2016-2017 Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From the Morningside Heights Campus, as referenced above, the 1 is faster. It's not only "faster," it's the only line that stops at 116th.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Not to knit pick but I think the A stops at 116th when it's going local

Members don't see this ad.

Not to knit pick but I think the A stops at 116th when it's going local

You're not knit picking, but you aren't right either.

The blue line stops on the other side of morning side park. If you've ever seen morning side park, you know that nobody in their right mind would walk there from the morningside heights campus instead of the 1.

Reactions: 1 users
Any advice for interview day from those who have already interviewed? I'm scheduled to interview early next month.

This was by far the least stressful interview I have had on the trail

Members don't see this ad :)

The blue line stops on the other side of morning side park. If you've ever seen morning side park, you know that nobody in their right mind would walk there from the morningside heights campus instead of the 1.

The A stops on 116th and Central Park west when it's not express. It actually might stop there when it's express but I'm not 100% sure I usually don't go up there. The 1 also stops at 116th but on broadway...both converge to the same stop at 168th though obviously

The A stops on 116th and Central Park west when it's not express. It actually might stop there when it's express but I'm not 100% sure I usually don't go up there. The 1 also stops at 116th but on broadway...both converge to the same stop at 168th though obviously

I went to Columbia. I lived. On Central Park west. The blue line is about three/four blocks and about 200 stairs away from the Columbia campus.

You can take whatever train you want but NOBODY takes the blue lines from the Columbia undergrad campus to the medical campus. The 1 is literally on the border of the campus.

Reactions: 3 users
what are the chances of a LizzyM 73/74 with LIGHT research. I have nothing fancy, no published papers, and only about a year and a half in a lab.

do they pick people with like >4 years of research with publications or do you still have a chance with lighter research?

what are the chances of a LizzyM 73/74 with LIGHT research. I have nothing fancy, no published papers, and only about a year and a half in a lab.

do they require like 4 years of research with publications or do you still have a chance with lighter research?

I talked to a philosophy major MS2 at P&S with very, very little research. It's possible.

Reactions: 1 user

do they pick people with like >4 years of research with publications or do you still have a chance with lighter research?

I have no research whatsoever and got an II, but suspect I'm like a 4th round draft pick for them so we'll see what the result is.

Reactions: 3 users
I have no research whatsoever and got an II, but suspect I'm like a 4th round draft pick for them so we'll see what the result is.

LOL 4th round draft pick... I love the analogy lol

But honestly, getting an interview from a school like columbia is an incredible honor. And they gave you an interview because they saw something in your written application. Now just show them how awesome you are in person :) Good luck!

This is purely anecdotal, but during my interview here, we mostly just talked about my (artistic) hobby and my volunteering experience. I was not asked about my research at all. Most of the students seemed very involved in extracurricular pursuits, most of which were in the arts (theatre, music, dance, visual, etc), so I feel like Columbia likes smart, artsy people. I'm sure most students did research prior to matriculation , but the school doesn't seem to "require" it like many other top schools (Pitt, Penn, Hopkins, Stanford, etc).

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

LOL 4th round draft pick... I love the analogy lol

But honestly, getting an interview from a school like columbia is an incredible honor. And they gave you an interview because they saw something in your written application. Now just show them how awesome you are in person :) Good luck!

Gave me an interview... 5 months after I was complete :p I'll take it though.

This is purely anecdotal, but during my interview here, we mostly just talked about my (artistic) hobby and my volunteering experience. I was not asked about my research at all. Most of the students seemed very involved in extracurricular pursuits, most of which were in the arts (theatre, music, dance, visual, etc), so I feel like Columbia likes smart, artsy people. I'm sure most students did research prior to matriculation , but the school doesn't seem to "require" it like many other top schools (Pitt, Penn, Hopkins, Stanford, etc).

+1 I had the same exact experience!

I fully trust that the admins at P&S are humanists. They have a really great narrative medicine program and the care a lot about the humanities. As long as you're not super socially wonky, I think you're probably in legit consideration.

Members don't see this ad :)

I agree strongly with this. Ive done tons of research and we spoke mainly of the current political climate and the role of medicine/the university.

The discussion above was about how to get to the medical center from LGA. It is definitely faster to take the A from 125th (as you said originally) than to stay on the M60 to Morningside and then take the 1. If BROTUS was suggesting that it's faster to take the 1 from 116th than the A from 125th, the person interviewing is gonna have a bad time.

Well I guess that just might be the confusion. BROTUS was talking in context of taking the M60 to the undergrad campus and then going to the medical campus. In which case, the 1 is absolutely faster.

Anyways, there is no subjectivity here and we're clogging up the thread. LGA->P&S, M60 to the A is the best way. LGA->Morning Side Campus->P&S, M60 to undergrad campus, 1 to P&S is the best way.

Done. Finito. Now, let's get back to talking about the school. It's an awesome one!

Reactions: 2 users
Well I guess that just might be the confusion. BROTUS was talking in context of taking the M60 to the undergrad campus and then going to the medical campus. In which case, the 1 is absolutely faster.

Anyways, there is no subjectivity here and we're clogging up the thread. LGA->P&S, M60 to the A is the best way. LGA->Morning Side Campus->P&S, M60 to undergrad campus, 1 to P&S is the best way.

Done. Finito. Now, let's get back to talking about the school. It's an awesome one!

Couldn't have said it better. Can't wait to interview!!

Sincerely,
A passionate new yorker

Facts.

I'm a current undergrad here and I also interviewed, and yes to the arts!! I've had science classes that made extra credit be to attend some art function or show, but no one was even forced to go because the majority of us already went to tons of artsy events. Everyone here knows someone majoring in the arts, so weekends are filled with cool eclectic art shows and performance art stuff, and of course the usual stuff like the MET and MOMA. It's such a fun city, and there is literally something for everyone!

I'm a current undergrad here and I also interviewed, and yes to the arts!! I've had science classes that made extra credit be to attend some art function or show, but no one was even forced to go because the majority of us already went to tons of artsy events. Everyone here knows someone majoring in the arts, so weekends are filled with cool eclectic art shows and performance art stuff, and of course the usual stuff like the MET and MOMA. It's such a fun city, and there is literally something for everyone!

Also did my undergrad at Columbia and my interview consisted of talking about philosophy, the history of the western literary canon, and medical marijuana.

Hey everyone,

For those of you that have already interviewed, Dean Nichols sent a thank you letter for updates asking for an update in January. Any ideas about what this letter should include? Would this be an appropriate time to send a letter of intent affirming Columbia as a first choice or is that generally sent after wait lists. Thanks!

Hey everyone,

For those of you that have already interviewed, Dean Nichols sent a thank you letter for updates asking for an update in January. Any ideas about what this letter should include? Would this be an appropriate time to send a letter of intent affirming Columbia as a first choice or is that generally sent after wait lists. Thanks!

Can you give more details on the letter? I have no knowledge of it...

Can you give more details on the letter? I have no knowledge of it...

Its like a generic Thank you note from Dean Nichols in response to our own Thank you notes to our interviewers. There is a line in there that mentions if you have any updates, you should send them to columbia before mid-february so it can help them make their decisions

Its like a generic Thank you note from Dean Nichols in response to our own Thank you notes to our interviewers. There is a line in there that mentions if you have any updates, you should send them to columbia before mid-february so it can help them make their decisions

Only some letters have that line, not all. It only asks for an update not a LOI, but I don't see the harm in expressing that it is your first choice, as long as you don't say that to any other school. AdComs talk, and if you send that to more than one school and someone finds out, you will seem disingenuous.

Gotcha. I interviewed fairly recently, so maybe there hasn't been enough time. Snail mail or email?

Gotcha. I interviewed fairly recently, so maybe there hasn't been enough time. Snail mail or email?
We upload our letters to the portal, and Dean Nicholas's response will come via an email from the admissions staff with a PDF containing his response. Usually takes a few weeks for him to respond, I believe.

We upload our letters to the portal, and Dean Nicholas's response will come via an email from the admissions staff with a PDF containing his response. Usually takes a few weeks for him to respond, I believe.

On top of that, I sent physical thank you notes. I'm not expecting anything quick.

Lol I love SDN's obsession with thank you letters

P&S admissions staff specifically said to upload a picture of your thank you notes to the portal if you snail mail them, I just wanted to make sure BadNewsBears2016 was aware of that

P&S admissions staff specifically said to upload a picture of your thank you notes to the portal if you snail mail them, I just wanted to make sure BadNewsBears2016 was aware of that

I know, I'm just noting the significant portion of this thread dedicating to discussing thank you notes.

still giving out II's or nah?

Reactions: 2 users

I'll check, but I think that they said to send a copy to them if you sent the thank you to your interviewer directly. I took this to be in the purpose of having knowledge of all communications. I sent a packet to the office of admissions to be dispersed by them. I believed that to be within their guidelines.

I'll check my document about TYs when I get home if nobody else does already.

I'll check, but I think that they said to send a copy to them if you sent the thank you to your interviewer directly. I took this to be in the purpose of having knowledge of all communications. I sent a packet to the office of admissions to be dispersed by them. I believed that to be within their guidelines.

I'll check my document about TYs when I get home if nobody else does already.

Yeah I'm sure that's perfectly fine too!

This is potentially silly but I interviewed in September and never received a response to my thank you letter. Did anyone else have trouble uploading it on the portal? There was no confirmation of a successful submission or anything. I'm only concerned because I have an update letter and I don't want that to get lost as well.

This is potentially silly but I interviewed in September and never received a response to my thank you letter. Did anyone else have trouble uploading it on the portal? There was no confirmation of a successful submission or anything. I'm only concerned because I have an update letter and I don't want that to get lost as well.

I received an email that said: "Your recently uploaded application updates have been successfully received. Thank you for your continued interest in P&S." a few days after I uploaded documents to the portal.

I received an email that said: "Your recently uploaded application updates have been successfully received. Thank you for your continued interest in P&S." a few days after I uploaded documents to the portal.

Okay, that makes me sad lol

I guess mine never uploaded? :(

I mean I also sent it directly to my interviewer so I am not that worried about the thank you, but more about the updates in general

Okay, that makes me sad lol

I guess mine never uploaded? :(

I mean I also sent it directly to my interviewer so I am not that worried about the thank you, but more about the updates in general
You might want to just email your update to the admissions staff in addition to uploading it to the portal just to be safe!

For the Bassett program it says they usually make 5 offers in December, and 5 in late January, if we don't hear in these groups and are waitlisted, will we be considered for the regular track?

Is there anyone else interviewing next week that hasn't heard anything yet about hosting? I filled out the survey more than a month ago...I'm thinking the holidays might have put everything off out of whack office-wise.

Is there anyone else interviewing next week that hasn't heard anything yet about hosting? I filled out the survey more than a month ago...I'm thinking the holidays might have put everything off out of whack office-wise.

I was in the exact same boat 2 weeks ago, and never did hear from hosting even after trying to follow up via the hosting email provided. I ended up staying at Bard Hall, which is a nice option that they offer for $40/night. It is also not far from the Roy and Diana Vagelos Center, where the interview will be. My room also had a nice view of the George Washington Bridge.

Second years are starting clinical year then and first years might not be back yet, so hang in there! I would email again maybe Thursday or so of this week if you haven't heard anything by then.

The $40 bard hall option is also very solid if you can't find a host, and it's literally a 1 minute walk from there to the building where you'll have your interview.

I'm confused by the people who said they got a PDF response from Dr. Nicholas. I sent my letters to y individual interviewers and uploaded to the portal. I only received an email that said the "recently uploaded updates have been successfully received. Thank you for your continued interest" but no mention of dr Nicholas or when to send updates? I interviewed in October

For the Bassett program it says they usually make 5 offers in December, and 5 in late January, if we don't hear in these groups and are waitlisted, will we be considered for the regular track?
Bassett and regular MD applications are reviewed independently - so, yup!

Has anyone who applied PhD to MD program heard anything??

FYI the hosting coordinator just returned to office today, so she was able to find me a host this morning, just in case anyone else is waiting too! I'd send an email just to the hosting email address just to make sure she's aware you need a host.

Has anyone who applied PhD to MD program heard anything??

Nope, haven't heard anything and no II. I was complete really late, one day before the deadline.

Does anyone know the last date of interviews?