You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2021-2022 Louisville
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hi! Congrats on the acceptances, and to everyone that has recently been accepted! It’s a very exciting time and something to definitely be proud of.Can someone who has insight into this school give me their reasons for choosing this school? I live in Kentucky and have acceptances at U of L and Northern Kentucky University/UK regional medical campus. I am wondering what the vibe is here. Are students competitive or supportive? Tell me why you are going here.
In regards to the vibe, it’s definitely very welcoming and supportive. I came from a T10 undergrad that was hostile and cut throat, so I know how bad it can get and it’s a complete 180. Everyone is so nice, and the admins genuinely care about you. Also, the fact that our curriculum is Pass/Fail in the first two years definitely helps this. Looking back, I should have made this a deal breaker for medical schools cause it makes SUCH a big difference in culture and your general well-being/stress levels.
I chose Louisville for a few reasons. First, I’m interested in rural medicine and the Trover Track in Madisonville is AMAZING for this. They also have a ton of mentorship which is super important for me (check out their advisory colleges).
Also, the curriculum is very diverse. We have standardized patient encounters, humanism in medicine sessions, traditional lectures, and a great LGBTQ+ curriculum to expose us to many minority populations before the clinical years and beyond.
It’s also worth noting that our anatomy lab is dissection based where we (first year med students) physically do the dissections of each region, compared to the prosections that UK has. I love the hands on aspect and it helps me learn a lot better.
Overall, every medical school has its pros and cons (did I mention the huge OOS COA). However, the welcoming culture of Louisville as a whole is what ultimately sold me. I can’t imagine myself being anywhere else and I absolutely love my professors, classmates, the school, and the city as a whole. It’s been a really positive experience. I hope this helps, and congrats again!
Last edited:
Sciencegal3000
Full Member
Interview Invite today! IS, complete early august, interview scheduled for 12/1!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for the kind words and advice! I have a question - are the exams in house exams or are they NBME exams?Hi! Congrats on the acceptances, and to everyone that has recently been accepted! It’s a very exciting time and something to definitely be proud of.
In regards to the vibe, it’s definitely very welcoming and supportive. I came from a T10 undergrad that was hostile and cut throat, so I know how bad it can get and it’s a complete 180. Everyone is so nice, and the admins genuinely care about you. Also, the fact that our curriculum is Pass/Fail in the first two years definitely helps this. Looking back, I should have made this a deal breaker for medical schools cause it makes SUCH a big difference in culture and your general well-being/stress levels.
I chose Louisville for a few reasons. First, I’m interested in rural medicine and the Trover Track in Madisonville is AMAZING for this. They also have a ton of mentorship which is super important for me (check out their advisory colleges).
Also, the curriculum is very diverse. We have standardized patient encounters, humanism in medicine sessions, traditional lectures, and a great LGBTQ+ curriculum to expose us to many minority populations before the clinical years and beyond.
It’s also worth noting that our anatomy lab is dissection based where we (first year med students) physically do the dissections of each region, compared to the prosections that UK has. I love the hands on aspect and it helps me learn a lot better.
Overall, every medical school has its pros and cons (did I mention the huge OOS COA, but hey we all go into debt anyways). However, the welcoming culture of Louisville as a whole is what ultimately sold me. I can’t imagine myself being anywhere else and I absolutely love my professors, classmates, the school, and the city as a whole. It’s been a really positive experience. I hope this helps, and congrats again!
Both, all of our block exams throughout the semester are in house exams written by faculty that are trained to write and submit/review hundreds of NBME questions every year. However, at the end of the semester we have a cumulative NBME exam.Thank you for the kind words and advice! I have a question - are the exams in house exams or are they NBME exams?
Has anyone who received the "continued review" email heard any news? I am holding onto hope that this wasn't a soft R..😕
parlezvousmed
Full Member
Nope, I was wondering the same thing :/Has anyone who received the "continued review" email heard any news? I am holding onto hope that this wasn't a soft R..😕
I received the email, and I got an II last week. I think it was just a regular status update sent to everyone.Has anyone who received the "continued review" email heard any news? I am holding onto hope that this wasn't a soft R..😕
I never got the continued review email... silence since complete in aug.
I was complete Aug 3 and got the continued review email exactly one month later, 1st week of October. Haven't heard anything else since.
II today! complete 9/17
Congrats!! Are there still openings this year? I was complete like 2 days after you and am still anxiously waiting for any newsII today! complete 9/17
there were 2 openings to choose from! Both were in December.Congrats!! Are there still openings this year? I was complete like 2 days after you and am still anxiously waiting for any news
Good luck you GOT THIS! 🙂
IS or OOS?II today! complete 9/17
OOS!IS or OOS?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Stats please (MCAT / GPA)OOS!
Thanks so much!Hi! Congrats on the acceptances, and to everyone that has recently been accepted! It’s a very exciting time and something to definitely be proud of.
In regards to the vibe, it’s definitely very welcoming and supportive. I came from a T10 undergrad that was hostile and cut throat, so I know how bad it can get and it’s a complete 180. Everyone is so nice, and the admins genuinely care about you. Also, the fact that our curriculum is Pass/Fail in the first two years definitely helps this. Looking back, I should have made this a deal breaker for medical schools cause it makes SUCH a big difference in culture and your general well-being/stress levels.
I chose Louisville for a few reasons. First, I’m interested in rural medicine and the Trover Track in Madisonville is AMAZING for this. They also have a ton of mentorship which is super important for me (check out their advisory colleges).
Also, the curriculum is very diverse. We have standardized patient encounters, humanism in medicine sessions, traditional lectures, and a great LGBTQ+ curriculum to expose us to many minority populations before the clinical years and beyond.
It’s also worth noting that our anatomy lab is dissection based where we (first year med students) physically do the dissections of each region, compared to the prosections that UK has. I love the hands on aspect and it helps me learn a lot better.
Overall, every medical school has its pros and cons (did I mention the huge OOS COA, but hey we all go into debt anyways). However, the welcoming culture of Louisville as a whole is what ultimately sold me. I can’t imagine myself being anywhere else and I absolutely love my professors, classmates, the school, and the city as a whole. It’s been a really positive experience. I hope this helps, and congrats again!
Physicianeer7
Full Member
No decision email post interview for the third time
cardioandresearch
New Member
Didn’t get an email, but got a call from the office asking if I had received an email and I’m super confused. Did this happen to anyone else? I tried to call back and email and both got an automatic response that they’re out of the office until Monday. I’m sort of panicking.
cardioandresearch
New Member
Ended up getting an A today! IS applicant interviewed mid-October.Didn’t get an email, but got a call from the office asking if I had received an email and I’m super confused. Did this happen to anyone else? I tried to call back and email and both got an automatic response that they’re out of the office until Monday. I’m sort of panicking.
Can anyone who has had an interview here say a little bit about how it is? Is it a stress interview, is it chill, is there anything I should look out for? Any insight is very much appreciated.
+1Can anyone who has had an interview here say a little bit about how it is? Is it a stress interview, is it chill, is there anything I should look out for? Any insight is very much appreciated.
Edit: I think their class has been filled, but they keep doing interviews through the first week of February for waitlist positions. Typically, 1/3 of waitlisted applicants are ultimately accepted (according to old sdn threads)got the under review email a while ago, can anyone tell me when Louisville stops sending II's? I am really hoping to hear from them but I want to know if I should give up hope
Last edited:
really filled already? what is the class size?Their class has been filled, but they keep doing interviews through the first week of February for waitlist positions. Typically, 1/3 of waitlisted applicants are ultimately accepted.
this thread has been kinda dead.
vaselinecat
Full Member
where did you hear that the class was filled?Their class has been filled, but they keep doing interviews through the first week of February for waitlist positions. Typically, 1/3 of waitlisted applicants are ultimately accepted.
When were you complete? I am OOS and only got one "under review" email early October.got the under review email a while ago, can anyone tell me when Louisville stops sending II's? I am really hoping to hear from them but I want to know if I should give up hope
Welp..... that's disappointing. How'd you get this info?Their class has been filled, but they keep doing interviews through the first week of February for waitlist positions. Typically, 1/3 of waitlisted applicants are ultimately accepted.
I haven't interviewed yet, but I know another student who has and was waitlisted. It was info I heard from them 🤷♀️ seems consistent with previous threads too, where people who interviewed in January were waitlisted / rejected rather than accepted. The 1/3 of people taken off the waitlist info was also from an old UL thread.where did you hear that the class was filled?
This link says ~162 seats, 120 reserved for ISreally filled already? what is the class size?
this thread has been kinda dead.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Physicianeer7
Full Member
wow I hope it isn’t filled…. Interviewed 10/19 and still haven’t had my app reviewed by admissions.
Anyone know how many out of staters get interviews and how many get accepted?
Can anyone who has had an interview here say a little bit about how it is? Is it a stress interview, is it chill, is there anything I should look out for? Any insight is very much appreciated.
Extremely relaxed. They honestly tried to make it as stress free as possible. Just be prepared to justify your answers to questions like any other interview.
Edit: a word
Halloween is out, but Krampus is inMan that e-mail spooked me. Halloween is over Louisville...
Physicianeer7
Full Member
What was the email?Man that e-mail spooked me. Halloween is over Louisville...
That they will be out of the office until January and that I am still under review.What was the email?
Yeah it was particularly weird that they said in my e-mail "guestuser5300 is under review, a decision on YOUR application has yet to be made..."That they will be out of the office until January and that I am still under review.
Umm you know what I mean… 😤Yeah it was particularly weird that they said in my e-mail "guestuser5300 is under review, a decision on YOUR application has yet to be made..."
Does anyone know if they would send out an R after receiving a secondary? Trying to determine if it's worth holding out hope for an II, lol
People say that they don’t send out R’s till the end of the cycle. Also I’ve heard that the class is full and they are interviewing for a waitlist right now.Does anyone know if they would send out an R after receiving a secondary? Trying to determine if it's worth holding out hope for an II, lol
OOS MD/PhD A on 12/16! complete 7/14 II 9/20
future.doc124
New Member
Anyone submitted late July that hasn’t heard?
aspiringdoc1~1
Full Member
The last email I got prior to winter break said they had NOT filled their class yet. I have an interview this month, but I do know that historically a lot of people get pulled from the waitlist (like said before ~1/3 of the class). Can anyone give an idea of what type of questions theyre asking this year? Are they situational, behavioral, or more random things about your application and yourself?
Was the email you got about the school going on winter break and not releasing decisions until after January 2nd? The only reason I ask is that I also received that email and the email only states about my application is still being considered. Nowhere in the email did it state about the class not being filled yet.The last email I got prior to winter break said they had NOT filled their class yet. I have an interview this month, but I do know that historically a lot of people get pulled from the waitlist (like said before ~1/3 of the class). Can anyone give an idea of what type of questions theyre asking this year? Are they situational, behavioral, or more random things about your application and yourself?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
aspiringdoc1~1
Full Member
You know, I went back and re-read it, and I think I had read a different email and just associated it with them 🤣. Guess we shall find out if theyre full or not in a few weeks lol.Was the email you got about the school going on winter break and not releasing decisions until after January 2nd? The only reason I ask is that I also received that email and the email only states about my application is still being considered. Nowhere in the email did it state about the class not being filled yet.
MD_Loading...
Full Member
Is there any groupchat or something for accepted students this cycle? I would love to meet some of the other applicants who have also been accepted to U of L already 🙂
D
deleted1119965
Are there any current students on here that wouldn't mind me messaging them?
Do accepted students have a groupme or facebook group? Would like to join
Current student here, feel free to ask awayAre there any current students on here that wouldn't mind me messaging them?