2016-2017 New York Medical College Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Taking CASPer in two hours! Here's hoping my buggy computer behaves during the test...
If you completed the CASPer system check and everything was fine, it should go smoothly. My laptop has an attitude problem as well but it didn't throw a temper tantrum during my test, thankfully. Best of luck! Two tips: 1) have water on hand since you won't have time to get up during the first or second half of the exam 2) have a copy of your CV near you so if need be, you can reflect on some experiences. I found it to be useful since the pace of the test was so quick. :happy:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As much as I disliked the format of the test, I think it was a pretty indication of physician life. The doctor I scribe for sees around 40-50 patients each day, so his decision making is pretty quick (kind of what the test is looking for, I guess). Though I don't think typing is the best way to articulate everything because it's so difficult translating thoughts to actual words.
 
I just finished the CASPER as well. I didn't really have timing issues, save for one question.

Were we supposed to receive confirmation emails after finishing?
 
Although I did not particularly enjoy it, I think CASPer was fair and I recognize the reasons behind administering the exam. (Except if you are a very slow typer, I completely understand where you are coming from and believe they should allow a microphone option, as even physician charting allows us to dictate instead of type).

However, I think it would be more justifiable to require CASPer after an II (passing their threshold of personal statement, experiences, academics, etc.), considering the exam as a supplemental part of your interview. Because even if you scored perfectly on CASPer, you still may not be granted an interview due to other factors, and, therefore, sitting for the exam may be a waste of time if they never would have considered you regardless. I may be misunderstanding their application process, in which case I apologize, but thinking about this kind of upsets me, especially because I will never know my score... I absolutely love this school, but just my two cents.
 
Last edited:
Very disappointed in CASPR. I took it back in June but they never sent in my scores to NYMC. I submitting everything first week of July and now I'm not even complete because of this. :boom:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Submitted my secondary and letters two weeks ago and I'm still stuck on "Your application fee payment or AMCAS fee waiver approval was received and your secondary application has been successfully submitted". Letters are still blank. For those that have had their letters processed and been deemed complete, how long did it take between submission and notification?

I submitted 7/27/16 and have "Your application fee payment or AMCAS fee waiver approval was received and your secondary application has been successfully submitted" and took the CASPer yesterday, and I've yet to see any letters of evaluation below in my portal-- anyone else in the same boat?? Is it because they were waiting on my CASPer or are they still processing apps from those who applied before me?
 
Very disappointed in CASPR. I took it back in June but they never sent in my scores to NYMC. I submitting everything first week of July and now I'm not even complete because of this. :boom:
You might want to make sure that everything else is in. I took CASPer in June as well and have been complete since mid July.
 
You might want to make sure that everything else is in. I took CASPer in June as well and have been complete since mid July.
I have a line that says "Your secondary application was completed by the Office of Admissions and is currently under review by the Committee on Admissions" but I still don't have an indication that my CASPR was received. Is there supposed to be something in the portal for CASPR?
 
It should say something along the lines of "we have received your CASPER results". I took it in June


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Where does it say this? I took the test 2 months ago but don't see anything about Casper. I feel like they screwed me over here and at Tulane...what a headache
 
Last edited:
Took CASPer Thursday, letter got in late July... not holding my breath here because of CASPer processing time but maybe that's a good thing. Best of luck everyone
 
Where does it say this? I took the test 2 months ago but don't see anything about Casper. I feel like they screwed me over here and at Tulane...what a headache

ImageUploadedBySDN1471268668.839781.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 

Thank you. When did you take the CASPER test? I took it June 16th, and I just contacted CASPER. Apparently, they send out all of the scores from a single date (or all of the score from June? I wasn't quite sure) in a single file. Then the schools add it to their database. The scores from June weren't sent until July 18th. I wonder if they haven't been updated in the portal, or if my score was just accidentally glanced over? The person at CASPER said my score was on the file.
 
Thank you. When did you take the CASPER test? I took it June 16th, and I just contacted CASPER. Apparently, they send out all of the scores from a single date (or all of the score from June? I wasn't quite sure) in a single file. Then the schools add it to their database. The scores from June weren't sent until July 18th. I wonder if they haven't been updated in the portal, or if my score was just accidentally glanced over? The person at CASPER said my score was on the file.

I took it on 7/10


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Can anyone see their letters of rec in the portal under the "Letters of Evaluation"? I don't see any listed even though I have 5 letters sent through AMCAS and submitted my secondary back in 7/27...does it show up once you have "secondary application was completed by the office of admissions and is currently under review"status?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone see their letters of rec in the portal under the "Letters of Evaluation"? I don't see any listed even though I have 5 letters sent through AMCAS and submitted my secondary back in 7/27...does it show up once you have "secondary application was completed by the office of admissions and is currently under review"status?

I called them about this and was told they'd received mine. It just wasn't showing on the portal.
 
Did anyone email them to request the fee waiver? I never got a reply back, and not sure if I'm complete even though I had everything in early July. 🙁
 
Did anyone email them to request the fee waiver? I never got a reply back, and not sure if I'm complete even though I had everything in early July. 🙁
No worries. I sent an email with my fee waiver attached and never received a reply (too flooded, I suppose). However, my application was passed along to admissions a few days later. Make sure to check your portal carefully (it's not beautifully organized). Best of luck!
 
Nothing except that my secondary app is complete (no casper-specific status update on portal)

+1 however the end of the Casper test did say to allow up to a month to score and submit the scores, so I'm thinking end of August is a more reasonable timeframe.
 
FYI for those that took the July 26 CASPer, CASPer staff told me that scores will be distributed to schools early-mid next week. I wish we could find out what our scores were but alas, it is impossible. Interesting test to be sure. Here's to hoping!
^see my previous post. Although it may take some time for NYMC staff to process the scores upon receipt.
 
^see my previous post. Although it may take some time for NYMC staff to process the scores upon receipt.
Last year, Casper wasn't relevant for the interview. If it's the same for this year, then we should be expecting interviews starting next week.
 
I see. Maybe cause it was the first year. They probably have an idea now of what they're looking for, at least i'd guess so


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Maybe. I interviewed very late in the cycle after being on Hold for almost half a year, so they had my scores for several months before extending an II.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"Good news! Your application to the NYMC School of Medicine is complete. We are eager to advance your application through our review
process. However, we note you have not yet registered to take CASPer - an additional tool we use to evaluate the personal attributes of our
applicants. The use of CASPer represents the commitment of NYMC to holistically evaluate each applicant as an individual - weighing personal attributes in equal measure with academic metrics and experiences."

Turns out I forgot to send it to NYMC!:poke:
I took the CASPer on 7/26. Hope this helps!!!