2015-2016 Wake Forest University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They're such a tease.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm instate and I also received the e-mail. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Folks,

Wake received my primary but I took the mcat June 20th and they won't have my score until next Tuesday. Is there anything I should do to make sure they get my score so my complete application can be reviewed?

+1 with the prelim review email! I agree, schools that screen are awesome.

Reactions: 1 user
Folks,

Wake received my primary but I took the mcat June 20th and they won't have my score until next Tuesday. Is there anything I should do to make sure they get my score so my complete application can be reviewed?
I'm pretty sure AMCAS sends your score to schools upon release - can anyone confirm? Also, in some schools I know they wait for any pending scores before doing a review of the applicant's application. That's the case for those who submit secondaries before their score release, though. I'm not sure how it is for schools that screen pre-secondary.

@HarryH00d thank you kindly!!! hope everything is going as planned with you as well so far, let's keep up the energy!

Got that email about an hour ago, taking it as a good sign! :)

Also got that email! Would love to go this school.

Did any of you guys pre-write the secondaries from last year? I was wondering if I should do that this week, or just wait to see what they end up being...

Did any of you guys pre-write the secondaries from last year? I was wondering if I should do that this week, or just wait to see what they end up being...
Standard diversity essay, standard challenges/obstacles essay, and a pretty straightforward background/competency essay. If you have already been working on other secondaries, you'll probably already have good material to use.

Does anyone know what the specifics of the pre-screen process are (MCAT, GPA, etc)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Folks,

It is an automatic process. Once we get the score from AMCAS the application goes into the screening pool like all the others.

"Your AMCAS application has been evaluated and we are sending you our secondary application by e-mail. Please allow 1-2 weeks for the application to be sent to you as we send them out in batches."

Any one else have this?

"Your AMCAS application has been evaluated and we are sending you our secondary application by e-mail. Please allow 1-2 weeks for the application to be sent to you as we send them out in batches."

Any one else have this?
Yea just checked on the portal. Does anyone know approximately how many people make it past the screen? Never mind I just looked at the previous page.

Last edited:

Any one else have this?
Got it.

Take your time, Wake. (Seriously)

Any one else have this?

+1

REL Larkin at UCF recommended getting on SDN. Hopefully I can clear up some misinformation and answers some questions, but I don't come here very often, so dont feel bad if I don't get back to you quickly.
REL's posts from the admissions perspective are always informative and encouraging, and I am glad to see he is encouraging other admission officers to do the same! Transparency in the process helps relieve a lot of the anxiety we feel as applicants, and it's much appreciated.

Also just checked my portal. Yay secondary!

I got the same update! I would love the opportunity to interview at Wake Forest. It's a great school and I've always liked Winston-Salem!

Still under review over here. That's okay though, I'm way behind in secondaries and I'm still hopeful Wake will send one my way :)

Passed the screen! Looking forward to submitting this one.

Still under review over here. That's okay though, I'm way behind in secondaries and I'm still hopeful Wake will send one my way :)
I'm behind on my secondaries too and it's starting to make me anxious! I can't wait until they're all in and then I can start to freak out about being complete, not getting IIs etc haha

Whoot! Status changed to secondary received. So excited! This is one of my top choices.

Whoot! Status changed to secondary received. So excited! This is one of my top choices.
+1

I'm trying to log in to the portal to check, but it's not working haha. If this were for an interview or acceptance-related matter I think I'd be going insane

Secondary received! Same questions as last year. Best of luck to everyone :)

Secondary received via email, OOS. Essay questions for those waiting:
1. The Committee on Admissions values diversity as an important factor in the educational mission of the Wake Forest School of Medicine. How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and to the medical community in general? (400 words or less).
2. What obstacles or challenges have you experienced and how have you dealt with them (400 words or less)?
3. The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) lists 15 entry-level core competencies for medical school applicants: Service Orientation, Social Skills, Cultural Competence, Teamwork, Oral Communication, Ethical Responsibility to Self and Others, Reliability and Dependability, Resilience and Adaptability, Capacity for Improvement, Critical Thinking, Quantitative Reasoning, Scientific Inquiry, Written Communication, Living Systems, and Human Behavior. (See AAMC webpage for full definitions using hyperlink below).

Please pick ONE of the competencies and describe how your background and experiences highlights the competency and prepares you for medical school. Do not duplicate information provided elsewhere in the secondary application or in your AMCAS personal statement (400 words or less).

Optional:
1. If you have already received your bachelor's degree, please describe what you have been doing since graduation and your plans for the upcoming year (200 words or less).
2. If you are a re-applicant, please describe if you have made any significant changes or improvements from your previous application (200 words or less)
3. Describe any connection you have to Wake Forest School of Medicine, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, or North Carolina (200 words or less).

Does Wake Forest not accept individual letters if your undergrad has a premed committee? I am a non-trad and did not get a letter from the committee, but this makes it seem like it is a requirement:
AMCAS is collecting the evaluations for this admissions cycle. While we prefer either the premed committee report or two evaluations, if your school has a letter service, we will accept their packet of letters.
And then the two options are:
My school's Premedical Committee or letter service will send evaluations to AMCAS.
My school does not have a Premedical Committee or letter service. AMCAS will receive the following two evaluations.

Thoughts?

Is it just me, or do the "optional" essays not really seem optional for non-traditional reapplicants like me? Haha

Reactions: 2 users
Damn. My obstacles/challenges are what make me diverse haha I haven't come across a school yet that asks these questions separately!!

Damn. My obstacles/challenges are what make me diverse haha I haven't come across a school yet that asks these questions separately!!

I feel that my answers to all the required secondary questions will be similar in many ways too. I wonder whether we'd be at a disadvantage to just do 2 out of the 3 essays instead of all 3.