2016-2017 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone who was accepted ever receive anything in the mail?
No sir!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how many people are on the UC list and how many are accepted off of it? I know they mentioned it at the interview but I can't remember the specific numbers. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Sent a checking in email and received the following:

"It will probably be another week before we have a decision for you. we apologize for the delay."

I get the feeling this means I will be receiving my pre-II rejection next week?

Members don't see this ad :)

"It will probably be another week before we have a decision for you. we apologize for the delay."

Stop being so hard on yourself

Reactions: 2 users

When did you submit?

pre II rejection, super disappointed considering I interviewed last year and was waitlisted :(

II... Any advice from people who interviewed for the MMI?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why doesn't AMC accept post interview updates? I'm on the waitlisted but there are so many new things in my life that I want them to know.

Accepted yesterday.
LizzyM ~70, IS, interviewed early December.

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted yesterday.
LizzyM ~70, IS, interviewed early December.
Congrats! when you interviewed, did they say you would hear back in early Jan or did you hear back earlier than what they told you at interview day?

hey guys! first time poster here...do we have to update with our new grades or is that optional? my semester grades were a bit (.1) lower than my cumulative gpa so i didnt think it would help

Congrats! when you interviewed, did they say you would hear back in early Jan or did you hear back earlier than what they told you at interview day?
They stated that it would approximately be one month. In view of the holidays, I'd consider them early.

hey guys! first time poster here...do we have to update with our new grades or is that optional? my semester grades were a bit (.1) lower than my cumulative gpa so i didnt think it would help
I could be wrong, but only if you're interviewed or accepted. You cannot update prior to your interview or the timing between your interview and decision.

So:
Apply to interview = no updates are accepted

To sign up for the interview itself = updates (in essay format) are accepted

Interviewed to decision = no updates are accepted

Acceptance to matriculation = while it's not necessarily an update, you'll have to send your most recent transcripts

Reactions: 1 user
I could be wrong, but only if you're interviewed or accepted. You cannot update prior to your interview or the timing between your interview and decision.

So:

Acceptance to matriculation = while it's not necessarily an update, you'll have to send your most recent transcripts
awesome thank you for the thorough reply! I am in the interviewed to decision spot right now and i remember them saying no updates but something about grades if we received them quickly or something...better be safe and not do anything i guess haha
EDIT: after reading the replies and talking to couple friends, im pretty sure they said we can submit grades if it was right after our interview (mine was towards end of semester) so weird timing...thank you guys all for clearing it up!

Last edited:

So:

Can confirm this pretty much sums up what they told us at the interview today.

Edit: Just wanted to make a small correction, they said that they do takes grade updates in the form of unofficial transcripts post interview/pre acceptance. But no other form of updates are accepted.

Reactions: 1 users
Can confirm this pretty much sums up what they told us at the interview today.

Edit: Just wanted to make a small correction, they said that they do takes grade updates in the form of unofficial transcripts post interview/pre acceptance. But no other form of updates are accepted.
sorry to ask again but are these grade updates required? if i dont send them, will it hurt my chances?

EDIT: I am post interview awaiting decision

sorry to ask again but are these grade updates required? if i dont send them, will it hurt my chances?

EDIT: I am post interview awaiting decision

Nope. Optional. Though it'll be taken into consideration during review.

To current students- I was wondering what the academic calendar is like? Specifically, when do students at AMC usually take the boards?
Thanks!

Rejected just now. Complete mid August.

Pre-II rejection. I thought their rejection email was the most condescending, paternalistic one I've received so far.

Pre-II rejection. I thought their rejection email was the most condescending, paternalistic one I've received so far.

I didn't even read the stupid thing, lol. I did appreciate that 'no interview' was very clear in the subject line so that was all I needed.

joining the rejection train... complete early September

I didn't even read the stupid thing, lol. I did appreciate that 'no interview' was very clear in the subject line so that was all I needed.

Could you post the contents of the letter? Curious to see if it's worst than Rochesters.

Could you post the contents of the letter? Curious to see if it's worst than Rochesters.

"Dear Mr. Pudding,

You're awesome and we know it and this is tough...but we've decided not to bother you with an interview and allow you to matriculate elsewhere. Sorry for the inconvenience." :D

I actually hesitate to in case the thread is monitored. It was marked confidential (I'm looking at you, Hillary) but I was also rejected by Rochester and they're similar generic piss off letters.

Sorry to hear that....what was so bad about it?

"Dear Mr. Pudding,

You're awesome and we know it and this is tough...but we've decided not to bother you with an interview and allow you to matriculate elsewhere. Sorry for the inconvenience." :D

I actually hesitate to in case the thread is monitored. It was marked confidential (I'm looking at you, Hillary) but I was also rejected by Rochester and they're similar generic piss off letters.
Rochester's was brutal.

"Dear Mr. Pudding,

Lol you forgot the "We're going to assume that you will be a reapplicant because you didn't get an interview from us. Here are some resources for you to fix your application, but really it's just generic information that is of no use. It's really us telling you not to bother us anymore."

Lol you forgot the "We're going to assume that you will be a reapplicant because you didn't get an interview from us. Here are some resources for you to fix your application, but really it's just generic information that is of no use. It's really us telling you not to bother us anymore."

Yes that part was the worst part. UGH.

Yes that part was the worst part. UGH.

haha I'm sure they weren't purposely being condescending, but it could be revised to be a little more empathetic. Someone receiving such a letter would no doubt be very bitter and salty about the whole application experience.

haha I'm sure they weren't purposely being condescending, but it could be revised to be a little more empathetic. Someone receiving such a letter would no doubt be very bitter and salty about the whole application experience.

That's a generous outlook :) you must have a heart of gold!

I was thinking no empathetic person could ever write a letter like that.

Haven't heard anything since being complete in August. Kinda intrigued to just receive that rejection already to see what all the fuss is about with the e-mail...

Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone been accepted off the UC list recently? Last record here is in December... hoping the January wave comes soon!

When they make decisions on who they're accepting, do they make a re-review of the apps holistically and focus on stats/EC's and all that? Or is it that once someone is interviewed the stats/Ec's/PS/Recs are good enough so they mainly factor in MMI performance. If someone has low stats but did very well on the MMI, might they not accept him because his stats are low? (But if that's the case why would they have even bothered sending him/her an II and wasting the time and money when they deny many "more qualified" applicants?)

I have to say I was rejected from Albany in September and in their e-mail they provided the average stats of the class and my stat were higher in both MCAT and GPA. I wish that they didn't give me their stats in this case because their reasoning for rejection was ridiculous. The least they can do is bother to make it more empathetic. They are training people to be empathetic doctors. Maybe they should get some empathetic admissions committee members. I have gotten plenty of rejections so far, but none were as rude and condescending as this one.

Can someone take one for the team and post the contents of the rejection email? I'm so curious

Reactions: 2 users
When they make decisions on who they're accepting, do they make a re-review of the apps holistically and focus on stats/EC's and all that? Or is it that once someone is interviewed the stats/Ec's/PS/Recs are good enough so they mainly factor in MMI performance. If someone has low stats but did very well on the MMI, might they not accept him because his stats are low? (But if that's the case why would they have even bothered sending him/her an II and wasting the time and money when they deny many "more qualified" applicants?)
from what i remember from interview day, im pretty sure they look at the whole application + the MMI (idk how the weighting works) and then give every applicant a total score

Can someone take one for the team and post the contents of the rejection email? I'm so curious

Someone PM me if this is against the rules please:

Dear Joseph:

I regret to inform you that you have not been selected for interview this year at Albany Medical College.

It is important to know that your application was carefully evaluated. It is a responsibility that we take very seriously. All information available to us was taken into account when a decision was made. Strong MCAT scores and high levels of academic achievement do not guarantee an interview or admission.

To help guide you in assessing your own credentials, it may be helpful to know that the mean undergraduate grade point average of our present freshman class is 3.6, and their MCAT score averages for the old format are 9.85 verbal, 10.5 physical science, and 10.8 biology. MCAT score averages for the new format are Biological and Biochemical Foundations and Living Systems 127.95, Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems 126.82, Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior 127.26, and Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills 127.52. This is composite data; therefore, there are applicants who have generally demonstrated both higher and lower levels of achievement in these assessment areas. If an applicant has weaker than average credentials in one area, these are typically offset by much stronger results in another area.

This year we anticipate receiving nearly 9,000 applications. Unfortunately, we must restrict the number of applicants we interview to approximately 1,000 from which a class of 140 students is selected. There is no doubt in our minds that there are many applicants who, given the opportunity, would be caring and competent physicians.

We suggest that you carefully evaluate your credentials with the assistance of a premedical advisor. In addition, you may wish to refer to the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC)website:

http://www.aamc.org

This website contains a wealth of information concerning medical education. Also, the AAMC publishes a book entitled Medical School Admissions Requirements(MSAR); you may obtain ordering information from the publications section of the AAMC website.

After obtaining advice from your premedical advisor and self-evaluation, you may be able to identify areas of your application that need improvement. The next step is to strengthen these areas and re-apply. Although we would like to be of further assistance in providing feedback to applicants, we do not have the capability to provide further counseling concerning your application.

Thank you for your interest in the Albany Medical College. Best wishes for success in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

Reactions: 3 users