone interviewed for ACE-PC program?

WL, interviewed 4/8, heres hoping that there is waitlist movement coming soon next week

April 30th is here.... I know the "official" day is May 2nd but good luck to all the other fellow waitlisters <3 May the odds be in our favor!

Reactions: 4 users
Just withdrew my A.

No funny, this one hurt. :cryi:
Good luck to all the future docs out there and good luck to all my homies on the WL. :highfive:

Reactions: 2 users
It's only day 2 but any movement yet?? 😭

just withdrew my A :) good luck to everyone!!!

• Care
anyone know of anyone who heard from someone about whethere there has been movement?

From what I recall in last years thread it wasn't until the second week of May that there was a lot of movement, hold tight y'all we got this <3

Sigh. Guess we'll regroup next week lol

Just got accepted off the waitlist!!! Anyone know if UCD will match scholarship offers??😭

Reactions: 2 users
ACCEPTED OFF THE WAITLIST!!!! So so so happy. Interviewed 4/8 - their last interview day!

• Love
Got the call off the waitlist yesterday! Super excited to attend this school and grateful they were willing to give me a shot. 3.7x 52x NorCal resident

Got the call off the waitlist yesterday! Super excited to attend this school and grateful they were willing to give me a shot. 3.7x 52x NorCal resident
Congrats!

me patiently waiting with my phone next to me

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Hi Charlene, I’m just a phone call away!
D1474F45-5FD1-44EE-A3D0-C7D88B373366.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
According to the UCDSOM 2026 facebook group, there were 39 people added within the last week...:oops: