2016-2017 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OOS applicant. 3.63 GPA and a sad 499 MCAT. Anyone in the same boat or near this?

I'm sorry, but the odds of you getting into any MD school with that MCAT score are extremely low, and you'll probably get screened out pre-secondary (EVMS has higher standards for OOS apps). Your odds would be iffy even at DO schools. I highly recommend you withdraw your app, retake the MCAT, and reapply next year. Sorry. :/
 
I'm sorry, but the odds of you getting into any MD school with that MCAT score are extremely low, and you'll probably get screened out pre-secondary (EVMS has higher standards for OOS apps). Your odds would be iffy even at DO schools. I highly recommend you withdraw your app, retake the MCAT, and reapply next year. Sorry. :/
I would disagree with this sentiment. Your chances are best at IS schools where their median mcat is 28~. By definition half of the MCAT scores for these schools are below 28~. It is too late to withdraw without looking like a reapplicant next year anyway.
Plus numbers are not everything URM, Veteran, Exceptional EC all make an applicant.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would disagree with this sentiment. Your chances are best at IS schools where their median mcat is 28~. By definition half of the MCAT scores for these schools are below 28~. It is too late to withdraw without looking like a reapplicant next year anyway.
Plus numbers are not everything URM, Veteran, Exceptional EC all make an applicant.

I don't mean this antagonistically, I swear, but what medical schools have a median MCAT of 28?? IIRC EVMS had a 10% percentile MCAT of 27 or 28, which is definitely not the same thing as having a median MCAT of 28.

I didn't say that a 499 would keep you out of an MD program. Just that your chances would be extremely low. I don't think that's inaccurate at all. And I maintain that getting through EVMS' screening with that score as an OOS applicant would be slimmer.
 
I don't mean this antagonistically, I swear, but what medical schools have a median MCAT of 28?? IIRC EVMS had a 10% percentile MCAT of 27 or 28, which is definitely not the same thing as having a median MCAT of 28.

I didn't say that a 499 would keep you out of an MD program. Just that your chances would be extremely low. I don't think that's inaccurate at all. And I maintain that getting through EVMS' screening with that score as an OOS applicant would be slimmer.
The following schools have a Median MCAT of 30 or less. If he/she is blessed to be domiciled in a state where these schools are he /she is likely to matriculate provided everything else is in order.

San Juan Bautista
Ponce
Caribe
Meharry
Howard
Morehouse School of Medicine
Marshall University
U of New Mexico
Northeast Ohio Medical University
Louisiana State University School of Medicine shreveprot
U of Missouri
Floria State
U Kansas
U of N Dakota
West Virginia
Central Michigan
East Temmessee State
Cooper Medical School Rowan
U of Utah
U of South Alabama
Michigan State
Sanford

Also these are acceptee medians! matriculant medians are generally 2ish points below this!

According to this The chance of acceptance is 25%
https://www.aamc.org/download/321508/data/factstablea23.pdf
and roughly 1300 applicants get accepted each year.

Its a hill to climb, but 1 in 4 odds are not terrible.
 
Last edited:
OOS applicant. 3.63 GPA and a sad 499 MCAT. Anyone in the same boat or near this?

Not sure if you were even asking for 'chance' opinions but as a URM with good ECs but lower GPA... a 27 to 512 jump did wonders for me. I personally wouldn't apply with a 499 and would echo @mcatjelly. Your chances certainly aren't zero but they're not high either.

However, if you weren't asking for a 'chances' opinion (especially since you already sent the primary) ... seriously good luck!

FYI I sent my primary to a couple of schools in a previous cycle and didn't complete the secondary for one, rejected from the other. They're two of my current interview invites.
 
Last edited:
OOS applicant. 3.63 GPA and a sad 499 MCAT. Anyone in the same boat or near this?
My friend has similar stats and she has a few interviews at DO schools. She has been out of college for two years and is an EMT, so I think that has helped her. She re took her MCAT and went from 498 to 502, which was good enough for some DO schools
 
Anyone here who has already interviewed mind telling me how the traffic situation is getting from the school to the airport? I'm trying to decide if I can make a 5:50 flight out of Norfolk after my interview. Any insight would be so appreciated!
 
Anyone here who has already interviewed mind telling me how the traffic situation is getting from the school to the airport? I'm trying to decide if I can make a 5:50 flight out of Norfolk after my interview. Any insight would be so appreciated!

I'd say it could be up to 45 minutes if traffic is bad, 20 if traffic is good.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Anyone here who has already interviewed mind telling me how the traffic situation is getting from the school to the airport? I'm trying to decide if I can make a 5:50 flight out of Norfolk after my interview. Any insight would be so appreciated!
I'd say it could be up to 45 minutes if traffic is bad, 20 if traffic is good.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

^ Yep.

Can you take a later flight, OP? Interviews don't start until 2 and if you happen to get one that doesn't end until 4:30 or later, that might suck. :/
 
I'd say it could be up to 45 minutes if traffic is bad, 20 if traffic is good.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

^ Yep.

Can you take a later flight, OP? Interviews don't start until 2 and if you happen to get one that doesn't end until 4:30 or later, that might suck. :/


Thanks for the tips guys! Yeah I'll just fly out the next day. Was hoping to avoid that but better safe than sorry in this case
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anybody interviewing here this Friday 9/30 and want to split a hotel room? Just reserved 2 queens for $109 on Thursday night. 22 y/o male, pm me so we can save some $$ pls
 
Is anyone else having difficulty getting into contact with admissions about scheduling an interview?
 
Is anyone else having difficulty getting into contact with admissions about scheduling an interview?
I called several times this morning and it went straight to voicemail each time but I just called again and I finally got through to schedule my interview!
 
ahh I was complete 8/26...hoping for something soon! do they send rejections?
I was complete in late July/early August and I just got the II on Friday. My stats are little skewed so maybe that was why it took a while. Either way there's still hope!
 
@BunnyMan17 what do you mean skewed?

As in my amcas gpa when I submitted was 3.44 but my MCAT was 518. I guess a better phrase would have been "not balanced". I got a couple rejects at the same time I got the EVMS II. A lot of people that were complete at the same time I was seem to had already heard back by that point (interview, reject, hold, etc.) I figured they liked some of my app but not the gpa so they were just waiting a bit to see how things played out. That or I got stuck in the really slow pile for a lot of MD schools.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As in my amcas gpa when I submitted was 3.44 but my MCAT was 518. I guess a better phrase would have been "not balanced". I got a couple rejects at the same time I got the EVMS II. A lot of people that were complete at the same time I was seem to had already heard back by that point (interview, reject, hold, etc.) I figured they liked some of my app but not the gpa so they were just waiting a bit to see how things played out. That or I got stuck in the really slow pile for a lot of MD schools.

I think the EVMS median GPA is not too much higher than that. Your MCAT is, of course, good.
 
Accepted!

FWIW, first round of normal cycle acceptances will be emailed out on the 15th, but if they have a decision already, they'll tell you over the phone.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Congrats! When did you interview? I have an interview on Friday and am wondering how long I'll have to wait to find out.
 
Can anyone post the IS interviewed/matriculated data from MSAR?

I apologize if I bother people asking for MSAR data but the extra expenditure was too much of a stretch for me this year
 
Can anyone post the IS interviewed/matriculated data from MSAR?

I apologize if I bother people asking for MSAR data but the extra expenditure was too much of a stretch for me this year

Roughly 800 interviewed and 150 matriculated, split fairly evenly between IS and OS.

(Trying not to give to much detail, but let me know if this is too much for the ToS.)


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad