2015-2016 University of Texas - Houston Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! IS - Interviewed 10/24

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted IS!!!! Interview on Nov 6th

Reactions: 1 users
So discouraged because didn't get a prematch do you think the next wave of prematches is only for people who haven't interviewed yet?

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted!!! IS, interviewed 10/9. Congrats to everyone accepted and best of luck to those of you still waiting -- whether it's here or another school, you will find a place where you belong, and you are wonderful people no matter what!

Reactions: 1 user
Are all prematch offers given today? Or is it rolling? I'm still confused as to how this works haha.
Ya, discouraged I didn't get a pre match here :/ but I was looking at last year's thread and it looks like they send them all out today (6 AM and 8 AM emails) and then we just wait till February for the match :(

Accepted!! IS - interviewed 10/23.
To those who are discouraged that they didn't hear back today: UTH specifically says they give very few pre-match offers. They take a lot of students from match and off the waitlist. Don't give up on Houston just yet!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone clarify how you "accept" a pre-match without committing to a school? The wording of the email and offer page implies that it would be binding.

I don't have an interview here, but does anyone know how to update your application?

Can anyone clarify how you "accept" a pre-match without committing to a school? The wording of the email and offer page implies that it would be binding.

I don't believe there is a differentiation prior to the Match.
According to TMDSAS: "Applicants may accept offers from more than one medical school during the pre-match offer period without the risk of an offer being withdrawn by a medical school during the pre-match offer period."

II Nov 20th, application transmitted 9/25
How was the interview experience here?

Hi all,
I received an II today for Nov 20. I was complete on July 1st.

Wow, when I selected for an interview day a couple weeks ago, 11/20 wasn't open.

II Nov 20th, application transmitted 9/25
How was the interview experience here?

I found it enjoyable and low stress.

See if you can spot the giraffes in the Houston Zoo from the helicopter pad...

Reactions: 3 users
Does UT Houston give out scholarships to IS residents? Deciding between UTSW and UTH and that would definitely tip the scale. Just curious. Anyone know?

Did you interview there? There's a page in your folder about aid/scholarships if so.

No stress at all. Super conversational.

One rather stressful, one completely laid back. I'm apparently waitlisted (OOS) :(, but I expected it after the stressful interview.

I don't think either interviewer had GPA/MCAT but did have access to activities and PS.

One rather stressful, one completely laid back. I'm apparently waitlisted (OOS) :(, but I expected it after the stressful interview.

I don't think either interviewer had GPA/MCAT but did have access to activities and PS.
Did you get an email saying you got waitlisted? Or did you just not pre-match yet and you're assuming you're waitlisted? I ask because I haven't heard anything.

Did you get an email saying you got waitlisted? Or did you just not pre-match yet and you're assuming you're waitlisted? I ask because I haven't heard anything.

I'm OOS so I am not part of the pre-match and match. From looking at previous years' threads, OOS applicants are either accepted shortly after their interview or hear nothing until sometime in spring, when they are either put on the waitlist or rejected. I interviewed early and have heard nothing, so it seems I have been waitlisted. Or maybe rejected, but I don't want to entertain that possibility just yet! Trying to keep the hope alive! :D

For anyone interested: UTH just got a $75 million donation to the school and we will be renamed the McGovern Medical School

Reactions: 6 users
I'm OOS so I am not part of the pre-match and match. From looking at previous years' threads, OOS applicants are either accepted shortly after their interview or hear nothing until sometime in spring, when they are either put on the waitlist or rejected. I interviewed early and have heard nothing, so it seems I have been waitlisted. Or maybe rejected, but I don't want to entertain that possibility just yet! Trying to keep the hope alive! :D
Yeah I'm OOS too. Oh well Texas was a long shot for us anyway.

wow! that's crazy! Hopefully they will give out some good scholarships :)

wow! that's crazy! Hopefully they will give out some good scholarships :)

That's the plan! I think from now on there will be one or more full tuition scholarships given per year to "McGovern Scholars" in incoming classes

This is a subjective q but...... Is it a large group of students per interview day?

Utmb seemed pretty large and A&M seemed smaller?
My interview day was relatively large. 50-60 applicants probably. More similar to UTMB than A&M.

Does anyone know of a FB group for accepted students yet? I know its early but some other schools already have one going!

For those of you that were accepted, what type of questions did you ask during your interview? I think I may be ruining my chances. Thank you for your help!

For those of you that were accepted, what type of questions did you ask during your interview? I think I may be ruining my chances. Thank you for your help!

Pretty typical stuff. My interviewers were really laid back, so as long as you can be a normal human being and just chit chat I think you will be fine.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when we can submit the scholarship application?

Any idea when second look is? Thanks!

Any idea when second look is? Thanks!
Well last year it was March 20-21, 2015 so it may be March 19-20 this year. Just speculation though - I would love to know as well!
The entering student checklist won't be updated until after match apparently :(

Well last year it was March 20-21, 2015 so it may be March 19-20 this year. Just speculation though - I would love to know as well!
The entering student checklist won't be updated until after match apparently :(

I thought we can't hold more than one spot in Texas schools after February? Does anyone know the exact day?

January 21st you lose all except your first choice for accepted ones. If you are waiting on decisions, I believe you can rank those unannounced ahead of the admit to keep them open. So if you did not hear from Southwestern but heard from UTH for example, you can rank Southwestern 1 and UTH 2 and that way you get to keep your waitlist.

January 21st you lose all except your first choice for accepted ones. If you are waiting on decisions, I believe you can rank those unannounced ahead of the admit to keep them open. So if you did not hear from Southwestern but heard from UTH for example, you can rank Southwestern 1 and UTH 2 and that way you get to keep your waitlist.
What even for OOS people? I have no way to rank the schools...

it is on TMDSAS. Is it turned off somehow for OOS?