-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 University of Pittsburgh Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Thank you for the quick reply! Also does anyone know what happens if I add schools to my AMCAS after verification? Does it need to get re-verified or will it just send my app straight to the schools I added?
Also does anyone know what happens if I add schools to my AMCAS after verification? Does it need to get re-verified or will it just send my app straight to the schools I added?
I think it just sends the app straight to the schools that you add.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sounds good. Thank you!I think it just sends the app straight to the schools that you add.
Ahhhh!!! Just got home from work to an II! I wasn't sure I'd get one from Pitt. So happy
Complete 7/13 OOS
Complete 7/13 OOS
Sounds good. Thank you!
You're welcome. Best of luck!
Had a dream last night about Pitts, and it was a really good one. Now I need some good message from the program!😉
Good luck!!! I actually had a dream a couple weeks about getting into Pitt before getting my II
Good luck!!! I actually had a dream a couple weeks about getting into Pitt before getting my III guess if med school doesn't work out...I'll set up shop and make money off my prophetic dreams
You too! Good luck! I am sure you can still set up the shop after getting into med school. Make sure you get the patent done first and develop an app for that🙂
Any tips for interview day? Also, how's MS1 so far?Good to see the II ball is rolling. Excited to see you interviewers at Pitt soon haha.
First II!!
OOS complete 8/3
OOS complete 8/3
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any tips for interview day? Also, how's MS1 so far?
Be yourself; make small talk; know your application; answer the question that is asked and don't ramble. Overall the interview day at Pitt is exceedingly low-stress.
And M1 is pretty great, it just started though so we shall see how I feel in the coming weeks. I like my class though!
Thank you very much!Be yourself; make small talk; know your application; answer the question that is asked and don't ramble. Overall the interview day at Pitt is exceedingly low-stress.
And M1 is pretty great, it just started though so we shall see how I feel in the coming weeks. I like my class though!
Congratulations!Woke up to an MSTP II. Complete 8/3, LizzyM 75.
The interview is in less than 3 weeks![]()
II! Complete 7/15 OOS. So excited 🙂
II here as well, complete 7/15! Can't wait!
Complete 7/22, looking forward to some movement maybe next week??
Rooting for y'all! It seems they re-review applications - either that or they actually take a month for some applications. I got my II a month after I was complete, and it seems to be the case for the most recent IIs too.Complete 7/22, looking forward to some movement maybe next week??
I know I'm a little behind the times and haven't submitted my secondary yet, but I had a question about their course requirements section. For both English and Bio, I have completed way more classes than strictly required, but I struggled my first few years of college so the grades are a bit rough for freshman/sophomore courses. Since they are going to see my full transcripts anyways, can I just list my later courses with higher grades that fulfill the requirements so it looks better? Or does it have to be chronological?
Ex: Gen bio courses (freshman) = B/B+, but later genetics, biochem, microbiology courses = A's. I'm assuming they want to see gen bio, so can I just list all of them to compensate for my low freshman grades and not look totally incompetent?
Ex: English freshman year = 4 B+ classes, but sophomore and junior years = 3 A-'s, 1A. Can I just list the sophomore and junior classes? They're all part of the same honors program.
Ex: Gen bio courses (freshman) = B/B+, but later genetics, biochem, microbiology courses = A's. I'm assuming they want to see gen bio, so can I just list all of them to compensate for my low freshman grades and not look totally incompetent?
Ex: English freshman year = 4 B+ classes, but sophomore and junior years = 3 A-'s, 1A. Can I just list the sophomore and junior classes? They're all part of the same honors program.
In the FAQ section the wording makes it seem like they're not strict on whether you list Gen Bio or not (it just says Biology, one year ((with one full academic year of lab or a single two credit lab)), so I guess it's up to you? FWIW I'm in the same boat (did okay - mostly Bs in my freshman and sophomore courses, but As in all the upper-divs), listed these instead of the advanced classes, and got an II.I know I'm a little behind the times and haven't submitted my secondary yet, but I had a question about their course requirements section. For both English and Bio, I have completed way more classes than strictly required, but I struggled my first few years of college so the grades are a bit rough for freshman/sophomore courses. Since they are going to see my full transcripts anyways, can I just list my later courses with higher grades that fulfill the requirements so it looks better? Or does it have to be chronological?
Ex: Gen bio courses (freshman) = B/B+, but later genetics, biochem, microbiology courses = A's. I'm assuming they want to see gen bio, so can I just list all of them to compensate for my low freshman grades and not look totally incompetent?
Ex: English freshman year = 4 B+ classes, but sophomore and junior years = 3 A-'s, 1A. Can I just list the sophomore and junior classes? They're all part of the same honors program.
I know I'm a little behind the times and haven't submitted my secondary yet, but I had a question about their course requirements section. For both English and Bio, I have completed way more classes than strictly required, but I struggled my first few years of college so the grades are a bit rough for freshman/sophomore courses. Since they are going to see my full transcripts anyways, can I just list my later courses with higher grades that fulfill the requirements so it looks better? Or does it have to be chronological?
Ex: Gen bio courses (freshman) = B/B+, but later genetics, biochem, microbiology courses = A's. I'm assuming they want to see gen bio, so can I just list all of them to compensate for my low freshman grades and not look totally incompetent?
Ex: English freshman year = 4 B+ classes, but sophomore and junior years = 3 A-'s, 1A. Can I just list the sophomore and junior classes? They're all part of the same honors program.
I listed the most recent courses.
Congratulations on the II!In the FAQ section the wording makes it seem like they're not strict on whether you list Gen Bio or not (it just says Biology, one year ((with one full academic year of lab or a single two credit lab)), so I guess it's up to you? FWIW I'm in the same boat (did okay - mostly Bs in my freshman and sophomore courses, but As in all the upper-divs), listed these instead of the advanced classes, and got an II.
I think I'll just list the intro bio courses as well as the upper level ones I did better in for the bio requirements, and only my sophomore/junior English courses that I did better in (because they were all the same program, not intro writing followed by advanced classes). It probably doesn't matter that much.
Thanks, and good luck to you!Congratulations on the II!
I think I'll just list the intro bio courses as well as the upper level ones I did better in for the bio requirements, and only my sophomore/junior English courses that I did better in (because they were all the same program, not intro writing followed by advanced classes). It probably doesn't matter that much.
Based on the instructions for that section, it seems that it's there to make sure that you have all of their course requirements and they don't have to sift through your AMCAS to verify that you have everything that they require. I see it as more of a checklist rather than a section they evaluate your application completely on.
Pitt was INSANELY fast to fill their class last year, so I hope I'm not too late in submitting my secondary today 😉. School is a bit of a reach but seems awesome.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone who has received an II been from OOS?
Received my invite yesterday, OOS from California (UCLA)
Received my II yesterday, got 29 on old MCAT and 514 on new one so roughly 33/34Has anyone under a 36 MCAT recieved an II yet?
Received my II yesterday, got 29 on old MCAT and 514 on new one so roughly 33/34
Ohh that's the same as me for both scores except I got a 33 on the old mcat~ Got II for MSTP though lol I might have the lowest mcat score(s) of anyone with an II for MSTP 😱
When were you complete?Received my II yesterday, got 29 on old MCAT and 514 on new one so roughly 33/34
Received secondary on 7/7, completed 7/15, II 8/18When were you complete?
Oh awesome thanks, good luck on the interview!Received secondary on 7/7, completed 7/15, II 8/18
yo i know an MSTP student who got a 28 and at pitt. your research is more importantOhh that's the same as me for both scores except I got a 33 on the old mcat~ Got II for MSTP though lol I might have the lowest mcat score(s) of anyone with an II for MSTP 😱
yo i know an MSTP student who got a 28 and at pitt. your research is more important
Ahaha well good! Got plenty of research under ma belt [emoji41]
We are stat twins, complete same time, they should not separate us, I need an II too!!II!!! Complete 7/17, LizzyM ~73, OOS
Ahaha well good! Got plenty of research under ma belt [emoji41]
So jelly of you pineapple! I went 31->37 and I thought this would scare them! I have hope! Your research must be pretty fantastic (along with the rest of your app!) Now make them give me a II. 🙂
So jelly of you pineapple! I went 31->37 and I thought this would scare them! I have hope! Your research must be pretty fantastic (along with the rest of your app!) Now make them give me a II. 🙂
Wowww 31 --> 37 is a fantastic improvement! O___O I'm sure they will be more impressed than scared hahaha and best of luck!! 🙂 Hoping to hear you get good news soon~~
Wowww 31 --> 37 is a fantastic improvement! O___O I'm sure they will be more impressed than scared hahaha and best of luck!! 🙂 Hoping to hear you get good news soon~~
Thanks! And congrats again! I'm a huge Starzl fanboy--aka I'm super hoping I get a chance at Pitt! Gahhhhhh!!! Patience...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats! My stats aren't far from yours, what kind of ECs do you have??Got my first IIComplete 8/10, 3.7/36
Can someone confirm that Pitt does NOT have rolling admissions? It looks like everyone receives their decision on January 30? I'm trying to decide if I need to interview ASAP or if I can pick a date near Thanksgiving where I would miss less work (since I live abroad, flying stateside takes a week). I wouldn't wait if it would hurt my chances as I am super excited about Pitt, but maybe they don't care so much which date I choose? I would really appreciate any info people have.
Can someone confirm that Pitt does NOT have rolling admissions? It looks like everyone receives their decision on January 30? I'm trying to decide if I need to interview ASAP or if I can pick a date near Thanksgiving where I would miss less work (since I live abroad, flying stateside takes a week). I wouldn't wait if it would hurt my chances as I am super excited about Pitt, but maybe they don't care so much which date I choose? I would really appreciate any info people have.
If I remember correctly, the consensus is that interviewing around Thanksgiving is not a huge disadvantage, but is getting to the end of regular interviews. They end interviews in mid-December. Ideally you would interview earlier, imo.
I see how that's true at most schools because they're rolling, but my questions is whether or not Pitt is rolling at all (from what I can tell, they aren't). If they aren't rolling, then any date before Christmas should be equally "ideal," right?If I remember correctly, the consensus is that interviewing around Thanksgiving is not a huge disadvantage, but is getting to the end of regular interviews. They end interviews in mid-December. Ideally you would interview earlier, imo.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K