2021-2022 Louisville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know how they order applications to review? Interview 10/19 and have two no decisions. Seeing people interview later than me with A’s has me concerned.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Can someone who has insight into this school give me their reasons for choosing this school? I live in Kentucky and have acceptances at U of L and Northern Kentucky University/UK regional medical campus. I am wondering what the vibe is here. Are students competitive or supportive? Tell me why you are going here.
Hi! Congrats on the acceptances, and to everyone that has recently been accepted! It’s a very exciting time and something to definitely be proud of.

In regards to the vibe, it’s definitely very welcoming and supportive. I came from a T10 undergrad that was hostile and cut throat, so I know how bad it can get and it’s a complete 180. Everyone is so nice, and the admins genuinely care about you. Also, the fact that our curriculum is Pass/Fail in the first two years definitely helps this. Looking back, I should have made this a deal breaker for medical schools cause it makes SUCH a big difference in culture and your general well-being/stress levels.

I chose Louisville for a few reasons. First, I’m interested in rural medicine and the Trover Track in Madisonville is AMAZING for this. They also have a ton of mentorship which is super important for me (check out their advisory colleges).

Also, the curriculum is very diverse. We have standardized patient encounters, humanism in medicine sessions, traditional lectures, and a great LGBTQ+ curriculum to expose us to many minority populations before the clinical years and beyond.

It’s also worth noting that our anatomy lab is dissection based where we (first year med students) physically do the dissections of each region, compared to the prosections that UK has. I love the hands on aspect and it helps me learn a lot better.

Overall, every medical school has its pros and cons (did I mention the huge OOS COA). However, the welcoming culture of Louisville as a whole is what ultimately sold me. I can’t imagine myself being anywhere else and I absolutely love my professors, classmates, the school, and the city as a whole. It’s been a really positive experience. I hope this helps, and congrats again!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Interview Invite today! IS, complete early august, interview scheduled for 12/1!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Congrats on the acceptances, and to everyone that has recently been accepted! It’s a very exciting time and something to definitely be proud of.

In regards to the vibe, it’s definitely very welcoming and supportive. I came from a T10 undergrad that was hostile and cut throat, so I know how bad it can get and it’s a complete 180. Everyone is so nice, and the admins genuinely care about you. Also, the fact that our curriculum is Pass/Fail in the first two years definitely helps this. Looking back, I should have made this a deal breaker for medical schools cause it makes SUCH a big difference in culture and your general well-being/stress levels.

I chose Louisville for a few reasons. First, I’m interested in rural medicine and the Trover Track in Madisonville is AMAZING for this. They also have a ton of mentorship which is super important for me (check out their advisory colleges).

Also, the curriculum is very diverse. We have standardized patient encounters, humanism in medicine sessions, traditional lectures, and a great LGBTQ+ curriculum to expose us to many minority populations before the clinical years and beyond.

It’s also worth noting that our anatomy lab is dissection based where we (first year med students) physically do the dissections of each region, compared to the prosections that UK has. I love the hands on aspect and it helps me learn a lot better.

Overall, every medical school has its pros and cons (did I mention the huge OOS COA, but hey we all go into debt anyways). However, the welcoming culture of Louisville as a whole is what ultimately sold me. I can’t imagine myself being anywhere else and I absolutely love my professors, classmates, the school, and the city as a whole. It’s been a really positive experience. I hope this helps, and congrats again!
Thank you for the kind words and advice! I have a question - are the exams in house exams or are they NBME exams?

Thank you for the kind words and advice! I have a question - are the exams in house exams or are they NBME exams?
Both, all of our block exams throughout the semester are in house exams written by faculty that are trained to write and submit/review hundreds of NBME questions every year. However, at the end of the semester we have a cumulative NBME exam.

Has anyone who received the "continued review" email heard any news? I am holding onto hope that this wasn't a soft R..:confused:

Has anyone who received the "continued review" email heard any news? I am holding onto hope that this wasn't a soft R..:confused:
I received the email, and I got an II last week. I think it was just a regular status update sent to everyone.

Reactions: 2 users
I never got the continued review email... silence since complete in aug.

I was complete Aug 3 and got the continued review email exactly one month later, 1st week of October. Haven't heard anything else since.

Members don't see this ad :)

Overall, every medical school has its pros and cons (did I mention the huge OOS COA, but hey we all go into debt anyways). However, the welcoming culture of Louisville as a whole is what ultimately sold me. I can’t imagine myself being anywhere else and I absolutely love my professors, classmates, the school, and the city as a whole. It’s been a really positive experience. I hope this helps, and congrats again!
Thanks so much!

Didn’t get an email, but got a call from the office asking if I had received an email and I’m super confused. Did this happen to anyone else? I tried to call back and email and both got an automatic response that they’re out of the office until Monday. I’m sort of panicking.

Didn’t get an email, but got a call from the office asking if I had received an email and I’m super confused. Did this happen to anyone else? I tried to call back and email and both got an automatic response that they’re out of the office until Monday. I’m sort of panicking.
Ended up getting an A today! IS applicant interviewed mid-October.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
Can anyone who has had an interview here say a little bit about how it is? Is it a stress interview, is it chill, is there anything I should look out for? Any insight is very much appreciated.

got the under review email a while ago, can anyone tell me when Louisville stops sending II's? I am really hoping to hear from them but I want to know if I should give up hope

got the under review email a while ago, can anyone tell me when Louisville stops sending II's? I am really hoping to hear from them but I want to know if I should give up hope
Edit: I think their class has been filled, but they keep doing interviews through the first week of February for waitlist positions. Typically, 1/3 of waitlisted applicants are ultimately accepted (according to old sdn threads)

Last edited:
Their class has been filled, but they keep doing interviews through the first week of February for waitlist positions. Typically, 1/3 of waitlisted applicants are ultimately accepted.
really filled already? what is the class size?
this thread has been kinda dead.

Their class has been filled, but they keep doing interviews through the first week of February for waitlist positions. Typically, 1/3 of waitlisted applicants are ultimately accepted.
where did you hear that the class was filled?

When were you complete? I am OOS and only got one "under review" email early October.
Welp..... that's disappointing. How'd you get this info?

where did you hear that the class was filled?
I haven't interviewed yet, but I know another student who has and was waitlisted. It was info I heard from them 🤷‍♀️ seems consistent with previous threads too, where people who interviewed in January were waitlisted / rejected rather than accepted. The 1/3 of people taken off the waitlist info was also from an old UL thread.

wow I hope it isn’t filled…. Interviewed 10/19 and still haven’t had my app reviewed by admissions.

• Care
Can anyone who has had an interview here say a little bit about how it is? Is it a stress interview, is it chill, is there anything I should look out for? Any insight is very much appreciated.
Extremely relaxed. They honestly tried to make it as stress free as possible. Just be prepared to justify your answers to questions like any other interview.

Edit: a word

Man that e-mail spooked me. Halloween is over Louisville...

That they will be out of the office until January and that I am still under review.
Yeah it was particularly weird that they said in my e-mail "guestuser5300 is under review, a decision on YOUR application has yet to be made..."

Yeah it was particularly weird that they said in my e-mail "guestuser5300 is under review, a decision on YOUR application has yet to be made..."
Umm you know what I mean… 😤

• Haha
Does anyone know if they would send out an R after receiving a secondary? Trying to determine if it's worth holding out hope for an II, lol

Does anyone know if they would send out an R after receiving a secondary? Trying to determine if it's worth holding out hope for an II, lol
People say that they don’t send out R’s till the end of the cycle. Also I’ve heard that the class is full and they are interviewing for a waitlist right now.

The last email I got prior to winter break said they had NOT filled their class yet. I have an interview this month, but I do know that historically a lot of people get pulled from the waitlist (like said before ~1/3 of the class). Can anyone give an idea of what type of questions theyre asking this year? Are they situational, behavioral, or more random things about your application and yourself?

The last email I got prior to winter break said they had NOT filled their class yet. I have an interview this month, but I do know that historically a lot of people get pulled from the waitlist (like said before ~1/3 of the class). Can anyone give an idea of what type of questions theyre asking this year? Are they situational, behavioral, or more random things about your application and yourself?
Was the email you got about the school going on winter break and not releasing decisions until after January 2nd? The only reason I ask is that I also received that email and the email only states about my application is still being considered. Nowhere in the email did it state about the class not being filled yet.

Was the email you got about the school going on winter break and not releasing decisions until after January 2nd? The only reason I ask is that I also received that email and the email only states about my application is still being considered. Nowhere in the email did it state about the class not being filled yet.
You know, I went back and re-read it, and I think I had read a different email and just associated it with them :rofl:. Guess we shall find out if theyre full or not in a few weeks lol.

Is there any groupchat or something for accepted students this cycle? I would love to meet some of the other applicants who have also been accepted to U of L already :)

Reactions: 2 users
Are there any current students on here that wouldn't mind me messaging them?