2016-2017 Creighton University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1 and it wasn't very nice

Yeah that was quite the rejection email. Don't mind the rejection itself, but they were harsh haha

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Rejected. Lmao seemed kinda harsh, "After a thorough examination of your credentials, the Committee has found it necessary to decline your application." Oh well, best of luck to the rest of you moving forward.

Reactions: 1 user
Rejected pre-II. and yeah who wrote that rejection letter and thought it was good enough to use as the template for every rejection lolol

Members don't see this ad :)
they have found it necessary to reject me too

I got the rejection letter, too..I was about to send an update email...:/

Well at least I was rejected before I filled out my march madness bracket. Out of spite I picked Creighton to get upset, and it turned out in my favor.

All jokes aside, I would have loved to interview here but best of luck to you all!

Hey everyone! I was just wondering if Creighton SOM rejects applicants post-interview or if everyone gets onto the alternate list (waitlist)?
Additionally, I was also wondering about how many people make up that alternate list and how likely it is for Creighton to pull people of that waitlist in late April/May? I know it depends on how many spots they need to fill, but will they at least accept a couple people off the list once April/May comes around? Any information is much appreciated :)

Hey everyone! I was just wondering if Creighton SOM rejects applicants post-interview or if everyone gets onto the alternate list (waitlist)?
Additionally, I was also wondering about how many people make up that alternate list and how likely it is for Creighton to pull people of that waitlist in late April/May? I know it depends on how many spots they need to fill, but will they at least accept a couple people off the list once April/May comes around? Any information is much appreciated :)

What are my chances of getting in off the waitlist?
  • So 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 were bad years for the waitlist. The classes got overfilled, and I’m pretty sure no one got in off the list. BUT in 2015-2016, a ton of people got in off the list (probably because they were trying to make sure the classes didn’t get overfilled again). I don’t know what strategy they’ll be going with this year, but of the ~8 ish people I personally knew on the waitlist last year all got in.

Members don't see this ad :)

They do not reject anyone after interview! Just accept or waitlist

Reactions: 1 users
Any recommendations on at what point in time incoming students should start apartment hunting/get a lease signed?

Any recommendations on at what point in time incoming students should start apartment hunting/get a lease signed?

I would also like to know about this! Are there deadlines for when leases need to be signed before moving into them, or is it just sign as they are available? I wouldn't think the Omaha rental market would be incredibly saturated, but I suppose it is important to double-check. (One time we had to sign a lease 8 weeks in advance because there was a ~1% vacancy rate or something like that where I lived haha)

When my husband and I moved to Omaha last year we applied/paid-deposit in mid-April for an early June move-in (you normally sign the lease when you move in and have to put deposits and stuff down early to hold the unit). My coworker just paid his deposits this past week for a June 9 move-in. I'd probably start looking soon. Rates also tend to go up in the summertime.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I won't be able to attend second look day. If someone who attends is willing, it'd be helpful to hear some of the highlights/thoughts from the Omaha second look this upcoming weekend.

Thanks in advance!

I won't be able to attend second look day. If someone who attends is willing, it'd be helpful to hear some of the highlights/thoughts from the Omaha second look this upcoming weekend.

Thanks in advance!

I also won't be able to attend this weekend, but would love to hear about it! Hope everyone has a good time in Omaha!

Hey everyone!

So I attended second look weekend today and had a great time. Most of the information we received was pretty similar to interview day. The say started with breakfast, then there were talks by Dr. Barone, student affairs, about the curriculum, and financial aid. Then lunch with current students and campus tours! Really the only new information they gave us was that they showed videos of the new clinic building and the new hospital. So that was interesting! They also said they might be implementing some preclinical curriculum changes in the next few years, although that won't affect our class. If anyone has any specific questions I'd be happy to try and answer them!

Really the only new information they gave us was that they showed videos of the new clinic building and the new hospital. So that was interesting! They also said they might be implementing some preclinical curriculum changes in the next few years, although that won't affect our class. If anyone has any specific questions I'd be happy to try and answer them!

Did they mention when the new clinic building will be opening? That's the emergency department + extra one correct? Also, what was your general impression of their presentation of the renovated hospital? I know it's kind of hard to tell what it will be like with just a video, but were you impressed or how did you feel learning about it? It's the main hesitation that I have with Creighton is that they're switching hospitals haha

Did they mention when the new clinic building will be opening? That's the emergency department + extra one correct? Also, what was your general impression of their presentation of the renovated hospital? I know it's kind of hard to tell what it will be like with just a video, but were you impressed or how did you feel learning about it? It's the main hesitation that I have with Creighton is that they're switching hospitals haha

So the outpatient clinic building opened up in January, and that one is really close to the lecture hall building, just a couple blocks away. That one also has the freestanding ER but that won't open up until June. The Bergen hospital campus is a new addition with something like a 150 million dollar rennovation/addition to the existing Bergen campus. I was pretty impressed. I think it looks really nice, but I agree it's hard to tell. If you try searching on YouTube I think videos of the new buildings are on there!

So the outpatient clinic building opened up in January, and that one is really close to the lecture hall building, just a couple blocks away. That one also has the freestanding ER but that won't open up until June. The Bergen hospital campus is a new addition with something like a 150 million dollar rennovation/addition to the existing Bergen campus. I was pretty impressed. I think it looks really nice, but I agree it's hard to tell. If you try searching on YouTube I think videos of the new buildings are on there!

Oh, I had forgotten the clinic and freestanding ER were two different buildings, that's cool! I will have to try and find the video on YouTube, but I'm glad that it seemed really nice when you were at Second Look. Thanks!

Oh, I had forgotten the clinic and freestanding ER were two different buildings, that's cool! I will have to try and find the video on YouTube, but I'm glad that it seemed really nice when you were at Second Look. Thanks!

I think they're actually part of the same building (the ED and the outpatient clinics), just the ER part isn't quite done yet? At least that's the impression I got.

Anyone find those youtube videos? I've been looking but haven't found much

Here are some they showed us:

There was one more, I think, but unfortunately I can't find it!

Reactions: 2 users
For accepted students: does anyone know if we should send in that Nebraska background check form if we are still not 100% we are going to attend Creighton? Or should we wait until we know 100% that we will attend?

Thanks in advance!

does anyone know if we should send in that Nebraska background check form if we are still not 100% we are going to attend Creighton?
Fwiw I'm going to wait until the end of May, most likely. I think it's just something that we need to have done before orientation. It probably wouldn't hurt to send it in beforehand, since it's just another background check, but I don't think there would be a problem waiting until summer after we're sure we are heading to Creighton. I think this goes for the vaccination records and other forms as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! I'm hoping someone familiar with the school can help me- I was too nervous to ask about this on interview day, but I know that Creighton is a Jesuit school. Would anything like this be able to happen at their hospital or clinics? I'm really sorry if this isn't the place to ask and I'm not trying to start a huge debate- I'm just curious as to how much their Jesuit philosophy impacts patient care.

Thanks!

Sorry this is kind of late in the game, but I'm a current student at Creighton. Let me know if you guys have any questions or concerns! Congrats!

Sorry this is kind of late in the game, but I'm a current student at Creighton. Let me know if you guys have any questions or concerns! Congrats!
Hi there! Thanks for offering!

I had a few q's I've been wondering about, which are probably WAY premature for an incoming M1 (ha), but I'd find it helpful:

1) How well do you feel Creighton prepares you for the boards? Do professors incorporate NBME type q's into exams/teach more to the boards or no? Do students generally feel there is enough dedicated time for Step 1?

2) What do you think are the advantages of going to Phoenix for clinical years?

3) This one is especially premature but I'm curious:

It looks like Creighton does a pretty good job at getting people into competitive specialties ( I've seen neurosurg, plastics, derm, ortho, etc.. in recent years), despite Creighton not having home residency programs in those specialties. I'd find it helpful if you could possibly elaborate on the type of support students receive from Creighton to improve their chances of matching, i.e. do they encourage students to take research years, do specific away rotations, have strong relations with specific programs, etc.. Obviously it's tough to match into those specialties for anyone from any school, and I'm just curious how it works if there is no home department.

That's all I can think of now. I'm definitely excited about Creighton!

Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone! I'm hoping someone familiar with the school can help me- I was too nervous to ask about this on interview day, but I know that Creighton is a Jesuit school. Would anything like this be able to happen at their hospital or clinics? I'm really sorry if this isn't the place to ask and I'm not trying to start a huge debate- I'm just curious as to how much their Jesuit philosophy impacts patient care.

Thanks!

I'm not going to really dig into the specifics of this particular case but here's the Sparknotes of Creighton's Catholic identity:

-You will have a priest pray for your cadavers before the first day of anatomy lab (+ before other major events)
-You will see crucifixes around
-There will be 1 lecture as part of your ethics course about the church's beliefs on certain aspects of healthcare
-The Jesuit principles of sacrifice and service are emphasized
-You will have a non-faith based ceremony (more of a group reflection) for your cadavers and their families in the spring. This will take place in St. John's Church but is not a mass or a religious event by any means
-There will be opportunities for reflections, retreats, and so forth that may be coordinated by a priest but again are secular in nature.

You will get the opportunity to really dive into women's health as an M1. Off the top of my head, I can think of like 5 women's health specific clinics that M1s have the opportunity to volunteer at. And by volunteer, I mean have a significant role as part of the healthcare team.

I really can't think of a place that emphasizes care for the whole person more than Creighton, but if you're still concerned, you can read up on the structure of the ethics committees at CHI as well as the Catholic Healthcare Directives (I think is what they're called?)

Hi there! Thanks for offering!

I had a few q's I've been wondering about, which are probably WAY premature for an incoming M1 (ha), but I'd find it helpful:

1) How well do you feel Creighton prepares you for the boards? Do professors incorporate NBME type q's into exams/teach more to the boards or no? Do students generally feel there is enough dedicated time for Step 1?

2) What do you think are the advantages of going to Phoenix for clinical years?

3) This one is especially premature but I'm curious:

It looks like Creighton does a pretty good job at getting people into competitive specialties ( I've seen neurosurg, plastics, derm, ortho, etc.. in recent years), despite Creighton not having home residency programs in those specialties. I'd find it helpful if you could possibly elaborate on the type of support students receive from Creighton to improve their chances of matching, i.e. do they encourage students to take research years, do specific away rotations, have strong relations with specific programs, etc.. Obviously it's tough to match into those specialties for anyone from any school, and I'm just curious how it works if there is no home department.

That's all I can think of now. I'm definitely excited about Creighton!

Thanks in advance!

1) I'm sure you're sick of hearing this by now, but boards is kind of what you make of it. You'll take 3-4 NBME's before your dedicated time as part of your systems. But I think most profs try to integrate the board style questions into the regular exams. I think most students find the dedicated time adequate. Don't hate me for the ambiguous/cliche answer, but you'll figure out how to study for medical school and get a better feel for things once you're about half way through first semester. If I remember correctly, we covered most of the stuff in First Aid at some point or the other.

2) You're not going to miss out on anything if you're on the Omaha track. Phoenix has a HUGE Ob/Gyn service. They also have one of (if not) the country's best neurological/neurosurgery departments in Barrow. Those are the 2 biggies. But if you wanna be a neurosurgeon and rotate there, you can always do this during 4th year (Phx campus has like dorms on site for people doing aways, externships, stuff like that). Tbh it's more of a personal preference

3) I think this is the Creighton advantage: the faculty goes all in on Creighton students. We get to do so much more during clinical years than my friends at other medical schools. You get paired with a physician mentor in your 3rd year (you wanna be a plastic surgeon, you get hooked up with a plastic surgeon). The mentoring is second to none. A lot of places say that their faculty goes to bat for you...not compared to Creighton. I know some people think our research is weak because we don't have a huge basic science faculty, but if you want to publish, present, etc you'll have more than ample opportunities to do so. You will have to do aways though for the specialties with no home program, but that's not a huge deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Fwiw I'm going to wait until the end of May, most likely. I think it's just something that we need to have done before orientation. It probably wouldn't hurt to send it in beforehand, since it's just another background check, but I don't think there would be a problem waiting until summer after we're sure we are heading to Creighton. I think this goes for the vaccination records and other forms as well.

I was wondering if someone could help me out! Where do we find the other forms and info about vaccination records? I received an email yesterday from the school but it only mentioned the background check form and sending in final transcripts. Am I missing something else?

I was wondering if someone could help me out! Where do we find the other forms and info about vaccination records? I received an email yesterday from the school but it only mentioned the background check form and sending in final transcripts. Am I missing something else?
Here is the Immunization requirements link from the admitted students page. Immunization Requirements | Student Health Services | Creighton University
Make sure to read the requirements under Health Science Students

but what about section B?
We need to complete either section A or section B, so if you were able to have a notary public (via a bank or government office) verify your identity that would be sufficient. When section B is talking about an "Organization employee", the capitalization is legal-speak in reference to something given that title earlier on in the document (i.e. Creighton University SOM). So you'd either have to have a notary public verify your identity or an employee at Creighton verify your identity in person. Either is fine.

We need to complete either section A or section B, so if you were able to have a notary public (via a bank or government office) verify your identity that would be sufficient. When section B is talking about an "Organization employee", the capitalization is legal-speak in reference to something given that title earlier on in the document (i.e. Creighton University SOM). So you'd either have to have a notary public verify your identity or an employee at Creighton verify your identity in person. Either is fine.
I talked to admissions and you don't need to fill out section A or B. Just sign and date it and send it in by mail or email. Sent mine a week ago and they just emailed me confirming that they received it and that it met their requirements. Hope that helps!

Just withdrew my acceptance from this wonderful school to attend my state school.

If money wasn't a factor, I'd totally go here. Had a blast during my interview day back in August. You can't go wrong with this school.

Hope my spot goes to one of you wonderful ppl.

Reactions: 5 users
Just withdrew my acceptance. Couldn't pass up the opportunity to be closer to home. Good luck to the rest of y'all.

What is the DHHS form for?
Also do we need to release both the CAN and APS registry?

Has anyone heard anything back about the Dean's Diversity Scholarship after you sent in the application?

Withdrew my application from here last week. It was a very hard decision, but I hope my spot goes to one of you on the alternate list!

Withdrew my application from here last week. It was a very hard decision, but I hope my spot goes to one of you on the alternate list!
Good luck at UWSMPH and god bless you for freeing up that scholarship money.

Just gave up my spot here. Hope it goes to one of you. Best wishes, everyone!