You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 Cleveland Clinic (Lerner) Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
The ranking meeting should be Tuesday 2/7 correct? Judging by last years thread, those accepted could get calls as soon as next Friday (ONE WEEK) on 2/10!!!!
Unsure but all I know is our fates are being decided very soon! Craaaayyyyyyy
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
The rank meeting is on Tuesday! Fingers crossed for all of us! Trying to send out positive vibes for everyone!Unsure but all I know is our fates are being decided very soon! Craaaayyyyyyy
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In the event that I am accepted, I think my brain will violently explode, immediately killing me and opening a spot for the next person in line.
Well same. Although I'm not getting my hopes up. I've been down that path before and I usually end up disappointing myself. I'm rooting for all you guys!In the event that I am accepted, I think my brain will violently explode, immediately killing me and opening a spot for the next person in line.
Yeah it's hard to expect anything with the odds at this placeWell same. Although I'm not getting my hopes up. I've been down that path before and I usually end up disappointing myself. I'm rooting for all you guys!
See, I'm normally a total pessimist. I've found that you end up just as disappointed in the end, and you're miserable leading up to it. So I've decided full-blown, crazypants optimism is how I'm going to deal with this wait (and not die of anxiety before they even rank us). WE'RE ALL GONNA GET IN AND GET THE FIVE SCHOLARSHIPS THAT COVER LIVING EXPENSES TOO!!! YAY!Well same. Although I'm not getting my hopes up. I've been down that path before and I usually end up disappointing myself. I'm rooting for all you guys!
That's the spirit! I kept telling myself this is too far of a reach. But come on, I did everything I could, till the very end, so I don't regret and wonder "oh had I done this and done that"See, I'm normally a total pessimist. I've found that you end up just as disappointed in the end, and you're miserable leading up to it. So I've decided full-blown, crazypants optimism is how I'm going to deal with this wait (and not die of anxiety before they even rank us). WE'RE ALL GONNA GET IN AND GET THE FIVE SCHOLARSHIPS THAT COVER LIVING EXPENSES TOO!!! YAY!
I gave 'em everything I got. And I trust the admissions committee's decisions. If I don't get in, I probably was a bad fit here anyway.
Exactly! And clearly they saw something in all of us that they liked, since we've made it this far. That in itself is something to be proud of, since this school is so competitive (to get into, and luckily collaborative once you're there).That's the spirit! I kept telling myself this is too far of a reach. But come on, I did everything I could, till the very end, so I don't regret and wonder "oh had I done this and done that"
I gave 'em everything I got. And I trust the admissions committee's decisions. If I don't get in, I probably was a bad fit here anyway.
For all you kids still waiting for a decision to CCLCM but who have acceptances, where are y'all likely headed next year?
You're kind of ruining my optimism plan, NDhopeful. WE ARE ALL GOING HEREFor all you kids still waiting for a decision to CCLCM but who have acceptances, where are y'all likely headed next year?
.
Last edited:
I've been fortunate enough to get into Pitt and Case. So one of those if CCLCM doesn't work out.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Yo congrats on Case! That's incredible. I've only had 2 interviews and I'm 1 for 2 so far (University of Maryland) so I'm super content whichever way this goes! I love everyone's positivity and support on this thread. It really makes the wait so much better~
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
This is really the greatest thread on SDN! You guys rock. I'm likely going to Rush if Lerner doesn't want to love me
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's probably just because everyone who applied to both programs is extremely qualified. They are separate programs, though. One program's decision does not influence the other's decision as well.I got WL from case, which probably does not bode well for my chances at Lerner? Almost everyone I met there had gotten into case
Last edited:
.
Last edited:
I got WL from case, which probably does not bode well for my chances at Lerner? Almost everyone I met there had gotten into case
I actually got rejected from Case but interviewed at Lerner! Funny how that goes
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
+1 🙂I actually got rejected from Case but interviewed at Lerner! Funny how that goes
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Next Tuesday is ranking day. So, it will likely be 7-10 days after that since your PI is first contacted. Good luck to all of you still in the running. I think only 250 were interviewed out of 2000+ that applied to CCLCM. That in itself is an accomplishment. Stay positive even if you're waitlisted. I have a feeling that about half of the first 32 accepted will go elsewhere especially if they get accepted to an MD-PhD program or also get a full scholarship elsewhere that they feel may be a better fit for them. This year's applicant pool was ridiculously super gifted and qualified making it really difficult for the adcom.
Last edited:
If my alternate list status magically turned into an acceptance this is what would happen:
Pitt>>Case, IMO (we could be classmates haha)I've been fortunate enough to get into Pitt and Case. So one of those if CCLCM doesn't work out.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
It's still weird to me that those students on the alternate list get re-voted upon again at the next ranking meeting. I've always wondered why Lerner's idea of the non-permanent waitlist is so different from other schools' waitlists.Next Tuesday is ranking day. So, it will likely be 7-10 days after that since your PI is first contacted. Good luck to all of you still in the running. I think only 250 were interviewed out of 2000+ that applied to CCLCM. That in itself is an accomplishment. Stay positive even if you're waitlisted. I have a feeling that about half of the first 32 accepted will go elsewhere especially if they get accepted to an MD-PhD program or also get a full scholarship elsewhere that they feel may be a better fit for them. This year's applicant pool was ridiculously super gifted and qualified making it really difficult for the adcom.
I think it's because the class size/dynamic is so much more important at a school like Lerner than at a larger, more traditional med school. They need the right number of students to make the group learning work, and I'm sure additionally to be certain of finding research positions for all of the students (since the LRI is fairly small). As such, CCLCM has to be careful not to over-enroll, and to make sure that the students they've chosen can work well together. That's also why they choose the class in those two big chunks, rather than on a more rolling basis like most schools. They have to consider both the individual students, and the group as a whole. The alternate list at this stage is really more like a "hold" at a different school, or the more typical silence until they've made their decision.It's still weird to me that those students on the alternate list get re-voted upon again at the next ranking meeting. I've always wondered why Lerner's idea of the non-permanent waitlist is so different from other schools' waitlists.
My guess is also that we would all feel very differently if the message about the alternate list hadn't been worded the way it was. The email people got last year just seemed so much more encouraging. But I also bet that's why they used different language this time around--didn't want to give everyone false hope.It's still weird to me that those students on the alternate list get re-voted upon again at the next ranking meeting. I've always wondered why Lerner's idea of the non-permanent waitlist is so different from other schools' waitlists.
Yeah last year it was a hold email rather than a waitlist email. I just wonder why some people haven't got rejected but didn't get the waitlist status...My guess is also that we would all feel very differently if the message about the alternate list hadn't been worded the way it was. The email people got last year just seemed so much more encouraging. But I also bet that's why they used different language this time around--didn't want to give everyone false hope.
That's true. Well let's cross our fingers that we get second look invites!I think it's because the class size/dynamic is so much more important at a school like Lerner than at a larger, more traditional med school. They need the right number of students to make the group learning work, and I'm sure additionally to be certain of finding research positions for all of the students (since the LRI is fairly small). As such, CCLCM has to be careful not to over-enroll, and to make sure that the students they've chosen can work well together. That's also why they choose the class in those two big chunks, rather than on a more rolling basis like most schools. They have to consider both the individual students, and the group as a whole. The alternate list at this stage is really more like a "hold" at a different school, or the more typical silence until they've made their decision.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You do realize we could still be straight up accepted at this point, right? The alternate list means they're still considering our applications. So aim higher with your dreams!That's true. Well let's cross our fingers that we get second look invites!
Yeah last year it was a hold email rather than a waitlist email. I just wonder why some people haven't got rejected but didn't get the waitlist status...
I feel like the whole thing with the alternate list/silence has just totally messed with all of our heads. Especially because I specifically asked at my interview, and I was told that everyone would get an answer in mid-December no matter what, and that the options were accpeted, rejected, or hold until February. So....who knows? This whole process is so stressful and confusing.
Also true. Regardless we all have acceptances! Let's toast to the fact we're all going to be doctorsYou do realize we could still be straight up accepted at this point, right? The alternate list means they're still considering our applications. So aim higher with your dreams!
I feel like the whole thing with the alternate list/silence has just totally messed with all of our heads. Especially because I specifically asked at my interview, and I was told that everyone would get an answer in mid-December no matter what, and that the options were accpeted, rejected, or hold until February. So....who knows? This whole process is so stressful and confusing.

Also true. Regardless we all have acceptances! Let's toast to the fact we're all going to be doctors![]()
Not me yet, still hoping for a single acceptance or an II to my freaking state school lol. Would love just to go to CCLCM tho...
Yes indeed! We should all be very proud of ourselves!Also true. Regardless we all have acceptances! Let's toast to the fact we're all going to be doctors![]()
Waiting is the worst. I'm sure you'll get an acceptance sooner or later! Best of luck and let us know when you hear good news!Not me yet, still hoping for a single acceptance or an II to my freaking state school lol. Would love just to go to CCLCM tho...
@adcom101, when do the calls to PIs start going out for the people who interviewed in January? The PI whom I'm currently working with will be out of the country all throughout next week for a family emergency. Is this worth mentioning to the admissions office?
This has been mentioned a bunch of times but only the PIs of the accepted applicants will get called. If you do get accepted and your PI can't be reached, I'm sure Dr. Franco will try him/her until she gets a response
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I'm pretty sure the calls start going out the week of the rank meeting, but don't all happen in one day. It can't hurt to send the admissions office an email if you're anxious (they are all very friendly and helpful, and used to dealing with nervous nellies like us), but as supernervouspremed said, I'm sure that Dr. Franco won't decide not to accept you just because your PI is unavailable, and will make sure he/she is contacted eventually.
^I'm already aware of this. But I was interested in finding out whether the PI calls go out the same week of the ranking meeting, or if they occur the following week. If acceptances do go out sometime next week, then I would want to know if my PI's absence is worth bringing up.
As adcom has said before, they're usually around 5 days after the meeting takes place, which would explain why acceptance calls/emails go out about 7-10 days after the calls.
^I'm already aware of this. But I was interested in finding out whether the PI calls go out the same week of the ranking meeting, or if they occur the following week. If acceptances do go out sometime next week, then I would want to know if my PI's absence is worth bringing up.
Edited to delete: nvm, went through the thread and found my answer 🙂
It's ranking day everyone 






How I feel atm about our impending fate:
Is everyone else intently staring at their phones and jumping at small noises, in spite of knowing that the rank meeting is still happening and we won't hear for a week anyhow? Or is that just me?
I'm mostly just discontent with the fact that I could potentially still get rejected even after being alternate listed. Blech.Is everyone else intently staring at their phones and jumping at small noises, in spite of knowing that the rank meeting is still happening and we won't hear for a week anyhow? Or is that just me?
Fair point
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@adcom101 told us, and historically the ranking meeting on february was always on a tuesday.How do you guys know for sure that today is the day we get ranked? Is this based on previous cycles? I do not remember getting this information during my interview?
Thank you!@adcom101 told us, and historically the ranking meeting on february was always on a tuesday.
Does anyone know how they choose which PI to contact (if we have multiple)?
Does anyone know how they choose which PI to contact (if we have multiple)?
I would guess they would choose by either 1) most recent or 2) longest experience.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
It's also probably safe to say that they'll contact whatever PI oversaw the research you wrote about in your secondary. Not sure if they contact more than one if you wrote about multiple projects.I would guess they would choose by either 1) most recent or 2) longest experience.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile