You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 Pennsylvania State University Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I believe that as soon as you sign up for the new MCAT, it shows up on your application and your status will change to hold/processing again. However, shooting an email could not hurt.If I just received my horribly disappointing MCAT score (already submitted this cycle), am I able to let the school know that I will be re-taking and to expect to see a revised score by xxx date?
HOWEVER...do not take the MCAT unless you know you can improve significantly (5+ points). Rushing to take it again could not only result in another poor score, but also, in you looking as though you have poor decision making skills (e.g. 'jumping the gun', impatient, etc.). The AAMC came out with a PPT of data stating that the average improvement in 2015 for repeat test takers was 2 points (again, people jumping the gun; I believe in the 1/2 pt improvement per month mott0, myself). In the grand scheme of life, taking another year off will not hurt you, and you can end up saving a lot of money (applying late to MD is lethal unless you have sexy stats).
Best of luck. You will get there!
I have been feeling panicky and 'jump the gun'-esque over this whole thing, so this is really fantastic advice. And the encouragement is much appreciated!! Ty!!!I believe that as soon as you sign up for the new MCAT, it shows up on your application and your status will change to hold/processing again. However, shooting an email could not hurt.
HOWEVER...do not take the MCAT unless you know you can improve significantly (5+ points). Rushing to take it again could not only result in another poor score, but also, in you looking as though you have poor decision making skills (e.g. 'jumping the gun', impatient, etc.). In the grand scheme of life, taking another year off will not hurt you, and you can end up saving a lot of money (applying late to MD is lethal unless you have sexy stats).
Best of luck. You will get there!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you are planning on taking the MCAT after you submit your Secondary Application, do you want to hold processing of your admission application until receipt of these scores (see instructions)?
1) NO, begin processing my application immediately
2) I do not plan to take the MCAT after I submit my Secondary Application
Doesn't this mean the same thing? What the hell do you choose? 1 sounds more definite and faster, but why are people here choosing 2?
I think number 1 is implying that you are retaking the MCAT but you don't want them to wait for it but number 2 is saying you definitely aren't taking the MCAT again. That's how i interpreted it
If you are planning on taking the MCAT after you submit your Secondary Application, do you want to hold processing of your admission application until receipt of these scores (see instructions)?
1) NO, begin processing my application immediately
2) I do not plan to take the MCAT after I submit my Secondary Application
Doesn't this mean the same thing? What the hell do you choose? 1 sounds more definite and faster, but why are people here choosing 2?
1) means you have already taken the MCAT but are planning on taking another one after submitting your secondary, and you don't want them to wait on it to review your app (aka you don't care if they only use your first score in deciding whether or not to send you an II)
2) means you aren't taking another MCAT
Everyone applying here has done some sort of Behavioral science class in undergrad?? Do you know how strict they are in enforcing this requirement ?
I'm fairly certain that all requirements are 'set in stone', otherwise they would just be suggestions.Everyone applying here has done some sort of Behavioral science class in undergrad?? Do you know how strict they are in enforcing this requirement ?
The good news is that you still have an entire academic year to register for a behavioral science course. Best of luck!
Thank you for your response I will call to ask Monday. But do you think any of these classes may fill that requirement.I'm fairly certain that all requirements are 'set in stone', otherwise they would just be suggestions.
The good news is that you still have an entire academic year to register for a behavioral science course. Best of luck!
Urban Planning
A class about the Age of the renaissance
Or a class about war in the Asia Pacific
Or a film class
Also interviewing 9/30 in the morning! 🙂There's a bus I hear- I'm interviewing on September 30th, I'm driving out from NJ on the 29th and leaving at 2:00 PM after the morning interviews finish, I wouldn't be opposed to having company in the car, you can message me if you're interviewing the same day/ interested!
No problem!Thank you for your response I will call to ask Monday. But do you think any of these classes may fill that requirement.
Urban Planning
A class about the Age of the renaissance
Or a class about war in the Asia Pacific
Or a film class
You never know...maybe (but I doubt it)? I'm thinking it would be more along the lines of: social psychology, animal psychology, intro to sociology/psychology, cognitive science, etc. (i.e. anything having to do with human behavior + science). But give it a try, you have nothing to lose.
PS - I like the quote in your signature!
Thanks, I will give them a call and see what they say. This Is the only school I see that requires it from my list and one more just recommends it. So I will have to do the cost benefits of spending money on classes over the summer for one school even though its a school that I like alotNo problem!
You never know...maybe (but I doubt it)? I'm thinking it would be more along the lines of: social psychology, animal psychology, intro to sociology/psychology, cognitive science, etc. (i.e. anything having to do with human behavior + science). But give it a try, you have nothing to lose.
PS - I like the quote in your signature!
Last edited:
they have an awesome deal with marriott springhill suites - its only $69 bucks if you bring your interview invitation letter!Is anyone staying with a student host the night before the interview?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Great deal! I only live 2 hours away but I don't want to risk anything during travel. Thank youthey have an awesome deal with marriott springhill suites - its only $69 bucks if you bring your interview invitation letter!
Thanks! Completed on 8/5.Congrats! When were you complete? 🙂
Thanks! Completed on 8/5.
Thanks for sharing ~ Good luck on your interview!!
II OOS
II OOS
Damnnnn @doctorbob23. Back at it again with the interviews!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Holy... the number is extremely impressive, but then to think you also have >50% II. CongratulationsII OOS
Has anyone booked a room at the Springhill Suites at the discounted rate? I'm trying to do so and it's not working for me.
Yup, booked late last week. Did you call in and ask specifically for the med school interviewee discount? It might take a minute for them to find the right discount on their end, but it definitely works.Has anyone booked a room at the Springhill Suites at the discounted rate? I'm trying to do so and it's not working for me.
II! Complete first week of August.
Congratulations! Do you mind sharing stats, is/oos, unique ec's?II! Complete first week of August.
First II! OOS
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats!First II! OOS

ORM, OOS, very community-based EC's particularly service, LM ~70Congratulations! Do you mind sharing stats, is/oos, unique ec's?
FIRST II!!!!!! Soooooo pumped!!! OOS but have family in PA and live in an adjacent state, Lizzy M ~66 but extensive research experience. SO thrilled!!! Available dates were end of October. Complete around end of July/early August.
Omg so excited for you!!! Congrats!!!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Congrats!deleted.
Edit: submit app on 7/26
Traditional or non-traditional applicant
I've been scanning the website and I was just wondering about the regional campus positions. Is it just a few spots or are they accepting many and more students overall? Also, can you do clinical rotations at the children's hospital?
Thanks in advance 🙂
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thanks in advance 🙂
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I've been scanning the website and I was just wondering about the regional campus positions. Is it just a few spots or are they accepting many and more students overall? Also, can you do clinical rotations at the children's hospital?
Thanks in advance 🙂
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I'm not entirely sure how many students they're accepting for the regional campus, but it is something that you apply for after you've already been accepted into the MD program. The way I understand it, I don't think it will significantly affect the number of accepted students. At the interview, what they stressed was that new for the 2017 entering class is that you can do all four years at University Park rather than just the last two.
As for clinicals, after your required rotations which are more or less assigned, you are able to select any hospital/department in the PSU system that matches with your professional goals so I'm gonna go with yes, you will be able do clinical rotations at the children's hospital at some point.
thanks! traditional.Congrats!
Traditional or non-traditional applicant
Congrats! Complete date?II this morning! OOS. Soooo stoked 🙂
You should be! It is an awesome school. 🙂 Congrats!II this morning! OOS. Soooo stoked 🙂
Just submitted my secondary for this school.
Hopefully, I get an interview.
Hopefully, I get an interview.
Congrats, would you mind sharing your statsII this morning! OOS. Soooo stoked 🙂
Complete 08/10Congrats! Complete date?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MCAT 506, 3.8 cGPA and sGPACongrats, would you mind sharing your stats
How many faculty members can we expect to be interviewing with?
It's 2 interviewers each a half an hour or less!very laid back
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile