2016-2017 Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't know about y'all but I've completely convinced myself I'm in for the axe at every school I've interviewed at that releases decisions in the coming weeks!
Goodluck to everyone, my ability to focus on any of my work over the past few weeks has gradually declined to near zero and my checking sdn every 2-minutes has increased 10,000-fold.

I am glad I am not the only one :D

Members don't see this ad.

2014-15: Feb 11-12
2015-16: Feb 11-12

I am assuming it will be the same this year
The 11th and 12th this year are Saturday and Sunday so I bet it will be shortly before or after that weekend

Don't know about y'all but I've completely convinced myself I'm in for the axe at every school I've interviewed at that releases decisions in the coming weeks!
Goodluck to everyone, my ability to focus on any of my work over the past few weeks has gradually declined to near zero and my checking sdn every 2-minutes has increased 10,000-fold.

Our mindsets are identical twins.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
You joke, but I actually did this.....

I feel ya, we should have gotten burner phones and new email addresses for the application cycle to avoid all the false alarms from our regular phones and email accounts :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
The 11th and 12th this year are Saturday and Sunday so I bet it will be shortly before or after that weekend

Yeah, I agree. I literally marked Feb 10 "Columbia's Day". LOL

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I agree. I literally marked Feb 10 "Columbia's Day". LOL

My Columbia decision dictates whether I have to continue with my Organic Chemistry II night class. I desperately want to get in, but I also would drop it immediately if I am rejected.
Of course the deadline for any sort of refund is 2/9, lolz

That's my birthday week - so, legally, they have to accept me, right??

Last edited:
That's my birthday week - so, legally, they have to accept me, right??
They better!

In all seriousness, I'm super confident that they'll accept you (pretty sure we interviewed on the same day and all my fellow interviewees were amazing!)

Last edited:
They better!

In all seriousness, I'm super confident that they'll accept you (pretty sure we interviewed on the same day and all my fellow interviewees were amazing!)

I hope so!! Haha if we were there the same day, I loved our group! I just want to go to school with all of y'all!! Pretty plz

Last edited:
I hope so!! Haha if we were there the same day, I loved our group! I just want to go to school with all of y'all!! Pretty plz
Same, it would definitely be a great next four years!

Just got the check your contact information email, it low key has a rejected tone to it lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the email an hour ago an interviewed in October. That first sentence made my heart sink, what a friend zone sentence "Thank you for interviewing..."
Wait, your email seems to be slightly different from mine. I received an email yesterday, and it started with "Thank you for your application to.." Did anyone else get this version of the email?

jesus christ

Reactions: 9 users
Wait, your email seems to be slightly different from mine. I received an email yesterday, and it started with "Thank you for your application to.." Did anyone else get this version of the email?

I got the "thank you for your application..."email

the neuroticism in this thread... guys the adcoms don't meet until after all interviews are done.

the neuroticism in this thread... guys the adcoms don't meet until after all interviews are done.

Let's take this comment as an opportunity to use this thread for what it really is: neurotics anonymous

Hello, my name is Woodbro Chillson and I'm a neurotic med school applicant.

Reactions: 5 users
Sorry I wrote that wrong. mine also said "Thank you for your application to Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons. We are nearing the end of our application review and will soon notify applicants of our decisions." I didn't mean to start a panic!

Visiting this thread reminds me of how nerve-wracking this time of year was for me. Hang in there guys, you are in the home stretch. Try to picture where you will be a year from now and realize that all of you will be living out your dreams, studying medicine, building lifelong friendships, and rocking your well deserved white coats.

To the pessimists who don't picture this at P&S because you are concerned you won't get in, I'll just say that there is significant wait-list movement. So it's not over in February. Spare some of your nerves because the wild ride continues through the rest of winter, spring, and into the summer.

Reactions: 7 users
Visiting this thread reminds me of how nerve-wracking this time of year was for me. Hang in there guys, you are in the home stretch. Try to picture where you will be a year from now and realize that all of you will be living out your dreams, studying medicine, building lifelong friendships, and rocking your well deserved white coats.
I want to frame this, it's beautiful

Do you guys think they've made the decisions already, or are still going over them?

Any ideas on what date they might release?

The past two years it was February 11/12. That's a weekend this year so we're not sure what they'll do. I like to imagine they won't literally send out rejections on Valentine's Day... so I'm going to optimistically predict February 9/10.

Well...on February 5th last year they emailed applicants asking them to double check their info etc because decisions will be released soon. We got that email on January 23rd-ish this year...so maybe we'll hear even sooner than February 10th?

Reactions: 5 users
Well...on February 5th last year they emailed applicants asking them to double check their info etc because decisions will be released soon. We got that email on January 23rd-ish this year...so maybe we'll hear even sooner than February 10th?

I love the optimism lmaoo

Reactions: 2 users
Conspiracy theory: since rejections and waitlists are released the day after acceptances, maybe those who received the email yesterday will be accepted and those who received the email today will be rejected or waitlisted

jk
not to bring this neuroticism up again (lol) but I got it on the second day and my last name starts with W. My ~conspiracy theory~ is that they were sent out alphabetically

Nah bruh, I got it on the second day, and both my last names starts with an A lol

Conspiracy theory: since rejections and waitlists are released the day after acceptances, maybe those who received the email yesterday will be accepted and those who received the email today will be rejected or waitlisted

jk

On first day, Admissions sent it to everyone who's accepted, then the next day someone came on to SDN, saw people starting to freak out and thought "oh **** we should probably send it to everyone so there's no pattern"

;)

The email was completely impersonal and it had no congratulatory words in it. I've gotten emails from other schools that have been suggestive of 'interest' and this was nothing like them. I'm sorry for bringing this up to begin with because I highly highly doubt the email is at all meaningful. At least, I don't feel any reassurance for having gotten it, but that's probably easier for me to say... anyway, good luck everyone

Along the lines of "interest" note, did anyone's thank you email from the Dean talk about the admission committee keeping "you very strongly in mind"? Or was that a generic statement?

Along the lines of "interest" note, did anyone's thank you email from the Dean talk about the admission committee keeping "you very strongly in mind"? Or was that a generic statement?

I think it's generic. I sent two thank you notes and got two identical emails.

Ah that sucks, I thought because he mentioned my interviewer by her name that it might have been personal. Grasping for straws haha

I don't think everyone got an email from the dean (I didn't at least) so it might have been personal

Ah that sucks, I thought because he mentioned my interviewer by her name that it might have been personal. Grasping for straws haha
yep i was super stoked when i got that but then I realized everyone else probably also gets the whole "thank you for ___, [something about interviewer], keep you strongly in mind" email for submitting the thank you letter

Did anyone else's thank you note responses close with a sentence "...from a purely personal point of view..."

Yes. It seems to be a form letter.

Dr. Nicholas wasn't at my Interview day because he was sick. My interviewer's response was great. Then this thing showed up in my email 6 weeks later.
looks like there are two versions of the email, one that has the "from a purely personal point of view" at the end and one that doesn't.

hey everyone i know it's an anxious time for a lot of people but i don't think we should read into all this letter wording and timing- pretty sure it has no bearing on the decisions whatsoever. let's all try to relax for the next couple wks!

SDN comparing the wording of update letter receipts like

giphy.gif

Reactions: 2 users