2015-2016 University of Texas - Houston Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ACCEPTED at 8:40 this AM via email! Waaahhhhh so excited!!!!
I JUST CHECKED MY EMAIL AND I ALSO GOT ACCEPTED TODAY AT 8:40 AM! I interviewed 10/2, so anyone else hoping for pre-matches, don't give up just yet!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
did anyone who interviewed in December get a prematch? (today or recently)?

Interviewed 10/2 as well but a bit of an underdog- 3.2 GPA, 22 MCAT, URM.
Anybody else from 10/2 not hear anything yet and getting a little concerned?

Members don't see this ad :)
^May I ask how you were able to interview here with your stats? I'm just curious, given their averages.

What are their averages, like MCAT 27-28?

This guy is a troll. Even the URM status doesn't give applicants this much of a boost, and to be accepted at Emory? It's just not possible

Reactions: 2 users
This guy is a troll. Even the URM status doesn't give applicants this much of a boost, and to be accepted at Emory? It's just not possible

Emory has a pre screen of a 27 MCAT.

Reactions: 4 users

Wouldn't it be cool if this person was actually Kendrick Lamar? It would make sense right? I bet Kendrick llama can get into Harvard with a 22...

But seriously, I agree. somethings off here.

Reactions: 1 user
OOS applicant. Interviewed in mid-October. Haven't heard anything back yet. Anyone else in this position or have any thoughts on this?

OOS applicant. Interviewed in mid-October. Haven't heard anything back yet. Anyone else in this position or have any thoughts on this?

I'm also OOS and I haven't heard a peep from them, but I interviewed a little earlier than you. From previous years' threads it seems that the OOS acceptances are given out sporadically through Oct-May. At some point (not sure if it happened yet) they will have given out their max number of OOS seats and then we'll have to wait on an OOS applicant to withdraw before a new acceptance is sent out. It's not over until it's over! :luck:

What do you think the chances of matching here are if I interviewed 10/23? This is my top choice and I am pre-matched to UTHSCSA and TAMHSC

What do you think the chances of matching here are if I interviewed 10/23? This is my top choice and I am pre-matched to UTHSCSA and TAMHSC
Seeing that UTH uses the match to fill up most of the class, I would say your chances are at least higher then they were during the pre-match period.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I pre-matched UT-houston on 11/15/15, and I am trying to use my early acceptance to help me get on the waiting list for UT student housing. Does anyone know when the applications open for it/how to go about applying?

Hey guys, I pre-matched UT-houston on 11/15/15, and I am trying to use my early acceptance to help me get on the waiting list for UT student housing. Does anyone know when the applications open for it/how to go about applying?

Not sure what the exact process is, but if you google uth housing, one of the first links is to the University Housing. There are applications available under the future residents after you choose a housing type.

I'm also OOS and I haven't heard a peep from them, but I interviewed a little earlier than you. From previous years' threads it seems that the OOS acceptances are given out sporadically through Oct-May. At some point (not sure if it happened yet) they will have given out their max number of OOS seats and then we'll have to wait on an OOS applicant to withdraw before a new acceptance is sent out. It's not over until it's over! :luck:

Do you know if rejections are silent or if people are notified?

Do you know if rejections are silent or if people are notified?

Reapplicant here who interviewed at UT-H last year as well, they are not silent and they rarely reject people. A few days after match results are announced you'll get an email saying you're on the waiting list. Hope this time it works out, its my 1st choice

I actually called the university housing to figure out these things since the website explains next to nothing. I was told the waitlist opens on Jan. 16 and the form for the waitlist will open up online to fill out and submit. I'm not sure about payments though for the deposit..I might call again. I'm not living in Houston right now so I hope I can submit the payment for the deposit online? I'll let you know when I call again. Idk why they can't have this info on their website...or maybe I can't find it?

I actually called the university housing to figure out these things since the website explains next to nothing. I was told the waitlist opens on Jan. 16 and the form for the waitlist will open up online to fill out and submit. I'm not sure about payments though for the deposit..I might call again. I'm not living in Houston right now so I hope I can submit the payment for the deposit online? I'll let you know when I call again. Idk why they can't have this info on their website...or maybe I can't find it?

Yeah that sounds about right to me. The whole process is not explained very well. It looks as if the forms are already online for applying, but I'm not sure how to submit them or pay the deposit. I will probably call as it gets closer to the 16th to figure out everything for sure.

You can submit the deposit online. There should be a link on the houston website closer to the date, but I would call and make sure. Also, note that it is notoriously difficult to get housing at UT Houston especially as an incoming student. I don't know a single person who got it as an incoming student, even all those who pre-matched. Just a word of caution to not get your hopes up.

is it worth it to send a letter of interest here?
If you are going to send one, I suggest you do it fast. The interview season for all of the Texas medical schools (except Baylor) are wrapping up pretty soon in preparation for match day preference rank on the 21st.

II just now also submitted super early like july. Only date left is 8th.

Last edited:
Got an II from here just now. I just withdrew my application, so hopefully one of you gets it.

long shot but does anyone know when the admissions committee meets I'm trying to figure out what day to send my last update

Hi everyone,
Houston is one of my top schools and I've been trying to make a list of pro's and con's. Does anyone know how UTH will be grading on the new curriculum (p/f, letters, high pass, p, marginal p, f, etc) and whether the scores are curved? Also if you have any pro's or con's to post about Houston that you've come across I would appreciate it!

Hi everyone,
Houston is one of my top schools and I've been trying to make a list of pro's and con's. Does anyone know how UTH will be grading on the new curriculum (p/f, letters, high pass, p, marginal p, f, etc) and whether the scores are curved? Also if you have any pro's or con's to post about Houston that you've come across I would appreciate it!

I think they sticking with honors,high pass, pass, fail. Not 100% sure.

Con is that its crazy crazy traffic and congestion and if you have a car its a hassle to find places to park. Thats the only con i can think of honestly.

Hi everyone,

Pro: They are located in the medical center, which means that you have access to some great hospitals whether or not they are affiliated with the med school.

Good luck to everybody waiting to hear about acceptances!
Just a little encouragement ...If you interview this late in the cycle it's very possible for you to get in! When I was going through it I submitted oct, matched to #2, accepted in march. Try to relax and enjoy the rest of your free time before med school takes it away!

Good luck all!

Good luck to everybody waiting to hear about acceptances!
Just a little encouragement ...If you interview this late in the cycle it's very possible for you to get in! When I was going through it I submitted oct, matched to #2, accepted in march. Try to relax and enjoy the rest of your free time before med school takes it away!

Good luck all!

YellowTurtle, would you mind sharing your stats? And since you said you matched to your #2, I'm assuming UTH was #1 and you got off the waitlist in March? If so, that's a fantastic turnaround time!

To those who have been accepted, they finally updated the entering student checklist with dates for 2016 :)

Aside from University Housing, where else do students live? I feel like it might be difficult for an incoming student to get a place at the university housing so I was wanting to know about other nearby places.

Aside from University Housing, where else do students live? I feel like it might be difficult for an incoming student to get a place at the university housing so I was wanting to know about other nearby places.

There's a facebook page up for students accepted and they've got a list of places and some information on what the process is for applying for university housing

There's a facebook page up for students accepted and they've got a list of places and some information on what the process is for applying for university housing

Do you mind posting the link to the Facebook page? Thanks!

upload_2016-2-1_9-5-36.png

Well I prematched and ranked it #1 so wasn't too much of a surprise!!! But still excited to see it finalized!!! :)

Reactions: 5 users
ACCEPTED!!!!! OMG! Hope to see all of you wonderful people this coming year!

Matched!!! Congrats to everyone, can't wait to meet you!

So excited! Husband matched at UT Houston this morning! He was a non trad applicant and I have been lurking these forums trying to ease my anxiety as we change our lives around the possibility of med school. Congrats to everyone accepted this morning. Houston was definitely our first choice. Now he needs to sign up for FB so he can join the FB group :)

Reactions: 5 users
Matched this AM
congrats to everyone else who matched!
Had to rock this bad boy at work today.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1454342284.260655.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Is there a time as to when we could hear back? Or are Match Day results just all posted simultaneously?
I'm pretty sure they are all posted at the same time on TMDSAS (since it's a separate process from the school). However, you will hear within the next few weeks about waitlist information from the school itself if I'm not mistaken.

Matched!! ranked UTH #2 and UTSW #1 so its not final but definitely pumped to match such an awesome school!!

HI FUTURE CLASSMATES!! I matched this morning and have pretty much been crying tears of happiness for the last almost 3 hours sooo excited to meet everyone! QUICK QUESTION ~~ is anyone else having trouble logging into their portal to accept the acceptance?

Reactions: 3 users
HI FUTURE CLASSMATES!! I matched this morning and have pretty much been crying tears of happiness for the last almost 3 hours sooo excited to meet everyone! QUICK QUESTION ~~ is anyone else having trouble logging into their portal to accept the acceptance?
I just logged in and accepted it a few minutes ago without any problems. Not sure why you are having problems, hopefully it clears up soon.

Congrats :)

I just logged in and accepted it a few minutes ago without any problems. Not sure why you are having problems, hopefully it clears up soon.

Is it the same portal we used for our interview, like with our TMDSAS ID being the user name?