2016-2017 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Under consideration as well. Interviewed November 7th. Seems to be a lot of movement in January in previous cycles.

MCAT 516, GPA 3.8

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have an opinion on whether it is too late to submit the secondary application? Deadline is three days from now. OOS, LizzyM 65-70, URM (if that helps).

Anyone have an opinion on whether it is too late to submit the secondary application? Deadline is three days from now. OOS, LizzyM 65-70, URM (if that helps).
I would think Albany would be one of the better places to submit late to, as they dole out acceptances very conservatively throughout the cycle, so your chance for admission should be the same no matter when you receive an II. The likelihood of an II, however, will probably be smaller as with any school this late in the cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would think Albany would be one of the better places to submit late to, as they dole out acceptances very conservatively throughout the cycle, so your chance for admission should be the same no matter when you receive an II. The likelihood of an II, however, will probably be smaller as with any school this late in the cycle.
Thank you!

Just got an acceptance email after being put on the waitlist in october. Was not expecting that o_O

Reactions: 3 users
seeing waitlist movement is making me a little happy - hope i get a spot! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a heads up for all those like me still on the UC list, based on last year's thread and the fact that they have so far followed the same pattern this cycle, we can expect some movement from the UC list about once a month now until summer. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Placed on the UC list 12/14! Interviewed 11/16... Great thing about this school is that the UC list is actually used the right way, lets hope good things happen!!

Anyone else still waiting to hear anything back from a very early Nov interview?

Anyone still waiting to hear? I;ve been complete since august the wait hurts

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted - interviewed early Nov

Will be withdrawing my spot!

Reactions: 6 users
for those of you who have interviewed, what time did you get out? tryna plan flights sorry if this has already been asked!

EDIT: how do you know which group you are in? my portal just says check in is at 11 am and check out is between 330-4...is this accurate?

Last edited:
for those of you who have interviewed, what time did you get out? tryna plan flights sorry if this has already been asked!

EDIT: how do you know which group you are in? my portal just says check in is at 11 am and check out is between 330-4...is this accurate?
I got in at 9. I was there WAY too early after cabbing down. It'll probably end by 3 tbh.

I drove from CT and got to the school around 10:15. I would plan on leaving the campus around 4 just to give yourself a little extra time so you're not rushing to your flight. If you're in the portal under "interview packet and response form" there should be a section on the left called "interview day agenda" and it says your group above the schedule

anybody who interviewed in early november yet to hear back or receive any emails?

Accepted this morning ~8 Pacific.

Reactions: 3 users
If you don't mind me asking, how did you think you did at the MMI?

Congrats btw!!!
I thought I did poorly. Without violating the NDA I can say: it wasn't just MMI-level awkward for me, it was often way beyond that.

I thought I did poorly. Without violating the NDA I can say: it wasn't just MMI-level awkward for me, it was often way beyond that.
gotcha! well congrats on the acceptance!!

This gives me hope.

Reactions: 2 users
how long did it typically take to hear back after you guys interviewed?

I interviewed 12/6 and woke up to an email this morning so 2 weeks

was bored and did some research and found some interesting stats in terms of IS vs OOS interviews here the past two years!

2 years ago, IS:OOS interviews was around 300:700 and this past year the ratio was around 560:260

the matriculant ratio was the same for both years! as an OOS applicant, here's to hoping that they divide up the interviews similar to how they did last year haha

If anyone has more insight as to how they are planning to divide the IS vs OOS interviews this year, feel free to let us know! or maybe since they are a private school, it truly just depends on the year?

Last edited:
dot

Last edited:
I edited to preserve the anonymity if you want to edit yours too. Typically people tend to post "vague" ranges of MSAR's data to avoid any trouble.

sup guys i have a question for interviewed people. In terms of MMI, is it just strictly ethics question, or are there normal interview questions thrown at you too like why do you want to come to our med school, what are your strengths weaknesses, etc.

sup guys i have a question for interviewed people. In terms of MMI, is it just strictly ethics question, or are there normal interview questions thrown at you too like why do you want to come to our med school, what are your strengths weaknesses, etc.

I don't think we can answer that but I can tell you that they don't make you go in blind, they answer questions (such as this one) before you interview

I don't think we can answer that but I can tell you that they don't make you go in blind, they answer questions (such as this one) before you interview

Meaning if I were to call them and ask them? I got my interview soon and they haven't answered yet.

Are interviews offered from albany low yield compared to other schools? IE are there a lot of interviews for every acceptance?

Meaning if I were to call them and ask them? I got my interview soon and they haven't answered yet.

I mean I guess you could call but if you read the schedule for the day you'll see there's an info session where they explain the MMI and what to expect and allow you to ask questions.
As for your second question I don't know about yield

Anyone interviewing Jan 6 wanna split hotel fare @ hilton garden inn? Theres a room with 2 queens for $120/night

For those who were accepted, have you guys already submitted the financial aid application specific for the school?

Last edited:
Hi guys! I had a question about financial aid for albany. So for those of you who have been accepted, on FAFSA, did you guys click yes on the question where it asks if you want to answer information about your parents? I tried calling the Albany Fin. Aid office but was only able to leave a message.
I know some schools require it for determining school based scholarships and some don't, so I was wondering what those of you who have been accepted are doing.
Try financial aid again. I got ahold of them recently with no problem

II just now!! OOS

Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone who was accepted ever receive anything in the mail? I feel like they said we would