2016-2017 Pennsylvania State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
has anyone who interviewed mid/late oct heard yet??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Interviewed mid-October and haven't heard anything. They told me 6-8 weeks as I was leaving. It was my first interview but the only one I haven't heard from yet. I guess they're really behind

Members don't see this ad.

whatre the chances of receiving an II after being put on hold?! been on hold for a long time haha anyone else in this boat?

whatre the chances of receiving an II after being put on hold?! been on hold for a long time haha anyone else in this boat?

Been on hold for about a month. Was complete 3 months ago

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I was checking out last years thread and a couple of people got IIs after January. Do you have the "under review/interview" tab under your status? Im on hold as well

I was checking out last years thread and a couple of people got IIs after January. Do you have the "under review/interview" tab under your status? Im on hold as well
mine just says "interview hold - Your application is on hold"...ive been on hold since beginning of october lol

is that what youre talking about @itsallgood92 ?

Last edited:
does anyone know what dates they are currently offering for IIs?

Last edited:
Anyone know if psu has a place to store luggage during interview day?

the admissions office was really nice and i don't think they would have a problem finding a place for you to put it that day. maybe you could call ahead and ask just so they have a heads up about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Hershey have Uber? I won't have a car so I will need a way to get from my hotel to my interview next week.

Hi everyone! I'm currently a MS1 attending Penn State College of Medicine. For those that have been accepted, congratulations!! We are excited to meet you if you do decide to matriculate this upcoming Fall. An official Facebook group has been created for you to meet your prospective class, have discussions, and ask questions:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1408196925871838/

Best of luck to everyone and for those who may still be waiting!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
A facebook page has already been created:

Thank you for pointing that out and letting us know! We were unaware that another Facebook group was created prior to making the official one. We will work with the few people in the first Facebook group transition over to the new one. As of now, please use the newer group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1408196925871838/) as current MS1's are acting as the Admins.

We apologize for the inconvenience and any confusion we may have caused!

what form are post-interview holds and rejections sent in? snail mail as well?

Coming up on 12 weeks since my interview. I understand they might need time but why make the point of telling us 6-8 weeks at the interview? Better to just not say anything

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone gotten a II while being on hold?

At this point, I am convinced that my application has fallen behind a desk somewhere. Complete since late July, no II, no hold, no rejection. Lol.

At this point, I am convinced that my application has fallen behind a desk somewhere. Complete since late July, no II, no hold, no rejection. Lol.

Same, no response what so ever lol

Any interview on 12/5? I know its too early but I really hope to heard back soon!

Any folks who interviewed in November still waiting to hear back?

I interviewed 10/21 and haven't heard anything yet. Haven't gotten any acceptances so fingers crossed that will know by February so I can keep building my resume for next year!

I interviewed 10/21 and haven't heard anything yet. Haven't gotten any acceptances so fingers crossed that will know by February so I can keep building my resume for next year!
I interviewed that same week and still haven't heard anything. Today marks the 11th week post-interview. I really want to know what's going on behind the scenes for this school.

Just recieved an interview invite today for February 6.

For any current students, is there a focus on internal medicine at penn state? I am trying to interpret their match lists and it seems like there are a fair amount of specialties. I see derm, ophtho, neurology, anesthesiology, ortho, etc. It looks like a mixed bag, all in pretty "good" locations.

I know penn state isn't regarded as a top medical school, but it looks like it sets students up to match into competitive residencies

To anyone who's been accepted, did you receive any kind of confirmation that the office received your acknowledgement of acceptance form?

To anyone who's been accepted, did you receive any kind of confirmation that the office received your acknowledgement of acceptance form?
Yeah, I got an email saying they received it.
edit: within the week that I mailed it in.

For any current students, is there a focus on internal medicine at penn state? I am trying to interpret their match lists and it seems like there are a fair amount of specialties. I see derm, ophtho, neurology, anesthesiology, ortho, etc. It looks like a mixed bag, all in pretty "good" locations.

I know penn state isn't regarded as a top medical school, but it looks like it sets students up to match into competitive residencies
There is no explicit focus on internal medicine (or any other specialty) at Penn State at either campus. Internal medicine is relatively popular, but no more so than at other medical schools. As you say, people end up in all sorts of fields. I would agree that the match lists look good and that was a factor in my deciding to come to Penn State.

There is no explicit focus on internal medicine (or any other specialty) at Penn State at either campus. Internal medicine is relatively popular, but no more so than at other medical schools. As you say, people end up in all sorts of fields. I would agree that the match lists look good and that was a factor in my deciding to come to Penn State.

Thanks! Follow up question. For students shooting for competitive specialties like derm or rad onc, is there AOA or a ranking system at penn state? Pre clinical years are strictly pass fail? Or pass fail honors?

I was reading last year's thread. I haven't seen anything about it this year, but did accepted students see the additional info tab at all this year, or have they fixed that?

I on 11/15, still no word.

I was reading last year's thread. I haven't seen anything about it this year, but did accepted students see the additional info tab at all this year, or have they fixed that?

I on 11/15, still no word.
You still get the additional info tab prior to being accepted via mail :)

Thanks! Follow up question. For students shooting for competitive specialties like derm or rad onc, is there AOA or a ranking system at penn state? Pre clinical years are strictly pass fail? Or pass fail honors?
Yes I'm pretty sure there is AOA. There is not a ranking system (they seem to be falling out of favor at a lot of medical schools). Pre-clinical years are strictly pass/fail, yes.

Ayy, that's pretty neat. Seems like they're hella backed up anyway tho so not hold my breath.
Yeah. Im guessing that they're about to get back to people who interviewed the first two weeks of October at least! My interview was the end of September.

Yeah. Im guessing that they're about to get back to people who interviewed the first two weeks of October at least! My interview was the end of September.

I interviewed 10/5 and was accepted on 12/5