2016-2017 Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do we have any idea when they stop sending II?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last year it was early/mid January I think

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
You say 'hyothetically'...so you're speculating someone who was offered an early interview has a higher likelihood of getting an acceptance than someone who was offered an interview later on in the cycle. I know this is true at schools with rolling admission (Michigan etc) but has this actually been confirmed at non-rolling schools like Columbia?

I'm saying time shouldn't matter. I doubt you'll be able to confirm or refute this. Just nail your interview and be hopeful.

Reactions: 1 user
That would imply that they send out interviews in a random order, but adcoms on here have confirmed that schools send out invites in rough order of competitiveness. I very much doubt that Columbia is the only school that doesn't follow this pattern. Schools interview the best candidates first, so the acceptance rate for interviews will definitely drop over time whether rolling or nonrolling.

Members don't see this ad :)
That would imply that they send out interviews in a random order, but adcoms on here have confirmed that schools send out invites in rough order of competitiveness. I very much doubt that Columbia is the only school that doesn't follow this pattern. Schools interview the best candidates first, so the acceptance rate for interviews will definitely drop over time whether rolling or nonrolling.
How do you define competitiveness? I applied mid-August and received one of the earliest IIs from Columbia (within a few weeks of being complete), but my stats are below average for this school.

How do you define competitiveness? I applied mid-August and received one of the earliest IIs from Columbia (within a few weeks of being complete), but my stats are below average for this school.

High stats does not necessarily mean competitive. I'm LizzyM 80 but I've seen people on SDN that have been wayyyyyyy more successful than me with LizzyM 70-75

High stats does not necessarily mean competitive. I'm LizzyM 80 but I've seen people on SDN that have been wayyyyyyy more successful than me with LizzyM 70-75
Right but how would a school screen for anything but stats right at the beginning when determining whose apps to review first for early interviews?

Right but how would a school screen for anything but stats right at the beginning when determining whose apps to review first for early interviews?

What? They don't send emails without reading your app lol. If you got an invite it was because they liked your entire app. I don't know of any schools that interview purely based on stats.

What? They don't send emails without reading your app lol. If you got an invite it was because they liked your entire app. I don't know of any schools that interview purely based on stats.
Oh I know haha I'm not saying anyone would invite applicants solely based on stats. When you said that schools invite the more competitive applicants early, I assumed you also meant that competitive applicants are reviewed early/quickly (which seems to be the consensus from adcoms on SDN). With my mediocre stats (for P&S) and still such a quick II, even before thousands of much more qualified applicants with better stats who applied earlier, it seems like the order in which they review apps can't be chronological. That means they either screen for factors other than stats when prioritizing applicants for early review, or the process has a bit more randomness to it than we realize.

I don't think worrying about something you have no way of controlling (i.e. when you got your invite vs. how much it matters) is a productive use of time or good for anyone's sanity. Worry about what you'll say at your interview, whether or not you want to send an update letter, and keeping your head on straight as you go through this grind of an application cycle.

You're all going to do great :)

Reactions: 2 users
I submitted a post-interview update a while ago, but just realized I never looked into how such things are supposed to be done. I simply wrote up a little paragraph on my new volunteer experience, with a title that said what I was doing and the dates of this new activity (basically like I would for an AMCAS activity). I was about to submit another update about an honorary I was inducted into, but am kind of freaking out. Was I supposed to write up a formal letter?! Or is a straight-to-the-point update like I did previously acceptable?

I submitted a post-interview update a while ago, but just realized I never looked into how such things are supposed to be done. I simply wrote up a little paragraph on my new volunteer experience, with a title that said what I was doing and the dates of this new activity (basically like I would for an AMCAS activity). I was about to submit another update about an honorary I was inducted into, but am kind of freaking out. Was I supposed to write up a formal letter?! Or is a straight-to-the-point update like I did previously acceptable?

I don't think it really matters either way

Members don't see this ad :)
II. I guess this means now I have to take Orgo2 with lab this spring? Was planning to blast through a labless online class and then go vacation from March->July :mad:

Anybody else in this situation and know of any good accelerated options?

Last edited:
I was complete in July and got one today so... Apparently not.

you are giving me hope. Also complete in July and everyday hoping to get that email from columbia

Reactions: 3 users
you are giving me hope. Also complete in July and everyday hoping to get that email from columbia

909058d9f0ba7dc6c70ed8378c1aa2c1.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
II this morning! Complete mid-september, and sent an update a couple weeks ago. Can't wait to check it out!!

II this morning! Complete mid-september, and sent an update a couple weeks ago. Can't wait to check it out!!

Congrats!
may i ask when you sent in the update? i was also complete mid-july and am hoping for good news...

Could somebody who has attended an interview at P&S recently PM me please? I would greatly appreciate it!

Congrats!
may i ask when you sent in the update? i was also complete mid-july and am hoping for good news...

I sent it November 29th. Good luck to you!!

Is Columbia receptive to ITA?

I sent them an ITA email 2 weeks before an interview in mid-November and they replied, adding the ITA email to my file, but it didn't really sound like they expedited the review process for me, so I just finally got an II. So it seems like they are receptive to it, but you may have better luck if you notify them well in advance of when you will be ITA.

II today, complete 08/03, LizzyM ~74, international applicant but went to college in the US. Very happy about it, look forward to my interview!!

Does the student hosting program inform you as to whether or not a student host is available? I submitted the online hosting request form a few weeks ago, but have yet to hear back. My interview date is a week from today. I emailed [email protected] earlier today. I am a bit reluctant to call admissions because hosting appears to be student-run.

Does the student hosting program inform you as to whether or not a student host is available? I submitted the online hosting request form a few weeks ago, but have yet to hear back. My interview date is a week from today. I emailed [email protected] earlier today. I am a bit reluctant to call admissions because hosting appears to be student-run.

The portal says they do. I didn't get a host before my interview and wasn't notified there was no availability even though I submitted the request well in advance so I assume they're just busy. It would have been nice to actually been told though.

Would love to get some love from P&S. A little piece of my heart breaks every day that I don't hear from them. *sigh*
Roar Lion!

For anyone who has been to CUMC, would you recommend getting there by taking the bus or subway from La Guardia? Thank you!

Last edited:
For anyone who has been to CUMC, would you recommend getting there by taking the bus or subway from La Guardia? Thank you!

Take the M60 bus to 125th and Frederick Douglas, transfer to the A train going uptown and get off on the 168th street exit ;)

Any advice for interview day from those who have already interviewed? I'm scheduled to interview early next month.

Any advice for interview day from those who have already interviewed? I'm scheduled to interview early next month.

Super cliche, but just relax and try to enjoy yourself. That'll get you as far as you'll need. This was such a great interview day!

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat it up more.

It was a relaxed day overall so just stay relaxed. You won't know what time your interview is until you get there so be prepared to interview in the morning or afternoon. Take advantage of the opportunity to sit in on a lecture if you get the chance.

No opinion, this is truth!

To original poster: Sorry to butt in here/split hairs, but the A is significantly faster for this route than the 1, as long as it's not late at night. It's an express train until 11 PM - the 1 is not express.

Also, if you take the 1 to 168th St, you have to drag your stuff up additional stairs and an elevator from the lower level - the A just has one set of stairs.

To original poster: Sorry to butt in here/split hairs, but the A is significantly faster for this route than the 1, as long as it's not late at night. It's an express train until 11 PM - the 1 is not express.

Also, if you take the 1 to 168th St, you have to drag your stuff up additional stairs and an elevator from the lower level - the A just has one set of stairs.

From the Morningside Heights Campus, as referenced above, the 1 is faster. It's not only "faster," it's the only line that stops at 116th.