2020-2021 Louisville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Louisville

Secondary Prompts 2020-2021:
1) Why are you choosing to apply to the University of Louisville School of Medicine? (500)

2) How well did your high school prepare you for college? (500)

3) What determined your choice of college(s)? (500)

4) How do you assess your college record? (500)

5) Please describe any circumstances adversely affecting your academic performance while in college. (500)

6) Describe your most significant personal accomplishments and/or experiences and how these may relate to your potential to contribute to the medical community. (1000)

7) What has been your most significant contribution to your community, through service or volunteerism? What was its impact on the community and on you? (1000)

8) How have your cultural experiences shaped the way you see yourself contributing to the medical field and strengthened your ability to provide equitable care for a diverse patient population? (1000)

9) List and describe any additional experiences, interests, hobbies, or skills not included in other areas of your application or that you have completed since submitting your AMCAS application. (500) (Optional)

10) How has the pandemic affected the way you view the healthcare system and/or see yourself contributing to the medical field? (1000)

11) Discuss briefly why you have decided to pursue medicine and how your personal characteristics align with those you believe are most needed by physicians. (500)

12) Practice after residency: How do you see yourself practicing medicine after residency training? (Please include choice of medical practice and location). (500)

13) What career(s) would you consider if you could not be a physician and why? (500)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Secondary received today, 13 essays between 500-1000 characters if my count is right.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary Received 7/15.
Submitted 7/16. IS

1) Why are you choosing to apply to the University of Louisville School of Medicine? (500)

5) Please describe any circumstances adversely affecting your academic performance while in college. (500)

6) Describe your most significant personal accomplishments and/or experiences and how these may relate to your potential to contribute to the medical community. (1000)

7) What has been your most significant contribution to your community, through service or volunteerism? What was its impact on the community and on you? (1000)

8) How have your cultural experiences shaped the way you see yourself contributing to the medical field and strengthened your ability to provide equitable care for a diverse patient population? (1000)

9) List and describe any additional experiences, interests, hobbies, or skills not included in other areas of your application or that you have completed since submitting your AMCAS application. (500) (Optional)

10) How has the pandemic affected the way you view the healthcare system and/or see yourself contributing to the medical field? (1000)

11) Discuss briefly why you have decided to pursue medicine and how your personal characteristics align with those you believe are most needed by physicians. (500)

12) Practice after residency: How do you see yourself practicing medicine after residency training? (Please include choice of medical practice and location). (500)

13) What career(s) would you consider if you could not be a physician and why? (500)

This secondary was loooooooonnnggggggg. It has some other prompts too about violations and residency questions. Good Luck, y'all!!

@TheDataKing

Last edited:
Just wondering, does Louisville require or give strong preference to applicants with state ties? I don't have any ties and i'm wondering if it's worth filling out the secondary.

Just wondering, does Louisville require or give strong preference to applicants with state ties? I don't have any ties and i'm wondering if it's worth filling out the secondary.
They do typically give preference to IS and those with state ties. However, there were still several OOS applicants who got interviews and acceptances on last years thread. I'd say if the school is appealing to you and you believe in their mission, go for it! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I am new to SDN, and I was wondering if people would post when interviews start rolling out on here?

II!!! Submitted 5/29, verified 6/10, secondary submitted 7/19

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats! would you mind sharing how you approached the "why us?"? Do they care more about research or service?
Thank you! I did a little bit of each! I have about equal experience in both areas so I tried to mention specific ULSOM programs for service and research that I could see myself contributing to!

II!!! Submitted 5/29, verified 6/10, secondary submitted 7/19

Congratulations!! You are the first II I have heard about this cycle! Question. Did you state another career for this question, "What career(s) would you consider if you could not be a physician and why? (500)?"

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what a typical week is like M1/M2? Like how much PBL is there compared to lecture, how many sessions / hours are required per week?

I know UL has a preference for IS, and I am OOS so I am wondering how bad it would be to leave the ties question blank as I don't have any connections with the state?

Just a head's up that you can't save your progress while filling out the app, so don't bother answering all the basic, identifying info until you've written out all your essays. I just wasted a small bit of time listing out all my places of residence, only to go back to the menu and lose all my work

Just a head's up that you can't save your progress while filling out the app, so don't bother answering all the basic, identifying info until you've written out all your essays. I just wasted a small bit of time listing out all my places of residence, only to go back to the menu and lose all my work

Same exact thing happened to me when I opened up the menu this morning. Very frustrating. Also, am I the only one struggling with the "Where do you see yourself after residency?" question? Lol

Secondary Received 7/15.
Submitted 7/16. IS

This secondary was loooooooonnnggggggg. It has some other prompts too about violations and residency questions. Good Luck, y'all!!

@TheDataKing

Are these word counts or character counts?

II received! IS, URM, LM: 66, complete on 7/16!! :)

Any OOS II received??
yes! OOS but go to school in KY. II received 8/27 after submitting secondary 7/27. seemed like all my IS friends had all had interviews by now. Interview date 9/17

Anyone in here know of any applicants who have completed the MS in physiology and biophysics degree from UofLSOM and whether or not they were interviewed and/or accepted? Thanks and good luck to all!

What is this asking?

What is this asking?
I could be wrong, but I think it's how do you assess your performance in college? Poor grades? Any extenuating circumstances? So if you did well and don't have any bad semesters, or anything, then I guess just discuss being able to balance extracurriculars + school and stuff?

*If anyone views it differently please chime in*

I could be wrong, but I think it's how do you assess your performance in college? Poor grades? Any extenuating circumstances? So if you did well and don't have any bad semesters, or anything, then I guess just discuss being able to balance extracurriculars + school and stuff?

*If anyone views it differently please chime in*

Thank you!
One more question if you do not mind. When it asks "What determined your choice of college(s)" I am assuming this means your undergraduate college?

Thank you!
One more question if you do not mind. When it asks "What determined your choice of college(s)" I am assuming this means your undergraduate college?
Yes, that's what I did and they have another Q atleast for OOS to answer "Why Louisville", but I could imagine if post-bac applies, could maybe mention that too if there's something more compelling to discuss there.

Are they screening for secondaries? OOS and still haven't got one. Anyone else?

Probably so. I’m OOS but have a MS degree from UofL SOM which is probably why I got a secondary. Not sure what their screening criteria is though.

Yes, UofL does screen but they do not publish their criteria. I received my secondary (I'm OOS) the same day my AMCAS primary was received by them so think it must be a quick GPA/MCAT screen. I know their OOS spot are pretty small (can be no more than 42 OOS for a class of 162). If it's been a couple of weeks since your primary was transmitted, you might give them a call/email if your confident your stats are above average.

Last edited:
anyone with II have any information regarding VITA for louisville?

anyone with II have any information regarding VITA for louisville?
you will get an email from AAMC the Thursday after your II and you don't have to complete it before your interview. they just ask its completed before the first adcom meeting after your interview (2nd and 4th tues of each month) so that you have a complete file by then

I submitted both the secondary and prereq checklist (they both say complete/submitted) just today but haven't gotten a confirmation email saying it was submitted or completed. Am I missing something? Or did it take a while for y'all to get one (or not even get one)?

I submitted both the secondary and prereq checklist (they both say complete/submitted) just today but haven't gotten a confirmation email saying it was submitted or completed. Am I missing something? Or did it take a while for y'all to get one (or not even get one)?
I received a completion email a couple days after submitting my secondary that said I was in a pool for possible interviews.

Thanks! OOS (Texas) but I have strong ties to KY because the majority of my family is up here and I also go to UK for grad school. MCAT 506, uGPA 3.13, gGPA 3.75

Nice! I’m also OOS (Ohio) but work in Kentucky with similar stats so this gives me hope!!! Hope you kill your interview!!!

Nice! I’m also OOS (Ohio) but work in Kentucky with similar stats so this gives me hope!!! Hope you kill your interview!!!
Yesss, keep the hope alive because I for sure didn't think I would get any interview at an MD school let alone OOS but here I am! And thank you, the same goes to you when you get your invite!!! :)