2016-2017 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still holding onto hope... Complete late august and no news

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
from what i remember from interview day, im pretty sure they look at the whole application + the MMI (idk how the weighting works) and then give every applicant a total score
From what I recall, pretty much this. After a committee member presents you to the committee and they score you, they use stack ranking and draw "cut offs" to determine who is immediately accepted (small percentage), who is put on the under consideration (UC), and who is rejected outright. Later in the cycle they recompare more recent interviewees with those on the UC list and lower the cutoffs to continue to admit people until the class is full.

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone PM me if this is against the rules please:

Dear Joseph:

I regret to inform you that you have not been selected for interview this year at Albany Medical College.

It is important to know that your application was carefully evaluated. It is a responsibility that we take very seriously. All information available to us was taken into account when a decision was made. Strong MCAT scores and high levels of academic achievement do not guarantee an interview or admission.

To help guide you in assessing your own credentials, it may be helpful to know that the mean undergraduate grade point average of our present freshman class is 3.6, and their MCAT score averages for the old format are 9.85 verbal, 10.5 physical science, and 10.8 biology. MCAT score averages for the new format are Biological and Biochemical Foundations and Living Systems 127.95, Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems 126.82, Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior 127.26, and Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills 127.52. This is composite data; therefore, there are applicants who have generally demonstrated both higher and lower levels of achievement in these assessment areas. If an applicant has weaker than average credentials in one area, these are typically offset by much stronger results in another area.

This year we anticipate receiving nearly 9,000 applications. Unfortunately, we must restrict the number of applicants we interview to approximately 1,000 from which a class of 140 students is selected. There is no doubt in our minds that there are many applicants who, given the opportunity, would be caring and competent physicians.

We suggest that you carefully evaluate your credentials with the assistance of a premedical advisor. In addition, you may wish to refer to the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC)website:

http://www.aamc.org

This website contains a wealth of information concerning medical education. Also, the AAMC publishes a book entitled Medical School Admissions Requirements(MSAR); you may obtain ordering information from the publications section of the AAMC website.

After obtaining advice from your premedical advisor and self-evaluation, you may be able to identify areas of your application that need improvement. The next step is to strengthen these areas and re-apply. Although we would like to be of further assistance in providing feedback to applicants, we do not have the capability to provide further counseling concerning your application.

Thank you for your interest in the Albany Medical College. Best wishes for success in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,
Am I the only one who doesn't find this insulting, but actually pretty thoughtful?

Reactions: 6 users
Am I the only one who doesn't find this insulting, but actually pretty thoughtful?

Agreed I thought it had a helpful tone and it clearly shows they put a lot of thought into turning people down other than some other schools who accomplish a rejection in a paragraph or less. Then again I might feel different if I was to have received the email myself

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users

I didn't think it was so bad. But after the rejections I have gotten from ex-girlfriends at break-up time, nothing will seem very negative t me.

I didn't think it was so bad. But after the rejections I have gotten from ex-girlfriends at break-up time, nothing will seem very negative t me.

I hope for your sake they didn't send you website links with the suggest of learning how to improve yourself like Albany... ouch..

I hope for your sake they didn't send you website links with the suggest of learning how to improve yourself like Albany... ouch..

Or that she didn't reject you after submitting a $130 fee to write her 5 500 word essays

Reactions: 7 users
II just now! LizzyM 66, complete in August.

My advice: Don't lose hope! This is my first II of this season and believe me, I understand how difficult and challenging the process is... but just the fact that we've all taken pre-med courses, studied for the MCAT and applied to medical school is an accomplishment in and of itself! Keep up the good work, everyone!

Reactions: 7 users
II just now! LizzyM 66, complete in August.

My advice: Don't lose hope! This is my first II of this season and believe me, I understand how difficult and challenging the process is... but just the fact that we've all taken pre-med courses, studied for the MCAT and applied to medical school is an accomplishment in and of itself! Keep up the good work, everyone!
Good luck!!

Wow 1000 interviews and only 140 spots.....definitely feeling less hopeful about being on the UC list now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow 1000 interviews and only 140 spots.....definitely feeling less hopeful about being on the UC list now.
they made sure to say that a loooot of people come from the UC list during interview day! I know thats not super reassuring haha but dont lose hope!

They probably accept at least 2x than 140 so you have around a 30% chance post interview. Not great but not horrible

Reactions: 1 users
FYI they have an optional "what have you being doing since you submitted your app" 1000 character limit essay before you can pick an II date. Good luck to everyone waiting.

II today! Does anyone know if Albany has a student hosting program?

they made sure to say that a loooot of people come from the UC list during interview day! I know thats not super reassuring haha but dont lose hope!
and I believe 40 of those spots are spoken for by early admit options... can someone confirm/deny this?

They probably accept at least 2x than 140 so you have around a 30% chance post interview. Not great but not horrible

also I believe their number is 2.5-3x, so yeah 25-30% if there are ~100 available to those of us applying regular AMCAS but obviously higher if I am wrong about the 40 spoken for seats.

Given all that there's still a chance! Some other schools have worse interview/acceptance ratios

and I believe 40 of those spots are spoken for by early admit options... can someone confirm/deny this?

also I believe their number is 2.5-3x, so yeah 25-30% if there are ~100 available to those of us applying regular AMCAS but obviously higher if I am wrong about the 40 spoken for seats.

Given all that there's still a chance! Some other schools have worse interview/acceptance ratios
Not sure about 40, but about 6-7 seats are reserved for students in the 8 year Leadership in Medicine program with Union College.

Not sure about 40, but about 6-7 seats are reserved for students in the 8 year Leadership in Medicine program with Union College.

RPI and Sienna have similar programs with Albany, increasing the number of saved spots

RPI and Sienna have similar programs with Albany, increasing the number of saved spots

im pretty sure that from the regular pool, they have about 100-110 people matriculate any given year...and im pretty sure I remember them telling us that they accept 2-3x the amount of spots so prob send out 200-320 acceptances for those ~100 spots

Received an interview recently but will most likely be turning it down (complete early to mid August, LizzyM 70-73). Wouldn't want to take away the opportunity from someone who really wants to go here when I'm unlikely to attend if accepted. Hope it goes to one of you strong applicants still waiting!

Reactions: 3 users
Where's the love AMC. Grew up locally and complete in August. Haven't heard a thing.

I'm going to be withdrawing my application due to financial reasons. Best of luck to all!

Reactions: 1 users
Received an interview recently but will most likely be turning it down (complete early to mid August, LizzyM 70-73). Wouldn't want to take away the opportunity from someone who really wants to go here when I'm unlikely to attend if accepted. Hope it goes to one of you strong applicants still waiting!
If you don't mind me asking, what are the reasons you are turning it down?

does anyone know which interview dates were the latest to hear back? early to mid december ones?

interested in sharing hotel cost with anyone interested pm me

Any recent pulls from the UC list? Interviewed back in October...

Withdrew my application this morning. Hope my interview goes to one of you!

Ahh Accepted this morning, first one too! Interviewed 1/4/17 and absolutely loved everything about Albany Med!! :soexcited:

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
UC today...interviewed the week before Christmas! Hoping this turns into an acceptance one day

Ahh Accepted this morning! Interviewed 1/4/17 and absolutely loved everything about Albany Med!! Will be matriculating here for sure!!! :soexcited:

Congrats! Surprised at how quick they are reviewing. 1/5 here and they told us 3-4 weeks.

Congrats! Surprised at how quick they are reviewing. 1/5 here and they told us 3-4 weeks.
Thank you :) Yeah I was too! They told us it could be up to 5-6 weeks because of the holidays so I was shocked to find an acceptance in my inbox this morning.

Yeah no kidding. I interviewed 12/6 and they were saying they wouldn't let anybody know until after the new year thanks to the holiday season. They let me know in 2 weeks.

UC. Interviewed 1/5.

Does anyone know when to expect the most UC movement? Do they do mostly after all interviews are done in April or throughout the cycle in bits and pieces?

Does anyone know when to expect the most UC movement? Do they do mostly after all interviews are done in April or throughout the cycle in bits and pieces?

They told us mainly during and after April.

They told us mainly during and after April.
thats what i expected...FWIW, i was bored and was browsing last years thread and there was bit of movement in mid Feb!

EDIT: and a little movement in mid march! hoping for the best haha

Last edited:
OH MY GOSH, just got an acceptance email this morning! Interviewed 1/12, not even 2 weeks ago!!

Reactions: 10 users
II
Complete 09/07
OOS LM 68

Similar situation ^ II. Complete 09/08. OOS LM 69ish
So excited :)