You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 Rutgers University - NJMS Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Surprised I still haven't gotten this one! IS, verified 6/14
Surprised I still haven't gotten this one! IS, verified 6/14
They're taking care of ED first. I know several people who have gotten in from ED already.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They're taking care of ED first. I know several people who have gotten in from ED already.
Makes sense, though plenty of other schools have ED programs.
Makes sense, though plenty of other schools have ED programs.
NJMS has a true ED process. Some schools have ED but they don't necessarily give the ED applicants the same priority that NJMs does. Basically, they exclusively work on ED applications before even looking at regular decision applications. That's why they say it's low risk to apply to NJMS ED because they're guarantees to get back to you while it's still relatively early at other schools. Not all schools operate this way.
ACCEPTED!!! I just can't believe it happened!🙂
Congrats! What day did you interview?ACCEPTED!!! I just can't believe it happened!🙂
Thanks! I did my interview on July 7thCongrats! What day did you interview?
Hey all, was just invited for II. I have heard that you can request a student interview here, is that something that you do once you are at your regular interview or do you sign up in advance? Also, does anyone who interviewed here have some suggestions on how to prepare? Thanks in advance and congrats to all the people who already got in!
Hey,Hey all, was just invited for II. I have heard that you can request a student interview here, is that something that you do once you are at your regular interview or do you sign up in advance? Also, does anyone who interviewed here have some suggestions on how to prepare? Thanks in advance and congrats to all the people who already got in!
For me I did not have the chance to request a student interview, it was just conventional faculty interview where knowing your application well can help!
Congrats on the interview! Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I was wondering if you are RD or ED? Thanks!Hey all, was just invited for II. I have heard that you can request a student interview here, is that something that you do once you are at your regular interview or do you sign up in advance? Also, does anyone who interviewed here have some suggestions on how to prepare? Thanks in advance and congrats to all the people who already got in!
for RD you get a faculty and student interview. its optional, but i would always go with it. i heard the student interview is definitely more relaxed. i would definitely recommend having questions for both the faculty member and the student interviewer.
for ED, we only have a faculty interview
I am ED.Congrats on the interview! Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I was wondering if you are RD or ED? Thanks!
for RD you get a faculty and student interview. its optional, but i would always go with it. i heard the student interview is definitely more relaxed. i would definitely recommend having questions for both the faculty member and the student interviewer.
I'm assuming you got in ED? do you have any recommendations for the interview? Im doing ED
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It is a pretty relaxed interview. Be prepared for ethical questions, why NJMS, and "do you have any questions for me?". Typical stuff, but make sure you cover all your bases.I'm assuming you got in ED? do you have any recommendations for the interview? Im doing ED
Know your application inside out! My interview was really relaxed and the doctor just basically wanted to make sure I could carry a normal conversation, but another person who interviewed the same day as me told me her guy asked her to describe glycolysis and transcription/translation bc she had written one sentence about her biochemistry class in her application. Most of all, just relax, and make sure to ask questions at the end. I asked about how students liked the new curriculum and how it had affected test scores, and how exams and blocks worked, and some others I can't remember right now.I'm assuming you got in ED? do you have any recommendations for the interview? Im doing ED
Good Luck!! 🙂
when is your interview? If you don't mind me asking.Hey all, was just invited for II. I have heard that you can request a student interview here, is that something that you do once you are at your regular interview or do you sign up in advance? Also, does anyone who interviewed here have some suggestions on how to prepare? Thanks in advance and congrats to all the people who already got in!
when is your interview? If you don't mind me asking.
I'll PM you, I dont want the whole world to be able to figure out who I am...congrats on your acceptance though thats so great! Realllllllly hoping we are classmates.
Know your application inside out! My interview was really relaxed and the doctor just basically wanted to make sure I could carry a normal conversation, but another person who interviewed the same day as me told me her guy asked her to describe glycolysis and transcription/translation bc she had written one sentence about her biochemistry class in her application. Most of all, just relax, and make sure to ask questions at the end. I asked about how students liked the new curriculum and how it had affected test scores, and how exams and blocks worked, and some others I can't remember right now.
Good Luck!! 🙂
I did research in organic chemistry...I really hope they dont ask me a mechanism during my interview lmao. Thanks for the advice and the heads up that glycolysis and transcription/ translation question isnt hard to answer but I never would have imagined being asked an academic question on an interview that seems very strange to me. I wonder if they do it just to see how you react more so than your answer? It's like....how much detail would you go into? I'm going to think up some questions today. Congrats on the acceptance!
has anyone received a secondary yet? regular decision
Congratulations on the interview! If you don't mind me asking, when were you complete (including the secondary)?Hey all, was just invited for II. I have heard that you can request a student interview here, is that something that you do once you are at your regular interview or do you sign up in advance? Also, does anyone who interviewed here have some suggestions on how to prepare? Thanks in advance and congrats to all the people who already got in!
Congratulations on the interview! If you don't mind me asking, when were you complete (including the secondary)?
I was complete on the 19th, but they had my secondary and app for like a week or so before that, I was just waiting for my mcat score to be complete so as soon as they got I was invited on the 20th.
ED?I was complete on the 19th, but they had my secondary and app for like a week or so before that, I was just waiting for my mcat score to be complete so as soon as they got I was invited on the 20th.
Yes, ED. I don't think they do any RD until they are completely done with ED applicants.
RD secondary just came in
+1 on the RD secondary! Received and submitted.
+2 RD Secondary Received!
Is there a difference between these two questions:
9. Please discuss additional information not addressed in your application that you feel is important for the screening committee to know in reviewing your application (i.e. personal experiences, examples of resilience, discrepancies in academic history, etc...).
10. If there is any other information you feel enriches your candidacy, please feel free to share it here:
It seems like they are asking the same thing? Is one of them optional? I usually don't answer the any additional information essay.... but I can't tell if these are mandatory as there is no optional sign
9. Please discuss additional information not addressed in your application that you feel is important for the screening committee to know in reviewing your application (i.e. personal experiences, examples of resilience, discrepancies in academic history, etc...).
10. If there is any other information you feel enriches your candidacy, please feel free to share it here:
It seems like they are asking the same thing? Is one of them optional? I usually don't answer the any additional information essay.... but I can't tell if these are mandatory as there is no optional sign
I don't think they screen because I submitted my application a week ago and I got my secondary today.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there a difference between these two questions:
9. Please discuss additional information not addressed in your application that you feel is important for the screening committee to know in reviewing your application (i.e. personal experiences, examples of resilience, discrepancies in academic history, etc...).
10. If there is any other information you feel enriches your candidacy, please feel free to share it here:
It seems like they are asking the same thing? Is one of them optional? I usually don't answer the any additional information essay.... but I can't tell if these are mandatory as there is no optional sign
For question 9 I wrote about one of the topics in parentheses. For question 10 I put another spin on bringing diversity by talking talking about one of my hobbies.
Is there a difference between these two questions:
9. Please discuss additional information not addressed in your application that you feel is important for the screening committee to know in reviewing your application (i.e. personal experiences, examples of resilience, discrepancies in academic history, etc...).
10. If there is any other information you feel enriches your candidacy, please feel free to share it here:
It seems like they are asking the same thing? Is one of them optional? I usually don't answer the any additional information essay.... but I can't tell if these are mandatory as there is no optional sign
I think you should answer both. Think about it like this, is everything you want them to know on that first application? I'm pretty sure you can write about something that you want them to know, something that can show you are built for this career that hasn't been brought up on your AMCAS app.
Finally got the secondary!
The wording of #9 implies that they want a response there. I was planning to write NA but now I don't think that would be a good idea
The wording of #9 implies that they want a response there. I was planning to write NA but now I don't think that would be a good idea
If nothing else, I'd put in your standard"adversity" essay.
The wording of #9 implies that they want a response there. I was planning to write NA but now I don't think that would be a good idea
That is definitely not a good idea. Dr. Heinrich (lord of admissions) has told people to leave nothing blank. My only "N/A" was regarding New Jersey residency.
That is definitely not a good idea. Dr. Heinrich (lord of admissions) has told people to leave nothing blank. My only "N/A" was regarding New Jersey residency.
I agree completely, I have heard him say multiple times not to leave things blank and to address any weaknesses head on because they will always assume the worst unless you tell them otherwise.
also, I was obviously wrong about not sending out secondary's for RD until ED is done lol....hope this isn't a bad sign for us ED people who haven't interviewed yet =/
That is definitely not a good idea. Dr. Heinrich (lord of admissions) has told people to leave nothing blank. My only "N/A" was regarding New Jersey residency.
Uh...already submitted at 8:30 AM with 9 and 10 blank. I guess we'll see how things turn out.
I agree completely, I have heard him say multiple times not to leave things blank and to address any weaknesses head on because they will always assume the worst unless you tell them otherwise.
I read this as "do not address weaknesses head on" and had a small freak out! Now I am glad I decided to write a bit about my ****ty freshman and sophomore grades 🙂
also, I was obviously wrong about not sending out secondary's for RD until ED is done lol....hope this isn't a bad sign for us ED people who haven't interviewed yet =/
I guess I was wrong about that too because that's what I assumed! I wouldn't really worry if I were you though! Are you GSBS? Heinrich also mentioned to us several times how they'll just assume the worst lol
I guess I was wrong about that too because that's what I assumed! I wouldn't really worry if I were you though! Are you GSBS? Heinrich also mentioned to us several times how they'll just assume the worst lol
^ hey cool, i am in the GSBS program too!
^ hey cool, i am in the GSBS program too!
No I am not but out of curiosity what does that stand for? I just kind of emailed him and have been in contact with him and asked him a million questions because I'm sort of non traditional. He's an incredibly nice guy who will help anyone out and doesn't seem to blow any smoke about the process.
Graduate School of Biomedical SciencesNo I am not but out of curiosity what does that stand for? I just kind of emailed him and have been in contact with him and asked him a million questions because I'm sort of non traditional. He's an incredibly nice guy who will help anyone out and doesn't seem to blow any smoke about the process.
Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
Oh okay cool. I feel like students applying from that program are at a huge advantage since they already know you can handle their curriculum and know you well and you really know about the school. I hope that's not taken in a way where it seems like I'm saying you guys don't deserve admissions, because that's not what I mean at all. I couldn't imagine the pressure of a program like that.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh okay cool. I feel like students applying from that program are at a huge advantage since they already know you can handle their curriculum and know you well and you really know about the school. I hope that's not taken in a way where it seems like I'm saying you guys don't deserve admissions, because that's not what I mean at all. I couldn't imagine the pressure of a program like that.
i definitely do not take offense to that lol. And it goes both ways...some people reach out to ad com and some don't. it all depends on wether or not you are taking advantage of what they offer
I JUST got a secondary and I see that some people are already accepted.
Are those accepted all ED?
I am not.
Def all ED. No one is allowed to accept non-ED students until October.
I received a secondary from this school on Saturday, weird right? What is WEIRDER is that AMCAS has not verified me yet. I am not sure if AMCAS is just late on sending me a verification email, or if this school has old records of mine from applying to a diff program a few years back. or maybe they really really want me. Which would be great because I really really want them.
Is there a difference between these two questions:
9. Please discuss additional information not addressed in your application that you feel is important for the screening committee to know in reviewing your application (i.e. personal experiences, examples of resilience, discrepancies in academic history, etc...).
10. If there is any other information you feel enriches your candidacy, please feel free to share it here:
It seems like they are asking the same thing? Is one of them optional? I usually don't answer the any additional information essay.... but I can't tell if these are mandatory as there is no optional sign
I left #9 blank and wrote on #10. I did not know about not leaving anything blank. I just did not want to be repetitive. Darn it. I hope they still want me.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 253
- Views
- 93K