You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Weill Cornell Medical College Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Complete date?Axed just now pre-II, LizzyM 74-75. Good luck to all still in the running.
Complete date?
8/10
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Read the thread responses. There's a lot of replies talking about the interviewDoes anyone have any tips for interviewing here?
Were the interviewers very casual or was there a bad cop, good cop vibe?
Did they seem to focus heavily on your research and ask you all about the details of it (including the techniques used, etc.) or was it more of a skim through?
Anything that makes Cornell really stand out in your opinion? Anything more than just the tidbits picked up from their website?
Any advice is much appreciated (you can also PM me)! Thanks mucho!
Two 30-minute conversations about you (who are you, why medicine) and why Cornell
Congrats! Were those dates in late Jan?II today. OOS GPA 3.79 MCAT 517. Didn't think I'd get anymore. Had four dates in Jan available, but those were the only options in the email. There is probably more than just those.
Jan 4th, 7th, 12th, and 14thCongrats! Were those dates in late Jan?
Still haven't heard back and completed at the end of July..... becoming more skeptical of my chances as the days go by
Anyone know anything about hosting? My friend who's a current ms2 said there was but I cant seem to find anything.
Anyone know anything about hosting? My friend who's a current ms2 said there was but I cant seem to find anything.
I think things have changed in two years. They use to offer applicants housing in Olin but they have discontinued it. Try calling and see if you can get accommodations or crash at your friend's!
Anyone know anything about hosting? My friend who's a current ms2 said there was but I cant seem to find anything.
You can call or email them to request a host. They'll tell you that it's not guaranteed but they will try to find a host. They also asked me to list some of my hobbies and interests. My host told me that admissions has a spreadsheet of applicants who have requested hosts and the MS1s are free to choose to host anyone on the list (probably why you're asked for hobbies/interests). I wasn't matched with a host until 5 days before my interview.
Still haven't heard back and completed at the end of July..... becoming more skeptical of my chances as the days go by
Same here - hoping that since we haven't received rejections yet, it's a good sign! Fingers crossed for both of us!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Emailed hope I hear something back!
Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone knows when post interview acceptances are sent out?
As far as I can tell, no one has posted any acceptances/waitlists/rejections post interview on this thread.
Based on what it says on Cornell's website, it seems that acceptances/waitlists/rejections should trickle in on a regular basis after interviews.
On their website it says:
"Acceptance
The Committee meets on a regular basis and discusses the applicants who have been interviewed. Decisions regarding acceptance are made by consensus of the Committee.
If you are accepted to WCMC, we will notify you promptly after the decision by email and regular mail."
If anyone has any insight into this matter, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
I was wondering if anyone knows when post interview acceptances are sent out?
As far as I can tell, no one has posted any acceptances/waitlists/rejections post interview on this thread.
Based on what it says on Cornell's website, it seems that acceptances/waitlists/rejections should trickle in on a regular basis after interviews.
On their website it says:
"Acceptance
The Committee meets on a regular basis and discusses the applicants who have been interviewed. Decisions regarding acceptance are made by consensus of the Committee.
If you are accepted to WCMC, we will notify you promptly after the decision by email and regular mail."
If anyone has any insight into this matter, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Pretty sure I was told that all decisions would come out in March on my interview day.Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone knows when post interview acceptances are sent out?
As far as I can tell, no one has posted any acceptances/waitlists/rejections post interview on this thread.
Based on what it says on Cornell's website, it seems that acceptances/waitlists/rejections should trickle in on a regular basis after interviews.
On their website it says:
"Acceptance
The Committee meets on a regular basis and discusses the applicants who have been interviewed. Decisions regarding acceptance are made by consensus of the Committee.
If you are accepted to WCMC, we will notify you promptly after the decision by email and regular mail."
If anyone has any insight into this matter, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Pretty sure I was told that all decisions would come out in March on my interview day.
Thanks a lot guys. I thought I remembered something like that. I just got confused by what I read on the website.
I believe on the email about your application being complete, there is a line that has the email you send updates to. Double check, but I think it is [email protected]Do we send updates as an email to admissions?
II today! LM 76-78. There are still some dates available from mid Jan to the beginning of Feb so don't lose hope for those still waiting!
Anyone think i should send an update to Cornell (post-interview) about the completion of the manuscript/submission to journal for my undergrad research? If it needs revisions that require additional significant experiments, I'm afraid that it won't be accepted by a journal until after Cornell reviews my file and releases decisions. This would be my first publication and would be the first concrete evidence of my research outside of my PI's letter.
Anyone think i should send an update to Cornell (post-interview) about the completion of the manuscript/submission to journal for my undergrad research? If it needs revisions that require additional significant experiments, I'm afraid that it won't be accepted by a journal until after Cornell reviews my file and releases decisions. This would be my first publication and would be the first concrete evidence of my research outside of my PI's letter.
Did you reference a manuscript being in preparation on your app anywhere? If yes, I think the update would be redundant. If not it's fair game.
However, wouldn't you just rather wait to see if it's accepted? Still got a long while before Cornell makes decisions. Update will look nicer with a. Link to the paper or at least it's official doi. I know it could take a month or more to get to that point but some journals are quicker.
Anybody can submit a manuscript so nobody really cares. Such an update is low-yield. Getting a pub vs not is never a make or break from the advice we've received on SDN
I was looking at it as more of an update that significant progress has been made than that it's a significant achievement. I'll probably wait a few more days to find out if it will at least be accepted with certain revisions needing to be done.
I was looking at it as more of an update that significant progress has been made than that it's a significant achievement. I'll probably wait a few more days to find out if it will at least be accepted with certain revisions needing to be done.
Bro, just upload it and let them decide if they care or not. Low yield is still >> No yield.
+1Bro, just upload it and let them decide if they care or not. Low yield is still >> No yield.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you're just submitting it, it's gonna be way longer than a couple days to find out whether you've made R&R, even longer to know if it'll be accepted. If you're gung-ho about submitting an update, no point in waiting. Just do it nowI was looking at it as more of an update that significant progress has been made than that it's a significant achievement. I'll probably wait a few more days to find out if it will at least be accepted with certain revisions needing to be done.
Are there still a lot of people complete in July/August and haven't been rejected yet? Still holding onto a glimmer of hope but realistically with every passing day chances go down lol.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)$$$)$)$$$$$$Can any NYC natives/current medical students give me an idea as to the cost of living in Manhattan?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)$$$)$)$$$$$$
Unless you go to WCMC. They actually heavily subsidize the housing and pretty much every student lives in the same place (this is good and bad). They literally live on top of the admissions office and have a 100ft walk to class. MS1 rent including wifi, electricity, etc. was around $750 for a single room.
Now, they are not luxury apartments (closer to a dorm), but living in downtown NYC for that little money is unbelievable.
Lol ok in all seriousness:
Cornell said MS1 housing is $800/mo about. Pretty damn ****ing good
Cooking 4-5 dinners a week can easily run groceries to like $300-350/mo. assuming you don't have time to hunt for deals
Public transit at $2.75 for one ride would just depend on often you use it. Assuming one round trip a weekend that's $40-50 a month.
Random meals for breakfast and lunch plus coffees or whatever ranges widely. I would estimate the average person does $400 in these purchases a month but that's pretty baseless on my part. Starbucks every day will drive that **** up faster than your student loans accumulate.
Everything else is gravy, can be as little or as much as you'd like
Cornell said MS1 housing is $800/mo about. Pretty damn ****ing good
Cooking 4-5 dinners a week can easily run groceries to like $300-350/mo. assuming you don't have time to hunt for deals
Public transit at $2.75 for one ride would just depend on often you use it. Assuming one round trip a weekend that's $40-50 a month.
Random meals for breakfast and lunch plus coffees or whatever ranges widely. I would estimate the average person does $400 in these purchases a month but that's pretty baseless on my part. Starbucks every day will drive that **** up faster than your student loans accumulate.
Everything else is gravy, can be as little or as much as you'd like
Lol ok in all seriousness:
Cornell said MS1 housing is $800/mo about. Pretty damn ****ing good
Cooking 4-5 dinners a week can easily run groceries to like $300-350/mo. assuming you don't have time to hunt for deals
Public transit at $2.75 for one ride would just depend on often you use it. Assuming one round trip a weekend that's $40-50 a month.
Random meals for breakfast and lunch plus coffees or whatever ranges widely. I would estimate the average person does $400 in these purchases a month but that's pretty baseless on my part. Starbucks every day will drive that **** up faster than your student loans accumulate.
Everything else is gravy, can be as little or as much as you'd like
The above is a good summary. $800 a month is ****ing unheard of on the island of Manhattan.
To put NYC cost of living simply, Chipotle averages $1-2 more expensive than any other major city
Yes i know that, I've interviewed here. But cost of living does not equal just rent. Rent does not mean all other basic necessities are taken care of. See my later postUnless you go to WCMC. They actually heavily subsidize the housing and pretty much every student lives in the same place (this is good and bad). They literally live on top of the admissions office and have a 100ft walk to class. MS1 rent including wifi, electricity, etc. was around $750 for a single room.
Now, they are not luxury apartments (closer to a dorm), but living in downtown NYC for that little money is unbelievable.
Also lol Cornell is not "downtown NYC" just saying
Last edited:
For someone who lives in NYC, it's not bad. Food is not THAT expensive ($300/$350 a month to cook your own food? Only if you shop at Whole Foods and/or believe you have a "gluten allergy" and eat only organic things). Rent is cheap for the students! EXTREMELY. Especially for housing on the Upper East Side (known to be home to the rich and privileged). ~$700/month for housing for med students on UES including all utilities, internet, etc. is like a fairytale in Manhattan.
You can buy a weekly or monthly subway pass ($31/$116) that is unlimited and WORTH IT if you use at least 12 swipes per week, which you probably will not do because we will be busy in medical school and won't have time to do things across town and everything of necessity is within walking distance.
I suggest speaking to someone who lives in NYC would be your best bet at getting a good answer about living there, and if you get in and matriculate, I would suggest becoming besties with someone who has lived in NYC so they can show you all the places you should actually shop for food, clothes, etc. because locals don't talk to people (especially on the subway), let alone give them advice on places to shop.
As a NYC resident, this is just my opinion, and I was born/raised in the GHETTO, so I know how expensive it CAN be if you don't do things the right way.
You can buy a weekly or monthly subway pass ($31/$116) that is unlimited and WORTH IT if you use at least 12 swipes per week, which you probably will not do because we will be busy in medical school and won't have time to do things across town and everything of necessity is within walking distance.
I suggest speaking to someone who lives in NYC would be your best bet at getting a good answer about living there, and if you get in and matriculate, I would suggest becoming besties with someone who has lived in NYC so they can show you all the places you should actually shop for food, clothes, etc. because locals don't talk to people (especially on the subway), let alone give them advice on places to shop.
As a NYC resident, this is just my opinion, and I was born/raised in the GHETTO, so I know how expensive it CAN be if you don't do things the right way.
Well I certainly had months where I was spending near $350 for groceries and misc food when I worked on NYC making like $60k. I went off the assumption that people will not cook ALL their food, which brings misc meals in here and there, easily pushing the budget up.
Also let's not kid about gluten allergies. People have real problems with gluten. It's not just a rich white picky problem, though many people are just picky eaters facading as patients. **** 'em, but let's not put down a serious condition many people have to deal with.
Also let's not kid about gluten allergies. People have real problems with gluten. It's not just a rich white picky problem, though many people are just picky eaters facading as patients. **** 'em, but let's not put down a serious condition many people have to deal with.
Truth. If you have true DIAGNOSED celiac disease or a gluten sensitivity, then you get a free pass.... but if we took a poll on the people who are on gluten free diets... many would answer that they haven't seen a doctor about it (IF they were injected with truth serum forcing them to reveal only the truth).
You can also survive off of Chicken and Rice on 53rd and 6th. This is a true statement.
You can also survive off of Chicken and Rice on 53rd and 6th. This is a true statement.
Just got the rejection email from Weill. LM 74. Complete 7/30. In state. PI is a Weill faculty.
+1. Complete early July, OOS.Just got the rejection email from Weill. LM 74. Complete 7/30. In state. PI is a Weill faculty.
It really depends on how much you party (I laughed, and then cried, when I learned one blue moon at a bar runs me at least $5 if it's a divey bar, and $7 if it's a club, not to mention mixed drinks, like $12 for a whiskey sour at a rooftop bar) and/or buy stuff (including books). I have some classmates who read all their book readings on pdf, so that's $0 on that.Can any NYC natives/current medical students give me an idea as to the cost of living in Manhattan?
Housing is $750/month the first year (because you live in Olin), so that's pretty cheap.
I get a $700/month allowance from parents (sorry if this reeks of "holy ****, you're spoiled rotten"), and that's been plenty enough for me. I sometimes make my own breakfast (eggs and/or oats), and sometimes buy ($3 for a egg, bacon, and cheese on a croissant + coffee), weekdays I buy a pretty loaded salad for lunch (lots of chicken breast+tuna, plus some lettuce and quinoa or some other grain) that runs for $5, and dinners I cook myself (from groceries I buy from Trader Joe's or other ethnic cuisines I may want to try my hand at). My last purchase at Trader Joe's totaled around $42, and that was for at least a solid week of dinners (two bags of dumplings, chicken for 3-4 dinners, pasta+alfredo sauce+cheese, haricots verts to go with the chicken (and some rice I had already bought)), plus some other stuff like oats.
You can definitely make it work.
Still waiting on a response pre-interview, unfortunately. NOT LOOKING GOOD
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1Still waiting on a response pre-interview, unfortunately. NOT LOOKING GOOD
Anyone know about living with a partner as a student at Weill Cornell? If I attend here, I'm planning on toting my boyfriend along... except that the housing website only mentions married couple housing, and we aren't planning on getting married anytime soon :/ I know you can live off campus, but shelling out thousands more dollars is going to be super painful when my peers are paying $700/mo rent.
We were told that as long as you can prove that you didn't just meet and are trying to game the system, couples qualify for the couples housingAnyone know about living with a partner as a student at Weill Cornell? If I attend here, I'm planning on toting my boyfriend along... except that the housing website only mentions married couple housing, and we aren't planning on getting married anytime soon :/ I know you can live off campus, but shelling out thousands more dollars is going to be super painful when my peers are paying $700/mo rent.
.
Last edited: