2015-2016 Wake Forest University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tarheel1408

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. The Committee on Admissions values diversity as an important factor in the educational mission of the Wake Forest School of Medicine. How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and to the medical community in general? (400 words or less).

2. What obstacles or challenges have you experienced and how have you dealt with them (400 words or less)?

3. The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) lists 15 entry-level core competencies for medical school applicants: Service Orientation, Social Skills, Cultural Competence, Teamwork, Oral Communication, Ethical Responsibility to Self and Others, Reliability and Dependability, Resilience and Adaptability, Capacity for Improvement, Critical Thinking, Quantitative Reasoning, Scientific Inquiry, Written Communication, Living Systems, and Human Behavior.

Please pick ONE of the competencies and describe how your background and experiences highlights the competency and prepares you for medical school. Do not duplicate information provided elsewhere in the secondary application or in your AMCAS personal statement (400 words or less).

Optional:
1. If you have already received your bachelor's degree, please describe what you have been doing since graduation and your plans for the upcoming year (200 words or less).
2. If you are a re-applicant, please describe if you have made any significant changes or improvements from your previous application (200 words or less)
3. Describe any connection you have to Wake Forest School of Medicine, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, or North Carolina (200 words or less).

For last year's prompts, please refer to the first post of the 2014-2015 thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Good luck in the upcoming 2015-2016 cycle. I am an MS3 here at Wake and I would be happy to help if anyone has questions about the medical school, Winston-Salem, or life in general. It has been an awesome experience to be a student here at Wake, and I know you all will feel the same way if you become a student here as well.

Last year I gave some general advice and then answered questions that came my way, but I noticed that a lot of folks tended to ask similar questions, so I wanted to make a sort of FAQ here that will hopefully help some of you out. If there’s still a question you have that hasn’t been answered here, then of course feel free to ask me, @surely, or any other Wake student.

Wake Forest School of Medicine Admissions

Q: What are the statistics of the most recent entering class?

A: This link has some information about the Class of 2018:

Class Profile
8,091 applicants
541 interviewed
238 acceptances
Final class of 120

Q: What type of culture is there? What makes Wake unique, in your experience?

A: The culture of any place is difficult to put into words, and thankfully it's the adcom, and not me, that determines who is a good fit. Wake is an environment in which academic excellence and aptitude are cultivated, while at the same time the utmost collegiality is expected. The physicians and scientists here at Wake are excellent and represent some of the best and brightest in the country, but not one person here is too good to help a colleague out. From my fellow classmates to the program directors of our residency programs and everyone in between, any time you want or need help, there is someone there to provide it. Everyone involved with the medical school is invested in your success as a person and physician, and it is this combination of attributes, excellence and compassion, that we try to extend to patient care at WFBMC. (This answer has been repeated from last year’s thread, but after looking at it again I wouldn’t change anything, so I’ve left it intact.)

Q: How does Wake view out-of-state students? Students with no ties to North Carolina?

A: Wake is a private school and therefore has no obligations to in-state students. Usually, a significant portion of each class are NC residents, but I think that is because those students offer very compelling reasons about why they want to be at Wake. If an OOS student also gives great reasons why he or she wants to be at Wake, then he or she would be on equal footing. Attending college in NC can be considered one thing that strengthens your 'connection' to NC, but attending college in NC is not the same as being a resident.

Q: What is the interview day like?

A: You'll spend about 6 hours here, and only 6 applicants are invited to each interview day. Our interview day goes from 9-3. In the first three hours, you attend various informational seminars about the school, like the history of Wake and a financial aid section. Boring stuff I know, but it does help you to get a better idea of the big picture at Wake. From 12-1 you eat lunch in the cafeteria with a pair of med students. You can use this time to ask any questions you want and get the answer straight from the lion's mouth. After lunch, the interview group of 6 applicants will be split up into groups of 3. The first group will do their interviews from 1-2 while the other group of three goes on a tour around the medical center. Wake does three 20 minute interviews. They are not supposed to be stressful at all. The tour is led by a medical student or two, and that is another chance to ask the med students what it's like to be here. At 2, the groups will switch positions. At 3, the interview day is over.

Q: Does Wake screen applications pre-secondary? How many students make it to each stage of the application process?

A: I don’t have the exact numbers in front of me, so please don’t quote me on these numbers – I’m going to estimate. Wake receives over 8,000 applications each year, and roughly 2000-2500 students receive secondary applications. From these group of applicants that complete secondaries, we interview around 500-600 applicants. From the 500-600 who interview here, roughly 250 will go on to be accepted.

Q: What is one thing about Wake that stands out to you?

A: One thing about Wake that wasn't apparent from the website or interview was just how important the medical students are to the administration. You're definitely not just a number; people all over the medical school, from financial aid to medical education all know my name and who I am, even if I haven't interacted with them in months. Everyone is invested in our success, and it shows in the way that they treat us.

Q: How does Wake view multiple MCAT scores?

A: To the best of my knowledge, Wake considers all MCAT scores of the applicant. My most recent understanding is that Wake still takes the best composite score from applicants with multiple MCAT scores. For example, if you have taken the MCAT twice, then Wake will create a composite score that uses the best subsection scores from each time you took the test.

Q: Curriculum - The weekly schedule sample I saw showed a great deal of in-class time. Has this been your experience? Is attendance mandatory? When I visited, the students made it seem like they didn't know what to study to prepare for the tests, and there wasn't a clear syllabus. Is this accurate?

A: Some of the curriculum is mandatory attendance, but most of it is not. For example, I think most lectures are optional to attend, and they are recorded so you can view them later if you want. Other classes, like our medical interview/physical exam courses, or case-centered learning are attendance required. I personally attend all activities, mandatory attendance or not, and I feel like I waste very little of my time. Other people, however, choose to only attend class when it is mandatory – an example of how some people have different learning styles. Wake does a great job of catering to both groups, and both strategies (or a combination of them both) allow you to be successful.

Wake definitely has its fair share of PhDs that lecture us and spend a third of the lecture talking about their research interests. However, on the whole, the lectures you get will be contain valuable information and will not be a waste of time. I distinctly remember while taking Step 1 there were some questions that I only knew the answer to because I attended every lecture – I didn’t see the answer in any review resource that I used. Wake has been putting forth a huge effort in the past couple years to shift the curriculum to better prepare students for Step 1.

Q: Is Wake Forest involved with service or Global Health Initiatives?

A: I know that the school of medicine is heavily involved with global health, and sends a lot of students every year to communities across the globe to help out with thosethat are in desperate need of medical care. There are many of my classmates that are spending this summer doing service in Central or South America, or Africa. Other than that, and the other free clinic stuff that we do, I know that the school strongly encourages its students to get involved in any way they can. I know we had a special one hour seminar talking about the Albert Schweitzer fellowship, and Wake has students every year that do that, as well as various other things. I think the important thing to take away is that Wake does an excellent job of making sure that its students have every opportunity necessary to pursue whichever service project they want.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Q: What is the pre-clinical grading scheme at Wake?

A: Wake uses a P/F grading scheme during the pre-clinical years. Class rank at Wake does exist, but it really is only for the student's benefit. The class rank only appears in your Dean's letter, when applying to residency, if you, the student, choose to include it. If you are in the top 5 best students in your class, of course you want programs to see how well you've done compared to your peers. If, instead, you find yourself in the bottom quartile of the class, then you may choose to not include your class rank and instead highlight other aspects of your application. Wake tries to keep all parties happy!

Q: Clinical experience How would you rate the diversity of patients in the hospitals? Do you see a wide range of diseases? Are the patients at the hospital from many different socioeconomic statuses?

A: Winston-Salem has a huge diversity of patients. I don't think any patient population dominates another. Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center is the only Level 1 Trauma center in the western half of NC, meaning that we see everything here. All of the crazy and weird pathologies are sent here from elsewhere in the state, and we even get patients from southern Virginia or northern South Carolina. It’s one of the best things about going to a very large academic medical center for your training – you’ll be exposed to just about anything you could see in practice. As a side note, I’ll say another benefit of a school like Wake is that it’s a level 1 trauma center, but doesn’t have to share it’s interesting patients with another nearby school, a la Duke and UNC. And of course, as a large academic center, we see patients from every socioeconomic status.

Q: How easy is it to get your preferred order of rotations at your desired hospitals? Which hospitals are rotation sites for Wake students?

A: Wake Forest has 8 core rotations during third year: 12 weeks of Internal Medicine, 8 weeks of Surgery, 6 weeks of Pediatrics, 6 weeks of Ob/Gyn, 4 weeks of Emergency Medicine, 4 Weeks of Family Medicine, 4 weeks of Neurology, and 4 weeks of Psychiatry. The order of your rotations is established via a lottery system that takes place during second year. There are clerkship 'groups' that have either 5 or 10 students, and students will rank their groups based on the order of rotations each group has. Almost without exception, students will get a group within their top 5 choices. All of the core rotations are performed at our home instituion, WFBMC, with the lone exception of Ob/Gyn, which takes place in Forsyth County Hospital, which is about 5 miles away from Baptist.

Q: Do you believe I will be at disadvantage if I'm not Baptist?

A: Absolutely not. Wake Forest is still associated with the Baptist name only because of history. In today's day and age they do not show any preference for any religion. Wake is one of the most inclusive environments in the country. Your religious and spiritual beliefs will not be detrimental to you, barring some satanist belief in which you sacrifice lambs every week, or something... haha.

Q: When would one write a letter of interest?

A: Wake is interested in having students that want to be here, and also fit with the culture of the medical school campus. Letters of interest have a strong impact in the admissions office at Wake - if you want to be here, then tell us why! Letters of interest can be sent at any time during the application cycle, though they are most appropriate after you have interviewed, if you were put on the wait list. When writing a letter of interest, it is important to write a letter that does more than just states how much you'd like to be at Wake – you should pick specific things about Wake that make it the best place for you to receive your medical education, and tell us those things. This will make your letter more likely to be noticed.

Q: Have you gotten involved in research? Are there a lot of opportunities/is the faculty approachable? Is it feasible to do research all four years?

A: Research opportunities abound for students at Wake for those that want them, but research is not a requirement. One of my friends in the class came into medical school knowing that he wanted to do CT surgery and he had a position in a CT surgery lab by the middle of first year. Most students do not do research during first year, though. Wake has a summer program called MSRP, the medical student research program where students in the MD program work with a research mentor to develop and complete a research project during the summer between first and second years, and the program provides funding for them in the form of a stipend of almost $4000. The exact dollar amount is not constant each year, but it is significant, and it allows a lot of students to do research when they otherwise might not have been able. I'm currently doing research this summer as a part of Wake's MSRP, and it's awesome to be able to work on something to make my residency application look a little better and get paid at the same time.

Q: I like the small class size. When I visited everyone was so warm, and seemed happy. How diverse is the student body?

A: Wake admittedly does not have the most diverse medical class in the country, but we do have a pretty amazing bunch. The average age of incoming classes at Wake is usually around 24, meaning that the average student is two years out from graduation. The range of ages, however, goes from 20 to all the way over 50 – a very wide range of life experiences are present in our class. We have folks come from all backgrounds and all walks of life, and I think it makes us all better. And of course, we're all a pretty friendly bunch too!

Q: What is it like in Winston-Salem? How close is the medical school to the undergraduate campus?

A: There isn't a way to sugar coat it - Winston-Salem isn't Chicago. If really enjoy living in a big city then WS won't be that. We do have a great downtown area with some fun and awesome bars, but the downtown area isn't that extensive. However, being in the western part of North Carolina lends itself well to outdoorsy types. The Appalachian Mountains are only a few hours west, and the beach is a few (~3-4) hours to the east. I myself enjoy going hiking, and as you might be able to tell, I like to take my Jeep offroading. I can easily do both of those things in this area. If you have a thirst for a big city, Charlotte (largest city in NC) is about an hour south of here. Overall, Winston is a medium sized southern city. It's quite distinct from a large midwestern city like Chicago or a large west coast city like San Diego.

Currently, the medical school is situated on the hospital campus, which is about 5 miles away from the undergraduate campus. However, by the time you all are matriculating in medical school, Wake Forest will be opening its brand new medical school campus. It is going to be located at Biotech Place, which is part of the innovation quarter in downtown Winston-Salem. This place will have state-of-the-art facilities and will be gorgeous, so it is very exciting for everyone involved with the school.

***************************************************************************************
Anyways, feel free to PM me if you have questions, but if it's a question that other people may benefit from, or another student may also be able to answer, I'd appreciate it if you just posted in this thread. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@tarheel1408, I have a question about the third optional secondary essay (assuming it stays the same as last year, the question that asks about ties to Wake/Salem/NC). It definitely seems like Wake wants applicants who are interested in the school for specific reasons. I have no ties to the area or school, but I do have specific reasons for wanting to attend Wake. Do you know if the adcom would rather see that essay left blank for applicants like me, or if it would be appropriate to discuss those specific reasons there? I definitely don't want to make this a "That's not what we asked..." thing. Just curious if historically, the essay has been used for broader "why Wake" purposes.

@tarheel1408, I have a question about the third optional secondary essay (assuming it stays the same as last year, the question that asks about ties to Wake/Salem/NC). It definitely seems like Wake wants applicants who are interested in the school for specific reasons. I have no ties to the area or school, but I do have specific reasons for wanting to attend Wake. Do you know if the adcom would rather see that essay left blank for applicants like me, or if it would be appropriate to discuss those specific reasons there? I definitely don't want to make this a "That's not what we asked..." thing. Just curious if historically, the essay has been used for broader "why Wake" purposes.
You absolutely should use this space to tell Wake why you want to be here. Any reasons you put in there as to why you want to be at Wake at the worst would be ignored (I don't think this would happen), but I think they can only help.

Reactions: 1 user
Great posts, appreciate your time writing those.

This is one of the schools I'm applying too.

@tarheel1408, I'm on the fence about applying here; how much do students get involved in the community?

Reactions: 1 users
I see this school on a lot of peoples lists... is it a 'low-yield' school?

I see this school on a lot of peoples lists... is it a 'low-yield' school?
WedgeDawg's system ranks it as a mid-tier school. ~8000 applications for a class of 120, but the stats are definitely lower than top tier schools. Most low-yield schools have >10k applications and are also in a desirable location. But to me, it looks like Winston-Salem is a gem - just not a huge/coastal city. Anyway, I love what I've seen of this school so far - and apparently theres a new $50 million medical education building going up by July 2016. I'll definitely send an application here *fingers crossed* :D

Attachments

• wake msar.xlsx
    31.7 KB · Views: 165
From their website: Prerequisite course work from community colleges is strongly discouraged because of the difficulty in adequately assessing the quality of that preparation.

I took all my prereqs at community college(CA)
Guess this is a no-go, eh?

@tarheel1408, I'm on the fence about applying here; how much do students get involved in the community?

Students are able to get very involved in the community here. One of the most prominent avenues for this is the student-run DEAC clinic. This is a free clinic that occurs every wednesday and is managed by the medical students. Patients are welcome here if they do not have insurance, and it serves as a great way to provide care for the underserved community here in Winston. A significant number of students participate in this and find it very rewarding. There are numerous other services projects and activities that students create and manage that are currently active and I won't delve into them, but suffice it to say that yes, students are involved in the community here.

From their website: Prerequisite course work from community colleges is strongly discouraged because of the difficulty in adequately assessing the quality of that preparation.

I took all my prereqs at community college(CA)
Guess this is a no-go, eh?

We have students that have taken a significant number of classes at community colleges - don't let this deter you. If it really is something the school wouldn't want, odds are you won't get a secondary and you really won't be out that much money. But I don't think it should be an issue, as long as you've taken higher level science classes at a university. If you just did the minimum pre-reqs and those were at a CC, that might be more of an issue.

I'm a current student with most of my prereqs from community college, so feel free to take this anecdote as your invitation to apply!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a current student with most of my prereqs from community college, so feel free to take this anecdote as your invitation to apply!
Hey there, a few questions if you don't mind:

Are there many students with families at Wake? Also, what's the cost of living like within reasonable distance to school for a family of four?

I second this question, I also have a family of four and would like to know.

Hey there, a few questions if you don't mind:

Are there many students with families at Wake? Also, what's the cost of living like within reasonable distance to school for a family of four?

Yes, there are some students that came to school already with established families. Two of my good friends were married with older kids upon matriculation, and we've had some babies born during the past few years as well. I recall one time when a classmate's son was born the day before our neuroscience final, and the administration worked with him to allow him to take the test at a later date so he could be with his family. The folks in med ed here are extremely friendly and will always work with you.

As for cost of living, Winston is a very low cost of living area in general. My good friend has three kids and a husband, and they are able to have a great house ~10 minutes away from school and husband working for a little more than minimum wage. Now, they don't live a lavish lifestyle, but you have to expect to live somewhat like a student while you are one. They are, however, able to make it work and don't have problems with money. I would advise you to not let finances or family concerns deter you from applying to Wake.

Yes, there are some students that came to school already with established families. Two of my good friends were married with older kids upon matriculation, and we've had some babies born during the past few years as well. I recall one time when a classmate's son was born the day before our neuroscience final, and the administration worked with him to allow him to take the test at a later date so he could be with his family. The folks in med ed here are extremely friendly and will always work with you.

As for cost of living, Winston is a very low cost of living area in general. My good friend has three kids and a husband, and they are able to have a great house ~10 minutes away from school and husband working for a little more than minimum wage. Now, they don't live a lavish lifestyle, but you have to expect to live somewhat like a student while you are one. They are, however, able to make it work and don't have problems with money. I would advise you to not let finances or family concerns deter you from applying to Wake.
Thanks! Oh, and I am for sure applying. Thanks for all the great info.

Does anyone know the maximum number of letters of recommendation we can send to Wake?

Really excited about applying here....this is one of my top choices! Good luck everyone!

@tarheel1408

Question for you or anyone else with input: I was looking at this secondary essay prompt (I know it's optional)

"If you are a re-applicant, please describe if you have made any significant changes or improvements from your previous application (200 words or less)."

I'm a re-applicant in general, but I haven't applied to Wake Forest before…would it be a good idea to answer this question regardless?

@tarheel1408

Question for you or anyone else with input: I was looking at this secondary essay prompt (I know it's optional)

"If you are a re-applicant, please describe if you have made any significant changes or improvements from your previous application (200 words or less)."

I'm a re-applicant in general, but I haven't applied to Wake Forest before…would it be a good idea to answer this question regardless?

If you've made significant changes to your app, yes. New MCAT score? New clinical experience? What reinforced your decision to pursue medicine since last applying? Unless you've been living under a rock since last applying.

If you've made significant changes to your app, yes. New MCAT score? New clinical experience? What reinforced your decision to pursue medicine since last applying? Unless you've been living under a rock since last applying.

Okay makes sense…thanks @HarryH00d for responding! I think I'll write a response to this prompt.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. This is David Grier, the Dean for Admissions at WFSM. Secondaries will be going out sometime in the next two or three weeks. We have >3500 applications so far and we have to check the data we receive from AMCAS. It is not an automatic process so it will take a while.

Reactions: 41 users
Hello everyone. This is David Grier, the Dean for Admissions at WFSM. Secondaries will be going out sometime in the next two or three weeks. We have >3500 applications so far and we have to check the data we receive from AMCAS. It is not an automatic process so it will take a while.

Thank you for the update!

Does anybody know if Wake screens out low verbal reasoning scores (or even better, CARS scores on the new MCAT)? By low I mean an 8. After getting my preliminary percentile ranks for the new MCAT it looks like mine will be analogous to a 31-32 overall, but an 8 in the CARS/verbal.

Does anybody know if Wake screens out low verbal reasoning scores (or even better, CARS scores on the new MCAT)? By low I mean an 8. After getting my preliminary percentile ranks for the new MCAT it looks like mine will be analogous to a 31-32 overall, but an 8 in the CARS/verbal.
With a 31-32 overall I would not worry about it. Of course, I know nothing else about your application, but it would be silly to not send a secondary/ interview invite/ acceptance to someone based on one part of the MCAT, or a bad semester or course grade, or one weak point in the application.

Reactions: 10 users
^^Excellent! I'm in the same position but I like to think that I'm still a special snowflake that's worthy of a secondary :)

With a 31-32 overall I would not worry about it. Of course, I know nothing else about your application, but it would be silly to not send a secondary/ interview invite/ acceptance to someone based on one part of the MCAT, or a bad semester or course grade, or one weak point in the application.

I appreciate the input, this is definitely one of my top choice programs. I'm an OOS applicant with a 3.96 from a smaller state school with very solid experiences otherwise (at least in my opinion, but I'm a little biased I suppose). Hoping they will overlook that CARS section. Thanks!

Thank you!

Agreed! I've been seeing more and more of it lately in different threads and I think the transparency is much appreciated.
REL Larkin at UCF recommended getting on SDN. Hopefully I can clear up some misinformation and answers some questions, but I don't come here very often, so dont feel bad if I don't get back to you quickly.

Reactions: 8 users
We won't feel bad at all if we end up with IIs :laugh:

But on a serious note, we all really appreciate your time here, so thank you!

Reactions: 3 users
REL Larkin at UCF recommended getting on SDN. Hopefully I can clear up some misinformation and answers some questions, but I don't come here very often, so dont feel bad if I don't get back to you quickly.
Funny, UCF's thread was exactly what I was referencing too. Thanks for taking the time out to be here!

Secondary received OOS! Good luck everyone! Shooting for this school, would love to live in NC!

Secondary received OOS! Good luck everyone! Shooting for this school, would love to live in NC!
Also OOS, I received an e-mail but it specifically said that it was not the Secondary, but rather a link to check our application status.

Also OOS, I received an e-mail but it specifically said that it was not the Secondary, but rather a link to check our application status.

+1 I'm sure a secondary is right around the corner though.

You're totally right. Just saw Wake Forest as the title and jumped the gun there. Sorry for the false alarm hahah

Yep, got this same email too just now. The application status page says "Your primary application from AMCAS has been received. It is being evaluated and you will be sent an e-mail notification of your status within 1-2 weeks."

Still exciting to finally hear from WF. Excited to receive the secondary!

Yup, I just got the email as well. Here's hoping the secondary is soon to follow.

I feel like they could've tinyurl'd that link tho... That's probably more characters than my future secondary essays.

Reactions: 9 users