2016-2017 Georgetown University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know what the new curriculum is going to be like? Will it be 1.5 year pre-clinical? Any idea how its going to be different from the current curriculum ?

Can anyone going to Second Look please find out and let us know.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Where do students typically live?

Burleith, Glover Park, Foxhall. Could also look between 36th and Wisconsin, but this is where a lot of the undergrads live. Depends on what kind of area you want to be in, if you want easy access to public transportation, etc. There are GUTS buses that go to and from and lot of spots in DC/Virginia too if you don't want to live right next to school.

I'm from D.C. And the most affordable places are suburbs of D.C. Just FYI DC proper is very expensive like minimum $1600 for a studio or each if you get a shared 2 bedroom anywhere within walking distance of Georgetown... not including utilities. Arlington, Alexandria or NW D.C. By the Maryland border are much cheaper and metro/bus accessible.i wouldn't go much farther than Silver Spring or Bethesda if youre looking into Maryland. And definitely not past Alexandria for Virginia. Georgetown has a free shuttle to/from the DuPont and rossyln metro stops

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from D.C. And the most affordable places are suburbs of D.C. Just FYI DC proper is very expensive like minimum $1600 for a studio or each if you get a shared 2 bedroom anywhere within walking distance of Georgetown... not including utilities. Arlington, Alexandria or NW D.C. By the Maryland border are much cheaper and metro/bus accessible.i wouldn't go much farther than Silver Spring or Bethesda if youre looking into Maryland. And definitely not past Alexandria for Virginia. Georgetown has a free shuttle to/from the DuPont and rossyln metro stops

One of my friends lives in Bethesda and I rode from there to multiple places including Rosslyn. I can't imagine taking that to Rosslyn and then getting on the shuttle and mini shuttle to the med school/hospital in a time crunch. That may just be because I'm a foolish outsider, though.

However, maybe riding the metro in that area could help build some nice bonds with NIH employees for some research funding later on lolz

Well you would take the Bethesda or NIH metro to DuPont and shuttle from there. I meant there are campus shuttles from both of those metro stops (DuPont and Roslyn). The walk from DuPont is like 30 minutes. But if you can afford that rent then by all means look at Foxhall, Georgetown, Foggy Bottom, DuPont. Other neighborhoods in DC that are a little farther away and slightly cheaper are Brookland, Brightwood/takoma park, U street, petworth, Columbia heights...

Has anyone received their financial aid packages from Georgetown? Seems like they were released by this time last year. Submitted my info to them relatively early, but I haven't heard anything.

Edit: Just kidding... I overlooked the MyAccess account information and found it there.

Last edited:
Can anyone attending Second Look please try to learn more about the new curriculum and share the information.

Thank you so much !

Just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Happy May 1 fellow anxious people!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know what the new curriculum is going to be like? Will it be 1.5 year pre-clinical? Any idea how its going to be different from the current curriculum ?

Can anyone going to Second Look please find out and let us know.

Thanks so much!

I went to Second Look and yes, the new curriculum will be 1.5 pre-clinical and clinical rotations will start in April of M2. We get 8 weeks for Step 1 studying in between. Also, anatomy lab will be integrated with the body systems blocks rather than starting right from day 1. They emphasized flexibility, collaboration, and student wellness in the new curriculum and sounds like they'll be introducing more changes to accomplish these goals along the way. For example, an admit asked about the lack of PBL and admin said there will be team-based learning where we are given guidance and learning objectives from the get-go rather than having us form them ourselves. My impression was positive, and it sounded like they are ready to adapt to the students' needs.

Reactions: 1 users
I went to Second Look and yes, the new curriculum will be 1.5 pre-clinical and clinical rotations will start in April of M2. We get 8 weeks for Step 1 studying in between. Also, anatomy lab will be integrated with the body systems blocks rather than starting right from day 1. They emphasized flexibility, collaboration, and student wellness in the new curriculum and sounds like they'll be introducing more changes to accomplish these goals along the way. For example, an admit asked about the lack of PBL and admin said there will be team-based learning where we are given guidance and learning objectives from the get-go rather than having us form them ourselves. My impression was positive, and it sounded like they are ready to adapt to the students' needs.
Awesome, thank you so much for sharing!

Maybe we will get some news today...that seems to be the tradition in past years. I hope it's good news for all us waitlisters! I'm def gonna be refreshing my email every 5 seconds all day today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe we will get some news today...that seems to be the tradition in past years. I hope it's good news for all us waitlisters! I'm def gonna be refreshing my email every 5 seconds all day today.
you're going to get a call from the dean first, I spoke with admissions last week they said they won't send electronic verification until a few weeks after that

Edit: I stand corrected

Last edited:
Just got the acceptance call from Dean Mitchell as well. Good luck to the rest of you!

Reactions: 3 users
Was there a change in your portal, those who were accepted?

Boo, no call. :( should we be discouraged if we didn't get a call when a bunch of people did?

Boo, no call. :( should we be discouraged if we didn't get a call when a bunch of people did?

The past threads have shown a tad bit of movement in the middle and last day of the month. It looks like our next best shot is next Friday or the following Monday. Either way, I wouldn't hold my breath

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
The past threads have shown a tad bit of movement in the middle and last day of the month. It looks like our next best shot is next Friday or the following Monday. Either way, I wouldn't hold my breath

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Yikes. Well i appreciate he honesty haha.

For anyone who still needs to find housing for the school year, my friends are moving out of their two bedroom apartment and the landlord is looking to rent it out, either short term or long term. Right on wisconsin ave in the center of Georgetown, 15 minute walk away from GUSOM.

Two bedroom one bath

Accepted students! Is anyone looking for a roommate/roommates? Also, is there an fb group for the accepted students?

Hey guys, never posted here before. 2 questions:

1) I'm wondering how one's chances are if they have at or above the school's median MCAT/GPA. Do people generally get interviewed at least with the stats?

2) Their website says something like - "exceptional" candidates have at least 200 hours of clinical community service. If you have only about 100 hours (with other activities/EC's of course) of community service total is that going to be a huge problem

Hey guys, never posted here before. 2 questions:

1) I'm wondering how one's chances are if they have at or above the school's median MCAT/GPA. Do people generally get interviewed at least with the stats?

2) Their website says something like - "exceptional" candidates have at least 200 hours of clinical community service. If you have only about 100 hours (with other activities/EC's of course) of community service total is that going to be a huge problem

I was around the median stats when I applied, and I got an interview. It's honestly luck of the draw. Having the stats/EC's etc will help you get an interview, but I think last year there were 11K apps for like 1K interviews. It's just a numbers game honestly. If you're within the range, go ahead an apply. There's nothing to lose expect the secondary costs.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. If your EC's and stuff are good, then you'll be fine.

When do you guys think us on the waitlist should give up? I have another acceptance but Georgetown is my dreaaaam.

When do you guys think us on the waitlist should give up? I have another acceptance but Georgetown is my dreaaaam.
Same. Last year they send out an email around June 15 saying the class was full and they do not anticipate having any more movement. So that's my date where I will start to proceed with figuring out housing plans for my accepted schhol

Does georgetown's financial aid change year by year? Or is the first year's aid guaranteed for all 4 years?

I'm pretty sure they discussed this during the interview day, but I forgot :/

JUST GOT THE CALL! Accepted off the waitlist. I started crying and screeching. I've wanted to be a Hoya my entire life, I didn't think it was going to happen.

Reactions: 6 users
JUST GOT THE CALL! Accepted off the waitlist. I started crying and screeching. I've wanted to be a Hoya my entire life, I didn't think it was going to happen.
Congrats everybody! I guess it's time to come to terms that I will never get the call...waitlisted since Oct and giving up hope

Mind sharing your stats, when you interview and waitlisted, and how many letter of intent you sent in?

Does georgetown's financial aid change year by year? Or is the first year's aid guaranteed for all 4 years?

I'm pretty sure they discussed this during the interview day, but I forgot :/
first year's aid remains fixed for all 4 years, according to Phil Rowley, with whom I recently met to discuss my package.

Reactions: 1 user