Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 Pennsylvania State University Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Did you also have high stats?Rejected from my alma mater today. Cheers, PSU.
Did you get an email or did you check the portal?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know this is probably not going to make you feel much better, but a lot of people (who may be just as, if not more qualified) do not have interviews at this point either. Distract yourself with something while waiting - it's what I've been doing to try to distance myself from the fact that I've been just getting hold after hold XD
Wishing you the best! It's a long process (ugh) but we'll make it through one way or another 😛
Thanks guys. I'm trying to wait it out but it's pretty hard when I rarely get news. And when the only news I get isn't good.But...
You have an above average MCAT score and a solid GPA. Honestly, at least one school is going to be interested in you. And I'm not just saying that because it's probably want you wanna hear. But your chance of getting at least an interview is higher than some other people , including me.
Join me in furyRejected from my alma mater today. Cheers, PSU.
Was really hoping for an interview but I've gotta say that was probably the nicest 'hold' email I could have possibly received
Edit: For clarification if anyone was confused, I meant "nicely worded"
Edit: For clarification if anyone was confused, I meant "nicely worded"
Are you kidding me with this? Dude, get a grip. This "Woe is me" crap is childish. This is MD admissions we're talking about.. and you're sitting on a 520 MCAT. Worst case scenario you have to spend this year beefing up your application, improving your writing and reapply next year. It's not the end of the world. Plus it's only October 5th... Plenty of people get II's in December and even after New Years.I don't even have any fricken interviews. I hate my life rn
How good your application is is completely in your control. Get off SDN and go do some EC's or something.
Edit: I realize this sounds pretty harsh, but all I'm trying to say is sometimes it's useful to take a step back a put things into perspective a bit. Plus self pity is the opposite of constructive. I;m sure you'll get some positive news one of these weeks! Good Luck
I was to0...I'm not sure but I looked through other threads and some were rejected and some were interviewed, hard to tell the ratio though. I think it simply means they want to pass our apps around to others? Still disheartening though. My first response from a school and I was a late applicant (complete 9/14).
3.7/3.6 GPA/sGPA and 513 MCAT IS applicant
Right, who knows? SDN doesn't have everyone on here either, so it's basically a crapshoot now 😛
Good luck with all your other schools and hopefully we can both hear something good from Penn eventually!
Complete 8/1. Crickets. Nothing.
Rejected. F this process.
~3.5 gpa, 520 MCAT. OOS, complete 9/03.
They probably just assume everyone else wants you and don't want to waste an interview on someone who likely wouldn't go there? Keep your chin up I'm sure plenty are to come! Congrats on the MCAT
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Lol I can hope. Thanks manThey probably just assume everyone else wants you and don't want to waste an interview on someone who likely wouldn't go there? Keep your chin up I'm sure plenty are to come! Congrats on the MCAT
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys!! I just got put on hold today too (LM=69, GPA=3.64, MCAT=514 for those wondering). Anyhow, I have some good news for the rest of the hold crew from my friend that's currently MS1 at PSU. She has a friend in admissions who said PSU has a monthly cap on the number of interviews they give. If you don't make the cut for an II during the first month that your file is completed, they either reject you outright, or put you in the pool to be possibly chosen for next month's interviews (this pool is the hold list). So keep your chin up guys!! There are still many months left during which we could be picked for one of the interview spots. Someone got accepted in July last year, so there's still plenty of time.
+1Complete end of July OOS and crickets 👍
Complete end of July and crickets 👍
+2
If that's the case, even though everything is electronic nowadays, I'm imagining that my file was left delicately balanced on the toilet paper dispenser in a bathroom 2 months ago, and then during an emergency, papers filled with my (short) life's achievments and accomplishments were used as a poor improvisation for some charmin ultra soft.Hi guys!! I just got put on hold today too (LM=69, GPA=3.64, MCAT=514 for those wondering). Anyhow, I have some good news for the rest of the hold crew from my friend that's currently MS1 at PSU. She has a friend in admissions who said PSU has a monthly cap on the number of interviews they give. If you don't make the cut for an II during the first month that your file is completed, they either reject you outright, or put you in the pool to be possibly chosen for next month's interviews (this pool is the hold list). So keep your chin up guys!! There are still many months left during which we could be picked for one of the interview spots. Someone got accepted in July last year, so there's still plenty of time.
And that's okay.
Are you kidding me with this? Dude, get a grip. This "Woe is me" crap is childish. This is MD admissions we're talking about.. and you're sitting on a 520 MCAT. Worst case scenario you have to spend this year beefing up your application, improving your writing and reapply next year. It's not the end of the world. Plus it's only October 5th... Plenty of people get II's in December and even after New Years.
How good your application is is completely in your control. Get off SDN and go do some EC's or something.
Edit: I realize this sounds pretty harsh, but all I'm trying to say is sometimes it's useful to take a step back a put things into perspective a bit. Plus self pity is the opposite of constructive. I;m sure you'll get some positive news one of these weeks! Good Luck
Gonna have to agree with this poster. You've been posting around these forums complaining about this process when in reality the problem is 100% you. The fact that you have a 520 MCAT and no IIs tells you that there is something else going on with your app (and no, it's not your GPA).
Get someone to looks at your essays (PS, secondary, etc). How close are you to writers? How strong were your ECs? All you do is whine, whine, whine but I haven't seen you try to receive any constructive criticism.
Seriously, man. Grow up. You're not the only one having troubles in this cycle.
Complete early Aug and no news here. Hopefully that's a good sign?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Complete early Aug and no news here. Hopefully that's a good sign?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Haha that's what I'm hoping for as well! Trying to do fun things to keep my mind off of admissions. Slowly realizing that obsessing over it isn't gonna get me in any faster
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II
completed 9/13
completed 9/13
Congrats! Stats? Also, do you know what your status was before getting an invite?II
completed 9/13
II
completed 9/13
Looks like you avoided the purge! Good luck! 😉
Interviewing here tomorrow! Anyone have any last minute advice?
Statues didnt change (from the initial one) before getting the invite. Stats on the low 60sCongrats! Stats? Also, do you know what your status was before getting an invite?
T.Y, I checked 5 times that day to see if I got rejected, first II so im pretty stoked.Looks like you avoided the purge! Good luck! 😉
Has anyone here been complete WITHOUT getting a complete email? I just checked my portal to see a green check mark next to Application Complete but never received email confirmation.
Interviewing here tomorrow! Anyone have any last minute advice?
Can't really give any interviewing advice since each interviewer is different. In terms of the school, don't be fooled by the appearance of the building and rural area. My first impression as I pulled into the parking lot was "dam... this place looks like crap lol" Granted I interviewed in the middle of a snow storm, but after I went to the waiting area and completed the tour, I thought I was walking around a combination of a 5 star hotel and modern science museum. I also explored some of the stores around the area and they were very big, nice, and clean as well. Everyone was super nice and cordial, so relax and have fun tomorrow! GL!
II this morning! Complete 9/1
This thread perfectly shows how there is no chronological order to file review
This thread perfectly shows how there is no chronological order to file review
probably the case for most if not all schools even tho many like to claim "applications will be reviewed in the order of completion date" bunch of baloney i tell ya
What does the hold say? I have been complete and haven't gotten one...I was to0...I'm not sure but I looked through other threads and some were rejected and some were interviewed, hard to tell the ratio though. I think it simply means they want to pass our apps around to others? Still disheartening though. My first response from a school and I was a late applicant (complete 9/14).
3.7/3.6 GPA/sGPA and 513 MCAT IS applicant
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
those with II are you using a student host or a hotel ?
Complete 7/28, put on hold 10/5. It says:What does the hold say? I have been complete and haven't gotten one...
The Admissions Committee has completed a thorough review of your application and has placed it in the “Continue to Review” category. Your application will be reviewed periodically during the remainder of the process until a decision is made whether you will be invited for an interview at a later date or not.
Because of the large size of our applicant pool, many applications must be placed in this category so that the Admissions Committee can provide a fair and thorough evaluation of all candidates for admission. Please know that this is a common action, and that your application is still under active review by the Admissions Committee.
You should also be aware that a decision for interview is based on the information presently contained in your file. We will not accept application updates, letters of intent or additional letters of recommendation. You will be informed immediately when a final decision on your status is made.
We appreciate your interest in The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine.
Complete 7/28, put on hold 10/5. It says:
The Admissions Committee has completed a thorough review of your application and has placed it in the “Continue to Review” category. Your application will be reviewed periodically during the remainder of the process until a decision is made whether you will be invited for an interview at a later date or not.
Because of the large size of our applicant pool, many applications must be placed in this category so that the Admissions Committee can provide a fair and thorough evaluation of all candidates for admission. Please know that this is a common action, and that your application is still under active review by the Admissions Committee.
You should also be aware that a decision for interview is based on the information presently contained in your file. We will not accept application updates, letters of intent or additional letters of recommendation. You will be informed immediately when a final decision on your status is made.
We appreciate your interest in The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine.
Can I ask what your stats are and are you IS/OOS?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
