2021-2022 Pennsylvania State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
has anyone been accepted off the waitlist yet or will we only see movement after the commit deadline
Based on the past PSU threads, they start pulling from the WL once CTE becomes available (May 2 this year)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have any idea when people who interviewed early February will hear back?

Does anyone have any idea when people who interviewed early February will hear back?
I interviewed early Feb and just per others in this thread, 8-week or even a little longer seems to be how it's moving thus far. Also people have suggested it seems like the beginning of a new month coincides with some decisions. I've decided around March 21 I'll allow myself to start freaking out.

Members don't see this ad :)
II earlier this morning but withdrew

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
II today! OOS, was not put on hold. Surprised but super excited! The cycle really isn’t over until it’s over lol.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Just got an II this morning 😭 completely unexpected since it's so late in the cycle and they put me on hold a few days ago!!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Post-II hold just now. Super disappointing. I'm assuming that getting off that list is not very common?
A little late to post this but +1. For those of you still waiting for decisions, I received my post-interview hold 10 weeks after my interview, but that waiting period also included the holidays, so that may have contributed to the length. Best of luck to everyone still waiting:)

Does anyone have any idea when the admission committee will be meeting again? I have been waiting 12+ weeks for a decision and have not heard anything back :/

I'm sorry to hear that, my friend. Just to confirm, post-II hold is the same as WL?
Thank you😊 Hopefully we both hear good news soon with the narrowing from PTE selections. My email says that I’m in the “hold list” and that my app will be considered as the remainder of the applicant pool is evaluated. I’m guessing that this means that they haven’t made a final decision (whether it be a waitlist or rejection) and will just wait until interviews wrap up so that they can see all the other apps first. I’m not sure though, lol. Med school admissions is a guessing game most of the time😩

Does anyone have any idea when the admission committee will be meeting again? I have been waiting 12+ weeks for a decision and have not heard anything back :/
When did you interview? 12+ is really long, I would honestly reach out and see if there's any update.

When did you interview? 12+ is really long, I would honestly reach out and see if there's any update.
I interviewed in December. I did reach out to the admissions office and they just said I need to keep waiting for a decision and they cannot give me a status update.

• Sad
Yeah my email says the same thing! Probably a stupid question, but what is a PTE selection?
PTE is Plan to Enroll, which is part of the Choose Your Med School tool on the AMCAS primary for already accepted applicants to let med schools know where they will most likely be going as of right now. As more data comes in between now and May, Penn State will start pulling applicants off of the waitlist and give them acceptances to fill up the class before July.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah my email says the same thing! Probably a stupid question, but what is a PTE selection?
Building off of the previous post, the plan to enroll (PTE) button became available on February 22. I believe schools can see the number of students who have selected PTE for their school (ex: If a school has 48 seats and their PTE number is 105, they’re probably really hoping that the number declines to 48 at the end of the cycle and might be hesitant to accept tons of interviewees). However, we can hold up to three acceptances right now, so PTE doesn’t mean too much just yet. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I think that on May 2, schools can see individual applicants’ PTE choices (ex: Applicant 1 is planning to enroll here, Applicant 2 isn’t, etc.), and that’s when we have to narrow our selection to just one acceptance and however many waitlists.

Reactions: 2 users
Building off of the previous post, the plan to enroll (PTE) button became available on February 22. I believe schools can see the number of students who have selected PTE for their school (ex: If a school has 48 seats and their PTE number is 105, they’re probably really hoping that the number declines to 48 at the end of the cycle and might be hesitant to accept tons of interviewees). However, we can hold up to three acceptances right now, so PTE doesn’t mean too much just yet. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I think that on May 2, schools can see individual applicants’ PTE choices (ex: Applicant 1 is planning to enroll here, Applicant 2 isn’t, etc.), and that’s when we have to narrow our selection to just one acceptance and however many waitlists.
Great explanation. Very daunting and I wish I could wait until May to decide but unfortunately that's not in the cards for me and my partner :/. I wonder if at that point will schools start looking at people who have yet to hear back at all, hold lists, or waitlists first??

Sorry for the late post as I am new to SDN but accepted 2/25* interviewed 1/17 ! Really grateful as this was a rough cycle. For those waiting, I did send a post II letter of intent which they accepted. I just felt like there was not such strong evidence that they wouldn’t take it esp post interview so I figured I’d give it a shot. Hope this is useful. Best of luck to all you future docs. 💛🩺

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
Sorry for the late post as I am new to SDN but accepted 2/29 interviewed 1/17 ! Really grateful as this was a rough cycle. For those waiting, I did send a post II letter of intent which they accepted. I just felt like there was not such strong evidence that they wouldn’t take it esp post interview so I figured I’d give it a shot. Hope this is useful. Best of luck to all you future docs. 💛🩺
Congrats! It's great that they got back to you in what like 5-6 weeks? Wish they'd get back to the majority of us that soon haha :(

Sorry for the late post as I am new to SDN but accepted 2/25* interviewed 1/17 ! Really grateful as this was a rough cycle. For those waiting, I did send a post II letter of intent which they accepted. I just felt like there was not such strong evidence that they wouldn’t take it esp post interview so I figured I’d give it a shot. Hope this is useful. Best of luck to all you future docs. 💛🩺
I’m confused, from everything I’ve read and heard of PSU they don’t accept/like letters of interest/intent. I interviewed with them around this time last month but held off on writing a LOI because of this even though they’re my #1. However, given your results, would you recommend submitting one? And if so, did you just email it since there’s no distinct part in the portal for one?

I’m confused, from everything I’ve read and heard of PSU they don’t accept/like letters of interest/intent. I interviewed with them around this time last month but held off on writing a LOI because of this even though they’re my #1. However, given your results, would you recommend submitting one? And if so, did you just email it since there’s no distinct part in the portal for one?
Yeah I emailed adcom. I also was debating a lot and I knew it would be a shot in the dark. I can only speak for myself, but I didn’t find anything from PSU itself stating no post interview letters of intent, only from student forums. So I felt like, I’m not breaking any established “rules” so worst case they’ll just be like no thanks. I didn’t include updates in mine to play it safe ig but again idrk if you can or not.

They responded with a generic short email to the effect of “Thank you for your interest, we will let you know when a decision has been made” and when my friend did it, they got the same response. Nothing exciting and no evidence that it was factored into the decision but definitely not a rejection of the letter or any offense taken.

As for recommending it to others, I’d say if you’re post interview you could send it, just be comfortable with the fact that it might not matter much.

(Also, I don’t know about any rules or instructions they gave to those on the waitlist so I won’t speak to that situation!)

Hope this helps. Good luck! 👍

Has anyone who interviewed at the end of January heard back yet?
nope, still waiting. Interviewed January 26th. At the minimum I'm thinking we might start hearing back this week. But given that some students are waiting 10+ weeks, it might be until April :/

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if we should expect to hear back before April 30th? Say if you interviewed in March.

Does anyone know if we should expect to hear back before April 30th? Say if you interviewed in March.
nobody really knows at this point. maybe it'll pick up now but I know they're still interviewing people. given the 8-10+ week timeline you might have to wait past April 30th.

This is our University Park class of 2022 match list! 100% match :giggle:

If anyone has questions about the regional UP campus lmk! We are a track of the Hershey campus, not fully separate so we are under the same accreditation and are all in one big class for main events like white coat and graduation. 4th year most UP students do at least some electives and AIs at Hershey as well.

Attachments

• PSUCOM UP 2022 match list.jpg
    PSUCOM UP 2022 match list.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 296
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users

If anyone has questions about the regional UP campus lmk! We are a track of the Hershey campus, not fully separate so we are under the same accreditation and are all in one big class for main events like white coat and graduation. 4th year most UP students do at least some electives and AIs at Hershey as well.
Wow! That is crazy crazy impressive!!! :eek:

Sorry if this has been asked already, but has anyone been able to pay their deposit? Whenever I click on the deposit link I get taken back to the sign in page.

Hey! I tried to PM you and it wouldn't let me!

8 weeks since January 26th interview today. Hopefully we hear back in a couple weeks *crosses fingers*

Reactions: 3 users
I'm sorry if this has already been asked, does Penn State let us know our position on the WL if we call?
Has anyone heard of an official waitlist? Or is the hold list people who are on the waitlist and people they have are most probably going to reject? (Given that there is never a mention of a post-ii R)

• Hmm
Still can't believe it's virtual. I think they might be one of the only schools doing a virtual second look day ):
It makes absolutely no sense at all to me. How am I supposed to agree to committing the next four years of my life to a place if I've never set foot in it?

It makes absolutely no sense at all to me. How am I supposed to agree to committing the next four years of my life to a place if I've never set foot in it?
I know! Also, did you receive a link or further details for the second look day? The only confirmation I received that this is happening was from GroupMe.

Still can't believe it's virtual. I think they might be one of the only schools doing a virtual second look day ):
Pittsburgh is as well. I'm not really sure why, but interesting for two PA schools

• Sad
I think a lot of other schools are doing virtual second look days as well. Some schools even have virtual white coat ceremonies planned already... 😕

• Sad
Great explanation. Very daunting and I wish I could wait until May to decide but unfortunately that's not in the cards for me and my partner :/. I wonder if at that point will schools start looking at people who have yet to hear back at all, hold lists, or waitlists first??
I’m not sure😕 However, when I logged in to the CYMS tool to check on other schools, I found out that I’m on the alternate list for Penn State. I didn’t realize that committee hold meant the alternate list, but hopefully that means we’ll hear updates in the coming weeks:)

Another stupid question from me... what is the difference between a waitlist and an alternate list?
To be completely honest, I have no idea, but my gut feeling tells me that they are more or less the same thing, just different terminology. What confused me is that my email said I was on committee hold, which I thought was neither an A/WL/R, but I guess it’s more of a waitlist after all?

Is penn state still interviewing, hold back in jan

Did anyone hear back recently? Seems like the FB page went up quite a bit.