2016-2017 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have to wait until the 8th of this month to send in my secondaries because that's when I'll get my next paycheck. Trying to make the best out of being a late-ish applicant but I don't have much of a choice with my financial situation. Super discouraging when I see people (and friends of mine) getting interviews at schools already. Any current students here had luck while being a late-ish applicant like me? Im OOS and stats below.
 
I know these threads are usually saturated with people that were verified and complete super early but for any lurkers that were a little late like me i just wanted to share.

AMCAS verified August 23
Secondary received today

OOS, MCAT 505, sGPA 3.79


OOS and late-ish applicant as well. I'll submit mine in 4 days when I get paid (entire paycheck is about to go to secondaries, ugh).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OOS and late-ish applicant as well. I'll submit mine in 4 days when I get paid (entire paycheck is about to go to secondaries, ugh).
I think at this point, 4 days is not going to make a big difference. Just use the time to polish up your secondaries and get more people to read/comment on them. Best of luck!!
 
Hmm, is there any way to see on the site whether test scores/letters have been delivered to this school via AMCAS? I also submitted a while ago but haven't gotten the email that I'm complete yet, just that I've submitted a secondary.

Also, will it be a huge faux pas to have accidentally sent more than three letters? Obviously I specified within the secondary the three that I wanted them to consider. It's just that when I was listing the schools in AMCAS, I just included every letter for every school I was interested in--at the time I did not know each one's individual letter policy.
 
Hmm, is there any way to see on the site whether test scores/letters have been delivered to this school via AMCAS? I also submitted a while ago but haven't gotten the email that I'm complete yet, just that I've submitted a secondary.

Also, will it be a huge faux pas to have accidentally sent more than three letters? Obviously I specified within the secondary the three that I wanted them to consider. It's just that when I was listing the schools in AMCAS, I just included every letter for every school I was interested in--at the time I did not know each one's individual letter policy.
I never got a complete email. +1 for the avatar. Wearing one of their shirts right now.
 
Anyone submit their secondary after 8/10 and receive a completion email? My account still says "you will receive a an email when your file is completed by admissions office" so I am kind of worried since its been nearly a month.
I submitted way earlier, but my account says the same thing despite having received a complete email. I think they stop updating your status online after you submit the secondary.
 
Anyone submit their secondary after 8/10 and receive a completion email? My account still says "you will receive a an email when your file is completed by admissions office" so I am kind of worried since its been nearly a month.
I submitted mine on 8/8 and received the complete email on 8/10. But yes, my portal still shows the same message.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone who has interviewed here (i think interviews started this past week) care to share how their experience was?
Difficult ethical questions like they had in previous years?
 
Ah shoot, I just read the secondary closer and realize I need three faculty letters. I have two school faculty, 2 doctors and 1 PA that I work with. Anybody apply in the past with just two faculty and one other letter and get a II? I'm non-trad. Have been out of school for over a year and am close with just two faculty and these doctors that wrote me letters. Not really sure if I should ask a professor at this point of just send in a non-faculty letter and hope for the best.
 
Ah shoot, I just read the secondary closer and realize I need three faculty letters. I have two school faculty, 2 doctors and 1 PA that I work with. Anybody apply in the past with just two faculty and one other letter and get a II? I'm non-trad. Have been out of school for over a year and am close with just two faculty and these doctors that wrote me letters. Not really sure if I should ask a professor at this point of just send in a non-faculty letter and hope for the best.

MS1 checking in! I don't even remember this being a requirement last year, but I know that I only applied with two faculty letters, and one physician letter. No clue if something's changed since then.
 
MS1 checking in! I don't even remember this being a requirement last year, but I know that I only applied with two faculty letters, and one physician letter. No clue if something's changed since then.
Thanks so much for the reply! I'm a little worried because there is space for three letters and they all have Name, School, Department. I may just put an X in the School and Department line of my doctor's letter info and hope for the best.
 
Anyone who has interviewed here (i think interviews started this past week) care to share how their experience was?
Difficult ethical questions like they had in previous years?
Hey! I'm currently an M1 at EVMS, so I interviewed last year and can tell you a bit about that. I had a panel interview with 3 interviewers (you'll have 2 or 3). It was very conversational and relaxed, but yes there were some ethical questions. However, it wasn't anything over my head. Just be aware of problems in health care and know how to work through an ethical dilemma. Let me know if you have any questions about the school!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a few interviews already and one DO acceptance, so I decided not to spend the time away from work and the money it would take to get there.
Good for you! I can't imagine my work being ok with 5+ II's so I'll probably do something similar.
 
Good for you! I can't imagine my work being ok with 5+ II's so I'll probably do something similar.

My PI is thankfully the nicest human alive and told me to take all the time I need as long as I come in on weekends.

Do you have vacation time?
 
So a few days ago I got a call from EVMS while I was in class, when I called back they said they had been trying to fill an interview slot on Wed but they had already filled it. So I would just get a normal invite the next time they sent them out. But I haven't heard anything yet... have any of y'all been in this situation or something similar?
 
So a few days ago I got a call from EVMS while I was in class, when I called back they said they had been trying to fill an interview slot on Wed but they had already filled it. So I would just get a normal invite the next time they sent them out. But I haven't heard anything yet... have any of y'all been in this situation or something similar?

That's so weird! I wouldn't be concerned about the wait, though. I had actually called for a status update last year and they told me I would be offered an interview, but I didn't get the email until a week or so later.

And even if it takes two weeks or whatever, bottom line: you have an interview.
 
M1 here: Just to give ya'll some hope, I didn't receive an interview invitation unit mid November and then interviewed in mid December. I took my MCAT at the end of last summer, so I'm sure they didn't really consider me until they got that score. Still plenty of time!
This honestly makes me feel better. I am a little behind the ball game on getting all my apps in because of finances. Long story short, my mom had to take money from her retirement last year to pay our property taxes. That showed up as extra income on her W-2 and I didn't get any help from the FAP this year. I am paying for all of these applications on my own while helping to pay bills at home as well. Its been a stressful few months paying for the MCAT, primaries and now secondaries and I have been panicking about being a relatively late applicant.
 
@danimal22 dont stress it! there's a difference between a "late" applicant in the real world and a "late" applicant in the sdn world!
 
This honestly makes me feel better. I am a little behind the ball game on getting all my apps in because of finances. Long story short, my mom had to take money from her retirement last year to pay our property taxes. That showed up as extra income on her W-2 and I didn't get any help from the FAP this year. I am paying for all of these applications on my own while helping to pay bills at home as well. Its been a stressful few months paying for the MCAT, primaries and now secondaries and I have been panicking about being a relatively late applicant.
I've heard of plenty of people applying "late" and still getting in! Your stats seem great and it looks like you have spread a wide net in terms of applications. Good luck to you and I hope your financial burdens ease up soon! Applying to medical school is a long and frustrating process, but remember that it will be worth it! If anyone every has any questions, feel free to ask! 🙂
 
I've heard of plenty of people applying "late" and still getting in! Your stats seem great and it looks like you have spread a wide net in terms of applications. Good luck to you and I hope your financial burdens ease up soon! Applying to medical school is a long and frustrating process, but remember that it will be worth it! If anyone every has any questions, feel free to ask! 🙂
Thanks for the encouraging words!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@danimal22 dont stress it! there's a difference between a "late" applicant in the real world and a "late" applicant in the sdn world!
Haha I keep trying to tell myself this! It's just stressful to see people interviewing before you even have all your apps in. A doc I work with told me the other day that he ended up going to to a school where he submitted his app 5 minutes before the deadline. Made me feel better. hahah
 
Haha I keep trying to tell myself this! It's just stressful to see people interviewing before you even have all your apps in. A doc I work with told me the other day that he ended up going to to a school where he submitted his app 5 minutes before the deadline. Made me feel better. hahah

Hey I was complete at most places by mid august, but I was in your position. I was so anxious that others had interviews and I hadn't even finished writing my apps... But I know people who applied earlier than I did and haven't heard back yet. I know people who have applied after I did and have heard back. In another school thread someone applied like sept 2 and got an II sept 7th or something like that. This entire process can be a toss up sometimes. Just do the best you can, if its in the cards it won't matter if you finish all your apps today or next week. Good luck!
 
This honestly makes me feel better. I am a little behind the ball game on getting all my apps in because of finances. Long story short, my mom had to take money from her retirement last year to pay our property taxes. That showed up as extra income on her W-2 and I didn't get any help from the FAP this year. I am paying for all of these applications on my own while helping to pay bills at home as well. Its been a stressful few months paying for the MCAT, primaries and now secondaries and I have been panicking about being a relatively late applicant.

Sorry to hear about the struggles, but I hope all of your hard work pays off in the end! I've been applying "late" as well and adding the last of my schools after I get my paycheck. I don't think being complete in September is the end of the world for certain schools and definitely not for EVMS. It looks like you have great stats. Try not to let other people on the forums get you down. Although many applicants have completed, most schools are only beginning their interviews or scheduling for interviews. Then again, do some research because some schools like Tulane have interviews scheduled into February already... I submitted that secondary late August and they haven't even reached my complete date yet. For most schools, you will be fine so just focus on submitting a quality app! Best of luck!
 
This honestly makes me feel better. I am a little behind the ball game on getting all my apps in because of finances. Long story short, my mom had to take money from her retirement last year to pay our property taxes. That showed up as extra income on her W-2 and I didn't get any help from the FAP this year. I am paying for all of these applications on my own while helping to pay bills at home as well. Its been a stressful few months paying for the MCAT, primaries and now secondaries and I have been panicking about being a relatively late applicant.
Keep your chin up, its a marathon not a sprint! This school is great!