2015-2016 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is the portal only updated once a day?

That is what they told me on the phone last week. Today they will likely be processing withdrawals from over the weekend and making (hopefully) a lot of calls. We will know tomorrow how much things really moved.

Members don't see this ad.

If they only update the portal once a day, certainly seems like they chose an early time on the functional deadline day to report the results of the weekend movement. Yeesh.

Only 3 up for Washington and 1 for Idaho. I have to imagine there's going to be more than that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 users
OOR alternate list is moving friends, got the call today! So excited! See you all in the fall!

Reactions: 2 users
Washington is only showing 21 so far. Holding onto hope that there will be more movement on the lists in the coming days!

For the SOM scholarship application, are there essays/questions to answer or is it just demographic and financial information that's required?

How long did it take u guys to get the info needed to set up your UW ID, etc?

Fellow OOR wait listers, what are y'all thinking? Any more movement the next few weeks or is it time to pack it up?

Historically, it looks like when it plateaus for a number of days, only a few more seats trickle in before August. Still holding out hope for us though!

Fellow OOR wait listers, what are y'all thinking? Any more movement the next few weeks or is it time to pack it up?

Historically, it looks like when it plateaus for a number of days, only a few more seats trickle in before August. Still holding out hope for us though!

What # are you? Pretty sure OOR and WA are on the same waitlist (so they're no difference in chances if you're OOR or a WA resident).

Honestly, you never know. The process of pulling applicants off the wait-list has only just begun (we need to give these applicants proper time to respond and give UW their final decision), so it seems premature to call it quits this early. Hang in there. Make alternative plans just in case, and hopefully you will get good news within the coming weeks!

Members don't see this ad :)
What # are you? Pretty sure OOR and WA are on the same waitlist (so they're no difference in chances if you're OOR or a WA resident).

Honestly, you never know. The process of pulling applicants off the wait-list has only just begun (we need to give these applicants proper time to respond and give UW their final decision), so it seems premature to call it quits this early. Hang in there. Make alternative plans just in case, and hopefully you will get good news within the coming weeks!

#32, so I'll be interested to see how things play out for all of us given the sporadic numbers for the past few cycles.

I really appreciate the support! Congrats to you and all those already accepted!

#32, so I'll be interested to see how things play out for all of us given the sporadic numbers for the past few cycles.

Could you PM me? I can't seem to message you, says I'm not allowed to?

To current students: what type of computer/tablet/hybrid did you guys find to be the best bet for medical school? Thanks!

To current students: what type of computer/tablet/hybrid did you guys find to be the best bet for medical school? Thanks!
Surface. Bonus about it is that it fits perfectly on a treadmill and you don't need to do anything special with formatting.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Surface. Bonus about it is that it fits perfectly on a treadmill and you don't need to do anything special with formatting.

Thanks BABSstudent! Also, how do you recommend us to look for housing? Craigslist and grad housing seem to be way above the COA budget. Any tips?

Thanks BABSstudent! Also, how do you recommend us to look for housing? Craigslist and grad housing seem to be way above the COA budget. Any tips?
Craigslist is the way to go.

Basically, shoot for as low as you can go. Get roommates and try to move in as close to the start date as possible. Having a spouse that works also helps.

I know orientation begin on August 22nd. Does anyone know when classes start?

So apparently there was some more movement! I was resigned to the idea of re-applying, but I got a call from my EXCOM member today at lunch. Was number 27. Hope there are more acceptances coming for those behind me.

Reactions: 6 users
What's going on here? Is there a traffic day coming up or something??

Traffic day already came and went. I'm guessing this is domino effect movement. Either people getting accepted during the traffic day movement that later withdrew, opening up more slots, or people they pulled from the waitlist that had already committed to another school. I'm Idaho 11 and I'm exhausted and terrified.

Just to clarify, we receive a white coat at the end of orientation but there's no white coat ceremony, right? Thanks!

Just to clarify, we receive a white coat at the end of orientation but there's no white coat ceremony, right? Thanks!

When I asked via email a few weeks ago, I received this summary in reply:

When you say “white coat ceremony”, I assume you mean the ceremony in which you receive your white coat at the beginning of first year. We’re calling that “Immersion Graduation”. There’s another ceremony called the “Clinical Transition Ceremony” after Foundations Phase in which students receive a second white coat (thus our reason for not calling either of them the white coat ceremony).

Assuming you’re talking about the one at the very beginning of med school, here are the details:
Date: Friday, September 2, 2016
Time: 1:00-3:00 PM

Once we have a list-serve with all confirmed incoming students (in July), I will be sending this information to the Seattle students. But if you want to spread the word to fellow E-2016 students, feel free to. And the details I listed above are just for Seattle. Other sites have different dates.

Last edited:
When I asked a few weeks ago, I received this summary:

When you say “white coat ceremony”, I assume you mean the ceremony in which you receive your white coat at the beginning of first year. We’re calling that “Immersion Graduation”. There’s another ceremony called the “Clinical Transition Ceremony” after Foundations Phase in which students receive a second white coat (thus our reason for not calling either of them the white coat ceremony).

Assuming you’re talking about the one at the very beginning of med school, here are the details:
Date: Friday, September 2, 2016
Time: 1:00-3:00 PM

Once we have a list-serve with all confirmed incoming students (in July), I will be sending this information to the Seattle students. But if you want to spread the word to fellow E-2016 students, feel free to. And the details I listed above are just for Seattle. Other sites have different dates.

I'm not sure which one will be the important one for you guys, but the clinical transition ceremony was way more important for our class. So if your family can only attend one, I would pick that one.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What's the difference between the two white coats?

Honestly, I have no idea. We only got one white coat during the start of third year. We liked it more this way because it meant something because you had finished two of the hardest years of schooling in your life. My friends at other medical schools that got their white coats early said it didn't mean much to them since they had imposter syndrome once they had it. The way we received them, nobody had imposter syndrome.

The school decided to give out white coats now during first year starting with last year's class because they added more required clinical experience during first year than what my class was required to do. We had a requirement of 40 hours of clinical experience during first year. This new curriculum has more.

I'm not sure which one will be the important one for you guys, but the clinical transition ceremony was way more important for our class. So if your family can only attend one, I would pick that one.

Is it customary for family to go to Immersion Graduation or is it normally just staff/faculty and students that attend?

Is it customary for family to go to Immersion Graduation or is it normally just staff/faculty and students that attend?

Again, I don't know. We didn't have that. We had a stethoscope ceremony, which families did attend but some people didn't have family come. It was a very quick ceremony, under an hour, and then we were free to be with family or go out to celebrate. Looking back, it meant a lot to some families because it signified the start of medical school. But for many students they saw it as a waste of time because you haven't really accomplished anything yet.

The order of importance for my class goes like this:

Graduation>>>>>>>>>>>>>>clinical transition>>>stethoscope ceremony.

Can any current students comment on the dress code for clinic days? I'm mostly wondering if professional skirts/dresses/cropped pants are commonly worn, or if I should stick to long pants+closed toed shoes. Thanks!
Bumping this - I need a wardrobe update.

Bumping this - I need a wardrobe update.

Guys: slacks, shirt, tie, nice shoes, socks, belt. Maybe a watch too. In winter, maybe a sweater. Vests are fine too.

Girls: whatever the heck they want. Just look profession. Dress conservatively. No short skirts. Don't show cleavage.

Basically, whatever your family practice doctor wears when you have a appointment. Just try to match that. Feel free to make it more modern so you feel comfortable. You just don't want to stand out.

In Seattle, ties are more common. Almost everyone wears one. In all other WWAMI sites you may be able to skip the tie, but wear one the first day and adjust accordingly to what your preceptor wears.

Edit: read this: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/12/the-clothes-make-the-doctor/382866/

Last edited:
Does anyone know where the information about computer standards are for UW? I know the guidelines are pretty loose, but I'm planning on getting a new computer soon, and I don't want to screw it up!

Does anyone know where the information about computer standards are for UW? I know the guidelines are pretty loose, but I'm planning on getting a new computer soon, and I don't want to screw it up!

They don't care or ever check your computer. Basically, can it load flash, have PowerPoint/pdf, access the web? If so, it's fine.

Personally, I like the surface and it works really well for medical school. I highly recommend it.

Do any current Med students here drive uber/lift?

I actually had one earlier this year-- 3rd or 4th year drove me and some pals home via Lyft. I was asking him how feasible it was during the academic year and he said it worked for him just fine. Hope this helps!

I actually had one earlier this year-- 3rd or 4th year drove me and some pals home via Lyft. I was asking him how feasible it was during the academic year and he said it worked for him just fine. Hope this helps!

Probably not a 3rd year just because our schedule is unbelievably busy. I could see 1st, 2nd and the middle/end of 4th year working out. I know my friend is a PT student in the medical school who is a 3rd year that does it. He says it's doable but the pay isn't that great at times. Plus you are required to have a newer vehicle. But it's easy part time work.

Can anyone who has been accepted recently (late 20s -30) say how long they were given to make a decision? Thanks!

Can anyone who has been accepted recently (late 20s -30) say how long they were given to make a decision? Thanks!

Looks like people are starting to clear out of here. I'm also curious about this, along with whether they give you your site placement within that window or after you formally accept. It's getting down to the wire here, folks!

Do any current students have opinions on which textbooks are necessary to buy?

Do any current students have opinions on which textbooks are necessary to buy?

Anatomy atlas, either Netters or Rohen depending if you want photos or drawings.

First aid for boards studying.

No other books are really necessary for the first two years since you will get a syllabus

Third and fourth year will require purchasing books.

Curriculum Question to any Current MS1:

What is the 1 week electives/remediation on the calendar? I am trying to plan a vacation for winter break, and I am just wondering if I can plan it for right after Finals (before the 1wk) or after that 1 week. It's just general planning right now. I will wait for the 2016 calendar to come out to plan dates accordingly. (Please refer to the image).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-06 at 8.57.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-06 at 8.57.24 AM.png
    314.2 KB · Views: 89
@charlie517 I actually emailed Emily Slager about this, and this was her response:

December 12-December 16: Electives, Reassessment, Rest (Intersession)
December 19 – January 2: Winter Break

While “rest” is an option for the Intersession week, students are encouraged against scheduling vacations since it is reserved for reassessment if you did not do well in the class and need to re-take an exam.

Curriculum Question to any Current MS1:

What is the 1 week electives/remediation on the calendar? I am trying to plan a vacation for winter break, and I am just wondering if I can plan it for right after Finals (before the 1wk) or after that 1 week. It's just general planning right now. I will wait for the 2016 calendar to come out to plan dates accordingly. (Please refer to the image).

You're not supposed to schedule any trips/vacations because correct, if you do not pass the class, you'll be required to remediate it during this time. Most people pass the classes though. There will also be electives you can take, but they aren't required.

Can somebody tell me if I'm thinking about the budget correctly? I'm looking at this site: http://www.uwmedicine.org/education...dent-affairs/financial-aid/budget-information

So basically the cost of attendance is $54,619. Subtract $33,519 (tuition), $240 (UPass), and $205 (HSIP Fee) to get $20,655 to cover the rest of life (rent, food, transportation, books, etc.), correct? How long does this 20K cover - til the end of next summer? So it'd basically be 20,655/12 months = ~$1720/month.

I should probably just talk to financial aid but I've been dragging my feet...

Thanks!

Can somebody tell me if I'm thinking about the budget correctly? I'm looking at this site: http://www.uwmedicine.org/education...dent-affairs/financial-aid/budget-information

So basically the cost of attendance is $54,619. Subtract $33,519 (tuition), $240 (UPass), and $205 (HSIP Fee) to get $20,655 to cover the rest of life (rent, food, transportation, books, etc.), correct? How long does this 20K cover - til the end of next summer? So it'd basically be 20,655/12 months = ~$1720/month.

I should probably just talk to financial aid but I've been dragging my feet...

Thanks!

You are correct. But just a warning, it's 20655/3, and then that money given over the quarters. It makes a difference because first quarter is August to December, which is 5 months. The other two quarters are like 2.5 months long. So money is tight during fall quarter and gets better with the winter and spring quarters.

Edit: oh and don't forget about paying for your board exams. That is very expensive too. Step 2 cost almost $2k, and that's before buying an airline ticket and for a hotel.

Last edited: