2016-2017 Pennsylvania State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got that hold email... but I'm happy it's not a rejection (yet)!

Reactions: 1 users
Just withdrew, so that should free up my spot for a January interview......I hope one of you all get it! Good Luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Haha sorry about that. We asked them to make sure the UP packet did not look like an acceptance packet to avoid that outcome, but I guess that isn't how it ended up. Just so everyone knows, anyone who showed interest in the Penn State UP program and has at least got an interview invite should have received (or should be receiving very shortly) a packet of information including a flash drive about our program. I do hope you get an acceptance letter soon (although that's unfortunately beyond my personal control)!

Is this sent after the interview takes place or after the II email is received?

are the people on hold pulled from the list for acceptance throughout the year? or only after may?

I'm on hold. From what I understand those on hold likely won't hear until April as hold = wait list which should start moving nextt spring :/

has anyone else not heard back since submitting late august?

no hold, no rejection, no II....not really sure if this much silence is a good thing

Reactions: 1 user
has anyone else not heard back since submitting late august?

no hold, no rejection, no II....not really sure if this much silence is a good thing

In the same boat as you !

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this sent after the interview takes place or after the II email is received?
We have been sending them out in batches every few weeks, I believe once the interviews take place. We sent the last batch out a week or two ago. With that said, I would be happy to give you more information if you haven't gotten the packet yet or if you have any questions. We're trying to be as open as possible and I recognize first-hand how mysterious the whole application process can be for you all. Feel free to PM me.

My LizzyM score is above 74 I think. I'm not expecting to get in or not get in, just wanted to know if they were still sending out interview requests. I have had other interviews at higher tier schools. I gave up understanding this process.

Hi I'm not sure if you ever had your question answered, but I got an II a few days ago (complete mid-August), and my LizzyM is 71. I will not be attending this interview, so hopefully more invites will continue to be sent out to you all!

Hi I'm not sure if you ever had your question answered, but I got an II a few days ago (complete mid-August), and my LizzyM is 71. I will not be attending this interview, so hopefully more invites will continue to be sent out to you all!
Oh okay! Thank you so much :)

I would call. I heard a few weeks ago and I interviewed 9/30.

EDIT: Unless you got the additional info tab
I did and they told me that my application is still under review. I don't know if that means a bad sign

I did and they told me that my application is still under review. I don't know if that means a bad sign
I'm not sure either. I waited 9 weeks and still was put on hold. So it could be good or bad.

After you interview and complete the post-interview survey, how long until they email you about the status page? (Where people see the 'additional correspondence')

At my interview at the end of October, they said 8-10 weeks. Hopefully that doesn't mean over 12. :nailbiting:

After you interview and complete the post-interview survey, how long until they email you about the status page? (Where people see the 'additional correspondence')

they say 6-8 weeks but its more like 8-10

Does when we finish the interview survey determine when our app is reviewed? I didn't do mine immediately following the interview...

Does when we finish the interview survey determine when our app is reviewed? I didn't do mine immediately following the interview...
I don't think it has anything to do with when you are reviewed. I did mine right away and still waited 9 weeks. I think it depends on your interviewer and when they could make the meetings, and how many times your application has to be reviewed before they can make the final decision. But who knows, this process keeps us in the dark alot.

Why would a committee review an app multiple times? Because they're deferring you essentially?

Why would a committee review an app multiple times? Because they're deferring you essentially?
Some places may review multiple times. Again I have no idea what they do, this is all speculation. I see no rhyme or reason behind the structure of the application process but clearly it has worked for years.

Same here...I interviewed end of October but didn't notice the survey til last week. Yikes.

Hi everyone, interviewed here 11/30 and absolutely LOVED the school. I'm not sure if this was answered earlier so I'm sorry if I'm repeating questions, but is it true that Penn State does not accept letters of intent? I want to send one as this is my top choice but I won't if it doesn't make a difference. Thanks!

To those that were accepted: Did any of you receive information on the Family medicine accelerated MD program? I am trying to figure out whether everyone gets it, or just people who show interest in primary care.

what happens if you didn't fill out the survey?!

While I think it's probably good to fill out the survey, I actually forgot to finish it (I wrote about half but then never went back and finished it) and to my knowledge there were no ill effects. Try to fill it out but don't stress if it went away.

Hi everyone, interviewed here 11/30 and absolutely LOVED the school. I'm not sure if this was answered earlier so I'm sorry if I'm repeating questions, but is it true that Penn State does not accept letters of intent? I want to send one as this is my top choice but I won't if it doesn't make a difference. Thanks!
I have inquired about this since I've spoken to several students interested in letters of intent, and it looks like PSUCOM does not really use letters of intent in making admissions decisions. It is unlikely to help or hurt you to write one, so unlike some other schools Penn State does not "accept" them in the sense that they are some sort of bonus for your case in the admissions process. Hope that helps.

Same here...I interviewed end of October but didn't notice the survey til last week. Yikes.

The survey should have no bearing on your admissions timeline nor admissions decision. The speed of your admissions decision is really just due to the timing and availability of members of your particular admissions group (there are several different admissions groups and some tend to meet sooner than others) to meet and discuss your application. In some cases this happens quickly and in some cases it takes longer. Therefore, even if someone from your interview day or even after it has heard their admissions decision, it could very well still be that your application hasn't been discussed yet. This does not mean you won't have a favorable outcome, just that the process is sometimes slow and imperfect. Hang in there :)

Last edited:
It really isn't a bad sign. As above, admissions groups meet at different times and some are faster than others to meet and to make admissions decisions. I remember last year trying to crack the code on the admissions process and its timing, but honestly at Penn State it is relatively straightforward. After you interview, the two interviewers have to submit their notes (sometimes this is done quickly and other times not). Then you are in the pool to be discussed at upcoming meetings of that admissions group. That group may meet soon or not for a few weeks if schedules don't match up well. In any given admissions group meeting, they try to get through as many students as they can, but they work to give each individual student's case the time it deserves and sometimes that makes another student's case not thoroughly heard until a later meeting. With all these variables in place totally outside the applicant's control, some applicants hear back in a month and some can be waiting much longer, even if they are wonderful applicants who will ultimately be accepted. I truly can empathize that patience can be frustrating as you wait for your admissions decision, but it will come :)

Reactions: 3 users
It really isn't a bad sign. As above, admissions groups meet at different times and some are faster than others to meet and to make admissions decisions. I remember last year trying to crack the code on the admissions process and its timing, but honestly at Penn State it is relatively straightforward. After you interview, the two interviewers have to submit their notes (sometimes this is done quickly and other times not). Then you are in the pool to be discussed at upcoming meetings of that admissions group. That group may meet soon or not for a few weeks if schedules don't match up well. In any given admissions group meeting, they try to get through as many students as they can, but they work to give each individual student's case the time it deserves and sometimes that makes another student's case not thoroughly heard until a later meeting. With all these variables in place totally outside the applicant's control, some applicants hear back in a month and some can be waiting much longer, even if they are wonderful applicants who will ultimately be accepted. I truly can empathize that patience can be frustrating as you wait for your admissions decision, but it will come :)
Thank you so much for your response!

In my thank you letters I also tied in that the school was my top choice. Sent letters to both doctors and someone else from admissions. Accepted afterwards so idk if that had anything to do with it

You think mid-October interviewees will hear back this week? Or is the office closed until January?

Does anyone know how to go about sending them an update of your transcript from Fall 2016 grades? Do we just have an official transcript mailed directly from our school to the admissions office?

Does anyone know how to go about sending them an update of your transcript from Fall 2016 grades? Do we just have an official transcript mailed directly from our school to the admissions office?
I have heard that people just download an unofficial transcript and email it, but that way sounds more official...not sure

I would email the admissions office and ask. Everyone there is very nice. I know they don't accept general updates and I'm not sure if they accept updated grades so it's definitely worth checking.

Last edited:
You think mid-October interviewees will hear back this week? Or is the office closed until January?
They weren't closed yesterday (got an email)! But I think I had to wait two weeks since the last batch of acceptances to receive mine - might be an every two week thing?

Does anyone know when mid to late October interviewees will hear back? I'm guessing in January since the holidays are right around the corner?