2016-2017 Cleveland Clinic (Lerner) Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Questions for any interviewers.

Did anyone bring a print out for discussing their research? I know they ask in-depth questions about your research and I was wondering if it would be helpful to have a mini poster to talk about it. Or if that would be odd/off-base?

Also wondering if anyone knows or would be able to explain what the "group activity" is like?
 
I don't think bringing an image would be helpful, and it may be a bit awkward to just have it around somewhere and pull it out if/when they ask you a question. I personally felt the questions about my research were fair and not terribly specific. Mostly, be ready to answer questions such as what was the purpose/hypothesis of the research and how you tackled it. Well, that's my experience anyway.

Group activities are simulated PBL (problem-based-learning) sessions to see how you feel about the main educational format of CCLCM. You'll discuss some sort of scenario with your interview group.
 
Did anyone else on the alternate list get contacted by CCLCM students asking them if they have any questions about the program. A couple of my interviewed friends received these e-mails but I did not, even though I am also on the alternate list. just curious.
 
Did anyone else on the alternate list get contacted by CCLCM students asking them if they have any questions about the program. A couple of my interviewed friends received these e-mails but I did not, even though I am also on the alternate list. just curious.
I did not
 
Questions for any interviewers.

Did anyone bring a print out for discussing their research? I know they ask in-depth questions about your research and I was wondering if it would be helpful to have a mini poster to talk about it. Or if that would be odd/off-base?

Also wondering if anyone knows or would be able to explain what the "group activity" is like?

I brought a small portfolio of my research, at the recommendation of my PI. Saw a couple other applicants do the same. I'm hoping it showed me forth as prepared and taking it seriously, not as awkward. Gave me something to leave with interviewers, too, though, and hopefully made me stick out in their mind.

Haven't been rejected yet, so that's something, I guess!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When will second look invitations start going out?

Prob after all 32 have been notified. SL is on 3/30-3/31 so the earlier one is invited to SL, the easier to plan your trip. Note that not all accepted to CCLCM off the WL are invited to SL since only 5-6 (if I remember correctly) are invited that are not in the first 32. This is to avoid giving an applicant false hope. Good luck to everyone. It's getting close to the finish line.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Questions for any interviewers.

Did anyone bring a print out for discussing their research? I know they ask in-depth questions about your research and I was wondering if it would be helpful to have a mini poster to talk about it. Or if that would be odd/off-base?

Also wondering if anyone knows or would be able to explain what the "group activity" is like?
I think this is really a personal decision. I didn't bring any materials regarding my research, nor did anyone else on my interview day, but if it makes you more comfortable, go for it! I think if you feel like it would be an asset, you should bring it. It could also be something good to leave with your interviewers.

That said, I would be careful that you don't give the impression that you don't know your research back to front, or that you aren't comfortable answering questions about it. Again, it's really a matter of personal preference. I would have felt uncomfortable pulling out a poster, and likely would have looked to it to answer questions that I should know the answer to anyhow, but that's just me.

And the group activity is a lot of fun, and not very stressful. As other posters have said, it's just meant to simulate the PBL experience. You don't need any prior knowledge to make it work, so I wouldn't worry about it too much beforehand. You can't really prepare for it. Although the advice is trite, just be yourself!
 
Prob after all 32 have been notified. SL is on 3/30-3/31 so the earlier one is invited to SL, the easier to plan your trip. Note that not all accepted to CCLCM off the WL are invited to SL since only 5-6 (if I remember correctly) are invited that are not in the first 32. This is to avoid giving an applicant false hope. Good luck to everyone. It's getting close to the finish line.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Wait, huh? That doesn't really make sense. What's the point of inviting only a select few to second look if that doesn't carry any advantage in terms of consideration for acceptance?
 
Wait, huh? That doesn't really make sense. What's the point of inviting only a select few to second look if that doesn't carry any advantage in terms of consideration for acceptance?
Because the odds of those few people being pulled off the wait list are so high they may as well have been accepted.
 
I think this is really a personal decision. I didn't bring any materials regarding my research, nor did anyone else on my interview day, but if it makes you more comfortable, go for it! I think if you feel like it would be an asset, you should bring it. It could also be something good to leave with your interviewers.

That said, I would be careful that you don't give the impression that you don't know your research back to front, or that you aren't comfortable answering questions about it. Again, it's really a matter of personal preference. I would have felt uncomfortable pulling out a poster, and likely would have looked to it to answer questions that I should know the answer to anyhow, but that's just me.

And the group activity is a lot of fun, and not very stressful. As other posters have said, it's just meant to simulate the PBL experience. You don't need any prior knowledge to make it work, so I wouldn't worry about it too much beforehand. You can't really prepare for it. Although the advice is trite, just be yourself!

For me, it was less about using it during the interview, and more about looking prepared / showing I'm taking it seriously, and leaving them with something. The portfolio I mentioned was literally just the manuscripts, so they could peruse at their leisure (or more likely not), since there's no way to submit those to the schools as such.
 
For me, it was less about using it during the interview, and more about looking prepared / showing I'm taking it seriously, and leaving them with something. The portfolio I mentioned was literally just the manuscripts, so they could peruse at their leisure (or more likely not), since there's no way to submit those to the schools as such.

But now I'm worrying that I just came off as awkward. I have three interviews next week, so I guess I'll have to think about whether or not I want to bring them this time.
 
But now I'm worrying that I just came off as awkward. I have three interviews next week, so I guess I'll have to think about whether or not I want to bring them this time.
Honestly, seeing as you are neither encouraged nor discouraged to bring one, I think it's fine either way. Don't worry too much about it. If it makes you feel more comfortable, by all means take it. I don't think either makes the difference between the school wanting you or not, the process involves so many other factors already...
 
Because the odds of those few people being pulled off the wait list are so high they may as well have been accepted.

That's correct! The average is about 40-42 accepted yearly to fill a class of 32. So, if you are not in the first 32 and you are one of the 5 or 6 invited to SL, you're very likely to be admitted.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Honestly, seeing as you are neither encouraged nor discouraged to bring one, I think it's fine either way. Don't worry too much about it. If it makes you feel more comfortable, by all means take it. I don't think either makes the difference between the school wanting you or not, the process involves so many other factors already...

Yeah, that's true. I'll probably bring it; it may make me more memorable, and as long as I don't make it awkward, I don't feel like it's inherently that awkward.

I don't typically stress with interviews, but at the same time, it seems like an arbitrary way to make a final decision. What one interviewer may love in an interviewee another may hate, so it's a bit of a crapshoot... I try to just follow the flow, for the most part. But it is getting late in the season, so I'm starting to get more nervous.
 
Prob after all 32 have been notified. SL is on 3/30-3/31 so the earlier one is invited to SL, the easier to plan your trip. Note that not all accepted to CCLCM off the WL are invited to SL since only 5-6 (if I remember correctly) are invited that are not in the first 32. This is to avoid giving an applicant false hope. Good luck to everyone. It's getting close to the finish line.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile


Adcom101 would you happen to know the difference between this years alternate list as of now versus the people who haven't been rejected but also haven't been offered an alternate list.

I know everyone from before December was "ranked" I guess what I'm wondering is are the people ranked for the higher up spots on the alternate list or are they the people who haven't heard back at all since December?
 
Adcom101 would you happen to know the difference between this years alternate list as of now versus the people who haven't been rejected but also haven't been offered an alternate list.

I know everyone from before December was "ranked" I guess what I'm wondering is are the people ranked for the higher up spots on the alternate list or are they the people who haven't heard back at all since December?
+1
 
Yeah, that's true. I'll probably bring it; it may make me more memorable, and as long as I don't make it awkward, I don't feel like it's inherently that awkward.

I don't typically stress with interviews, but at the same time, it seems like an arbitrary way to make a final decision. What one interviewer may love in an interviewee another may hate, so it's a bit of a crapshoot... I try to just follow the flow, for the most part. But it is getting late in the season, so I'm starting to get more nervous.
I think you should definitely keep bringing it. It sounds like it's worked totally fine for you in the past. Also, sorry if this discussion is making you nervous about having brought it! We certainly didn't mean to psych you out!
 
I think you should definitely keep bringing it. It sounds like it's worked totally fine for you in the past. Also, sorry if this discussion is making you nervous about having brought it! We certainly didn't mean to psych you out!

Lol, no worries. Yesterday was just a stressful day for other reasons, so I was making mountains out of molehills. 😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Adcom101 would you happen to know the difference between this years alternate list as of now versus the people who haven't been rejected but also haven't been offered an alternate list.

I know everyone from before December was "ranked" I guess what I'm wondering is are the people ranked for the higher up spots on the alternate list or are they the people who haven't heard back at all since December?

Everyone who has an active application (i.e. Not rejected) is reranked and # 17-32 are offered the second round of acceptance. #33-37 or maybe up to 40 will be offered a SL visit. I would consider this group the highest tier of the WL and will likely get accepted. Of course, this will depend on the movement of the first 32 accepted. I don't have any information on rank list right now as this will change after 2/9.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Everyone who has an active application (i.e. Not rejected) is reranked and # 17-32 are offered the second round of acceptance. #33-37 or maybe up to 40 will be offered a SL visit. I would consider this group the highest tier of the WL and will likely get accepted. Of course, this will depend on the movement of the first 32 accepted. I don't have any information on rank list right now as this will change after 2/9.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I apologzie if this has already been asked, but how long after acceptances go out might we expect SL invites to go out?

Thank you for answering our neurotic questions!
 
How likely is it for someone who is on the alternate list to be accepted after the second ranking meeting?

Nobody knows how many people are alternate listed or how many people are straight up still in so I think there's no way to tell except it's obviously competitive! I guess just pray the group was cut down since the last meeting so the likelihood is higher


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Nobody knows how many people are alternate listed or how many people are straight up still in so I think there's no way to tell except it's obviously competitive! I guess just pray the group was cut down since the last meeting so the likelihood is higher


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile


@adcom101 What I meant in the original question was during the December ranking meeting were alternate listed people lower on the rank list than people who havent heard back at all like @supernervouspremed said when they said "many people are straight up still in it". I guess for those of us on the alternate list it would be helpful knowing if we are on a higher part of the list or if theres another group of students who havent been rejected that are already voted higher up and we are on an alternate list because they believe we will end up being waitlisted etc.

sorry for all of the questions, I've just been wondering about all of this while we wait for the february ranking meeting.
 
@adcom101 What I meant in the original question was during the December ranking meeting were alternate listed people lower on the rank list than people who havent heard back at all like @supernervouspremed said when they said "many people are straight up still in it". I guess for those of us on the alternate list it would be helpful knowing if we are on a higher part of the list or if theres another group of students who havent been rejected that are already voted higher up and we are on an alternate list because they believe we will end up being waitlisted etc.

sorry for all of the questions, I've just been wondering about all of this while we wait for the february ranking meeting.

While I and others would like to know as well, I believe that adcom101 stated earlier that it didn't make any difference as far as he or she was aware. My guess is that it does mean that those not on the alternate list are lower ranked. Buy who knows? Adcom101 mentioned that things will change as of Feb 9, though, so not much longer and we'll know. Getting down to the wire!
 
While I and others would like to know as well, I believe that adcom101 stated earlier that it didn't make any difference as far as he or she was aware. My guess is that it does mean that those not on the alternate list are lower ranked. Buy who knows? Adcom101 mentioned that things will change as of Feb 9, though, so not much longer and we'll know. Getting down to the wire!
Exactly. And my guess is that adcom101 understood the original question, and either doesn't know the answer or isn't planning on telling us. Besides, at this point, everyone is getting re-ranked on February 7th, and all of the applications will be reviewed again. Since the class at CCLCM is chosen partly based on potential group dynamic, your position before the first 16 were chosen might not be the same as is now, and it will probably change again after the meeting. It's also worth keeping in mind that since CCLCM has fewer slots and fewer interviews than other schools, and reviews all the applications at these big rank meetings, they don't keep people on the alternate list if they aren't seriously considering adding them to the class. Of course, everyone on the list won't make it into the class, but everyone on the list could.

At this point, all we can do is wait (and hope and pray).
 
While I and others would like to know as well, I believe that adcom101 stated earlier that it didn't make any difference as far as he or she was aware. My guess is that it does mean that those not on the alternate list are lower ranked. Buy who knows? Adcom101 mentioned that things will change as of Feb 9, though, so not much longer and we'll know. Getting down to the wire!
Yeah I also think that those alternate-listed are lower ranked. Oh well, if getting a second look invite carries a great chance of being admitted then I'm praying to be fortunate enough to get an invite.
 
Yeah I also think that those alternate-listed are lower ranked. Oh well, if getting a second look invite carries a great chance of being admitted then I'm praying to be fortunate enough to get an invite.
I think neuroguy was actually suggesting that those NOT listed were lower ranked. It's really hard to say. On the one hand, when adcom101 said that more rejections were going out, it seemed to imply that if you hadn't gotten an answer, you might get a rejection rather than an alternate list. On the other hand, the wording of the alternate list email didn't make it seem as though we were high in the rankings.

Ultimately, though, we are all driving ourselves crazy trying to guess where we stand right now, and finding out won't change whether or not you get in. We should all just try to stay cautiously optimistic!
 
I think neuroguy was actually suggesting that those NOT listed were lower ranked. It's really hard to say. On the one hand, when adcom101 said that more rejections were going out, it seemed to imply that if you hadn't gotten an answer, you might get a rejection rather than an alternate list. On the other hand, the wording of the alternate list email didn't make it seem as though we were high in the rankings.

Ultimately, though, we are all driving ourselves crazy trying to guess where we stand right now, and finding out won't change whether or not you get in. We should all just try to stay cautiously optimistic!

Applicants: Stop driving yourself crazy as stated by CCresearcher! Please let me simplify it this way: IF you have not been rejected BEFORE February 9, your application is re-reviewed and re-ranked whether or not you were notified of being on an alternate list. What I am trying to say is even if you have been offered an alternate list spot, it is no "guarantee." If the committee interviewed an excellent number of applicants during the second half of the cycle that they feel would fit the CCLCM profile, they can "jump" or "pass" those currently on the alternate list. So, my point is don't worry if you have not heard about being on the alternate list. If you haven't been rejected, you're still in it. I hope I don't confuse any more applicants. I wish you all the best of luck. I know it is a long process. Be comforted to know that you will end up in a school that you will thrive in.
 
Applicants: Stop driving yourself crazy as stated by CCresearcher!

Thank you so much! Your comment is super clear and I (and I'm sure everyone on this thread) appreciate your time to soothe our nerves. GUYS IT'S GONNA BE OKAY what happens happens and I'm honestly so grateful to not be rejected quite yet. That's such a win for me. Whatever comes about the decision, gotta feel absolutely honored that such an amazing school saw something in us in the first place.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Last edited:
Thank you so much! Your comment is super clear and I (and I'm sure everyone on this thread) appreciate your time to soothe our nerves. GUYS IT'S GONNA BE OKAY what happens happens and I'm honestly so grateful to not be rejected quite yet. That's such a win for me. Whatever comes about the decision, gotta feel absolutely honored that such an amazing school saw something in us in the first place.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Fantastic way to put it. Good luck to everyone!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Yeah I guess there's no point speculating, and hopefully this late in the season we have all been lucky to have some other great acceptances. I will say, this whole "alternate list" thing is clearly causing a lot of confusion. It seems a little silly to me to assign some people to the "Alternate List" when all the acceptances haven't even gone out yet, and meanwhile leave some people sitting with no word at all. I have to wonder what Lerner was really intending by using this process.

It seems to me like the only purpose would be to force people to "opt-in" to further consideration, ie hoping some people winnow themselves out.
 
Just curious, would it be better to send an update letter before the rank meeting or if I get waitlisted after it?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's not possible for an alternate listed candidate to receive a rejection after the next ranking meeting, right?
What I am trying to say is even if you have been offered an alternate list spot, it is no "guarantee." If the committee interviewed an excellent number of applicants during the second half of the cycle that they feel would fit the CCLCM profile, they can "jump" or "pass" those currently on the alternate list.

I think, at least according to adcom101, you can. All the alternate list seems to mean is that you will be reranked in February. Your new ranking could mean that you're rejected, from what I can tell. Even if they don't officially reject us, we can be put near the end of the waitlist rankings, which is for all intents and purposes the same thing.

Either way, we will all find out for sure in a few weeks. Worrying and speculating at this point does no one any good. In the end, some will be in the first 32, some will get in off the waitlist, and some will go to other schools. We will all be fine in the end. I know this is many of our dream schools (it sure is for me), but I think we are all going too far in trying to figure out every possible outcome and analyzing adcom101's posts line by line. I realized this weekend that every time I check this page (which I do obsessively, since again, this is my dream school), I'm making myself more and more anxious. I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

So good luck everyone but cut it out with the stressing! What will come will come, and we'll all know soon enough! We will also all be great doctors, whatever school we attend.
 
ImageUploadedBySDN1486132871.741669.jpg
*OBLIGATORY RANK MEETING SOON MEME*


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile