2016-2017 Saint Louis University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have any further information regarding their accreditation probation?? Is this something to really worry about?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted off waitlist!! Hang in there everyone!

Reactions: 7 users
For those of you accepted off of the waitlist, did any of you submit letters of intent?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you accepted off of the waitlist, did any of you submit letters of intent?
I submitted one back in February when I was waitlisted.

Just a heads up to the incoming class...your curriculum might be drastically changed...and probably not in the less stressful way it was advertised to you on your interview here. The new SLU SOM Dean is making sure of that.

Please explain.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just a heads up to the incoming class...your curriculum might be drastically changed...and probably not in the less stressful way it was advertised to you on your interview here. The new SLU SOM Dean is making sure of that.

What does that mean?

One of the leading faculty members that has been developing the low-stress curriculum was laid off recently. They were the head of the program, so there's going to be changes.

Any idea of what the changes might include?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

One of the leading faculty members that has been developing the low-stress curriculum was laid off recently. They were the head of the program, so there's going to be changes.

So you're assuming based off of the lay off or have they specifically mentioned changes?

Changes doesn't necessarily imply doing away with student wellness, does it?

The email Dr. Behrns sent specifically stated, "[He] decided that a change in leadership in our curriculum development and oversight is needed," as the "program must undergo remediation and substantial change as outlined by the LCME report." What I'm taking from the email is that he's going to be more in line with the LCME and have less focus on student wellness. Whether that means a shift to PBL, TBL, etc. will be anyone's guess. They may keep the preclinical year curricula since that passed the LCME with some additional ropes to jump through. But your future clinical years will definitely be affected. The faculty member that is leaving created the curriculum with the sole intent of student wellness, and he saw that through; his displacement means that this aspect of the curriculum will be diminished.

Is there any way current students could let the administration know that they would like to see a continued focus on mental well-being?

The email Dr. Behrns sent specifically stated, "[He] decided that a change in leadership in our curriculum development and oversight is needed," as the "program must undergo remediation and substantial change as outlined by the LCME report." What I'm taking from the email is that he's going to be more in line with the LCME and have less focus on student wellness. Whether that means a shift to PBL, TBL, etc. will be anyone's guess. They may keep the preclinical year curricula since that passed the LCME with some additional ropes to jump through. But your future clinical years will definitely be affected. The faculty member that is leaving created the curriculum with the sole intent of student wellness, and he saw that through; his displacement means that this aspect of the curriculum will be diminished.

How do you think clinical years could be changed for better or worse?

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for sharing this, but your logic is faulty. Just because the laid off person was someone who championed student wellness, does not mean that student wellness will not be a consideration of the school going forward. Change maybe coming, but let's not look for hidden demons where there be none.

depends if the rest of the faculty has the same interest in student health. Most are too busy with clinic and publications.

Withdrew my acceptance this morning, hope one of you gets it!!

Reactions: 5 users
Also withdrawing this week. Good luck to all of you!

Reactions: 3 users
Also withdrawing this week. Good luck to all of you!
If you don't mind me asking, were you accepted today?

Also congrats on your acceptances!

Reactions: 1 users
To current SLU students, has the administration been sending updates on their efforts to fix the probation? If so would you mind sharing those emails on this thread?

I am currently 50/50 between SLU and another similar-ranked school and I need to decide soon...

To current SLU students, has the administration been sending updates on their efforts to fix the probation? If so would you mind sharing those emails on this thread?

I am currently 50/50 between SLU and another similar-ranked school and I need to decide soon...
Not a current student yet. But this is from the accepted students fb page.

LCME Accreditation : SLU

Any acceptances this week from the waitlist? Just wondering when the next batch of acceptances will be and hoping they are sooner rather than later :)

Any acceptances this week from the waitlist? Just wondering when the next batch of acceptances will be and hoping they are sooner rather than later :)
Hoping for some good news for all of us today this week :) Based on the last couple weeks (and updates on SDN), starting to think they organize the waitlist on Mondays.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I was unexpectedly accepted from the waitlist this week. I had already paid for transcripts to be sent to AMCAS for the 2018 cycle but I'm not mad at all about this development.

Congratulations!! :soexcited:That's so exciting!! It's promising to know that the list is moving. If you don't mind, can you please share your stats?

I was unexpectedly accepted from the waitlist this week. I had already paid for transcripts to be sent to AMCAS for the 2018 cycle but I'm not mad at all about this development.

congrats! I even saw your WAMC thread for 2018 a few weeks ago :)

Last year I was accepted off the waitlist and accepted the full amount of loans. In September, after school started they told me I got a need based scholarship. Bad news, you may not hear for a while. Good news, just because you were accepted from the waitlist shouldn't determine whether or not you get a need based scholarship. Just my experience. Congrats on the acceptance!

Esta mañana recibí buenas noticias de SLU, me mandaron un e-correo con notificación de admisión. A todos que todavía esperan les bendiga y no sientan desesperanzado.

Reactions: 6 users
I got accepted from the waitlist this morning as well!! :clap: Super excited and most likely will be attending. I hope all of you on the waitlist hear good news soon!!

At this point, I feel like I'm the only one on this thread still waitlisted :eek:

Reactions: 6 users
Last year I was accepted off the waitlist and accepted the full amount of loans. In September, after school started they told me I got a need based scholarship. Bad news, you may not hear for a while. Good news, just because you were accepted from the waitlist shouldn't determine whether or not you get a need based scholarship. Just my experience. Congrats on the acceptance!

How has the first year at SLU been for you?

Reactions: 2 users
I completed the MAPP program at SLU and am looking for someone to take over my lease. I have a female roommate. The apartment is within walking distance of the medical school. I personally walked to classes for the SLU Post-baccalaureate Program every day. Rent is very reasonable with water and trash service included. The only utilities are gas and electric. PM me if interested.

How has the first year at SLU been for you?
I've really enjoyed first year. I'm very happy at SLU. I like the city a lot more then I thought I would (I'm from the west coast).
The probation doesn't worry me. I believe it will get fixed and SLU will continue to produce great doctors.
Dr. Slavin leaving sucks. Some other school will be very lucky to have him. But SLU will continue to be a great place to study. Lots of great teaching faculty and plenty of opportunities. Let me know if you have any other questions I can try to answer. Congrats to all those accepted! I was accepted in June last year so there is still hope for those on the waitlist.

I've really enjoyed first year. I'm very happy at SLU. I like the city a lot more then I thought I would (I'm from the west coast).
The probation doesn't worry me. I believe it will get fixed and SLU will continue to produce great doctors.
Dr. Slavin leaving sucks. Some other school will be very lucky to have him. But SLU will continue to be a great place to study. Lots of great teaching faculty and plenty of opportunities. Let me know if you have any other questions I can try to answer. Congrats to all those accepted! I was accepted in June last year so there is still hope for those on the waitlist.
There is a few different areas around the school that seem to be top choices in terms of finding an apartment. Can you comment on any of them? Like downtown vs central west, etc.

I got accepted from the waitlist this morning as well!! :clap: Super excited and most likely will be attending. I hope all of you on the waitlist hear good news soon!!

congrats!
would you mind positng ur stats?

There is a few different areas around the school that seem to be top choices in terms of finding an apartment. Can you comment on any of them? Like downtown vs central west, etc.
I can't comment on the areas around the school too much. I live a little outside the city. Your best bet would be looking through the orientation website's housing document. They should have contacts on there for CWE and downtown. Sorry can't help more!

3 points to note:

1. Probation of a US MD school should perk up your ears.
2. Releasing a high profile, apparently well liked student advocate (Slavin) tells you that significant internal conflict is occurring.
3. Take a look at recent events at Ohio State for another viewpoint.

3 points to note:

1. Probation of a US MD school should perk up your ears.
2. Releasing a high profile, apparently well liked student advocate (Slavin) tells you that significant internal conflict is occurring.
3. Take a look at recent events at Ohio State for another viewpoint.

Your point being...

Based on OPs history s/hes applying this current cycle. Apparently they decided to just pop in and be negative
Yep, sounds to me like someone trying to run people off to stir up some more alternate list movement.

Attending Faculty elsewhere -- no skin in the game.

Just to help out the uninformed, what is going on at Ohio State right now?

For those accepted from the waitlist, how long before you got your financial aid award packet?