2016-2017 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I second mcatjelly--there are definitely thirds, it's just that people are less likely to post if they've been put on a lower tier of the waitlist (and a part of that can be due to ego/self-esteem/self-confidence reasons)
Okay, this is what I figured but wasn't sure! The neurotic part of me was thinking they told me I was in the top tier just to appease me haha. Thanks for the insight.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi -- Does anyone know when revisit events wrap up on Saturday? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Is each third split up equally? Like numbers and ratio of out of state and instate?

Is each third split up equally? Like numbers and ratio of out of state and instate?
Each third has roughly the same number of people but due to the way candidates are placed on the waitlist, I don't think IS/OOS status is taken into much consideration since at this point we are looking to place the most desirable/qualified candidates at the highest third and not so much whether they are IS or OOS. If someone is IS then they are more likely to accept the position if taken off of the waitlist (and thus potentially more desirable) but I don't think admissions actively tries to make sure there is an equal number of IS and OOS people in each third if that makes sense. As far as I know, I do not think admissions ranks the IS candidates and OOS candidates separately--everyone at a given interview date is ranked in one pool.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone notice it seems like there are a disproportionate amount of WL'd people on here reporting that they are top 1/3rd? I don't think I've seen a single bottom third and maybe only one or two middle third people. Is it possible that they aren't literal "thirds" and the majority of waitlisted people are told they are in the top? Or is it all just strong reporting bias?

Once upon a time I stalked all the EVMS application threads and stumbled on someone reporting bottom third.
Moose out.

Each third has roughly the same number of people but due to the way candidates are placed on the waitlist, I don't think IS/OOS status is taken into much consideration since at this point we are looking to place the most desirable/qualified candidates at the highest third and not so much whether they are IS or OOS. If someone is IS then they are more likely to accept the position if taken off of the waitlist (and thus potentially more desirable) but I don't think admissions actively tries to make sure there is an equal number of IS and OOS people in each third if that makes sense. As far as I know, I do not think admissions ranks the IS candidates and OOS candidates separately--everyone at a given interview date is ranked in one pool.
Thanks!

besides submitting FAFSA, were there any other forms that we had to complete for financial aid/institutional aid? Still waiting to hear back post-II

besides submitting FAFSA, were there any other forms that we had to complete for financial aid/institutional aid? Still waiting to hear back post-II

There is an EVMS specific application on the portal once you get the official acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
Just accepted from the WL (top 1/3)! Very excited :) Is there a second look this weekend (was just looking further up in the thread)?

Reactions: 8 users
Congrats penny! Just got an email myself, on the waitlist after interviewing March 24. Gonna call later today and find out my third.

Edit: Top 1/3 for me as well. Good news! Kinda hoping I could prove to you guys there are people in the bottom though. haha

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!! Are you IS or OOS?
OOS, and thank you all for the congrats! I got an e-mail that actually went to my spam folder, so make sure to keep checking that. Thanks for the heads up on second look - I will most likely be attending :) Can't wait to meet you all!

Slightly off-topic, but is anyone else trying to decide between EVMS and VCU?

Last edited:
Just accepted from the WL (top 1/3)! Very excited :) Is there a second look this weekend (was just looking further up in the thread)?
Congrats! Preview weekend is April 21-22 and the tentative itinerary is posted on the c/o 2021 fb page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/107564096428396/ :) If you haven't received an email with the details, I would give the admissions office a call especially if you would be interested in the student housing overnight option rather than a hotel.

Congrats! Preview weekend is April 21-22 and the tentative itinerary is posted on the c/o 2021 fb page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/107564096428396/ :) If you haven't received an email with the details, I would give the admissions office a call especially if you would be interested in the student housing overnight option rather than a hotel.

Do you know if preview weekend is casual? Or do I need to get my dress shoes out?

Do you know if preview weekend is casual? Or do I need to get my dress shoes out?

On the itinerary it says business casual for Friday at least but I would double check with admissions. Usually when we say business casual we just mean "don't dress dumpy" (ie. no sweats, tshirts, ripped/distressed jeans, pajama pants, etc.) and as long as you make yourself presentable I think it's fine. Dress shoes may be too formal but if you have "nicer" shoes than sneakers/flip flops (like flats, boots, boat shoes) then I would go with that. Again, this is just from personal experience whenever the school tells us to dress 'business casual' (I didn't go to preview weekend) so the admissions might be more in the know.

Oops. Guess I should have read the itinerary closer.

No worries--I'm really detail-oriented so I pick up on things like that real fast. Again, it's a tentative itinerary so for all we know they might change the dress code to something more lax. I remember during our orientation picnic it was so incredibly hot and humid that they told us it was okay to wear shorts and "dress comfortably" despite the 'business casual' dress code for that day so that we wouldn't die of heat stroke :p

For accepted/current students:

Has anyone's checklist been updated? I've completed everything currently open on the portal as far as the checklist goes, but nothing has changed on the visualzen checklist page (I figured that empty boxes by the items would change to check marks or something). For instance, I know my transcripts have been received, but it still shows an empty box. Also, any idea what the blood born pathogens item on visualzen is talking about? I haven't found anything on the portal about it.

Has anyone's checklist been updated? I've completed everything currently open on the portal as far as the checklist goes, but nothing has changed on the visualzen checklist page (I figured that empty boxes by the items would change to check marks or something). For instance, I know my transcripts have been received, but it still shows an empty box. Also, any idea what the blood born pathogens item on visualzen is talking about? I haven't found anything on the portal about it.
The checklist can take a while to update but if you know that you have sent things in, then I wouldn't worry about it (if you really want to be sure, you can always give the admissions office a call).

EVMS will send additional emails regarding the blood borne pathogens and other health modules/requirements that you will need to fulfill prior to matriculation at a later time once they have a better gauge of the incoming class (ie. post-Traffic day). I had received these emails in mid-June so I wouldn't stress over it now :)

The email said it won't start updating until the end of the month. However, you should be getting emails from the various departments as things are turned in like health forms and transcripts.

Top 1/3 OOS interviewed 3/24. Hope this means I have a chance here!

Waitlist ("Top third") today after interviewing on 3/31.

I am a little (*cough*really*cough*) bummed because I absolutely loved the school and thought this was my best interview, but I wasn't expecting too much given the late interview date.

I was waitlisted OOS 1/3 last Monday after interviewing about 4 weeks prior to that... I also thought it was my best interview out of 7 and was bummed when I first got the waitlist, but I received an offer from them on Wednesday. I declined the offer recently as I'm looking to stay where I am, but keep your heads up! IIRC OOS waitlist has great movement.

All, just withdrew my offer--good luck! I'm in state.

Reactions: 3 users
Any of the people who got pulled off the waitlist care to share their basic demographic info? I'm guessing you're not white males? :laugh:

Is it me or is the admission office not taking any calls these days? Tried calling but it keeps going straight to the voicemail...

What time are you calling?
I called yesterday, from 11 am to 4 pm, every hour (I’ve been told that I’m clingy, but I don’t get it). Then again this morning at 9:30 am.
Gave up, sent an email, worked like a charm.

I'm on the waitlist here and really loved the school. Feels like we're getting close to waitlist movement! Good luck everyone
I sure hope so, my Waitlist movement knee has been acting up lately.

Reactions: 4 users
for those accepted, is there a grade minimum requirement to keep the acceptance? or do you just have to pass and graduate?

for those accepted, is there a grade minimum requirement to keep the acceptance? or do you just have to pass and graduate?

I went back and looked through all my acceptance stuff and I don't see anywhere it specifically says a GPA, just the required prereqs.

But don't take my response as an okay to fail or anything.

I went back and looked through all my acceptance stuff and I don't see anywhere it specifically says a GPA, just the required prereqs.

But don't take my response as an okay to fail or anything.

haha definitely not planning on failing but have a chance to get a C or C- in one of my classes so just wanted to see! but appreciate you going through all that for me!

haha definitely not planning on failing but have a chance to get a C or C- in one of my classes so just wanted to see! but appreciate you going through all that for me!
Were you accepted recently? If so, congratulations!

Were you accepted recently? If so, congratulations!
haha i wish! just got a little freaked out when I realized the worst case scenario for this class and if it would affect my waitlist schools, if I were lucky enough to be accepted down the road

haha i wish! just got a little freaked out when I realized the worst case scenario for this class and if it would affect my waitlist schools, if I were lucky enough to be accepted down the road
Ugh, my sympathies. Good luck!

just realized April 30th is on a Sunday and Monday is May 1st.

So....
May the 1st ..puffttfft... be with you... Pufffftttf

Sorry

Withdrew from here yesterday (IS), best of luck to you on the WL!

Reactions: 2 users